IndiaDivine.org

Barbara's Intro

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Everyone,

My name is Barbara. I've been a vegetarian for a little over a year, and now want to make the move to vegan, though it will probably be gradual. My body seems to rebel at overly quick changes. Really, I'm almost there though... already using way less dairy than I used, with yogurt being the main holdout. I'm only using eggs for baking now, and would love some info on what I can substitute. My biggest block is giving up honey and bee pollen, as they have allowed me to get off allergy meds... any ideas on that?

I live in Connecticut. I'm a jewelry crafter with a wholesale to shops business. I hike with my Siberian Husky, and love ecstatic dance for an indoor exercise. Other interests include dreamwork, Reiki, photography, writing poetry (especially from dreams), gardening, and herbal/nutritional healing. I look forward to getting to know you all, and getting some good ideas and support for sticking to this!

Love & Light, Barbara

FeathreGoLightly

welcome barbara

where bouts in the nutmeg state do you hail from? FeatherGoLightly Oct 3, 2004 3:02 PM Barbara's Intro

Hi Everyone,

My name is Barbara. I've been a vegetarian for a little over a year, and now want to make the move to vegan, though it will probably be gradual. My body seems to rebel at overly quick changes. Really, I'm almost there though... already using way less dairy than I used, with yogurt being the main holdout. I'm only using eggs for baking now, and would love some info on what I can substitute. My biggest block is giving up honey and bee pollen, as they have allowed me to get off allergy meds... any ideas on that?

I live in Connecticut. I'm a jewelry crafter with a wholesale to shops business. I hike with my Siberian Husky, and love ecstatic dance for an indoor exercise. Other interests include dreamwork, Reiki, photography, writing poetry (especially from dreams), gardening, and herbal/nutritional healing. I look forward to getting to know you all, and getting some good ideas and support for sticking to this!

Love & Light, Barbara

FeathreGoLightly

To send an email to -

Hi Barbara,

There are some great non dairy yogurts out there which are made of Soy. I think you will love it and they are full of protein too :). You should have no problem founding them in your food mart.

You also mentioned Bee Pollen, I must say, I had the same problem as you with having to gave up Bee Pollen altogether because I would take it everyday before breakfast as a vegetarian to help with the digestion of my food and allergies. However, when I became a vegan I discovered that I no longer had a need for Bee Pollen because my body began to heal it's self...it was the best thing I could have ever done and I know you will feel the same.

It is amazing, spiritually, mentally and physically I am whole being now. I never know life could be like this.

Here is a great egg replacement: ENER G Egg Replacer. check out Peta's website too the recipes are vegan.

Many happy trails to you on your quest to wholeness.

Rashaan fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

welcome barbara

where bouts in the nutmeg state do you hail from? FeatherGoLightly Oct 3, 2004 3:02 PM Barbara's Intro

Hi Everyone,

Love & Light, Barbara

FeathreGoLightly

To send an email to -

, FeatherGoLightly@a... wrote:

> Hi Everyone,

> My name is Barbara. I've been a vegetarian for a little over

>a year, and now want to make the move to vegan, though it will

>probably be gradual.

Hi Barbara. I'm a vegetarian as well and joined this list because

my daughter (age 13) chose to become vegan. To simplify

lifeprobably 90% of the meals in our house are now vegan - the

remaining 10% being the days the rest of us sprinkle some cheese on

something. If it were just me and my daughter it would be no

problem. But I have another teenage daughter and a husband who

became vegetarian because of me - I don't want to push it. I figure

they are a work in progress ;-)

>Really, I'm almost there though... already using way less dairy

>than I used, with yogurt being the main holdout.

We've been drinking rice milk for a long time - I personally prefer

it over soy. Also, as a breast cancer survivor I have to watch my

intake of soy. Yogurt was the tough one for my daughter as well.

For flavored yogurts Trader Joes has really good tasting soy

yogurt. If you're looking to replace plain yogurt we've found the

Wildwood Soyogurt " pleasantly plain " flavor to be the best (and

believe me, we tried *everything*).

