IndiaDivine.org

India/Veganism/Milk God

Rate this topic

Guest guest

According to the Hindu Scriptures Lord Krishna was supposed to be fond of

Butter/Milk etc., Hence, it may be hard for many Indians to convert to veganism.

This is just a thought.

Vijay

Interesting that. Being ignorant of most religions, does anyone know if Jains ( can`t spell) are vegan or Hindu or what belief system do they to? I have seen brief footage of them sweeping the floor before they walk to avoid crushing any creatures as they walk.

Curiosity killed the cat......

The Valley Vegan......rvijay07 wrote:

According to the Hindu Scriptures Lord Krishna was supposed to be fond of Butter/Milk etc., Hence, it may be hard for many Indians to convert to veganism. This is just a thought.Vijay

well...i am VERY far from an expert on this, Eastern religion and mythology has never been my strong point...

but....as far as i know

Jainism dates from about the 9th century BCE(i think..i think i also heard 6th century BCE, so wot do i know)

it was a reaction against the old Vedic system, which required animal sacrifice(which was pretty dang common in most religions it seems back then, heck, read the old testament..)

it is based on ahimsa..the reverance fer all life(more er less)

the old vedic religion is the precursor to the hindu....

ummm

*scratches head*

wot else...

jains believe in charitable work..they don't have a single *founder* per se, but have a series of teachers who have come down to em over the years...preach universal tolerence, etc

uhhh....

they got pretty big before 1000 CE..but they kinda got squeezed out a bit by a rise in hinduism and the arrival of the muslims....

*shrug*

all i can think of off the top of me head...

cheers

fraggle peter hurd Sep 4, 2004 6:02 AM Re: India/Veganism/Milk God

Interesting that. Being ignorant of most religions, does anyone know if Jains ( can`t spell) are vegan or Hindu or what belief system do they to? I have seen brief footage of them sweeping the floor before they walk to avoid crushing any creatures as they walk.

According to the Hindu Scriptures Lord Krishna was supposed to be fond of Butter/Milk etc., Hence, it may be hard for many Indians to convert to veganism. This is just a thought.Vijay

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> Interesting that. Being ignorant of most religions, does anyone know if Jains

( can`t spell) are vegan or Hindu or what belief system do they to? I

have seen brief footage of them sweeping the floor before they walk to avoid

crushing any creatures as they walk.

> Curiosity killed the cat......

> The Valley Vegan......

>

Jains are not Hindu. They have their own belief system. Perhaps they have sites

on the net dedicated to Jainism.

Before I think they were mostly philosophical. However, later they had a Guru

called Mahavira. He is the Jain equivalent of the Buddha.

Yes, the most devoted of them sweep the floors before they walk.

Vijay

If thats off the top of your head, you must wear a large hat!

The Valley Vegan......fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

well...i am VERY far from an expert on this, Eastern religion and mythology has never been my strong point...

but....as far as i know

Jainism dates from about the 9th century BCE(i think..i think i also heard 6th century BCE, so wot do i know)

it was a reaction against the old Vedic system, which required animal sacrifice(which was pretty dang common in most religions it seems back then, heck, read the old testament..)

ummm

*scratches head*

wot else...

jains believe in charitable work..they don't have a single *founder* per se, but have a series of teachers who have come down to em over the years...preach universal tolerence, etc

uhhh....

they got pretty big before 1000 CE..but they kinda got squeezed out a bit by a rise in hinduism and the arrival of the muslims....

*shrug*

all i can think of off the top of me head...

cheers

i don't wear a hat....

tho have been known to but a bag over my head and run with scissors through the house while yodelling at the top of my lungs

:)

cheers

fraggle peter hurd Sep 7, 2004 9:23 AM Re: India/Veganism/Milk God

If thats off the top of your head, you must wear a large hat!

The Valley Vegan......fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

but....as far as i know

ummm

*scratches ZZZhead*

wot else...

uhhh....

*shrug*

all i can think of off the top of me ZZZhead...

cheers