IndiaDivine.org

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've been

craving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk for

milk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg?

I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me a

vegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.

What a coincidence--I just baked some yesterday, and they're terrific. These are MINT chocolate chip cookies, though if you use vanilla extract instead of the peppermint, you might get something a little more like a regular chocolate chip cookie. Here's the recipe:

Dry ingredients: 2 cups spelt flour, 1 cup vegan chocolate chips, 1 cup chopped walnuts, 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 tsp. sea salt, 3/4 tsp. baking soda, 1/8 tsp. cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg. Wet ingredients: 2/3 cup maple syrup, 2/3 cup safflower oil, 2 Tbsp. filtered water, and 1 tsp. peppermint extract. Mix dry ingredients well; then mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add the wet to the dry and mix well. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 F. Place dough by large tablespoonfuls onto oiled cookie sheet, smashing a bit to flatten. Space well apart to give them room to spread. Bake 10-12 minutes, just until golden brown. Let cool on cookie sheet for 3-4 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 2 dozen large (4") cookies.

Happy munching!!silvertree173 <stellarlunar77 wrote:

Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've beencraving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk formilk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg? I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me avegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.To send an email to -

Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Enter now.

from vegweb

Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

3 cups Gold-Medal Flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking soda 2/3 cup vegetable shortening 1 large banana 1 cup softened non-hydrogenated vegan margarine 1 tablespoon vanilla 1 cup vegan sugar 1 cup packed (dark) vegan brown sugar 24 oz. vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips Directions: BLEND the banana so it is gooey or liquidy. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, leaving out salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips - stir. You may wish to add an extra tablespoon of vanilla or a few tablespoons of hot water if there is some powder remaining. Stir in salt and soda, then stir in chocolate chips. It should now look and smell like raw cookie dough, with a little hint of banana Drop tablespoonfuls on an UNGREASED baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes (take them out after 10 minutes, they'll look undone, but after a minute out of the oven they'll look perfect. if you leave them in for any more the bottoms will burn). Enjoy! Serves: 6-7 dozen Preparation time: 10 minutes

A Little Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie

1 cup unbleached white flour 2/3 cup rolled oats 1 tablespoon non aluminum baking powder 6 tablespoon soy non-hydrogenated vegan margarine 2/3 cup sucanant 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional) 1/3 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut (optional) 3/4 cup (or to taste) Sunspire Organic chocolate chips 1/3 cup vegan soymilk

Directions:

Mix together dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Add melted soy margarine and soy milk. Stir briefly, add chocolate chips and mix until blended. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 12. Serves: 8 - 10 Cookies

Jennys Famous Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Coconut, Walnut Cookies

1 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine 3/4 cup vegan brown sugar 3/4 cup vegan sugar Ener-G Egg Replacer = 2 "eggs" 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 1/4 cups flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon baking powder 1 cup choc. chips 1/4 or 1/2 cup (to taste) oatmeal (dry) 1/4 to 1/2 cup ( to taste) coconut(shredded) 1/4 to 1/2 cup( to taste) chopped walnuts

Directions:

Pre heat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together first 5 ingredients. Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, then add to the creamed mixture. Then stir in the choc. chips, oatmeal, coconut, and walnuts. Drop by tabelspoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes then turn sheet and bake for another 4 minutes. Cool well before removing from cookie sheet. Serves: 2 dozen Preparation time: 20 min silvertree173 Aug 26, 2004 4:59 PM Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies?? Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've beencraving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk formilk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg? I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me avegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.To send an email to -

Where do you find a non-hydrogenated vegan margerine or a shortening that's not hydrogenated? Whole foods doesn't carry either one here in Atlanta. Do you have a brand name I might request?

I'm also looking for a substitute formula for eggs in recipes (as a binding agent, mostly). A while back I heard about one made with water and flax meal, but can't find it now. Any suggestions?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

from vegweb

3 cups Gold-Medal Flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking soda 2/3 cup vegetable shortening 1 large banana 1 cup softened non-hydrogenated vegan margarine 1 tablespoon vanilla 1 cup vegan sugar 1 cup packed (dark) vegan brown sugar 24 oz. vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips Directions: BLEND the banana so it is gooey or liquidy. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, leaving out salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips - stir. You may wish to add an extra tablespoon of vanilla or a few tablespoons of hot water if there is some powder remaining. Stir in salt and soda, then stir in chocolate chips. It should now look and smell like raw cookie dough, with a little hint of banana Drop tablespoonfuls on an UNGREASED baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes (take them out after 10 minutes, they'll look undone, but after a minute out of the oven they'll look perfect. if you leave them in for any more the bottoms will burn). Enjoy! Serves: 6-7 dozen Preparation time: 10 minutes