>I'm only using eggs for baking now, and would love some info on

>what I can substitute.

AS someone else mentioned, the Ener G egg replacer works well in

baked goods. I make vegan pancakes with it all the time.

Or this from veganmania.com:

Egg Substitutes

It's not hard to substitute for eggs in most vegan recipes. The

substitute used depends on the recipe it's being used in. Try some

of these and let me know how they work for you.

Ener-G Egg Replacer: This is the one I use most often in baking;

it's really only good for recipes that call for 1 or 2 eggs. You can

find it at natural food stores. One whole egg = 1 tsp powder + 2

tbsp water. It's made from potato flour and other vegan leaveners.

Tofu: Tofu is great for egg substitutions in recipes that call for a

lot of egg (like quiches). To substitute for only one egg in a

recipe, whip 1/4 cup tofu and add to your cooking.

Stuff around your kitchen:

1 whole egg = 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp oil + 2 tsp baking powder

1 egg = 1 tbsp ground flax seed simmered in 3 tbsp water

1 egg = 2 tbsp water + 2 tsp baking powder

egg white = dissolve 1 tbsp plain agar powder in 1 tbsp water. Whip,

chill and whip again.

For use in sweet baking:

Try substituting 1 banana or 1/4 cup apple sauce for each egg called

for in a sweet, baked recipe. These will flavour the recipe,

however, so make sure banana or apple will taste good in it.

>My biggest block is giving up honey and bee pollen, as they have

> allowed me to get off allergy meds... any ideas on that?

Can't help you there as I don't use bee pollen. If you need a

substitute for honey in cooking or on toast, try agave nectar. Not

drinking milk has made most of my allergies disappear. I still get

some hayfever in the spring but that's it.

I learn a lot from this list - I hopy you enjoy it.

nancy

HI Barbara,

I use EnerG Egg Replacer for baking. I buy it online from Pangea - I think the website is veganstore.com.

Welcome to the list!

Love,

Anna

-

10/4/2004 10:42:12 PM

Barbara's Intro

Hi Everyone,

Love & Light, Barbara

FeathreGoLightly

To send an email to -

In a message dated 10/5/2004 10:24:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, njdoane writes:

Hi Barbara. I'm a vegetarian as well and joined this list because my daughter (age 13) chose to become vegan. To simplify lifeprobably 90% of the meals in our house are now vegan - the remaining 10% being the days the rest of us sprinkle some cheese on something. If it were just me and my daughter it would be no problem. But I have another teenage daughter and a husband who became vegetarian because of me - I don't want to push it. I figure they are a work in progress ;-)

I made a little pesto pizza last night for dinner, and used soya cheese on it, and then noticed even that has some nonfat dried milk solids in it. I'm going to have to check the health food store for a different brand I guess. My pesto pizza by the way is just a whole wheat flat bread spread with a thin layer of pesto sauce, then a thicker layer of hummus, then a sprinkle of soya cheese and a few pine nuts sprinkled on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes. I have to find or make pesto w/o cheese too... the soya parmesan is pretty good! I can see that going vegan is going to take more work and attention than going vegetarian did, and it will be a process, not an overnight accomplishment. It's so great your whole family has gotten into this!

>Really, I'm almost there though... already using way less dairy >than I used, with yogurt being the main holdout. We've been drinking rice milk for a long time - I personally prefer it over soy. Also, as a breast cancer survivor I have to watch my intake of soy. Yogurt was the tough one for my daughter as well. For flavored yogurts Trader Joes has really good tasting soy yogurt. If you're looking to replace plain yogurt we've found the Wildwood Soyogurt "pleasantly plain" flavor to be the best (and believe me, we tried *everything*).

I think soya is a more complete protein that rice, and I'm hypoglycemic, so that's been a concern for me. No breast cancer in my family... they all get smoking related cancers... and I don't smoke! I will look for the Wildwood brand.. thanks! I like plain the best, topped with fresh blueberries, a drizzle of maple syrup, and some granola. Or mixed with herbs to top baked potatoes.

