IndiaDivine.org

A life is a life?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hmmmm....as much as I am a vegan who truly cares about all animals (dogs, cats, cows, pigs and yes, even rats)....I still have distinctions of life. I think some forms of life are higher than others...have the capacity to feel more pain than others. I maybe wrong! Now, I personally do feel bad if I accidentally kill a spider (yes, it makes me pause) I would still put pigs and cows (in this case pig and cow meat at Trader Joe's) ahead of the bug wax issue. I would do this because, from my observation (although I maybe wrong) I think cows and pigs have a larger capacity to suffer and are higher on the evolutionary scale. It's not to say I would not avoid the bug wax...I just wouldn't make a "campaign" out of it.

I would dare say I could make distinctions for humans as well. I would save a person who does good before I would save a person who ruins the beauty and peace for others. This situation doesn't happen often...but if I had to I would prioritize with whatever information I had on hand.

Kristina

In a message dated 7/20/04 8:12:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 16 Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:09:44 +0100 "Jo" <HeartworkRe: Digest Number 1317Hi GaijeI don't know the figures for the percentages of the insect population killedand the dog population killed - do you? and does it mattter - a life is alife!Jo

Guest guest

In a message dated 7/21/2004 8:23:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time, lv2breathe writes:

Hmmmm....as much as I am a vegan who truly cares about all animals (dogs, cats, cows, pigs and yes, even rats)....I still have distinctions of life. I think some forms of life are higher than others...have the capacity to feel more pain than others. I maybe wrong! Now, I personally do feel bad if I accidentally kill a spider (yes, it makes me pause) I would still put pigs and cows (in this case pig and cow meat at Trader Joe's) ahead of the bug wax issue. I would do this because, from my observation (although I maybe wrong) I think cows and pigs have a larger capacity to suffer and are higher on the evolutionary scale. It's not to say I would not avoid the bug wax...I just wouldn't make a "campaign" out of it.

I would dare say I could make distinctions for humans as well. I would save a person who does good before I would save a person who ruins the beauty and peace for others. This situation doesn't happen often...but if I had to I would prioritize with whatever information I had on hand.

Kristina

i agree completly. a lot of people think that vegans think that all life is equal and thats that. but in reality we understand that to kill a bee gathering honey isnt so bad for the bee than it is to kill a cow in a slaughter house. one dies much faster and doesnt suffer like the cows do. i have never said that a crabs life is more important than that of a cow or even my own. though i think that a crab is an animal and does deserve a life there is still a destinction as to how much pain and suffering one animal experiences over another. so yeah. i agree.

heart,jen.

Guest guest

Hi Kristina

I guess to us our lives are more important - but to the bugs their lives are most likely more important than ours. The only problem is that we have the ability to kill off millions of bugs to make shellac, whereas they don't have the ability to return the favour.

Jo

-

lv2breathe

Cc: Lv2breathe

Wednesday, July 21, 2004 4:20 PM

Re: A life is a life?

Kristina

In a message dated 7/20/04 8:12:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 16 Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:09:44 +0100 "Jo" <HeartworkRe: Digest Number 1317Hi GaijeI don't know the figures for the percentages of the insect population killedand the dog population killed - do you? and does it mattter - a life is alife!Jo

To send an email to -

Guest guest

In a message dated 7/21/2004 3:16:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time, metalscarab writes:

I think it might be a good idea to read up on the production of honey and the clipping of the queen bees wings, and the killing off at the end of the year before stating that their lives are not interfered with etc.

I shall have to tell my friend who runs the Crustacean Protection Society that crabs, lobsters etc. don't suffer when boiled alive.

Maybe the assumption that the suffering is not the same is just a mistake made through ignorance.

Jo

i feel as though words have been put in my mouth. you must remember that I am VEGAN and i am vegan for a reason, i do not beleive it is right for animals to suffer, die, or anything of the kind for food. i do NOT eat honey. I do not eat crabs. I was simply stating a point that some animals do know suffering a little more than others. not that those animals do not suffer becuase i NEVER said that. i just said that i personally have never said that animals lives are more important or LESS important than my own. i really would appreciate words not being put in my mouth and if you really thought i felt like that then you should have asked me becuase now i am offended.

heart,jen.

Guest guest

I think it might be a good idea to read up on the production of honey and the clipping of the queen bees wings, and the killing off at the end of the year before stating that their lives are not interfered with etc.

I shall have to tell my friend who runs the Crustacean Protection Society that crabs, lobsters etc. don't suffer when boiled alive.

Maybe the assumption that the suffering is not the same is just a mistake made through ignorance.

Jo

i agree completly. a lot of people think that vegans think that all life is equal and thats that. but in reality we understand that to kill a bee gathering honey isnt so bad for the bee than it is to kill a cow in a slaughter house. one dies much faster and doesnt suffer like the cows do. i have never said that a crabs life is more important than that of a cow or even my own. though i think that a crab is an animal and does deserve a life there is still a destinction as to how much pain and suffering one animal experiences over another. so yeah. i agree.

heart,jen.To send an email to -

Guest guest

In a message dated 7/21/2004 6:48:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tarasch7 writes:

Everyday vegans and nonvegans worldwide involve themselves in harming living things.. simply wearing cotton, driving our cars, going into our office buildings, coffee we drink, diamonds we wear.. the list goes on....xo Tara

you are so right. lots of non vegan people i`ve met try to "trick me." you know how it goes: the stupid questions like "if you were in a wild forest and you had to killa nimals to live, would you?" or "if a bear was going to attack you and you had a gun would you kill yourself" etc. etc. and theres always those questions like "well you guy garden vegan burgers and gardenburger makes a non vegan veggie burger- isnt that supporting non vegan corporations?" and i simply say "just becuase i bought a car where the company makes a car with leather, even though i bought the non leather one, doesnt make me any less vegan. this world is soooo revolved around animals for its products that it is impossible to be 100% vegan. but you do what you can and you try as hard as you can"

heart,jen.

Guest guest

Everyday vegans and nonvegans worldwide involve themselves in harming living

things..

simply wearing cotton, driving our cars, going into our office buildings, coffee

we drink,

diamonds we wear.. the list goes on....

xo Tara

, xjenisveganx@a... wrote:

>

>

> In a message dated 7/21/2004 3:16:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

> metalscarab@o... writes:

>

> I think it might be a good idea to read up on the production of honey and

> the clipping of the queen bees wings, and the killing off at the end of the

> year before stating that their lives are not interfered with etc.

>

> I shall have to tell my friend who runs the Crustacean Protection Society

> that crabs, lobsters etc. don't suffer when boiled alive.

>

> Maybe the assumption that the suffering is not the same is just a mistake

> made through ignorance.

>

> Jo

>

>

>

>

> i feel as though words have been put in my mouth. you must remember that I

> am VEGAN and i am vegan for a reason, i do not beleive it is right for

animals

> to suffer, die, or anything of the kind for food. i do NOT eat honey. I do

> not eat crabs. I was simply stating a point that some animals do know

> suffering a little more than others. not that those animals do not suffer

becuase i

> NEVER said that. i just said that i personally have never said that animals

> lives are more important or LESS important than my own. i really would

> appreciate words not being put in my mouth and if you really thought i felt

like that

> then you should have asked me becuase now i am offended.

>

> heart,

> jen.