1 cup unbleached white flour 2/3 cup rolled oats 1 tablespoon non aluminum baking powder 6 tablespoon soy non-hydrogenated vegan margarine 2/3 cup sucanant 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional) 1/3 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut (optional) 3/4 cup (or to taste) Sunspire Organic chocolate chips 1/3 cup vegan soymilk

Directions:

Mix together dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Add melted soy margarine and soy milk. Stir briefly, add chocolate chips and mix until blended. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 12. Serves: 8 - 10 Cookies

1 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine 3/4 cup vegan brown sugar 3/4 cup vegan sugar Ener-G Egg Replacer = 2 "eggs" 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 1/4 cups flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon baking powder 1 cup choc. chips 1/4 or 1/2 cup (to taste) oatmeal (dry) 1/4 to 1/2 cup ( to taste) coconut(shredded) 1/4 to 1/2 cup( to taste) chopped walnuts

Directions:

Pre heat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together first 5 ingredients. Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, then add to the creamed mixture. Then stir in the choc. chips, oatmeal, coconut, and walnuts. Drop by tabelspoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes then turn sheet and bake for another 4 minutes. Cool well before removing from cookie sheet. Serves: 2 dozen Preparation time: 20 min silvertree173 Aug 26, 2004 4:59 PM Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies?? Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've beencraving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk formilk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg? I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me avegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.To send an email to -

Hey, thank you! I will try it and let you know how they come out!

~Chrissie~

, Susan Spain <susanspain2004>

wrote:

> What a coincidence--I just baked some yesterday, and they're

terrific. These are MINT chocolate chip cookies, though if you use

vanilla extract instead of the peppermint, you might get something a

little more like a regular chocolate chip cookie. Here's the recipe:

> Dry ingredients: 2 cups spelt flour, 1 cup vegan chocolate chips, 1

cup chopped walnuts, 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 tsp. sea salt, 3/4 tsp.

baking soda, 1/8 tsp. cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg. Wet

ingredients: 2/3 cup maple syrup, 2/3 cup safflower oil, 2 Tbsp.

filtered water, and 1 tsp. peppermint extract. Mix dry ingredients

well; then mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add the wet to the

dry and mix well. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. In the meantime,

preheat oven to 350 F. Place dough by large tablespoonfuls onto oiled

cookie sheet, smashing a bit to flatten. Space well apart to give

them room to spread. Bake 10-12 minutes, just until golden brown. Let

cool on cookie sheet for 3-4 minutes before removing to wire rack to

cool completely. Makes about 2 dozen large (4 " ) cookies.

>

> Happy munching!!

>

> silvertree173 <stellarlunar77> wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've

been

> craving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk

for

> milk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg?

> I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought

me a

> vegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that

good.

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

hi susan,

whenever I'm making something that requires eggs, for example

pancakes, I use applesauce.

The result is that it tastes even better, than when I used to used

eggs. I'm not sure how much of a binding agent that is though.

There is a margerine out there that's not hydrogenated, which I

bought at a health food store a few months back, I just can't

remember the name right now!

wrote:

> Where do you find a non-hydrogenated vegan margerine or a

shortening that's not hydrogenated? Whole foods doesn't carry either

one here in Atlanta. Do you have a brand name I might request?

>

> I'm also looking for a substitute formula for eggs in recipes (as a

binding agent, mostly). A while back I heard about one made with

water and flax meal, but can't find it now. Any suggestions?

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> from vegweb

>

>

> Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

> Ingredients (use vegan versions):

> 3 cups Gold-Medal Flour

> 1 teaspoon salt

> 1 teaspoon baking soda

> 2/3 cup vegetable shortening

> 1 large banana

> 1 cup softened non-hydrogenated vegan margarine

> 1 tablespoon vanilla

> 1 cup vegan sugar

> 1 cup packed (dark) vegan brown sugar

> 24 oz. vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips

> Directions:

> BLEND the banana so it is gooey or liquidy.

> Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, leaving out salt, baking

soda, and chocolate chips - stir. You may wish to add an extra

tablespoon of vanilla or a few tablespoons of hot water if there is

some powder remaining.

> Stir in salt and soda, then stir in chocolate chips. It should now

look and smell like raw cookie dough, with a little hint of banana

> Drop tablespoonfuls on an UNGREASED baking sheet and bake at 350

for 10 minutes (take them out after 10 minutes, they'll look undone,

but after a minute out of the oven they'll look perfect. if you leave

them in for any more the bottoms will burn).

> Enjoy!

> Serves: 6-7 dozen

> Preparation time: 10 minutes

>

>

>

> A Little Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie

> 1 cup unbleached white flour

> 2/3 cup rolled oats

> 1 tablespoon non aluminum baking powder

> 6 tablespoon soy non-hydrogenated vegan margarine

> 2/3 cup sucanant

> 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

> 1/3 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut (optional)

> 3/4 cup (or to taste) Sunspire Organic chocolate chips

> 1/3 cup vegan soymilk

>

> Directions:

>

>

> Mix together dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Add melted soy

margarine and soy milk. Stir briefly, add chocolate chips and mix

until blended.

> Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 12.

> Serves: 8 - 10 Cookies

>

>

>

> Jennys Famous Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Coconut, Walnut Cookies

> 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine

> 3/4 cup vegan brown sugar

> 3/4 cup vegan sugar

> Ener-G Egg Replacer = 2 " eggs "

> 1 teaspoon vanilla

> 2 1/4 cups flour

> 1 teaspoon baking soda

> 1/2 teaspoon salt

> 1/8 teaspoon baking powder

> 1 cup choc. chips

> 1/4 or 1/2 cup (to taste) oatmeal (dry)

> 1/4 to 1/2 cup ( to taste) coconut(shredded)

> 1/4 to 1/2 cup( to taste) chopped walnuts

>

> Directions:

>

>

>

> Pre heat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together first 5 ingredients.

Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, then add

to the creamed mixture. Then stir in the choc. chips, oatmeal,

coconut, and walnuts. Drop by tabelspoon onto an ungreased cookie

sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes then turn sheet and bake

for another 4 minutes. Cool well before removing from cookie sheet.

> Serves: 2 dozen

> Preparation time: 20 min

>

>

> silvertree173

> Aug 26, 2004 4:59 PM

>

> Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies??

>

been

for

me a

good.

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

>

earth balance makes a non-hydrogenated vegan margarine Anouk Sickler Aug 27, 2004 10:13 AM Re: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies?? hi susan, whenever I'm making something that requires eggs, for example pancakes, I use applesauce. The result is that it tastes even better, than when I used to used eggs. I'm not sure how much of a binding agent that is though. There is a margerine out there that's not hydrogenated, which I bought at a health food store a few months back, I just can't remember the name right now! , Susan Spain <susanspain2004> wrote:> Where do you find a non-hydrogenated vegan margerine or a shortening that's not hydrogenated? Whole foods doesn't carry either one here in Atlanta. Do you have a brand name I might request?> > I'm also looking for a substitute formula for eggs in recipes (as a binding agent, mostly). A while back I heard about one made with water and flax meal, but can't find it now. Any suggestions?> > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> from vegweb> > > Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 3 cups Gold-Medal Flour > 1 teaspoon salt > 1 teaspoon baking soda > 2/3 cup vegetable shortening > 1 large banana > 1 cup softened non-hydrogenated vegan margarine > 1 tablespoon vanilla > 1 cup vegan sugar > 1 cup packed (dark) vegan brown sugar > 24 oz. vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips > Directions: > BLEND the banana so it is gooey or liquidy. > Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, leaving out salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips - stir. You may wish to add an extra tablespoon of vanilla or a few tablespoons of hot water if there is some powder remaining. > Stir in salt and soda, then stir in chocolate chips. It should now look and smell like raw cookie dough, with a little hint of banana > Drop tablespoonfuls on an UNGREASED baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes (take them out after 10 minutes, they'll look undone, but after a minute out of the oven they'll look perfect. if you leave them in for any more the bottoms will burn). > Enjoy! > Serves: 6-7 dozen > Preparation time: 10 minutes > > > > A Little Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 1 cup unbleached white flour > 2/3 cup rolled oats > 1 tablespoon non aluminum baking powder > 6 tablespoon soy non-hydrogenated vegan margarine > 2/3 cup sucanant > 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional) > 1/3 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut (optional) > 3/4 cup (or to taste) Sunspire Organic chocolate chips > 1/3 cup vegan soymilk > > Directions: > > > Mix together dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Add melted soy margarine and soy milk. Stir briefly, add chocolate chips and mix until blended. > Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 12. > Serves: 8 - 10 Cookies > > > > Jennys Famous Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Coconut, Walnut Cookies > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine > 3/4 cup vegan brown sugar > 3/4 cup vegan sugar > Ener-G Egg Replacer = 2 "eggs" > 1 teaspoon vanilla > 2 1/4 cups flour > 1 teaspoon baking soda > 1/2 teaspoon salt > 1/8 teaspoon baking powder > 1 cup choc. chips > 1/4 or 1/2 cup (to taste) oatmeal (dry) > 1/4 to 1/2 cup ( to taste) coconut(shredded) > 1/4 to 1/2 cup( to taste) chopped walnuts > > Directions: > > > > Pre heat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together first 5 ingredients. Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, then add to the creamed mixture. Then stir in the choc. chips, oatmeal, coconut, and walnuts. Drop by tabelspoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes then turn sheet and bake for another 4 minutes. Cool well before removing from cookie sheet. > Serves: 2 dozen > Preparation time: 20 min > > > silvertree173 > Aug 26, 2004 4:59 PM > > Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies?? > > Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've been> craving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk for> milk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg? > I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me a> vegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.> > > > To send an email to - > > > > >

there are a number of ways to create binders/*eggs*..including bananas

when i get home i'll try and post more

cheers

fraggle Susan Spain Aug 27, 2004 9:23 AM Re: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies??

