Guest guest

peter ,

you better do your homework

Halloween is a Celtic holiday

adopted by the Americans because of the large Celtic population

it has been celebrated for 1000's of year before America was a rebel colony

lol

Craig

peter hurd [swpgh01]Saturday, October 30, 2004 11:12 PM Subject: Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

Another Americanism weve inherited, gee thanks folks..............when I were a lad we had none of this nonsense, nowadays a lot of people end up pelted with eggs/flour/any old crap by some little bar stewerds. A lot of old people are now terrified this time of year.

Luckily, the police are getting their act together ( wonders never cease?)

I hope we can give you Bonfire night as a fair trade?

Second thoughts, not a good idea passing explosives around over there is it?

The Valley Vegan....

Jo bb <Heartwork wrote:

We live in the middle of nowhere so don't have any trick or treaters. If wedid I would give out vegan treats I guess - but as it is Samhain I may notbe at home anyway.Jo-"silvertree173" Wednesday, October 27, 2004 1:48 AM Happy Vegan Halloween>>> Just popping in to say hi to you all and since it's this time of year,> I was wondering: for all the vegans out there, do you give out candy> on halloween and if so is it vegan candy or just regular candy? I'm> vegetarian, so candy bars are OK with me- I'll eat them and I'll pass> them out, but if you're vegan are you against passing them out or just> against eating them? I would guess since you'd have to spend money to> buy them you wouldn't pass them out, but I don't know... I have all> these random questions that pop into my head and I just like to know> and to stay in touch with the group when I can.> Thanks and have a spooky Halloween ;o)> ~Chrissie~>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Hi Craig

> you better do your homework

> Halloween is a Celtic holiday

> adopted by the Americans because of the large Celtic population

> it has been celebrated for 1000's of year before America was a

> rebel colony

> lol

Just to add a little extra info... did you know that the original

Christian version was created by Odilo, Abbot of Cluny, for use in

the Cluny monastic liturgy in the early 11th century. It proved

popular, and gradually spread to the rest of Christianity within

about 10 years!

BB

Peter

proves my point that is a long time before USA was around

lol

sorry it is one of my pet peeves about fellow Australians who think so many things come from USA

when in fact they come from Europe or elsewhere

all the best

Craig

Peter Kebbell [metalscarab]Saturday, October 30, 2004 11:42 PM Subject: Re: Happy Vegan HalloweenHi Craig> you better do your homework> Halloween is a Celtic holiday> adopted by the Americans because of the large Celtic population> it has been celebrated for 1000's of year before America was a> rebel colony> lolJust to add a little extra info... did you know that the originalChristian version was created by Odilo, Abbot of Cluny, for use inthe Cluny monastic liturgy in the early 11th century. It provedpopular, and gradually spread to the rest of Christianity withinabout 10 years!BBPeterTo send an email to -

- Jo bb

Saturday, October 30, 2004 4:43 PM

Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

It is thought that Samhain has been celebrated by a small minority of Pagans. As I did not know I was a Pagan when I was a kid and did not know any I had never heard of any celebrations of that kind at that time of year. I think that probably a few thousand people out of the 56 million population celebrated this festival. There was never any mention of it on the radio, television of newspapers - so obviously not a big thing here. Halloween doesn't bear much resemblance to the Samhain festival celebrations.

Jo

-

Craig Dearth

Saturday, October 30, 2004 4:22 PM

Happy Vegan Halloween

peter ,

lol

Craig

peter hurd [swpgh01]Saturday, October 30, 2004 11:12 PM Subject: Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

Another Americanism weve inherited, gee thanks folks..............when I were a lad we had none of this nonsense, nowadays a lot of people end up pelted with eggs/flour/any old crap by some little bar stewerds. A lot of old people are now terrified this time of year.

The Valley Vegan....