>I'm only using eggs for baking now, and would love some info on >what I can substitute. AS someone else mentioned, the Ener G egg replacer works well in baked goods. I make vegan pancakes with it all the time.

Great... I'm building a shopping list. :)

Or this from veganmania.com:Egg SubstitutesIt's not hard to substitute for eggs in most vegan recipes. The substitute used depends on the recipe it's being used in. Try some of these and let me know how they work for you.Ener-G Egg Replacer: This is the one I use most often in baking; it's really only good for recipes that call for 1 or 2 eggs. You can find it at natural food stores. One whole egg = 1 tsp powder + 2 tbsp water. It's made from potato flour and other vegan leaveners.Tofu: Tofu is great for egg substitutions in recipes that call for a lot of egg (like quiches). To substitute for only one egg in a recipe, whip 1/4 cup tofu and add to your cooking.Stuff around your kitchen:1 whole egg = 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp oil + 2 tsp baking powder1 egg = 1 tbsp ground flax seed simmered in 3 tbsp water1 egg = 2 tbsp water + 2 tsp baking powderegg white = dissolve 1 tbsp plain agar powder in 1 tbsp water. Whip, chill and whip again.For use in sweet baking:Try substituting 1 banana or 1/4 cup apple sauce for each egg called for in a sweet, baked recipe. These will flavour the recipe, however, so make sure banana or apple will taste good in it.

Wow... thanks for all the info. I love to bake whole grain muffins and nut breads, so I need something, for sure. Pancakes too. I love buckwheat with berries in them.

>My biggest block is giving up honey and bee pollen, as they have > allowed me to get off allergy meds... any ideas on that?Can't help you there as I don't use bee pollen. If you need a substitute for honey in cooking or on toast, try agave nectar. Not drinking milk has made most of my allergies disappear. I still get some hayfever in the spring but that's it.I learn a lot from this list - I hopy you enjoy it.nancy

I'm looking forward to the effects of being dairy free now. Thank you, Nancy!

Love & Light, BarbaraFeatherGoLightly

psst..

the whole *complete* protein is a crock...

:)

its not like you need to mix and match like its 1967...

yer body holds onto amino acids until they are needed FeatherGoLightly Oct 6, 2004 9:59 AM Re: Re: Barbara's Intro

In a message dated 10/5/2004 10:24:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, njdoane writes:

Hi Barbara. I'm a vegetarian as well and joined this list because my daughter (age 13) chose to become vegan. To simplify lifeprobably 90% of the meals in our house are now vegan - the remaining 10% being the days the rest of us sprinkle some cheese on something. If it were just me and my daughter it would be no problem. But I have another teenage daughter and a husband who became vegetarian because of me - I don't want to push it. I figure they are a work in progress ;-)

I made a little pesto pizza last night for dinner, and used soya cheese on it, and then noticed even that has some nonfat dried milk solids in it. I'm going to have to check the health food store for a different brand I guess. My pesto pizza by the way is just a whole wheat flat bread spread with a thin layer of pesto sauce, then a thicker layer of hummus, then a sprinkle of soya cheese and a few pine nuts sprinkled on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes. I have to find or make pesto w/o cheese too... the soya parmesan is pretty good! I can see that going vegan is going to take more work and attention than going vegetarian did, and it will be a process, not an overnight accomplishment. It's so great your whole family has gotten into this!

>Really, I'm almost there though... already using way less dairy >than I used, with yogurt being the main holdout. We've been drinking rice milk for a long time - I personally prefer it over soy. Also, as a breast cancer survivor I have to watch my intake of soy. Yogurt was the tough one for my daughter as well. For flavored yogurts Trader Joes has really good tasting soy yogurt. If you're looking to replace plain yogurt we've found the Wildwood Soyogurt "pleasantly plain" flavor to be the best (and believe me, we tried *everything*).