Where do you find a non-hydrogenated vegan margerine or a shortening that's not hydrogenated? Whole foods doesn't carry either one here in Atlanta. Do you have a brand name I might request?

I'm also looking for a substitute formula for eggs in recipes (as a binding agent, mostly). A while back I heard about one made with water and flax meal, but can't find it now. Any suggestions?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

from vegweb

Directions:

Directions:

Here is the recipe I have for making a binding agent out of flax seeds:

Combine 1/3 cup water and 3-4 tsp. brown flax seeds. Bring to a boil on high heat then simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes until a slightly thickened gel begins to form. Strain the flax seed out of the liquid and use the gel in recipes. This recipe makes enough substitute for one egg. Increase the amounts as needs to substitute for 2, 3, or more eggs. Some people prefer to leave the flax seeds in the mixture after thickening or blend them into the gel before using. This may alter the recipe's taste a little.

Hope this helps!

~z

-

Susan Spain

Friday, August 27, 2004 11:23 AM

Re: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies??

from vegweb

Directions:

Directions:

Thanks, Anouk. I have used applesauce in place of shortening before, but never in place of an egg. I'll have to try that!Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

hi susan, whenever I'm making something that requires eggs, for example pancakes, I use applesauce. The result is that it tastes even better, than when I used to used eggs. I'm not sure how much of a binding agent that is though. There is a margerine out there that's not hydrogenated, which I bought at a health food store a few months back, I just can't remember the name right now! , Susan Spain <susanspain2004> wrote:> Where do you find a non-hydrogenated vegan margerine or a shortening that's not hydrogenated? Whole foods doesn't carry either one here in Atlanta. Do you have a brand name I might request?> > I'm also looking for a substitute formula for eggs in recipes (as a binding agent, mostly). A while back I

heard about one made with water and flax meal, but can't find it now. Any suggestions?> > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> from vegweb> > > Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 3 cups Gold-Medal Flour > 1 teaspoon salt > 1 teaspoon baking soda > 2/3 cup vegetable shortening > 1 large banana > 1 cup softened non-hydrogenated vegan margarine > 1 tablespoon vanilla > 1 cup vegan sugar > 1 cup packed (dark) vegan brown sugar > 24 oz. vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips > Directions: > BLEND the banana so it is gooey or liquidy. > Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, leaving out salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips -

stir. You may wish to add an extra tablespoon of vanilla or a few tablespoons of hot water if there is some powder remaining. > Stir in salt and soda, then stir in chocolate chips. It should now look and smell like raw cookie dough, with a little hint of banana > Drop tablespoonfuls on an UNGREASED baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes (take them out after 10 minutes, they'll look undone, but after a minute out of the oven they'll look perfect. if you leave them in for any more the bottoms will burn). > Enjoy! > Serves: 6-7 dozen > Preparation time: 10 minutes > > > > A Little Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 1 cup unbleached white flour > 2/3 cup rolled oats > 1 tablespoon non aluminum baking powder > 6 tablespoon soy non-hydrogenated vegan

margarine > 2/3 cup sucanant > 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional) > 1/3 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut (optional) > 3/4 cup (or to taste) Sunspire Organic chocolate chips > 1/3 cup vegan soymilk > > Directions: > > > Mix together dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Add melted soy margarine and soy milk. Stir briefly, add chocolate chips and mix until blended. > Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 12. > Serves: 8 - 10 Cookies > > > > Jennys Famous Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Coconut, Walnut Cookies > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine > 3/4 cup vegan brown sugar > 3/4 cup vegan sugar > Ener-G Egg Replacer = 2 "eggs"

> 1 teaspoon vanilla > 2 1/4 cups flour > 1 teaspoon baking soda > 1/2 teaspoon salt > 1/8 teaspoon baking powder > 1 cup choc. chips > 1/4 or 1/2 cup (to taste) oatmeal (dry) > 1/4 to 1/2 cup ( to taste) coconut(shredded) > 1/4 to 1/2 cup( to taste) chopped walnuts > > Directions: > > > > Pre heat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together first 5 ingredients. Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, then add to the creamed mixture. Then stir in the choc. chips, oatmeal, coconut, and walnuts. Drop by tabelspoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes then turn sheet and bake for another 4 minutes. Cool well before removing from cookie sheet. > Serves:

2 dozen > Preparation time: 20 min > > > silvertree173 > Aug 26, 2004 4:59 PM > > Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies?? > > Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've been> craving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk for> milk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg? > I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me a> vegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.> > > > To send an email to - > > > > >

