IndiaDivine.org

Angry!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am very angry. I think I may be making a big deal of this, so I am here to discuss it with you.

There is a commercial for an asthma medication that shows a goldfish in a fishbowl of water. As the announcer drones on and on about how asthmatics are affected by asthma, the level of water in the fishbowl goes down, then down again, then down again, etc. The final shot is the fish struggling to breathe. Then a child's voice (a child who has asthma supposedly), says, "I don't want to be like a fish out of water." All the while the fish is desperately trying to breathe in about 2 inches of water.

I cannot watch it. I have to turn the channel when it is on.

What do you think?

Cynthia

Hmm...I think I've seen that but I don't remember- is it a real fish?

I either saw it or something like it but the fish looked

computer-generated (they made its eyes bug out and you could tell it

was fake) so it didn't bother me. Also I know people with really bad

asthma and that is really how it feels though I certainly don't

condone the commercial if they used a real fish. They were probably

just trying to use an image that can make the average viewer

understand how severe asthma must feel, but of course they could have

conveyed it in a far more humane way.

~Chrissie~

, " Cynthia Gadarian " <cgadarian@a...>

wrote:

> I am very angry. I think I may be making a big deal of this, so I

am here to discuss it with you.

>

> There is a commercial for an asthma medication that shows a goldfish

in a fishbowl of water. As the announcer drones on and on about how

asthmatics are affected by asthma, the level of water in the fishbowl

goes down, then down again, then down again, etc. The final shot is

the fish struggling to breathe. Then a child's voice (a child who has

asthma supposedly), says, " I don't want to be like a fish out of

water. " All the while the fish is desperately trying to breathe in

about 2 inches of water.

>

> I cannot watch it. I have to turn the channel when it is on.

>

> What do you think?

>

> Cynthia

I know what you mean, I have seen this commercial, but there are

also many other things which I see in television that bother me being

a sensitive and vegan person.

I am really bothered by those reality shows in which there's a

contest for which any animals are involved, like eating live worms,

or insects, or goldfish. These are mainly for shock value and I

believe are irresponsible in showing respect for live beings.

-anouk

Hi Cynthia

It is disgraceful. I have not seen this advert - which country are you from?

I would suggest writing to whatever bodies you can to complain - including the tv company and the asthma drug producer. Write to papers and contact animal rights organisations so that they are aware of the advert.

Jo

I am very angry. I think I may be making a big deal of this, so I am here to discuss it with you.

Colin gets asthma (luckily only once a year (now)) and I know that if he was watching telly while suffering from asthma and that advert came on it would make him ten times worse - so it is not a very responsible advert for an asthma company to put on.

Jo

Hmm...I think I've seen that but I don't remember- is it a real fish?I either saw it or something like it but the fish lookedcomputer-generated (they made its eyes bug out and you could tell itwas fake) so it didn't bother me. Also I know people with really badasthma and that is really how it feels though I certainly don'tcondone the commercial if they used a real fish. They were probablyjust trying to use an image that can make the average viewerunderstand how severe asthma must feel, but of course they could haveconveyed it in a far more humane way.~Chrissie~

Hi Cynthia

> There is a commercial for an asthma medication that shows a goldfish in a fishbowl of water. As the announcer drones on and

> on about how asthmatics are affected by asthma, the level of water in the fishbowl goes down, then down again, then down again,

> etc. The final shot is the fish struggling to breathe. Then a child's voice (a child who has asthma supposedly), says, "I don't

> want to be like a fish out of water." All the while the fish is desperately trying to breathe in about 2 inches of water.

I agree with you - they shouldn't be allowed to make adverts like that. I hope that it's been computer generated rather than actually torturing a fish (I haven't seen the advert), but they still shouldn't give the impression anyway! If you're in the UK, you could complain to the Advertising Standards Authority.

BB

Peter

I have heard of such programmes - but don't watch them - they seem to call them reality shows but from what I heard they are far from my reality.

Jo

I know what you mean, I have seen this commercial, but there are also many other things which I see in television that bother me being a sensitive and vegan person. I am really bothered by those reality shows in which there's a contest for which any animals are involved, like eating live worms, or insects, or goldfish. These are mainly for shock value and I believe are irresponsible in showing respect for live beings.-anouk

Thanks for the advice. I am in Maryland, USA.

Take care.

Cynthia

-

Jo bb

Sunday, August 29, 2004 6:20 AM

Re: Angry!

Hi Cynthia

It is disgraceful. I have not seen this advert - which country are you from?

I would suggest writing to whatever bodies you can to complain - including the tv company and the asthma drug producer. Write to papers and contact animal rights organisations so that they are aware of the advert.

Jo

I am very angry. I think I may be making a big deal of this, so I am here to discuss it with you.To send an email to -

I have seen the ad several times now, and I believe it to be real. I believe the fish's eyes are bugging out because it simply does not have any water to breathe in. At any rate, this would cause some impressionable kids to "try this" and watch their fishes writhe in pain.

Take care.

