IndiaDivine.org

Happy Vegan Halloween

Rate this topic

Guest guest

the other reason I want to make this point

about the origins of Halloween.. and it really doesn't matter where or when it happened

is that

my fellow Australians love to bag out Americans

they think they are fools, stupid etc. etc.

but who is the bigger fool... the fool or the fool who follows the fool...

anyway it is an old issue for me and I can't resist biting when given the chance

=o]]

Craig

PS I can remember trick or treaters in and around Manly 20 years ago

there numbers have increased I agree

Happy Vegan Halloween

> proves my point that is a long time before USA was around

> lol

> sorry it is one of my pet peeves about fellow Australians who think so many things come from USA

> when in fact they come from Europe or elsewhere

Actually, I should just clarify... the Christian holy day was created by Odilo, the trimmings that go with it weren't a part of the Christian festival at that time.

I think Trick or Treat is a perculiarly American thing which has gradually spread (like locusts!), but the Pumpkins (or Turnips as it was originally) were an Irish tradition, and the "Ghosts and Ghouls" is a bit of a twisted version of the much older celebration / remembrance of the dead (still seen as a prevalent festival in some countries such as Mexico).

BB

Peter

those from Oz er just jealous...

ya'll wish ya didn't live on an island with giant chickens that can kill you and these oversized mice you call kangaroos...

:) Craig Dearth Oct 31, 2004 5:00 AM Happy Vegan Halloween

about the origins of Halloween.. and it really doesn't matter where or when it happened

is that

anyway it is an old issue for me and I can't resist biting when given the chance

=o]]

Craig

Happy Vegan Halloween

> lol

> sorry it is one of my pet peeves about fellow Australians who think so many things come from USA

Actually, I should just clarify... the Christian holy day was created by Odilo, the trimmings that go with it weren't a part of the Christian festival at that time.

I think Trick or Treat is a perculiarly American thing which has gradually spread (like locusts!), but the Pumpkins (or Turnips as it was originally) were an Irish tradition, and the "Ghosts and Ghouls" is a bit of a twisted version of the much older celebration / remembrance of the dead (still seen as a prevalent festival in some countries such as Mexico).

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

happy vegan halloween everyoneBbrewpunx wrote:

those from Oz er just jealous...

ya'll wish ya didn't live on an island with giant chickens that can kill you and these oversized mice you call kangaroos...

:) Craig Dearth Oct 31, 2004 5:00 AM Happy Vegan Halloween

is that

=o]]

Craig

Happy Vegan Halloween

> lol

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

All Hallows Eve is a christian/catholic celebration from whence halloween

came.....in the caribbean for instance on all hallows eve families take

candles snacks etc to the graveyard, to keep their loved ones company this

one evening a year...

however, halloween is based also on the pagan year turning, tonight i

consider to be new year..

catherine

pengam pagan princess

>fraggle <EBbrewpunx

>

>

>Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

>Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:40:32 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>

trick er treat is irish as well in origins.... Peter Oct 30, 2004 6:29 PM Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

> lol

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

and me - happy New Year Catherine - and Peter.

BB

Jo

> however, halloween is based also on the pagan year turning, tonight i

> consider to be new year..

>

> catherine

> pengam pagan princess

Happy New Year Jo!!

(and Peter)

Catherine xx

> " Jo bb " <Heartwork

>

>

>Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

>Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:59:48 -0000

>

>and me - happy New Year Catherine - and Peter.

>

>BB

>Jo

> > however, halloween is based also on the pagan year turning, tonight i

> > consider to be new year..

> >

> > catherine

> > pengam pagan princess

>

>

who cares ok, lets just pass out candy and throw toilet tissue on people's houses we hate or settle down next to some vegan popcorn and watch a scary movie who cares about the origin and crap

All Hallows Eve is a christian/catholic celebration from whence halloween came.....in the caribbean for instance on all hallows eve families take candles snacks etc to the graveyard, to keep their loved ones company this one evening a year...however, halloween is based also on the pagan year turning, tonight i consider to be new year..catherinepengam pagan princess>fraggle <EBbrewpunx> > >Re: Happy Vegan Halloween>Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:40:32 -0800 (GMT-08:00)>To send an email to - > ATTACHMENT part 2 message/rfc822 From: fraggle Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:40:32 -0800 (GMT-08:00)Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

trick er treat is irish as well in origins.... Peter Oct 30, 2004 6:29 PM Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