Jo bb <Heartwork wrote:

We live in the middle of nowhere so don't have any trick or treaters. If wedid I would give out vegan treats I guess - but as it is Samhain I may notbe at home anyway.Jo-"silvertree173" Wednesday, October 27, 2004 1:48 AM Happy Vegan Halloween>>> Just popping in to say hi to you all and since it's this time of year,> I was wondering: for all the vegans out there, do you give out candy> on halloween and if so is it vegan candy or just regular candy? I'm> vegetarian, so candy bars are OK with me- I'll eat them and I'll pass> them out, but if you're vegan are you against passing them out or just> against eating them? I would guess since you'd have to spend money to> buy them you wouldn't pass them out, but I don't know... I have all> these random questions that pop into my head and I just like to know> and to stay in touch with the group when I can.> Thanks and have a spooky Halloween ;o)> ~Chrissie~>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

we already got bonfire night sorta..

in the midwest and noertheast, especially around chicago, last nite was mischief nite...you were suppose to not only do horrid pranks..but..arson was everywhere... peter hurd Oct 30, 2004 8:12 AM Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

The Valley Vegan....

good ol samhain

Craig Dearth Oct 30, 2004 8:22 AM Happy Vegan Halloween

peter ,

lol

Craig

exactly how do you mean Jo?

all halloween is is a corruption of the old samhain with a christian grafting and then slowly adding traditions over the centuries...samhain, all hallows eve..halloween...

Jo bb Oct 30, 2004 8:59 AM Fw: Happy Vegan Halloween

- Jo bb

Saturday, October 30, 2004 4:43 PM

Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

It is thought that Samhain has been celebrated by a small minority of Pagans. As I did not know I was a Pagan when I was a kid and did not know any I had never heard of any celebrations of that kind at that time of year. I think that probably a few thousand people out of the 56 million population celebrated this festival. There was never any mention of it on the radio, television of newspapers - so obviously not a big thing here. Halloween doesn't bear much resemblance to the Samhain festival celebrations.

Jo

> proves my point that is a long time before USA was around

> lol

> sorry it is one of my pet peeves about fellow Australians who think so many things come from USA

> when in fact they come from Europe or elsewhere

Actually, I should just clarify... the Christian holy day was created by Odilo, the trimmings that go with it weren't a part of the Christian festival at that time.

I think Trick or Treat is a perculiarly American thing which has gradually spread (like locusts!), but the Pumpkins (or Turnips as it was originally) were an Irish tradition, and the "Ghosts and Ghouls" is a bit of a twisted version of the much older celebration / remembrance of the dead (still seen as a prevalent festival in some countries such as Mexico).

BB

Peter

let me clarify,

an American tradition would be 4th of July

as everyone has pointed out Halloween has much older origins

in Italy all saints day is celebrated on the 1st of November

it is a remembrance of the dead

I find it no coincidence that Halloween is on the eve of all saints day....

but as for trick or treat as an American origin look a little south to Mexico

and you will find a bit more about the tradition of trick or treat

as it came from Aztec origins..

I guess you could say it is AMERICAN but not from the United States

if you would like I will try to find my sources my memory ain't what it use to be =o]]

all the best

Craig

Peter [metalscarab]Sunday, October 31, 2004 10:30 AM Subject: Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

> lol

> sorry it is one of my pet peeves about fellow Australians who think so many things come from USA

Actually, I should just clarify... the Christian holy day was created by Odilo, the trimmings that go with it weren't a part of the Christian festival at that time.

I think Trick or Treat is a perculiarly American thing which has gradually spread (like locusts!), but the Pumpkins (or Turnips as it was originally) were an Irish tradition, and the "Ghosts and Ghouls" is a bit of a twisted version of the much older celebration / remembrance of the dead (still seen as a prevalent festival in some countries such as Mexico).

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

My emails have been playing up so I am answering a few in one go.

It is a little convoluted - It seems October 31 was a pagan celebration - with a Christian one imposed on top of it, and then Halloween on top of that.

My original point was (and the Valley Vegan's point) that Halloween was not celebrated in this country until the last couple of decades. Believe us - we live here! I now know that there must have been a few Pagans celebrating Samhaim in the woods or their own homes as we do now, but this was not public knowledge. Come to think of it - it is not public knowledge that it is celebrated this way now.