I think soya is a more complete protein that rice, and I'm hypoglycemic, so that's been a concern for me. No breast cancer in my family... they all get smoking related cancers... and I don't smoke! I will look for the Wildwood brand.. thanks! I like plain the best, topped with fresh blueberries, a drizzle of maple syrup, and some granola. Or mixed with herbs to top baked potatoes.

>I'm only using eggs for baking now, and would love some info on >what I can substitute. AS someone else mentioned, the Ener G egg replacer works well in baked goods. I make vegan pancakes with it all the time.

Great... I'm building a shopping list. :)

Or this from veganmania.com:Egg SubstitutesIt's not hard to substitute for eggs in most vegan recipes. The substitute used depends on the recipe it's being used in. Try some of these and let me know how they work for you.Ener-G Egg Replacer: This is the one I use most often in baking; it's really only good for recipes that call for 1 or 2 eggs. You can find it at natural food stores. One whole egg = 1 tsp powder + 2 tbsp water. It's made from potato flour and other vegan leaveners.Tofu: Tofu is great for egg substitutions in recipes that call for a lot of egg (like quiches). To substitute for only one egg in a recipe, whip 1/4 cup tofu and add to your cooking.Stuff around your kitchen:1 whole egg = 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp oil + 2 tsp baking powder1 egg = 1 tbsp ground flax seed simmered in 3 tbsp water1 egg = 2 tbsp water + 2 tsp baking powderegg white = dissolve 1 tbsp plain agar powder in 1 tbsp water. Whip, chill and whip again.For use in sweet baking:Try substituting 1 banana or 1/4 cup apple sauce for each egg called for in a sweet, baked recipe. These will flavour the recipe, however, so make sure banana or apple will taste good in it.

Wow... thanks for all the info. I love to bake whole grain muffins and nut breads, so I need something, for sure. Pancakes too. I love buckwheat with berries in them.

>My biggest block is giving up honey and bee pollen, as they have > allowed me to get off allergy meds... any ideas on that?Can't help you there as I don't use bee pollen. If you need a substitute for honey in cooking or on toast, try agave nectar. Not drinking milk has made most of my allergies disappear. I still get some hayfever in the spring but that's it.I learn a lot from this list - I hopy you enjoy it.nancy

I'm looking forward to the effects of being dairy free now. Thank you, Nancy!

To send an email to -

so..you actually live in Rhode island and are just afraid to admit it, right?

hee hee FeatherGoLightly Oct 6, 2004 9:59 AM Re: Barbara's Intro

In a message dated 10/4/2004 10:36:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time, EBbrewpunx writes:

welcome barbara

where bouts in the nutmeg state do you hail from?

Thank you! About as specific as I care to get on the internet is southeastern Connecticut. :)

To send an email to -

In a message dated 10/6/2004 3:06:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time, EBbrewpunx writes:

psst..

yer body holds onto amino acids until they are needed

Well, ya know, when you've passed out cold on a friend's kitchen floor due to hypoglycemia, you tend to err on the side of caution. Besides, I like soya products. That is okay, right?

Welcome Barbara;

You can also get it at almost any health food store and even

some " normal " gorcery stores. Blended silken tofu and bananas can

also be used in place of eggs.

sara

, " Anna Blaine " <anna333@e...> wrote:

> HI Barbara,

>

> I use EnerG Egg Replacer for baking. I buy it online from Pangea -

I think the website is veganstore.com.

>

> Welcome to the list!

>

> Love,

> Anna

>

>

> -

>

>

> 10/4/2004 10:42:12 PM

> Barbara's Intro

>

>

> Hi Everyone,

> My name is Barbara. I've been a vegetarian for a little over a

year, and now want to make the move to vegan, though it will probably

be gradual. My body seems to rebel at overly quick changes. Really,

I'm almost there though... already using way less dairy than I used,

with yogurt being the main holdout. I'm only using eggs for baking

now, and would love some info on what I can substitute. My biggest

block is giving up honey and bee pollen, as they have allowed me to

get off allergy meds... any ideas on that?