I've never seen that brand, but I'll look for it tomorrow. Thanks!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

earth balance makes a non-hydrogenated vegan margarine Anouk Sickler Aug 27, 2004 10:13 AM Re: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies?? hi susan, whenever I'm making something that requires eggs, for example pancakes, I use applesauce. The result is that it tastes even better, than when I used to used eggs. I'm not sure how much of a binding agent that is though. There is a margerine out there that's not hydrogenated, which I bought at a health food store a few months back, I just can't remember the name right now! , Susan Spain <susanspain2004> wrote:> Where do you find a non-hydrogenated vegan margerine or a shortening that's not hydrogenated? Whole foods doesn't carry either

one here in Atlanta. Do you have a brand name I might request?> > I'm also looking for a substitute formula for eggs in recipes (as a binding agent, mostly). A while back I heard about one made with water and flax meal, but can't find it now. Any suggestions?> > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> from vegweb> > > Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 3 cups Gold-Medal Flour > 1 teaspoon salt > 1 teaspoon baking soda > 2/3 cup vegetable shortening > 1 large banana > 1 cup softened non-hydrogenated vegan margarine > 1 tablespoon vanilla > 1 cup vegan sugar > 1 cup packed (dark) vegan brown sugar > 24 oz. vegan semi-sweet

chocolate chips > Directions: > BLEND the banana so it is gooey or liquidy. > Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, leaving out salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips - stir. You may wish to add an extra tablespoon of vanilla or a few tablespoons of hot water if there is some powder remaining. > Stir in salt and soda, then stir in chocolate chips. It should now look and smell like raw cookie dough, with a little hint of banana > Drop tablespoonfuls on an UNGREASED baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes (take them out after 10 minutes, they'll look undone, but after a minute out of the oven they'll look perfect. if you leave them in for any more the bottoms will burn). > Enjoy! > Serves: 6-7 dozen > Preparation time: 10 minutes > > > > A Little Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 1 cup

unbleached white flour > 2/3 cup rolled oats > 1 tablespoon non aluminum baking powder > 6 tablespoon soy non-hydrogenated vegan margarine > 2/3 cup sucanant > 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional) > 1/3 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut (optional) > 3/4 cup (or to taste) Sunspire Organic chocolate chips > 1/3 cup vegan soymilk > > Directions: > > > Mix together dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Add melted soy margarine and soy milk. Stir briefly, add chocolate chips and mix until blended. > Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 12. > Serves: 8 - 10 Cookies > > > > Jennys Famous Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Coconut, Walnut Cookies > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 1

cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine > 3/4 cup vegan brown sugar > 3/4 cup vegan sugar > Ener-G Egg Replacer = 2 "eggs" > 1 teaspoon vanilla > 2 1/4 cups flour > 1 teaspoon baking soda > 1/2 teaspoon salt > 1/8 teaspoon baking powder > 1 cup choc. chips > 1/4 or 1/2 cup (to taste) oatmeal (dry) > 1/4 to 1/2 cup ( to taste) coconut(shredded) > 1/4 to 1/2 cup( to taste) chopped walnuts > > Directions: > > > > Pre heat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together first 5 ingredients. Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, then add to the creamed mixture. Then stir in the choc. chips, oatmeal, coconut, and walnuts. Drop by

tabelspoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes then turn sheet and bake for another 4 minutes. Cool well before removing from cookie sheet. > Serves: 2 dozen > Preparation time: 20 min > > > silvertree173 > Aug 26, 2004 4:59 PM > > Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies?? > > Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've been> craving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk for> milk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg? > I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me a> vegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.> > > > To send an email to - >

> > > >

Yes! That sounds exactly like what I heard before. Thanks, Zachary. You've made my day.Zachary Johnson <z.johnson wrote:

Combine 1/3 cup water and 3-4 tsp. brown flax seeds. Bring to a boil on high heat then simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes until a slightly thickened gel begins to form. Strain the flax seed out of the liquid and use the gel in recipes. This recipe makes enough substitute for one egg. Increase the amounts as needs to substitute for 2, 3, or more eggs. Some people prefer to leave the flax seeds in the mixture after thickening or blend them into the gel before using. This may alter the recipe's taste a little.

Hope this helps!

~z

-

Susan Spain

from vegweb

Directions:

Directions:

its pretty prevalent here..tho dunno about yer neck o da woods

http://www.earthbalance.net/

Susan Spain Aug 27, 2004 3:59 PM Re: Re: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies??

