IndiaDivine.org

proper response

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, I was hoping that you all might be able to help me.

How is the proper response when you are defending the vegan position and are told that we are hypocrites because we abhor killing animals but we "kill" plants and vegetables to eat. Usually I tell them that when we eat fruits we are not killing the tree but accepting what the tree has to offer us and that most vegetables, once they are ready to be eaten, must be harvest or they will rot, that most vegetables only have one season anyway, so we are not killing the vegetables, rather we are collecting them once they have reached their peak and are dying. Unfortunately these replies are not always accepted and I the common come back is that we are still causing pain to the plants and are no better then those killing animals, because it's been proven that plants feel pain and "scream". I don't about any of this, but what should be our position? Thanks and I appreciate any help you can give me on this. :)

*** Ty-Flynn ***

that argument has to be one of the longest standing and most ridiculous ones out there..

first off, its a red herring..they really aren't looking for an answer

its just something tossed out there to make the meaties feel better

answers

1. as veggies, we cause less ecological harm...

2. wot do they think cows eat? if they truly believe in their argument, then they are 20 times worse then veggies as cattle, pigs, et al eat a whole lot more plants then we do

3. plants don't feel pain..they don't have a nervous system, they have pain receptors

the whole *scream* them is a misnomer

EVERYTHING reacts with everything else...constantly...

4. you are correct thing about fruits and such..fruits are MEANT to be eaten...thats the whole reason the plant produces them, so that something will come along and take the fruit and spread its seed...

finally...

when someone brings that question up and gets all smug, say "my bacchus, you are totally correct", then beat them over the head with a shovel and yell at the top of yer lungs "anyone else have any stoopid comments?"

sorry..i think i'm just gettin old and grumpy kozmictyger Oct 23, 2004 2:09 PM proper response

How is the proper response when you are defending the vegan position and are told that we are hypocrites because we abhor killing animals but we "kill" plants and vegetables to eat. Usually I tell them that when we eat fruits we are not killing the tree but accepting what the tree has to offer us and that most vegetables, once they are ready to be eaten, must be harvest or they will rot, that most vegetables only have one season anyway, so we are not killing the vegetables, rather we are collecting them once they have reached their peak and are dying. Unfortunately these replies are not always accepted and I the common come back is that we are still causing pain to the plants and are no better then those killing animals, because it's been proven that plants feel pain and "scream". I don't about any of this, but what should be our position? Thanks and I appreciate any help you can give me on this. :)

*** Ty-Flynn ***

To send an email to -

Just tell them the facts about the environmental advantages of being vegan, and how what we feed to animals to make meat could feed far more people than the meat feeds. I would also tell them not to be so stupid - but that's just me.

Jo

-

kozmictyger

Saturday, October 23, 2004 10:09 PM

proper response

*** Ty-Flynn ***To send an email to -

Hi Fraggle

Old and grumpy is good - when surrounded by idiots.

Jo

finally...

when someone brings that question up and gets all smug, say "my bacchus, you are totally correct", then beat them over the head with a shovel and yell at the top of yer lungs "anyone else have any stoopid comments?"

sorry..i think i'm just gettin old and grumpy

wait...you callin me old??

where's that shovel????

:) Jo bb Oct 23, 2004 3:58 PM Re: proper response

Hi Fraggle

Old and grumpy is good - when surrounded by idiots.

Jo

finally...

sorry..i think i'm just gettin old and grumpy

To send an email to -

Yeah, I think your right and they just say those things to toss something out there, probably in an attempt to justify their own meat eating and to make themselves appear not as vicious. Personally I think that argument is bullshit, but it ALWAYS comes around in a debate, usually I take the high-road, afterall we are not all on the level, but IMO, those who gorge themselves on carcasses are no more evolved then a caveman.

Thanks for you thoughts, I really appreciate the feedback. ;p

*** Ty-Flynn ***

Hi,

My stance on this topic comes from my study of Buddhist and yogic philosophies, which encourage to cause as little harm as we can as we pass through this earth. Just breathing massacres micro-organisms and we can't very well quit breathing. I eat plant foods not because I don't respect their right to life, but because I must eat them in order to survive, the same as I must breathe in order to survive. I do not need to eat animal products to live. There's tons of proof that we do just fine, and in most cases, thrive on diets free of animal products.

I hope this helps!

Love,

Anna

-

kozmictyger

10/23/2004 3:09:27 PM

proper response

I Think therefore I am Vegan =o]]

kozmictyger [kozmictyger]Sunday, October 24, 2004 7:27 AM Subject: Re: proper response

Yeah, I think your right and they just say those things to toss something out there, probably in an attempt to justify their own meat eating and to make themselves appear not as vicious. Personally I think that argument is bullshit, but it ALWAYS comes around in a debate, usually I take the high-road, afterall we are not all on the level, but IMO, those who gorge themselves on carcasses are no more evolved then a caveman.

Thanks for you thoughts, I really appreciate the feedback. ;p

Here's my take. OK, if you are eating meat, what do those animals

eat? Plants. OK, so it takes roughly 12 lbs of high-calorie plant

matterial to produce 1 lb of beef. So, that is an immensely larger

amount of plant killing than eating the plants straight. So, least

harm principles.

I don't believe that plants feel pain, anyway. I am a biologist, so I

look at it from the sense of evolution. There is no value in feeling

pain for a plant because it can do nothing to escape the source.

Therefore, an ability to feel pain would just be wasted energy to a

plant in forming all the necessary compounds. This would lead to

lower reproduction and the eventual elimination of that trait.

sara

, " kozmictyger " <kozmictyger@c...>

wrote:

> Hi, I was hoping that you all might be able to help me.

> How is the proper response when you are defending the vegan

position and are told that we are hypocrites because we abhor killing

animals but we " kill " plants and vegetables to eat. Usually I tell

them that when we eat fruits we are not killing the tree but

accepting what the tree has to offer us and that most vegetables,

once they are ready to be eaten, must be harvest or they will rot,

that most vegetables only have one season anyway, so we are not

killing the vegetables, rather we are collecting them once they have

reached their peak and are dying. Unfortunately these replies are not

always accepted and I the common come back is that we are still

causing pain to the plants and are no better then those killing

animals, because it's been proven that plants feel pain and " scream " .

I don't about any of this, but what should be our position? Thanks

and I appreciate any help you can give me on this. :)

>

> *** Ty-Flynn ***