IndiaDivine.org

Food colouring

Rate this topic

Guest guest

no one saved the blood of john or George,

if you mean beetle blood I am not sure.

I think most are synthetic or chemical although some come from more sinister sources

all the best

Craig

] Food colouringHi,What is food colouring made of? Someone told me red is beatle blood. Arethere any vegan food colourings?Catherine

depends on the coloring

there are scores of different artificial and natural food colorings

one red, carmine, also called cocheal(sic?) is obtained from the crushed bodies of a female beetle native to central america and mexico

food colorings can be from any number of things, petro-chemicals, coal, vegetables, a whole range of things....

fraggle Catherine Turner Nov 1, 2004 2:48 PM Vegan_Chat Food colouring Hi,What is food colouring made of? Someone told me red is beatle blood. Arethere any vegan food colourings?CatherineTo send an email to -

Carmine. Cochineal. Carminic Acid.Red pigment from the crushed female cochineal insect. Reportedly, 70,000 beetles must be killed to produce one pound of this red dye. Used in cosmetics, shampoos, red apple sauce, and other foods (including red lollipops and food coloring). May cause allergic reaction. Alternatives: beet juice (used in powders, rouges, shampoos; no known toxicity); alkanet root (from the root of this herb-like tree; used as a red dye for inks, wines, lip balms, etc.; no known toxicity. Can also be combined to make a copper or blue coloring). (See Colors.)

Carminic Acid.(See Carmine.)

I got this information from

http://www.caringconsumer.com/ingredientsfactsheet.html

when george harrison died, few years back, i was really saddened, I was at work having lunhc at the cafeteria, reading the paper and I said " A Beatle Died!, but I was in the company of two 18 year olds who had no clue who I was talking about. -very sad indeed, when I told them all about the beatles they said,

a few days later, they used this against me asking me didn't linda macatney died of cancer, being that she was a vegetarian and all.

I think there should be something in work policy rules where you can't tease someone for the food that they eat (or don't eat at their work cafeteria). kidding aside, It felt like harrasment. jokes like "I had bambi for breakfast, ha ha ha, are not that funny anymore. veganism is my religion. People think that it's ok to tease vegetarians/vegans, but dare we not say something about that fur coat that they are wearing.

vegan hugs,

anouk

-

Craig Dearth

11/2/2004 11:44:50 AM

Food colouring

I think most are synthetic or chemical although some come from more sinister sources

all the best

Craig

] Food colouringHi,What is food colouring made of? Someone told me red is beatle blood. Arethere any vegan food colourings?CatherineTo send an email to -

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Catherine

Taga Sickler [zurumato]02 November 2004 06:05 Subject: RE: Food colouring

Carmine. Cochineal. Carminic Acid.Red pigment from the crushed female cochineal insect. Reportedly, 70,000 beetles must be killed to produce one pound of this red dye. Used in cosmetics, shampoos, red apple sauce, and other foods (including red lollipops and food coloring). May cause allergic reaction. Alternatives: beet juice (used in powders, rouges, shampoos; no known toxicity); alkanet root (from the root of this herb-like tree; used as a red dye for inks, wines, lip balms, etc.; no known toxicity. Can also be combined to make a copper or blue coloring). (See Colors.)

Carminic Acid.(See Carmine.)

I got this information from

http://www.caringconsumer.com/ingredientsfactsheet.html

when george harrison died, few years back, i was really saddened, I was at work having lunhc at the cafeteria, reading the paper and I said " A Beatle Died!, but I was in the company of two 18 year olds who had no clue who I was talking about. -very sad indeed, when I told them all about the beatles they said,

a few days later, they used this against me asking me didn't linda macatney died of cancer, being that she was a vegetarian and all.

I think there should be something in work policy rules where you can't tease someone for the food that they eat (or don't eat at their work cafeteria). kidding aside, It felt like harrasment. jokes like "I had bambi for breakfast, ha ha ha, are not that funny anymore. veganism is my religion. People think that it's ok to tease vegetarians/vegans, but dare we not say something about that fur coat that they are wearing.

vegan hugs,

anouk

-

Craig Dearth

11/2/2004 11:44:50 AM

Food colouring

all the best

Craig

] Food colouringHi,What is food colouring made of? Someone told me red is beatle blood. Arethere any vegan food colourings?CatherineTo send an email to - To send an email to -