I've never seen that brand, but I'll look for it tomorrow. Thanks!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

earth balance makes a non-hydrogenated vegan margarine Anouk Sickler Aug 27, 2004 10:13 AM Re: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies?? hi susan, whenever I'm making something that requires eggs, for example pancakes, I use applesauce. The result is that it tastes even better, than when I used to used eggs. I'm not sure how much of a binding agent that is though. There is a margerine out there that's not hydrogenated, which I bought at a health food store a few months back, I just can't remember the name right now! , Susan Spain <susanspain2004> wrote:> Where do you find a non-hydrogenated vegan margerine or a shortening that's not hydrogenated? Whole foods doesn't carry either one here in Atlanta. Do you have a brand name I might request?> > I'm also looking for a substitute formula for eggs in recipes (as a binding agent, mostly). A while back I heard about one made with water and flax meal, but can't find it now. Any suggestions?> > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> from vegweb> > > Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 3 cups Gold-Medal Flour > 1 teaspoon salt > 1 teaspoon baking soda > 2/3 cup vegetable shortening > 1 large banana > 1 cup softened non-hydrogenated vegan margarine > 1 tablespoon vanilla > 1 cup vegan sugar > 1 cup packed (dark) vegan brown sugar > 24 oz. vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips > Directions: > BLEND the banana so it is gooey or liquidy. > Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, leaving out salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips - stir. You may wish to add an extra tablespoon of vanilla or a few tablespoons of hot water if there is some powder remaining. > Stir in salt and soda, then stir in chocolate chips. It should now look and smell like raw cookie dough, with a little hint of banana > Drop tablespoonfuls on an UNGREASED baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes (take them out after 10 minutes, they'll look undone, but after a minute out of the oven they'll look perfect. if you leave them in for any more the bottoms will burn). > Enjoy! > Serves: 6-7 dozen > Preparation time: 10 minutes > > > > A Little Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 1 cup unbleached white flour > 2/3 cup rolled oats > 1 tablespoon non aluminum baking powder > 6 tablespoon soy non-hydrogenated vegan margarine > 2/3 cup sucanant > 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional) > 1/3 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut (optional) > 3/4 cup (or to taste) Sunspire Organic chocolate chips > 1/3 cup vegan soymilk > > Directions: > > > Mix together dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Add melted soy margarine and soy milk. Stir briefly, add chocolate chips and mix until blended. > Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 12. > Serves: 8 - 10 Cookies > > > > Jennys Famous Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Coconut, Walnut Cookies > Ingredients (use vegan versions): > 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine > 3/4 cup vegan brown sugar > 3/4 cup vegan sugar > Ener-G Egg Replacer = 2 "eggs" > 1 teaspoon vanilla > 2 1/4 cups flour > 1 teaspoon baking soda > 1/2 teaspoon salt > 1/8 teaspoon baking powder > 1 cup choc. chips > 1/4 or 1/2 cup (to taste) oatmeal (dry) > 1/4 to 1/2 cup ( to taste) coconut(shredded) > 1/4 to 1/2 cup( to taste) chopped walnuts > > Directions: > > > > Pre heat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together first 5 ingredients. Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, then add to the creamed mixture. Then stir in the choc. chips, oatmeal, coconut, and walnuts. Drop by tabelspoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes then turn sheet and bake for another 4 minutes. Cool well before removing from cookie sheet. > Serves: 2 dozen > Preparation time: 20 min > > > silvertree173 > Aug 26, 2004 4:59 PM > > Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies?? > > Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've been> craving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk for> milk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg? > I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me a> vegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.> > > > To send an email to - > > > > >

I'm glad I could help.

-

Susan Spain

Friday, August 27, 2004 6:12 PM

Yes! That sounds exactly like what I heard before. Thanks, Zachary. You've made my day.Zachary Johnson <z.johnson wrote:

Hope this helps!

~z

-

Susan Spain

from vegweb

Directions:

Directions:

I found at this organic market that I go to that is vegan approved I

think it is called " Ener-G egg replacer " I have not used it yet but

today is my grocery day so I will pick up some and let you know how

it is....But certainly the bananna and the applesauce will do the

trick as well :-)

PS- This vegan lifestyle is fairly new to me and things have been so

much better since my lifestyle change...Any advice for the semi-

newbie???

PS- This vegan lifestyle is fairly new to me and things have been so much better since my lifestyle change...Any advice for the semi-newbie??? welcome and salutations

go slow

take it easy

read/learn/absorb

don't get upset er overwhelmed

Hi Chrissie,

Looks like you already have a few great recipes. I don't want to

overwhelm you but I just HAVE to share my favorite recipe. It is

from the book Vegan Vittles by Joanne Stepaniak, which you must get

because it has SO many fabulous recipes in it. In any case, I've

posted the recipe below (sounds similar to the other one posted from

Garden of Vegan, but is a little different). Also, I use Earth

Balance margarine on a regular basis and I LOVE it. I hope you are

able to get your hands on it. Also, I do use the Ener-G Egg Replacer

when I need to replace eggs and so far it has worked well. It's very

handy to have on hand. It tells you how to use it in place of whole

eggs, egg whites, or egg yolks, so it's very versatile. Enjoy! Sienna

Recipe Name: The Ultimate Chocolate-Chip Cookie

Serves: 16

Ingredients:

3/4 c quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)

1/2 c whole-wheat pastry flour

1/2 c walnuts, chopped

1/2 c semisweet vegan chocolate chips

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp baking soda

1/4 c canola oil

1/4 c pure maple syrup

1 tbsp water

1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Set aside.