> lol

BB

umm

in answer to yer question..obviously someone cares as they asked..and we were discussin it

if it don't interest you, then sorry...but thats the way the vegan cookie crumbles...

you'll find we discuss origins of things here a LOT!

cheers

fraggle kenisha gunn Oct 31, 2004 6:19 PM Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

who cares ok, lets just pass out candy and throw toilet tissue on people's houses we hate or settle down next to some vegan popcorn and watch a scary movie who cares about the origin and crap

well excuse me!

fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

umm

in answer to yer question..obviously someone cares as they asked..and we were discussin it

if it don't interest you, then sorry...but thats the way the vegan cookie crumbles...

cheers

who cares ok, lets just pass out candy and throw toilet tissue on people's houses we hate or settle down next to some vegan popcorn and watch a scary movie who cares about the origin and crapTo send an email to -

Read only the mail you want - Mail SpamGuard.

your excused....

make sure you show the hall monitor yer pass...

cheers

fraggle kenisha gunn Oct 31, 2004 6:51 PM Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

well excuse me!

umm

cheers

who cares ok, lets just pass out candy and throw toilet tissue on people's houses we hate or settle down next to some vegan popcorn and watch a scary movie who cares about the origin and crapTo send an email to -

Read only the mail you want - Mail SpamGuard. To send an email to -

very funny fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

your excused....

cheers

fraggle kenisha gunn Oct 31, 2004 6:51 PM Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

well excuse me!

umm

cheers

Read only the mail you want - Mail SpamGuard. To send an email to -

well..i'd say its funny..dunno about very funny tho

kenisha gunn Oct 31, 2004 6:59 PM Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

your excused....

cheers

fraggle

how amusing then mr. fragglefraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

well..i'd say its funny..dunno about very funny tho

kenisha gunn Oct 31, 2004 6:59 PM Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

your excused....

cheers

fraggleTo send an email to -

Is it a normal night in Chicago to light fires? any lootings? might as well as go for the set?

The Valley Vegan.......fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

we already got bonfire night sorta..

in the midwest and noertheast, especially around chicago, last nite was mischief nite...you were suppose to not only do horrid pranks..but..arson was everywhere... peter hurd Oct 30, 2004 8:12 AM Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

Another Americanism weve inherited, gee thanks folks..............when I were a lad we had none of this nonsense, nowadays a lot of people end up pelted with eggs/flour/any old crap by some little bar stewerds. A lot of old people are now terrified this time of year.

Luckily, the police are getting their act together ( wonders never cease?)

I hope we can give you Bonfire night as a fair trade?

Second thoughts, not a good idea passing explosives around over there is it?

The Valley Vegan....

To send an email to - Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

The Valley Vegan......Catherine Harris <cait2 wrote:

All Hallows Eve is a christian/catholic celebration from whence halloween came.....in the caribbean for instance on all hallows eve families take candles snacks etc to the graveyard, to keep their loved ones company this one evening a year...however, halloween is based also on the pagan year turning, tonight i consider to be new year..catherinepengam pagan princess>fraggle > > >Re: Happy Vegan Halloween>Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:40:32 -0800 (GMT-08:00)>

Hi Craig,

Bag out Americans? ( is this a homosexual practice?)

You ozzies aint too find of us Brits either are you, or Kiwis, or anyone who doesn`t live in Australia probably!

Who gives a donkeys dangler about Trick or Treating anyway?

All Hallows Eve should be for Pagans......

The Pommie Vegan.....

Craig Dearth <cd39 wrote:

is that

=o]]

Craig

Happy Vegan Halloween

> lol

BB

PeterTo send an email to - Peter H

Craig,

Sorry , but I gave up doing homework when I stopped bunking off school to make homebrew, when they stopped me playing guitar and piano in empty classrooms in the sixth form ( admittidly , I should have been attending some sort of lesson!)

Wish I`d never mentioned the stoopid seasonal excuse to mutilate pumpkins..........what have they done to deserve it eh?

Flippant and derranged as usual....

The Valley Vegan.........Craig Dearth <cd39 wrote:

peter ,

you better do your homework

Halloween is a Celtic holiday

adopted by the Americans because of the large Celtic population

it has been celebrated for 1000's of year before America was a rebel colony

lol

Craig

peter hurd [swpgh01]Saturday, October 30, 2004 11:12 PM Subject: Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

Another Americanism weve inherited, gee thanks folks..............when I were a lad we had none of this nonsense, nowadays a lot of people end up pelted with eggs/flour/any old crap by some little bar stewerds. A lot of old people are now terrified this time of year.

