IndiaDivine.org

Tough Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I was sitting outside with my family for my dad's birthday and it was bad enough that there was nothing but dead animal and a relish tray to eat, but then they started to talk. After the discussion about the war and politics, which was about to make me pass out all by itself (which is also besides the point), they started talking about how one of the barns on our property would be great to raise catfish in.

I tried to laugh this off because this is beyond ridiculous for my family, but then they got technical with it. They started talking about how they could get government grants for it, because it was "conservation!", and how they would go around to restaurants to sell them on the side.

I stared my dad down for a LONG time, and then I had to retreat to my room because I've notice that when meat eaters are in groups, you just can't win.

What I don't understand about the majority of people (and I don't like to generalize but this just happens to be true) is how they feel that being vegan is ridiculous, extreme, and/or unnatural. For the most part I can handle this, but it is much harder when it comes to my family.

I don't know the point I'm getting at here, I guess I just need to get it out there so thanks for reading.

Shana

Guest guest

Hi Shana

I'm sorry you have been upset. It is difficult to understand why others do not hold the same truths as ourselves, and even more so when they are our family. I have no advice to offer - I just want you to know that it happens to us all.

Jo

I was sitting outside with my family for my dad's birthday and it was bad enough that there was nothing but dead animal and a relish tray to eat, but then they started to talk. After the discussion about the war and politics, which was about to make me pass out all by itself (which is also besides the point), they started talking about how one of the barns on our property would be great to raise catfish in.

I tried to laugh this off because this is beyond ridiculous for my family, but then they got technical with it. They started talking about how they could get government grants for it, because it was "conservation!", and how they would go around to restaurants to sell them on the side.

I stared my dad down for a LONG time, and then I had to retreat to my room because I've notice that when meat eaters are in groups, you just can't win.

What I don't understand about the majority of people (and I don't like to generalize but this just happens to be true) is how they feel that being vegan is ridiculous, extreme, and/or unnatural. For the most part I can handle this, but it is much harder when it comes to my family.

I don't know the point I'm getting at here, I guess I just need to get it out there so thanks for reading.

Shana

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Just a request for advice-

My family and I are not close. They resent any lifestyle behaviors I have which do not mirror their own, especially surrounding food.

They are coming to "visit" (check up on) me in September.

When we go to a restaurant so they can enjoy their steaks, etc., what are some good food combinations I could order in a restaurant that is not geared up for Vegans - and still have it be simple enough for the restaurant to prepare without causing a scene? If I am ready before we go, then it will not be so traumatic and we can proceed to arguing about something else.

Cynthia

-

Jo

Sunday, August 01, 2004 2:41 PM

Re: Tough Question

Hi Shana

I'm sorry you have been upset. It is difficult to understand why others do not hold the same truths as ourselves, and even more so when they are our family. I have no advice to offer - I just want you to know that it happens to us all.

Jo

Shana

To send an email to - To send an email to -

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/1/04 4:48:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 25 Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:21:59 -0400 "Cynthia Gadarian" <cgadarianRe: Tough QuestionJust a request for advice-My family and I are not close. They resent any lifestyle behaviors I have which do not mirror their own, especially surrounding food.They are coming to "visit" (check up on) me in September.When we go to a restaurant so they can enjoy their steaks, etc., what are some good food combinations I could order in a restaurant that is not geared up for Vegans - and still have it be simple enough for the restaurant to prepare without causing a scene? If I am ready before we go, then it will not be so traumatic and we can proceed to arguing about something else.Cynthia

When I am forced to go out to restaurants that are not veg friendly...I ask for potatos and salad...of course I ask them to make sure the dressings don't have cheese or anchovies. To make a meal I may ask for two pototos and some oil and vinegar on the side to dress it.

At one very traditional restaurant they weren't very willing to help me out...so I asked the waiter several times "Can the chef cook me up a vegetable plate special?" They kept on saying "we can give you pasta" I kept on saying "I don't do well with wheat". I kept on asking...assuming they should make an effort to please if they don't give me much of an option in the first place...he finally came back with a gorgeous vegetable platter that everyone was envious of.

So, don't be afraid to ask. Call ahead and ask the chef if he could make something special! I have heard that they often like special requests so they can exercise their creativity.

K

Guest guest

I usu. ask for this combo, that you can easily get anywhere (and won't be the same old boring "pasta primavera" - ho hum!)

Some kind of pasta, with olive oil, roasted red peppers, garlic, artichoke hearts, capers, black olives & cannellini beans (or other beans) if they have them, as the protein source. This is kind of a "tuscan" dish that most restaurants can easily accommodate. In your situation, you may want to call ahead to the restaurant, and have a pre-written note that you can quietly hand to the waitress to avoid any aggravation from your family. Good luck!

-------------- Original message --------------

My family and I are not close. They resent any lifestyle behaviors I have which do not mirror their own, especially surrounding food.

When we go to a restaurant so they can enjoy their steaks, etc., what are some good food combinations I could order in a restaurant that is not geared up for Vegans - and still have it be simple enough for the restaurant to prepare without causing a scene? If I am ready before we go, then it will not be so traumatic and we can proceed to arguing about something else.

Cynthia

-

Jo

Hi Shana

Jo

Shana

To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to -

Guest guest

At steak-y type places, I tend to go for some kind of green something or

other, and s big old order of fries.

Gaije

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 7:22pm, Cynthia Gadarian wrote:

> Just a request for advice-

>

> My family and I are not close. They resent any lifestyle behaviors I

> have which do not mirror their own, especially surrounding food.