> I live in Connecticut. I'm a jewelry crafter with a wholesale

to shops business. I hike with my Siberian Husky, and love ecstatic

dance for an indoor exercise. Other interests include dreamwork,

Reiki, photography, writing poetry (especially from dreams),

gardening, and herbal/nutritional healing. I look forward to getting

to know you all, and getting some good ideas and support for sticking

to this!

>

> Love & Light, Barbara

> FeathreGoLightly@a...

In a message dated 10/6/2004 5:10:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time, EBbrewpunx writes:

well..i would assume hypoglycemia doesn't have a whole lot to do with which protein you've just ingested.

i mean..its caused by low blood sugar right?

if you don't get the sugar directly, then its from broken down carbohydrates...soo..protein ain't really part of the picture....

..but then again..wot do i know

and no more passin out on kitchen floors fer you...

don't make us strap cushions all over yer body

cheers

fraggle

Yep, hypoglycemia is low blood sugar. But the solution to low blood sugar isn't to eat carbs (especially the sugary snacks too many reach for when feeling their blood sugar is low), anymore than that's the solution for diabetics (high blood sugar). The solution is to get enough protein to keep the blood sugar on a more even plane, and avoid the rollercoaster ride. Carbs should all be whole grains and fresh fruits and veggies... white sugar and flour need to be avoided, as they give too much sugar too fast... bad for both hypoglycemics and diabetics. For hypoglycemics the insulin goes into overdrive, and the blood sugar drops too low. For diabetics, whose insulin isn't up to snuff, the sugar stays too high. It's why so many with blood sugar problems go on Atkins or South Beach diets... now that would fit in well here, right? lol... I haven't passed out on a kitchen floor in about twenty years, actually, so I guess I'm managing it okay. ;) But once was enough to make me take it seriously, and to move slowly in making dietary changes. I do have to get adequate protein. Soya and quinoa are the two things I feel pretty secure with in that regard, and do lots of blending. But this switching from vegetarian to vegan means letting go of the safety net provided by dairy and eggs, see??? :)

I am currently doing a study on the activation of 12-strand DNA... anyone know how that might relate to veganism? Sorry, but my dreamtime says it does. I just haven't found a connection yet! But then I'm still trying to get through the 53 page article I printed out that is supposedly the original channeling on the subject... hmmm... more later.

Hiya,

a good cheap substitute for eggs in most cooking is potato flour or rice flour

they both are very starchy and do the same job of binding the mix together.

most of the egg substitutes potato flour is number one ingredient

use "about 1 tablespoon= 1 egg"

if your goals are to be Vegan it really is easy just time consuming at first reading every F%$#@g label. lol

have fun and enjoy

all the best

Craig

FeatherGoLightly [FeatherGoLightly]Thursday, October 07, 2004 12:59 AM Subject: Re: Barbara's Intro

In a message dated 10/5/2004 7:22:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time, rnlaurent writes:

There are some great non dairy yogurts out there which are made of Soy. I think you will love it and they are full of protein too :). You should have no problem founding them in your food mart.

I obviously need to experiment more, and not just judge them all by the one I tried... though I forgot what brand it was... lol. I have stopped eating the dairy, except for the traces in mixes I need to use up. I'll search out new ones of those too.

You also mentioned Bee Pollen, I must say, I had the same problem as you with having to gave up Bee Pollen altogether because I would take it everyday before breakfast as a vegetarian to help with the digestion of my food and allergies. However, when I became a vegan I discovered that I no longer had a need for Bee Pollen because my body began to heal it's self...it was the best thing I could have ever done and I know you will feel the same.

I'm sure you're right. I only really need it spring and fall usually, so I'll be able to see next spring whether I need it or not. I don't take things until I need them.

It is amazing, spiritually, mentally and physically I am whole being now. I never know life could be like this.

Here is a great egg replacement: ENER G Egg Replacer. check out Peta's website too the recipes are vegan.