The Valley Vegan....

Jo bb <Heartwork wrote:

We live in the middle of nowhere so don't have any trick or treaters. If wedid I would give out vegan treats I guess - but as it is Samhain I may notbe at home anyway.Jo-"silvertree173" Wednesday, October 27, 2004 1:48 AM Happy Vegan Halloween>>> Just popping in to say hi to you all and since it's this time of year,> I was wondering: for all the vegans out there, do you give out candy> on halloween and if so is it vegan candy or just regular candy? I'm> vegetarian, so candy bars are OK with me- I'll eat them and I'll pass> them out, but if you're vegan are you against passing them out or just> against eating them? I would guess since you'd have to spend money

to> buy them you wouldn't pass them out, but I don't know... I have all> these random questions that pop into my head and I just like to know> and to stay in touch with the group when I can.> Thanks and have a spooky Halloween ;o)> ~Chrissie~>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

It turned into quite an interesting discussion Peter.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, November 02, 2004 5:45 PM

Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

Craig,

Sorry , but I gave up doing homework when I stopped bunking off school to make homebrew, when they stopped me playing guitar and piano in empty classrooms in the sixth form ( admittidly , I should have been attending some sort of lesson!)

Wish I`d never mentioned the stoopid seasonal excuse to mutilate pumpkins..........what have they done to deserve it eh?

Flippant and derranged as usual....

The Valley Vegan.........Craig Dearth <cd39 wrote:

peter ,

you better do your homework

Halloween is a Celtic holiday

adopted by the Americans because of the large Celtic population

it has been celebrated for 1000's of year before America was a rebel colony

lol

Craig

peter hurd [swpgh01]Saturday, October 30, 2004 11:12 PM Subject: Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

The Valley Vegan....

Jo bb <Heartwork wrote:

We live in the middle of nowhere so don't have any trick or treaters. If wedid I would give out vegan treats I guess - but as it is Samhain I may notbe at home anyway.Jo-"silvertree173" Wednesday, October 27, 2004 1:48 AM Happy Vegan Halloween>>> Just popping in to say hi to you all and since it's this time of year,> I was wondering: for all the vegans out there, do you give out candy> on halloween and if so is it vegan candy or just regular candy? I'm> vegetarian, so candy bars are OK with me- I'll eat them and I'll pass> them out, but if you're vegan are you against passing them out or just> against eating them? I would guess since you'd have to spend money to> buy them you wouldn't pass them out, but I don't know... I have all> these random questions that pop into my head and I just like to know> and to stay in touch with the group when I can.> Thanks and have a spooky Halloween ;o)> ~Chrissie~>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

yep! we all care - I thought it was good to hear different viewpoints.

Jo

umm

cheers

fraggle

Peter,

I get just as upset when some bags out any race or culture.

like I said before sometimes here in chat or emails we can only read the words

we can't hear the voice or see the expression. so things come across wrong lord knows

I have written things with good intentions or for humour and got slammed.

anyway all the best

Craig

peter hurd [swpgh01]Wednesday, November 03, 2004 1:31 AM Subject: Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

Hi Craig,

You ozzies aint too find of us Brits either are you, or Kiwis, or anyone who doesn`t live in Australia probably!

The Pommie Vegan.....

is that

=o]]

Craig

Happy Vegan Halloween

> lol

BB

Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to -

Craig,

To coin a phrase " No worries mate"

Stick another tinnie on the barbie or somesuch........

Your still a jolly swagman to me!

The Valley Vegan...Craig Dearth <cd39 wrote:

Peter,

I get just as upset when some bags out any race or culture.

like I said before sometimes here in chat or emails we can only read the words

we can't hear the voice or see the expression. so things come across wrong lord knows

I have written things with good intentions or for humour and got slammed.

anyway all the best

Craig

peter hurd [swpgh01]Wednesday, November 03, 2004 1:31 AM Subject: Re: Happy Vegan Halloween

Hi Craig,

The Pommie Vegan.....

is that

=o]]

Craig

Happy Vegan Halloween

> lol

BB

Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to - To send an email to - Peter H