IndiaDivine.org

Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Majority Chinese takeup a Vegetarian diet whenever the economy is poor. The

Economy starts booming and most of them become meat eaters !! What is your

opinion on this ?

Vijay

I don't know about this topic specifically, but the trend throughout time is that as soon as a country becomes more industrialized and richer, the more meat they eat. Lesser developed countries are not going to waste huge amounts of water and grain feeding livestock... they are going to consume them. It is only when nations have become industrial or post-industrial when they start going towards a more meat-based, cruel diet. The perception that early humans were "hunters and gatherers" is rather backwards. Early humans mainly lived off of things such at berries and nuts because they could not kill animals. We are herbivores first and foremost.

~z

-

rvijay07

Saturday, December 11, 2004 8:01 PM

Majority Chinese takeup a Vegetarian diet whenever the economy is poor. The Economy starts booming and most of them become meat eaters !! What is your opinion on this ? VijayTo send an email to -

, " Zachary Johnson " <z.johnson@m...> wrote:

> I don't know about this topic specifically, but the trend throughout time is

that as soon as a country becomes more industrialized and richer, the more meat

they eat. Lesser developed countries are not going to waste huge amounts of

water and grain feeding livestock... they are going to consume them. It is only

when nations have become industrial or post-industrial when they start going

towards a more meat-based, cruel diet. The perception that early humans were

" hunters and gatherers " is rather backwards. Early humans mainly lived off of

things such at berries and nuts because they could not kill animals. We are

herbivores first and foremost.

> ~z

Exactly, you got the point. When a Country becomes rich, meat sellers quickly

get very busy promoting meat eating. Vegetarians are quiet and in the back seat.

It is unbelievable just around 15 years ago a huge number of Chinese (actually

the majority as per my source) were Vegetarian and then tookup meat eating. They

have a wine with a rat which is sold as a rich delicacy. They still have a lot

of Vegetarian restaurants but prefer the expensive meat places I heard.

Clear reason why we need a HUGE INTERNATIONAL VEGAN CHAIN that

offer/assists/promotes Veganism.

Vijay

i try telling my partner that we were herbivores first but he is having none of it, he is 100% carnivore! i do cook meat for my partner and son. does anyone else cook meat or are you all against cooking it?Zachary Johnson <z.johnson wrote:

I don't know about this topic specifically, but the trend throughout time is that as soon as a country becomes more industrialized and richer, the more meat they eat. Lesser developed countries are not going to waste huge amounts of water and grain feeding livestock... they are going to consume them. It is only when nations have become industrial or post-industrial when they start going towards a more meat-based, cruel diet. The perception that early humans were "hunters and gatherers" is rather backwards. Early humans mainly lived off of things such at berries and nuts because they could not kill animals. We are herbivores first and foremost.

~z

-

rvijay07

Majority Chinese takeup a Vegetarian diet whenever the economy is poor. The Economy starts booming and most of them become meat eaters !! What is your opinion on this ? VijayTo send an email to - To send an email to -

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

Meat-eating isn't natural. It is something that has been pushed upon us over many hundreds of years and now it is commonplace. The benefits of a plant-based diet are incredible but nobody seems to care. If we all ate plants instead of feeding so much of our grain to animals we will soon be killing we could help many people, but as the world becomes more "Americanized" there is bound to be more flesh consumption. It is something that must be resisted aggressively.

~z

-

rvijay07

Sunday, December 12, 2004 4:20 AM

Re: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

, "Zachary Johnson" <z.johnson@m...> wrote:> I don't know about this topic specifically, but the trend throughout time is that as soon as a country becomes more industrialized and richer, the more meat they eat. Lesser developed countries are not going to waste huge amounts of water and grain feeding livestock... they are going to consume them. It is only when nations have become industrial or post-industrial when they start going towards a more meat-based, cruel diet. The perception that early humans were "hunters and gatherers" is rather backwards. Early humans mainly lived off of things such at berries and nuts because they could not kill animals. We are herbivores first and foremost.> ~zExactly, you got the point. When a Country becomes rich, meat sellers quickly get very busy promoting meat eating. Vegetarians are quiet and in the back seat. It is unbelievable just around 15 years ago a huge number of Chinese (actually the majority as per my source) were Vegetarian and then tookup meat eating. They have a wine with a rat which is sold as a rich delicacy. They still have a lot of Vegetarian restaurants but prefer the expensive meat places I heard.Clear reason why we need a HUGE INTERNATIONAL VEGAN CHAIN that offer/assists/promotes Veganism.VijayTo send an email to -

Humans haven't always been at the top of the food chain... We used to live in trees. Big ol' cats and other things used to chase us around... To think that we were always able to kill whenever we felt like it...improbable. It wasn't until very recentely when plentiful meat sources have been available.

~z

-

victoria leggett

Sunday, December 12, 2004 4:23 AM

i try telling my partner that we were herbivores first but he is having none of it, he is 100% carnivore! i do cook meat for my partner and son. does anyone else cook meat or are you all against cooking it?Zachary Johnson <z.johnson wrote:

~z

-

rvijay07

Majority Chinese takeup a Vegetarian diet whenever the economy is poor. The Economy starts booming and most of them become meat eaters !! What is your opinion on this ? VijayTo send an email to - To send an email to -

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to -

The rule in my house is you eat what I cook or your make your own dinner. Of course, I'm single, which makes things pretty easy, but when my parents visit my mom cooks the meat for my stepdad (she eats whatever vegetarian dish I've concocted.) But if I ever marry or move in with someone, the rule is going to stay the same. I'll tell him that I'm happpy to do all the household cooking (I happen to enjoy cooking) but that it's going to be vegan fare. Anyone who wants meat has to cook it and clean up after it himself.

Love,

Anna

-

victoria leggett

12/12/2004 3:23:46 AM

~z

-

rvijay07

There are several issues which go hand in hand with industrialisation

and economic growth which really need to be taken into

consideration:

Firstly, many religions have periods of " fast " (i.e. periods during

which no meat is eaten), and religious zeal tends to fluctuate with

economy - in a good economy, you will find that people are generally

more encouraged to lead a secular lifestyle rather than a religious

one.

Secondly, meat is expensive. In medieval times, serving meat was

considered to be a mark of importance of the host - a status symbol.

When economies are bad, people will tend to buy cheaper food, which

tends to be vegetarian.

BB

Peter

Quoting Zachary Johnson <z.johnson:

> I don't know about this topic specifically, but the trend

> throughout time is that as soon as a country becomes more

> industrialized and richer, the more meat they eat. Lesser

> developed countries are not going to waste huge amounts of water

> and grain feeding livestock... they are going to consume them. It

> is only when nations have become industrial or post-industrial when

> they start going towards a more meat-based, cruel diet. The

> perception that early humans were " hunters and gatherers " is rather

> backwards. Early humans mainly lived off of things such at berries

> and nuts because they could not kill animals. We are herbivores

> first and foremost.

ask yer partner the last time he ran down a deer on foot and bit its leg off....

cookin meat? ummm...i'd rank that just below cookin up someone some heroin and just above runnin over a squallin baby in the road.... victoria leggett Dec 12, 2004 2:23 AM Re: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

~z

-

rvijay07

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

>

It all depends on the core Philosophies and the way the Chain works. Look at

Linux, it is a huge International chain/netowrk, mostly free. linux works so

very well and is giving MS the run.

Vijay

Anna Blaine <anna333 wrote:

> The rule in my house is you eat what I cook or your make your own dinner.

That's my rule too and my boyfriend accepts it. He sometimes cooks meat

for himself but usually eats what I have cooked.

Mito