IndiaDivine.org

Soya boom threat to South America

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Interesting this, I too panicked when I first read the headline, but read on us vegans are not to blame.

** Soya boom threat to South America **Some of South America's key areas are at risk from soya bean exports, campaigners say.< http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/sci/tech/3622108.stm >

Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

pretty much true of most of the grains, soybeans, etc...most of it goes to feed livestock.... peter hurd Sep 4, 2004 6:14 AM Soya boom threat to South America

Interesting this, I too panicked when I first read the headline, but read on us vegans are not to blame.

** Soya boom threat to South America **Some of South America's key areas are at risk from soya bean exports, campaigners say.< http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/sci/tech/3622108.stm >

Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to -

But if the majority of the world were vegans, wouldn't there be just as much if not more demand for soybeans, to feed humans? Does anyone know figures or whatever for this? Not that I don't support veganism - I'm becoming vegan, but I want to be confident that soybeans do not damage the environment.

Catherine

fraggle [EBbrewpunx]04 September 2004 18:04 Subject: Re: Soya boom threat to South America

pretty much true of most of the grains, soybeans, etc...most of it goes to feed livestock.... peter hurd Sep 4, 2004 6:14 AM Soya boom threat to South America

Peter H

well..fer one thing, just about everything modern humans do destroys the environment....welcome to the world of the human of the human locust machine..

but..the goal is to minimize the footprint...

and fer another thing, no actually, if everyone went vegan, there would actually be less soy production....why??? because while there are around 6 billion folks on this little blue orb, there are something like 4 billion cattle(cows, goats, sheep)

and..cattle raising takes a ton of resources..water, land, energy, foodstuffs, grazing, rainforest, etc....especially cows...

now add in how much of our grain production and soy goes to feed these cattle...and chickens...and pigs..and gets turned into food fer the burgeoning aquaculture market(and mixed with wotever they could strip mine from the ocean...)

ain't a pretty picture.... Catherine Turner Sep 5, 2004 2:43 PM RE: Soya boom threat to South America

But if the majority of the world were vegans, wouldn't there be just as much if not more demand for soybeans, to feed humans? Does anyone know figures or whatever for this? Not that I don't support veganism - I'm becoming vegan, but I want to be confident that soybeans do not damage the environment.

Catherine

fraggle [EBbrewpunx]04 September 2004 18:04 Subject: Re: Soya boom threat to South America

Peter H

Hi Catherine

I cannot remember figures (sorry Ian) but I have read that it takes approximately six times the amount of grain/beans etc to raise meat than to feed humans directly.

Jo

-

Catherine Turner

Sunday, September 05, 2004 10:43 PM

RE: Soya boom threat to South America

Catherine

Peter H

Well, if all humans became vegans....then the demand to feed livestock would deminish...NO? And even if all humans would eat more soya, we still have more of a variety in our diets.....so we don't heavily depend on just soya....not like animals that are bigger, eat more and just eat soya and grass......Catherine Turner <catherineturner2000 wrote:

Catherine

Peter H

and only eat soy and grains cuz we force feed it to em...you don't generally see wild cows eating soy...

hee hee PJ Sep 7, 2004 6:27 AM RE: Soya boom threat to South America

Well, if all humans became vegans....then the demand to feed livestock would deminish...NO? And even if all humans would eat more soya, we still have more of a variety in our diets.....so we don't heavily depend on just soya....not like animals that are bigger, eat more and just eat soya and grass......Catherine Turner <catherineturner2000 wrote:

Catherine

Peter H

PLUS........All the free land that currently grows food for livestock would become available for veggies/soya/cereals etc.....so I dont see how we could loose?

The Valley Vegan.........PJ <pjsparkles80 wrote:

Catherine

Peter H

Aha, ok, it makes sense - thanks. I guess it was probably obvious to you guys but I'm only just getting my head around all this.

Catherine

PJ [pjsparkles80]07 September 2004 14:28 Subject: RE: Soya boom threat to South America

Catherine

Peter H

Here's the thing. It takes something like 12 lbs or wheat (or

whatever grain) to get 1 lb of beef. I suppose a person could eat

that in 1 day. Now, if you ate a loaf of bread a day, you would

survive 12 days on that same 12 lbs of wheat.

sara

, " Catherine Turner "

<catherineturner2000> wrote:

> But if the majority of the world were vegans, wouldn't there be

just as much

> if not more demand for soybeans, to feed humans? Does anyone know

figures

> or whatever for this? Not that I don't support veganism - I'm

becoming

> vegan, but I want to be confident that soybeans do not damage the

> environment.

>

> Catherine

>

> fraggle [EBbrewpunx@e...]

> 04 September 2004 18:04

>

> Re: Soya boom threat to South America

>

>

> pretty much true of most of the grains, soybeans, etc...most of

it goes to

> feed livestock....

>

>

>

> peter hurd

> Sep 4, 2004 6:14 AM

>

> Soya boom threat to South America

>

>

> Interesting this, I too panicked when I first read the headline,

but read

> on us vegans are not to blame.

> ** Soya boom threat to South America **

> Some of South America's key areas are at risk from soya bean

exports,

> campaigners say.

> < http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/sci/tech/3622108.stm >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Peter H

>

>

>

> --

--------

> --

> ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

take yer time...

ask questions

if we don't know, we'll make it up

*rofl*

no..really...ask away...whenever you need to...

cheers

fraggle Catherine Turner Sep 7, 2004 9:22 AM RE: Soya boom threat to South America

Aha, ok, it makes sense - thanks. I guess it was probably obvious to you guys but I'm only just getting my head around all this.

Catherine

PJ [pjsparkles80]07 September 2004 14:28 Subject: RE: Soya boom threat to South America

Catherine

Peter H