2. Place oats, flour, nuts, chocolate chips, salt, and baking soda

in a large mixing bowl. Stir with a wire whisk.

3. Place the oil, maple syrup, water, and vanilla in a small mixing

bowl and beat vigorously with a wire whisk until emulsified. Stir

into the oat-flour mixture, mixing just until everything is evenly

moistened. Let sit 5 minutes.

4. Drop slightly rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared

baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. The dough will be crumbly.

Flatten with your hand to 1/3-inch thick. Smooth the edges to make

each cookie uniformly round, gently pressing the dough so that the

cookies hold together.

5. Bake one sheet at a time on the center shelf of the oven until

cookies are lightly brown, about 18 minutes. Transfer to a cooling

rack and cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the

refrigerator.

, " silvertree173 "

<stellarlunar77> wrote:

been

for

me a

good.

Sure, let us know how it is, YBV. Thanks.your_blonde_vegan <your_blonde_vegan wrote:

I found at this organic market that I go to that is vegan approved I think it is called "Ener-G egg replacer" I have not used it yet but today is my grocery day so I will pick up some and let you know how it is....But certainly the bananna and the applesauce will do the trick as well :-)PS- This vegan lifestyle is fairly new to me and things have been so much better since my lifestyle change...Any advice for the semi-newbie???To send an email to -

Hey, I just got Joanne Stepaniak's THE ULTIMATE UNCHEESE COOKBOOK, and tried the Nacho cheese recipe. It was good, but became great when I added chopped, drained and seeded tomatoes, and diced fresh jalepeno's. My husband (a vegetarian clinging to his cheese) said it was great! Now I can't wait to try some of the other recipes.

Susanebippity <ebippity wrote:

Hi Chrissie,Looks like you already have a few great recipes. I don't want to overwhelm you but I just HAVE to share my favorite recipe. It is from the book Vegan Vittles by Joanne Stepaniak, which you must get because it has SO many fabulous recipes in it. In any case, I've posted the recipe below (sounds similar to the other one posted from Garden of Vegan, but is a little different). Also, I use Earth Balance margarine on a regular basis and I LOVE it. I hope you are able to get your hands on it. Also, I do use the Ener-G Egg Replacer when I need to replace eggs and so far it has worked well. It's very handy to have on hand. It tells you how to use it in place of whole eggs, egg whites, or egg yolks, so it's very versatile. Enjoy! SiennaRecipe Name: The Ultimate Chocolate-Chip CookieServes: 16Ingredients:

3/4 c quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)1/2 c whole-wheat pastry flour1/2 c walnuts, chopped1/2 c semisweet vegan chocolate chips1/4 tsp salt1/8 tsp baking soda1/4 c canola oil1/4 c pure maple syrup1 tbsp water1 tsp vanilla extractInstructions: 1. Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.2. Place

oats, flour, nuts, chocolate chips, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Stir with a wire whisk.3. Place the oil, maple syrup, water, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl and beat vigorously with a wire whisk until emulsified. Stir into the oat-flour mixture, mixing just until everything is evenly moistened. Let sit 5 minutes.4. Drop slightly rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. The dough will be crumbly. Flatten with your hand to 1/3-inch thick. Smooth the edges to make each cookie uniformly round, gently pressing the dough so that the cookies hold together.5. Bake one sheet at a time on the center shelf of the oven until cookies are lightly brown, about 18 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. , "silvertree173" <stellarlunar77> wrote:> Does

anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've been> craving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk for> milk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg? > I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me a> vegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.To send an email to -

Hi all- thanks for the recipes... I'm gonna try 'em all. And also I

didn't know about the banana/applesauce thing for replacing eggs, but

I'm also going to L@@k for the Egg Replacer because I kinda miss

omeletes! Oh, Earth Balance, that's what I use! I remember picking

the stuff up for the first time and thinking " this isn't going to be

good " butter it's better than any margerine or butter I've ever tasted

in my life.

~Chrissie~

, " ebippity " <ebippity> wrote:

> Hi Chrissie,

>

> Looks like you already have a few great recipes. I don't want to

> overwhelm you but I just HAVE to share my favorite recipe. It is

> from the book Vegan Vittles by Joanne Stepaniak, which you must get

> because it has SO many fabulous recipes in it. In any case, I've

> posted the recipe below (sounds similar to the other one posted from

> Garden of Vegan, but is a little different). Also, I use Earth

> Balance margarine on a regular basis and I LOVE it. I hope you are

> able to get your hands on it. Also, I do use the Ener-G Egg Replacer

> when I need to replace eggs and so far it has worked well. It's very

> handy to have on hand. It tells you how to use it in place of whole

> eggs, egg whites, or egg yolks, so it's very versatile. Enjoy! Sienna

>

> Recipe Name: The Ultimate Chocolate-Chip Cookie

>

> Serves: 16

>

> Ingredients:

> 3/4 c quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)

> 1/2 c whole-wheat pastry flour

> 1/2 c walnuts, chopped

> 1/2 c semisweet vegan chocolate chips

> 1/4 tsp salt

> 1/8 tsp baking soda

> 1/4 c canola oil

> 1/4 c pure maple syrup

> 1 tbsp water

> 1 tsp vanilla extract

>

> Instructions:

> 1. Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

> Set aside.

> 2. Place oats, flour, nuts, chocolate chips, salt, and baking soda

> in a large mixing bowl. Stir with a wire whisk.

> 3. Place the oil, maple syrup, water, and vanilla in a small mixing

> bowl and beat vigorously with a wire whisk until emulsified. Stir

> into the oat-flour mixture, mixing just until everything is evenly

> moistened. Let sit 5 minutes.

> 4. Drop slightly rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared

> baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. The dough will be crumbly.

> Flatten with your hand to 1/3-inch thick. Smooth the edges to make

> each cookie uniformly round, gently pressing the dough so that the

> cookies hold together.

> 5. Bake one sheet at a time on the center shelf of the oven until

> cookies are lightly brown, about 18 minutes. Transfer to a cooling

> rack and cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the

> refrigerator.

>

>

> , " silvertree173 "

> <stellarlunar77> wrote:

> > Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've

> been

> > craving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk

> for

> > milk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg?

> > I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought

> me a

> > vegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that

> good.

Yum! That sounds so good. I have been hearing things about that

cookbook and debating buying it for some time now. Could be quite

handy for when non-vegan friends visit and want something " cheesy. "

Sara

wrote:

> Hey, I just got Joanne Stepaniak's THE ULTIMATE UNCHEESE COOKBOOK,

and tried the Nacho cheese recipe. It was good, but became great when

I added chopped, drained and seeded tomatoes, and diced fresh

jalepeno's. My husband (a vegetarian clinging to his cheese) said it

was great! Now I can't wait to try some of the other recipes.

>

> Susan

You asked!

http://vegweb.com/food/sweets/4365.shtml

http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?58

http://recipes.offline.org.uk/index.php?action=getrecipe & id=10

Happy Baking ( send me a cookie?........second thoughts, just send me the chocolate!)

The Valley Vegan.....silvertree173 <stellarlunar77 wrote:

Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've beencraving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk formilk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg? I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me avegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.

...and I received! Lots of people sent in really yummy sounding

receipes so thanks to all of you.. I guess now I've got some baking to

do... which will require a trip to the grocery store first. I've been

living on rice and tomato soup for a week. A horrible diet to

compliment a torturous work week-- I'm tired and HUNGRY!!

~Chrissie~

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> You asked!

> http://vegweb.com/food/sweets/4365.shtml

> http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?58

> http://recipes.offline.org.uk/index.php?action=getrecipe & id=10

> Happy Baking ( send me a cookie?........second thoughts, just send

me the chocolate!)

> The Valley Vegan.....

>

> silvertree173 <stellarlunar77> wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've been

> craving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk for

> I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me a

> vegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

sounds like me half the bloody time...

tho...mine usually collapses into pasta and tomatoes..

and beer...

its own food group....

:) silvertree173 Sep 3, 2004 5:34 PM Re: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies?? ..and I received! Lots of people sent in really yummy soundingreceipes so thanks to all of you.. I guess now I've got some baking todo... which will require a trip to the grocery store first. I've beenliving on rice and tomato soup for a week. A horrible diet tocompliment a torturous work week-- I'm tired and HUNGRY!!~Chrissie~ , peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:> You asked!> http://vegweb.com/food/sweets/4365.shtml> http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?58> http://recipes.offline.org.uk/index.php?action=getrecipe & id=10> Happy Baking ( send me a cookie?........second thoughts, just sendme the chocolate!)> The Valley Vegan.....> > silvertree173 <stellarlunar77> wrote:> Does anyone have a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies? I've been> craving them and thought maybe I should try substituting soy milk for> milk and stuff like that but what would I use instead of the egg? > I've been craving chocolate chip cookies ever since my mom bought me a> vegan one at the store, which was sweet of her, but it wasn't that good.> > > > > To send an email to - >