Samhain is the time of year for remembering people who have died that year, and previously, and even your ancestors. It is the Pagan new year - the time when the Earth closes down to rest before springing to life again. Samhain is celebrated mostly with outdoor rituals - lighting candles from the fire as a sign of a new year beginning, remembering your dead loved ones and friends, thinking on your achievements over the past year, and how you want to go forward. The ritual is usually followed by a picnic type feast, often with singing, dancing, stories and poems. Today I am going to a Druid ritual.

Unlike Halloween - no tricks! no calling on neighbours or strangers! No asking for treats. Although there are lots of weird costumes in sight - but these are normal wear for Druids and Pagans. :-)

Jo

-

Craig Dearth

Sunday, October 31, 2004 2:47 AM

RE: Happy Vegan Halloween

let me clarify,

an American tradition would be 4th of July

as everyone has pointed out Halloween has much older origins

in Italy all saints day is celebrated on the 1st of November

it is a remembrance of the dead

I find it no coincidence that Halloween is on the eve of all saints day....

but as for trick or treat as an American origin look a little south to Mexico

and you will find a bit more about the tradition of trick or treat

as it came from Aztec origins..

I guess you could say it is AMERICAN but not from the United States

if you would like I will try to find my sources my memory ain't what it use to be =o]]

all the best

Craig

Peter [metalscarab]Sunday, October 31, 2004 10:30 AM Subject: Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

> lol

BB

PeterTo send an email to - To send an email to -

Peter Hurd wrote:

>Another Americanism weve inherited, gee thanks

>folks . . . I hope we can give you Bonfire night as a

fair trade?Second thoughts, not a good idea passing

explosives >around over there is it?

Reading this at 530 am on a Sunday Halloween morning,

have been seized by the giggles. Thanks for that ;=)

We had none of that nonsense when I was a lass 'over

there' either, and the greatest danger on bonfire

night was burning your fingers on the hot potatoes.

Progress, eh? But while you're trading celebrations,

be careful: you may do as we (now) Canadians have and

inherit Thanksgiving (albeit a month earlier) with all

its family neuroses. At least bonfire night demolishes

only an effigy, not a living bird!

And now back to wondering why my little dogs forgot to

re-set their clocks for the end of daylight saving

time. I TOLD them!

And yes, to keep on topic, Happy VEGAN Hallowe'en! LOL

Pat the lurker

=====

-----------

" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its

animals are treated. " - Gandhi

http://www.angelfire.com/art/pendragon/

/

townhounds/

vegetariansincanada/

vegetarianslimming/

Hi Pat

> But while you're trading celebrations,

> be careful: you may do as we (now) Canadians have and

> inherit Thanksgiving (albeit a month earlier) with all

> its family neuroses.

Although, I believe the Canadians had Thanksgiving before the USA (at least

that was what I was told by a Canadian!)

BB

Peter

trick er treat is irish as well in origins.... Peter Oct 30, 2004 6:29 PM Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

> lol

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

dang lying cannucks!!!

just cuz they have health care and an army of mechanical sasquatches doesn't mean they can claim the first thanxfernuthin!

canadian thanxfernuthin was made a national holiday in 1879...the US was first made a holiday by washington, then again by Honest Abe in 1863...

the canadian one is partially based on frasier(ithink thats his name) in like 1848 er something..maybe later..

while ours is supposedly based on the pilgrims in 1621..we still beat those canadians as the first thanxfernuthin on eventual US soil was 1541 by some conquistador in either tejas er new mexico....

:)

we win we win!!!

now...

can canada please invade....

thanx

fraggle Peter Oct 31, 2004 3:48 AM Re: Re:Happy Vegan Halloween Hi Pat> But while you're trading celebrations,> be careful: you may do as we (now) Canadians have and> inherit Thanksgiving (albeit a month earlier) with all> its family neuroses.Although, I believe the Canadians had Thanksgiving before the USA (at leastthat was what I was told by a Canadian!)BBPeterTo send an email to -