Many happy trails to you on your quest to wholeness.

Rashaan

Thanks, Rashaan!

Love & Light, BarbaraFeatherGoLightlyTo send an email to -

well..i would assume hypoglycemia doesn't have a whole lot to do with which protein you've just ingested.

if you don't get the sugar directly, then its from broken down carbohydrates...soo..protein ain't really part of the picture....

don't make us strap cushions all over yer body

cheers

fraggle FeatherGoLightly Oct 6, 2004 3:41 PM Re: Re: Barbara's Intro

In a message dated 10/6/2004 3:06:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time, EBbrewpunx writes:

psst..

Well, ya know, when you've passed out cold on a friend's kitchen floor due to hypoglycemia, you tend to err on the side of caution. Besides, I like soya products. That is okay, right?

To send an email to -

Hiya Barbara,

passing out on the kitchen floor could be a million things (well maybe only 100,000)

mothers milk is about 6-8% protein some nutritionist feel that is about the level of protein that should be in our diet,

I think you mentioned you are a new Vegan, just take it slow you were a junkie on protein when you consumed dairy and meat

I think cows milk is about 12-15% protein and they say the average American (western countries) has about 30-60% protein in their diet...sooooo....

you body may be use to excess but that doesn't mean anything more that a junkie going through withdrawals.

many of us have been there.

mock meats or fake meats help people get through I like them still just don't eat them as much as I use to.

try to have some fruit everyday and about 300 different types of veggies .(well 10 will do if you can't find 300).

mix the colours of your veggies too the colour in veggies can indicate different vitamin and minerals that are active

(it is also easier cause you don't have to look it up all the time to see what veggie has what vitamin)

and if all else fails get some moto cross gear to wear when you in the kitchen that way the falls don't hurt so much

peace and love

Craig

FeatherGoLightly [FeatherGoLightly]Thursday, October 07, 2004 6:42 AM Subject: Re: Re: Barbara's Intro

psst..

well..i wasn't commenting on simple sugars nor cheap carbs... FeatherGoLightly Oct 6, 2004 5:43 PM Re: Re: Barbara's Intro

In a message dated 10/6/2004 5:10:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time, EBbrewpunx writes:

don't make us strap cushions all over yer ZZZbody

cheers

fraggle

Yep, hypoglycemia is low blood sugar. But the solution to low blood sugar isn't to eat carbs (especially the sugary snacks too many reach for when feeling their blood sugar is low), anymore than that's the solution for diabetics (high blood sugar). The solution is to get enough protein to keep the blood sugar on a more even plane, and avoid the rollercoaster ride. Carbs should all be whole grains and fresh fruits and veggies... white sugar and flour need to be avoided, as they give too much sugar too fast... bad for both hypoglycemics and diabetics. For hypoglycemics the insulin goes into overdrive, and the blood sugar drops too low. For diabetics, whose insulin isn't up to snuff, the sugar stays too high. It's why so many with blood sugar problems go on Atkins or South Beach diets... now that would fit in well here, right? lol... I haven't passed out on a kitchen floor in about twenty years, actually, so I guess I'm managing it okay. ;) But once was enough to make me take it seriously, and to move slowly in making dietary changes. I do have to get adequate protein. Soya and quinoa are the two things I feel pretty secure with in that regard, and do lots of blending. But this switching from vegetarian to vegan means letting go of the safety net provided by dairy and eggs, see??? :)

I am currently doing a study on the activation of 12-strand DNA... anyone know how that might relate to veganism? Sorry, but my dreamtime says it does. I just haven't found a connection yet! But then I'm still trying to get through the 53 page article I printed out that is supposedly the original channeling on the subject... hmmm... more later.

Patrick Holford has written several books on healthy nutrition - and has some good advice on the glycemic index of different foods - it makes it easier to balance your blood sugar.

Jo

Apparently you can balance your blood sugar by eating 12 almonds at the same time as, say, fruit. So it would seem you don't need to eat too much protein.

Jo

: