IndiaDivine.org

singing pollywaddle dead all day

Rate this topic

Guest guest

One-third of amphibians threatened with extinction

If it is true that amphibians are, as Conservation International's

Russell Mittermeier puts it, " one of nature's best indicators of

overall environmental health, " then we are all in big trouble,

because amphibians are having a seriously rough time of it.

According to a massive new worldwide study involving more than 500

scientists from over 60 countries, published today in the journal

Science, up to 122 species of amphibian have gone extinct since 1980,

and up to a third of known remaining species may be rapidly nearing

that same fate. " This has taken the scientific world completely by

surprise, " said survey leader Simon Stuart. While air and water

pollution, habitat loss, overharvesting for food and medicine, and a

fungal disease called chytridiomycosis, which may be worsened by

climate change, all play a role in the decline of various species,

biologists are still baffled by the extent of amphibian

disappearances. They speak of some species experiencing " enigmatic

decline, " and they're at a loss for how to help them.

straight to the source: The Independent, Steve Connor, 15 Oct 2004

<http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=3338>

straight to the source: The Washington Post, Juliet Eilperin, 15 Oct 2004

<http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=3339>

straight to the source: Los Angeles Times, Marla Cone, 15 Oct 2004

<http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=3340>

Hi Fragle,

Thanks for the info, this saddened me. I absolutely love frogs, I have many in my backyard and bathroom.

I truly believe that frogs are sentitive and intelligent funny looking and yes they recognized me.

One day, about a month and a half ago, my six year old son and I were walking to the supermarket one afternoon, it had rained all morning and the night before. There was alot of standing water around the gutters of our neighborhood.

My son had been learning about frogs at school and he was looking at the water and said "look mommy Tadpoles in the gutter" ! They were swimming in standing water in the gutter.

I thought about how this Hot florida sun was soon going to melt that water and I told him, if you want we can get a cup at the supermarket and pick them up on our way back from the supermarket.

So we turn the corner and just three houses up from where we saw the tadpoles, This woman who was doing yardwork, smiles at us and says "hello" as she is spraying some God awful Monsanto quemical on her lawn.

When we come back from the supermarket, there is nothing but a white, multicolored, soaplike foam, were the tadpoles were and no tadpoles. Thanks to the lady with the hose, and spray roundup quemical doing her yardwork.

My son was dissapointed, but this is tipical. People don't realize that Frogs are extremely sensitive, and that when there are lots of frogs around it is an actual indicator that your environment and drinking water are healthy.

Since then, my son and I pick up tadpoles sometimes and raise them in our bathroom, we feed them lettuce, talk to them and hold them in our hands, when they are big frogs, we set them FREE! They come back and visit us. We recognized them by their stripes. They are so sentive, that one of them died because we use tap water instead of rain water. (tap water has small amounts of clorine in it).

I am one of the few people that has frogs in their backyard, because I choose to not uses any chemicals in my backyard. I do everything the old fashioned way, for example, I buy Ladybugs online, they arrive by mail, ready to eat the bad bugs/pests in my backyard.

Frogs also love to eat the mosquitoes, aphids and the flies around my house.

-anouk

-

fraggle

GardeningOrganically ;HomesteadCafe ;Homstead_Solarium ;lettuceheads ;TFHB ; Cc: jeninemarie

10/15/2004 4:46:02 PM

One-third of amphibians threatened with extinctionIf it is true that amphibians are, as Conservation International's Russell Mittermeier puts it, "one of nature's best indicators of overall environmental health," then we are all in big trouble, because amphibians are having a seriously rough time of it. According to a massive new worldwide study involving more than 500 scientists from over 60 countries, published today in the journal Science, up to 122 species of amphibian have gone extinct since 1980, and up to a third of known remaining species may be rapidly nearing that same fate. "This has taken the scientific world completely by surprise," said survey leader Simon Stuart. While air and water pollution, habitat loss, overharvesting for food and medicine, and a fungal disease called chytridiomycosis, which may be worsened by climate change, all play a role in the decline of various species, biologists are still baffled by the extent of amphibian disappearances. They speak of some species experiencing "enigmatic decline," and they're at a loss for how to help them.straight to the source: The Independent, Steve Connor, 15 Oct 2004<http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=3338>straight to the source: The Washington Post, Juliet Eilperin, 15 Oct 2004<http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=3339>straight to the source: Los Angeles Times, Marla Cone, 15 Oct 2004<http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=3340>

we are doing horrid things to our environment, and amphibians are like the canary in the coalmines...

its really kewl that yer teachin yer child to be aware like that..

hopefully he can keep this up his whole life...

we dump way too many things into our air, water and land..things we don't have the foggiest idea of wot they do..pesticides, herbicides, endocrine mimics, plastics, pcb's, antibiotics, hormones, medicines, etc and so forth....who knows wot this is doing out there? who knows wot synergistic reactions are occuring..

we generally only find out after its too late

here in california, most of our amphibians are rapidly going extinct...

even the "celebrated jumping frog of calaveras", made famous by mark twain, the red legged frog, is endangered...

i've maybe seen three frogs EVER here in oakland...

as fer tap water..heck, chlorine is only one of the multitude of additives they stick in there, whether on purpose er not

and, may communities use chloramine instead of chlorine, because its *more stable*..which is actually worse in some respects..with regualr chlorinated water, you can leave it out in the sun and air fer 24 hours, and most of the chlorine will either evaporate or be neutralized

not so with chloramine

ah well

better livin thru chemistry

cheers

fraggle Taga Sickler Oct 15, 2004 4:16 PM RE: singing pollywaddle dead all day

Hi Fragle,

Thanks for the info, this saddened me. I absolutely love frogs, I have many in my backyard and bathroom.