Cynthia

-

Jo bb

Sunday, August 29, 2004 6:23 AM

Re: Re: Angry!

Colin gets asthma (luckily only once a year (now)) and I know that if he was watching telly while suffering from asthma and that advert came on it would make him ten times worse - so it is not a very responsible advert for an asthma company to put on.

Jo

Hmm...I think I've seen that but I don't remember- is it a real fish?I either saw it or something like it but the fish lookedcomputer-generated (they made its eyes bug out and you could tell itwas fake) so it didn't bother me. Also I know people with really badasthma and that is really how it feels though I certainly don'tcondone the commercial if they used a real fish. They were probablyjust trying to use an image that can make the average viewerunderstand how severe asthma must feel, but of course they could haveconveyed it in a far more humane way.~Chrissie~To send an email to -

I have not seen this spot. But I found it on the EPA and AdCouncil

websites (below) and it is indeed quite disturbing. Apparently this

ad campaign has been running for a while. See the link below to

PETA's website with their response (in 2001) to the ad.

Asthma Media Campaign - http://www.epa.gov/asthma/psa.html

AdCouncil - http://www.adcouncil.org/campaigns/Childhood_Asthma/

PETA CHASTISES EPA FOR CRUEL COMMERCIAL -

http://www.peta.org/news/0401/0401cruelEPA.html

, " Cynthia Gadarian "

<cgadarian@a...> wrote:

> I am very angry. I think I may be making a big deal of this, so I

am here to discuss it with you.

>

> There is a commercial for an asthma medication that shows a

goldfish in a fishbowl of water. As the announcer drones on and on

about how asthmatics are affected by asthma, the level of water in

the fishbowl goes down, then down again, then down again, etc. The

final shot is the fish struggling to breathe. Then a child's voice

(a child who has asthma supposedly), says, " I don't want to be like

a fish out of water. " All the while the fish is desperately trying

to breathe in about 2 inches of water.

>

> I cannot watch it. I have to turn the channel when it is on.

>

> What do you think?

>

> Cynthia

Thaniks for finding this. I was starting to think that I imagined it or something. It came on the TV just a few minutes ago. It is truly horrible. I have asthma, too and I would not want my illness explained by torturing another animal.

Cynthia

-

ebippity

Sunday, August 29, 2004 1:06 PM

Re: Angry!

I have not seen this spot. But I found it on the EPA and AdCouncil websites (below) and it is indeed quite disturbing. Apparently this ad campaign has been running for a while. See the link below to PETA's website with their response (in 2001) to the ad.Asthma Media Campaign - http://www.epa.gov/asthma/psa.htmlAdCouncil - http://www.adcouncil.org/campaigns/Childhood_Asthma/PETA CHASTISES EPA FOR CRUEL COMMERCIAL - http://www.peta.org/news/0401/0401cruelEPA.html--- In , "Cynthia Gadarian" <cgadarian@a...> wrote:> I am very angry. I think I may be making a big deal of this, so I am here to discuss it with you.> > There is a commercial for an asthma medication that shows a goldfish in a fishbowl of water. As the announcer drones on and on about how asthmatics are affected by asthma, the level of water in the fishbowl goes down, then down again, then down again, etc. The final shot is the fish struggling to breathe. Then a child's voice (a child who has asthma supposedly), says, "I don't want to be like a fish out of water." All the while the fish is desperately trying to breathe in about 2 inches of water.> > I cannot watch it. I have to turn the channel when it is on.> > What do you think?> > CynthiaTo send an email to -

That really is incredible. I live in Atlanta, and I've never seen the spot run here (which is not to say it hasn't happened). I can't believe they're still running it if PETA was all over them about it in 2001! This ad would have be just as effective with animation in making its point, though I don't think that would be "morally" responsible either. But at least we would be sure that that particular fish had not been tortured.ebippity <ebippity wrote:

I have not seen this spot. But I found it on the EPA and AdCouncil websites (below) and it is indeed quite disturbing. Apparently this ad campaign has been running for a while. See the link below to PETA's website with their response (in 2001) to the ad.Asthma Media Campaign - http://www.epa.gov/asthma/psa.htmlAdCouncil - http://www.adcouncil.org/campaigns/Childhood_Asthma/PETA CHASTISES EPA FOR CRUEL COMMERCIAL - http://www.peta.org/news/0401/0401cruelEPA.html--- In , "Cynthia Gadarian" <cgadarian@a...> wrote:> I am very angry. I think I may be making a big deal of this, so I am here to discuss it with

you.> > There is a commercial for an asthma medication that shows a goldfish in a fishbowl of water. As the announcer drones on and on about how asthmatics are affected by asthma, the level of water in the fishbowl goes down, then down again, then down again, etc. The final shot is the fish struggling to breathe. Then a child's voice (a child who has asthma supposedly), says, "I don't want to be like a fish out of water." All the while the fish is desperately trying to breathe in about 2 inches of water.> > I cannot watch it. I have to turn the channel when it is on.> > What do you think?> > CynthiaTo send an email to -