>

> They are coming to " visit " (check up on) me in September.

>

> When we go to a restaurant so they can enjoy their steaks, etc., what

> are some good food combinations I could order in a restaurant that is

> not geared up for Vegans - and still have it be simple enough for the

> restaurant to prepare without causing a scene? If I am ready before we

> go, then it will not be so traumatic and we can proceed to arguing

> about something else.

>

> Cynthia

> -

> Jo

>

> Sunday, August 01, 2004 2:41 PM

> Re: Tough Question

>

>

> Hi Shana

>

> I'm sorry you have been upset. It is difficult to understand why

> others do not hold the same truths as ourselves, and even more so when

> they are our family. I have no advice to offer - I just want you to

> know that it happens to us all.

>

> Jo

>

>

>

>

> I was sitting outside with my family for my dad's birthday and it

> was bad enough that there was nothing but dead animal and a relish tray

> to eat, but then they started to talk. After the discussion about the

> war and politics, which was about to make me pass out all by itself

> (which is also besides the point), they started talking about how one

> of the barns on our property would be great to raise catfish in.

>

> I tried to laugh this off because this is beyond ridiculous for

> my family, but then they got technical with it. They started talking

> about how they could get government grants for it, because it was

> " conservation! " , and how they would go around to restaurants to sell

> them on the side.

>

> I stared my dad down for a LONG time, and then I had to retreat

> to my room because I've notice that when meat eaters are in groups, you

> just can't win.

>

> What I don't understand about the majority of people (and I don't

> like to generalize but this just happens to be true) is how they feel

> that being vegan is ridiculous, extreme, and/or unnatural. For the

> most part I can handle this, but it is much harder when it comes to my

> family.

>

> I don't know the point I'm getting at here, I guess I just need

> to get it out there so thanks for reading.

>

>

Shana

>

>

>

>

>

> ----------

>

>

>

> To send an email to

> -

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to

> -

>

>

>

• 2 weeks later...

You will also need to check that the pasta is not made with eggs!

The Valley Vegan.sblazar1 wrote:

I usu. ask for this combo, that you can easily get anywhere (and won't be the same old boring "pasta primavera" - ho hum!)

Some kind of pasta, with olive oil, roasted red peppers, garlic, artichoke hearts, capers, black olives & cannellini beans (or other beans) if they have them, as the protein source. This is kind of a "tuscan" dish that most restaurants can easily accommodate. In your situation, you may want to call ahead to the restaurant, and have a pre-written note that you can quietly hand to the waitress to avoid any aggravation from your family. Good luck!

-------------- Original message --------------

Cynthia

-

Jo

Hi Shana

Jo

Shana

To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to - Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

Also, if you know where you're going (maybe you could force an early

decision by telling them you'll need to make a reservation?) you could

call the restaurant ahead of time & tallk to them about it.

Gaije

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 5:15am, peter hurd wrote:

> You will also need to check that the pasta is not made with eggs!

> The Valley Vegan.

>

> sblazar1 wrote:

>

> I usu. ask for this combo, that you can easily get anywhere (and won't

> be the same old boring " pasta primavera " - ho hum!)

>

> Some kind of pasta, with olive oil, roasted red peppers, garlic,

> artichoke hearts, capers, black olives & cannellini beans (or other

> beans) if they have them, as the protein source. This is kind of a

> " tuscan " dish that most restaurants can easily accommodate. In your

> situation, you may want to call ahead to the restaurant, and have a

> pre-written note that you can quietly hand to the waitress to avoid any

> aggravation from your family. Good luck!

>

> -------------- Original message --------------

> Just a request for advice-

>

> My family and I are not close. They resent any lifestyle behaviors I

> have which do not mirror their own, especially surrounding food.

>

> They are coming to " visit " (check up on) me in September.

>

> When we go to a restaurant so they can enjoy their steaks, etc., what

> are some good food combinations I could order in a restaurant that is

> not geared up for Vegans - and still have it be simple enough for the

> restaurant to prepare without causing a scene? If I am ready before we

> go, then it will not be so traumatic and we can proceed to arguing

> about something else.

>

> Cynthia

> -

> Jo

>

> Sunday, August 01, 2004 2:41 PM

> Re: Tough Question

>

>

> Hi Shana

>

> I'm sorry you have been upset. It is difficult to understand why others

> do not hold the same truths as ourselves, and even more so when they

> are our family. I have no advice to offer - I just want you to know

> that it happens to us all.

>

> Jo

>

>

>

>

> I was sitting outside with my family for my dad's birthday and it was

> bad enough that there was nothing but dead animal and a relish tray to

> eat, but then they started to talk. After the discussion about the war

> and politics, which was about to make me pass out all by itself (which

> is also besides the point), they started talking about how one of the

> barns on our property would be great to raise catfish in.

>

> I tried to laugh this off because this is beyond ridiculous for my

> family, but then they got technical with it. They started talking about

> how they could get government grants for it, because it was

> " conservation! " , and how they would go around to restaurants to sell

> them on the side.

>

> I stared my dad down for a LONG time, and then I had to retreat to my

> room because I've notice that when meat eaters are in groups, you just

> can't win.

>

> What I don't understand about the majority of people (and I don't like

> to generalize but this just happens to be true) is how they feel that

> being vegan is ridiculous, extreme, and/or unnatural. For the most part

> I can handle this, but it is much harder when it comes to my family.

>

> I don't know the point I'm getting at here, I guess I just need to get

> it out there so thanks for reading.

>

> Shana

>

>

>

>

>

>

>