I truly believe that frogs are sentitive and intelligent funny looking and yes they recognized me.

One day, about a month and a half ago, my six year old son and I were walking to the supermarket one afternoon, it had rained all morning and the night before. There was alot of standing water around the gutters of our neighborhood.

My son had been learning about frogs at school and he was looking at the water and said "look mommy Tadpoles in the gutter" ! They were swimming in standing water in the gutter.

I thought about how this Hot florida sun was soon going to melt that water and I told him, if you want we can get a cup at the supermarket and pick them up on our way back from the supermarket.

So we turn the corner and just three houses up from where we saw the tadpoles, This woman who was doing yardwork, smiles at us and says "hello" as she is spraying some God awful Monsanto quemical on her lawn.

When we come back from the supermarket, there is nothing but a white, multicolored, soaplike foam, were the tadpoles were and no tadpoles. Thanks to the lady with the hose, and spray roundup quemical doing her yardwork.

My son was dissapointed, but this is tipical. People don't realize that Frogs are extremely sensitive, and that when there are lots of frogs around it is an actual indicator that your environment and drinking water are healthy.

Since then, my son and I pick up tadpoles sometimes and raise them in our bathroom, we feed them lettuce, talk to them and hold them in our hands, when they are big frogs, we set them FREE! They come back and visit us. We recognized them by their stripes. They are so sentive, that one of them died because we use tap water instead of rain water. (tap water has small amounts of clorine in it).

I am one of the few people that has frogs in their backyard, because I choose to not uses any chemicals in my backyard. I do everything the old fashioned way, for example, I buy Ladybugs online, they arrive by mail, ready to eat the bad bugs/pests in my backyard.

Frogs also love to eat the mosquitoes, aphids and the flies around my house.

-anouk

-

fraggle

GardeningOrganically ;HomesteadCafe ;Homstead_Solarium ;lettuceheads ;TFHB ; Cc: jeninemarie

10/15/2004 4:46:02 PM

One-third of amphibians threatened with extinctionIf it is true that amphibians are, as Conservation International's Russell Mittermeier puts it, "one of nature's best indicators of overall environmental health," then we are all in big trouble, because amphibians are having a seriously rough time of it. According to a massive new worldwide study involving more than 500 scientists from over 60 countries, published today in the journal Science, up to 122 species of amphibian have gone extinct since 1980, and up to a third of known remaining species may be rapidly nearing that same fate. "This has taken the scientific world completely by surprise," said survey leader Simon Stuart. While air and water pollution, habitat loss, overharvesting for food and medicine, and a fungal disease called chytridiomycosis, which may be worsened by climate change, all play a role in the decline of various species, biologists are still baffled by the extent of amphibian disappearances. They speak of some species experiencing "enigmatic decline," and they're at a loss for how to help them.straight to the source: The Independent, Steve Connor, 15 Oct 2004<http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=3338>straight to the source: The Washington Post, Juliet Eilperin, 15 Oct 2004<http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=3339>straight to the source: Los Angeles Times, Marla Cone, 15 Oct 2004<http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=3340>

To send an email to -

HI Fraggle

Apparently there's Prozac in the water in Britain. I guess that means there's a big chance of the US water being contaminated with Ritalin!

Jo

as fer tap water..heck, chlorine is only one of the multitude of additives they stick in there, whether on purpose er not

and, may communities use chloramine instead of chlorine, because its *more stable*..which is actually worse in some respects..with regualr chlorinated water, you can leave it out in the sun and air fer 24 hours, and most of the chlorine will either evaporate or be neutralized

not so with chloramine

ah well

better livin thru chemistry

cheers

fraggle

Low level of birth control pills, here, I've heard.

sara

, " Jo bb " <Heartwork@b...> wrote:

> HI Fraggle

>

> Apparently there's Prozac in the water in Britain. I guess that

means there's a big chance of the US water being contaminated with

Ritalin!

>

> Jo

>

> as fer tap water..heck, chlorine is only one of the multitude of

additives they stick in there, whether on purpose er not

> and, may communities use chloramine instead of chlorine, because

its *more stable*..which is actually worse in some respects..with

regualr chlorinated water, you can leave it out in the sun and air

fer 24 hours, and most of the chlorine will either evaporate or be

neutralized

> not so with chloramine

> ah well

> better livin thru chemistry

>

> cheers

> fraggle

Yes, we have that as well. With regard to the Prozac - I mentioned it to

someone yesterday, and they said they'd heard the latest research didn't

show any in the water - so I don't know what is right now.

Jo

-

" Sara " <gagrip5

Monday, October 18, 2004 10:40 PM

Re: singing pollywaddle dead all day

>

>

> Low level of birth control pills here...

> sara

> , " Jo bb " <Heartwork@b...> wrote:

> > HI Fraggle

> >

> > Apparently there's Prozac in the water in Britain. I guess that

> means there's a big chance of the US water being contaminated with

> Ritalin!

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > as fer tap water..heck, chlorine is only one of the multitude of

> additives they stick in there, whether on purpose er not

> > and, may communities use chloramine instead of chlorine, because

> its *more stable*..which is actually worse in some respects..with

> regualr chlorinated water, you can leave it out in the sun and air

> fer 24 hours, and most of the chlorine will either evaporate or be

> neutralized

> > not so with chloramine

> > ah well

> > better livin thru chemistry

> >

> > cheers

> > fraggle

To send an email to -

>

• 4 weeks later...

Prozac was discovered in the fish at Lake Ray Hubbard in Rowlet, Texas.

JessiPeter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Fraggle> Apparently there's Prozac in the water in Britain.Yeah... but at least we don't get depressed about it :-)BBPeter

Check out the new Front Page. www.