IndiaDivine.org

Cooking meat was RE: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

On the question of cooking meat. Well I think it's harder if you've got a family to cook for. I live on my own and have no partner. When I was going out with last person I did cook meat a couple of times, wasn't too happy about it but not wildly opposed occasionally - rather than thinking of it in terms of not cooking meat, I like to cook good vegan stuff and give it people (when friends come round) and usually that's ok with my friends but if you have family and they're stuck in their eating habits it must be more difficult...

Catherine

victoria leggett [tipples78]12 December 2004 10:24 Subject: Re: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

i try telling my partner that we were herbivores first but he is having none of it, he is 100% carnivore! i do cook meat for my partner and son. does anyone else cook meat or are you all against cooking it?Zachary Johnson <z.johnson wrote:

I don't know about this topic specifically, but the trend throughout time is that as soon as a country becomes more industrialized and richer, the more meat they eat. Lesser developed countries are not going to waste huge amounts of water and grain feeding livestock... they are going to consume them. It is only when nations have become industrial or post-industrial when they start going towards a more meat-based, cruel diet. The perception that early humans were "hunters and gatherers" is rather backwards. Early humans mainly lived off of things such at berries and nuts because they could not kill animals. We are herbivores first and foremost.

~z

-

rvijay07

Saturday, December 11, 2004 8:01 PM

Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

Majority Chinese takeup a Vegetarian diet whenever the economy is poor. The Economy starts booming and most of them become meat eaters !! What is your opinion on this ? VijayTo send an email to - To send an email to -

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to -

my eldest son is 9, and veggie. my youngest is 8 and loves meat. i do cook veggie meals for him too but i dont feel it is fair to push my beliefs onto him. my veggie son made his own choice and i am hoping his brother will too. and as for my partner, i dont think he will ever change his eating habbits! Catherine Turner <catherineturner2000 wrote:

Hi,

On the question of cooking meat. Well I think it's harder if you've got a family to cook for. I live on my own and have no partner. When I was going out with last person I did cook meat a couple of times, wasn't too happy about it but not wildly opposed occasionally - rather than thinking of it in terms of not cooking meat, I like to cook good vegan stuff and give it people (when friends come round) and usually that's ok with my friends but if you have family and they're stuck in their eating habits it must be more difficult...

Catherine

victoria leggett [tipples78]12 December 2004 10:24 Subject: Re: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

i try telling my partner that we were herbivores first but he is having none of it, he is 100% carnivore! i do cook meat for my partner and son. does anyone else cook meat or are you all against cooking it?Zachary Johnson <z.johnson wrote:

I don't know about this topic specifically, but the trend throughout time is that as soon as a country becomes more industrialized and richer, the more meat they eat. Lesser developed countries are not going to waste huge amounts of water and grain feeding livestock... they are going to consume them. It is only when nations have become industrial or post-industrial when they start going towards a more meat-based, cruel diet. The perception that early humans were "hunters and gatherers" is rather backwards. Early humans mainly lived off of things such at berries and nuts because they could not kill animals. We are herbivores first and foremost.

~z

-

rvijay07

Saturday, December 11, 2004 8:01 PM

Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

Majority Chinese takeup a Vegetarian diet whenever the economy is poor. The Economy starts booming and most of them become meat eaters !! What is your opinion on this ? VijayTo send an email to - To send an email to -

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to - To send an email to -

Win a castle for NYE with your mates and Messenger

I don't plan meals with meat. I cook vegan. My partner is not

vegetarian so sometimes I'll have real cheese for him if we're having,

say, tacos. Sometimes the dishes I cook aren't filling enough for him.

So I'll throw a burger on the George Foreman grill for him. He has to

clean it though. I gave up nasty greasy messes years ago when I gave up

meat.

Laura

On Dec 12, 2004, at 7:15 AM, Catherine Turner wrote:

> Hi,

>  

> On the question of cooking meat.  Well I think it's harder if you've

> got a family to cook for.  I live on my own and have no partner.  When

> I was going out with last person I did cook meat a couple of times,

> wasn't too happy about it but not wildly opposed occasionally - rather

> than thinking of it in terms of not cooking meat, I like to cook good

> vegan stuff and give it people (when friends come round) and usually

> that's ok with my friends but if you have family and they're stuck in

> their eating habits it must be more difficult...

>  

> Catherine

>

> victoria leggett [tipples78]

> 12 December 2004 10:24

>

> Re: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

>

> i try telling my partner that we were herbivores first but he is

> having none of it, he is 100% carnivore! i do cook meat for my partner

> and son. does anyone else cook meat or are you all against cooking it?

>

> Zachary Johnson <z.johnson wrote:

> I don't know about this topic specifically, but the trend throughout

> time is that as soon as a country becomes more industrialized and

> richer, the more meat they eat.  Lesser developed countries are not

> going to waste huge amounts of water and grain feeding livestock...

> they are going to consume them.  It is only when nations have

> become industrial or post-industrial when they start going towards a

> more meat-based, cruel diet.  The perception that early humans were

> " hunters and gatherers " is rather backwards.  Early humans mainly

> lived off of things such at berries and nuts because they could not

> kill animals.  We are herbivores first and foremost.

> ~z

> -

> rvijay07

>

> Saturday, December 11, 2004 8:01 PM

> Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

>

>

> Majority Chinese takeup a Vegetarian diet whenever the economy is

> poor. The Economy starts booming and most of them become meat eaters

> !! What is your opinion on this ?

>

> Vijay

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

> ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

>

Hi Victoria

> my eldest son is 9, and veggie. my youngest is 8 and loves meat. i

> do cook veggie meals for him too but i dont feel it is fair to push

> my beliefs onto him.

I always find it a rather sad indictment of current Western society

that feeding a child a meat based diet is considered " normal " , and

feeding them a vegetarian diet is considered to be " forcing beliefs

on them " .

Personally, I think this should be the other way around - if I am ever

a parent, I will consider it my duty to look after my children in the

best way I can - in other words, feeding them the healthiest diet I

can... a vegan diet. Bearing that in mind, it must rightly be

considered that feeding a child a meat based diet is actually the

more acurately described as " forcing beliefs " on them. (Until, of

course, they make up their own minds about their dietary choices!)

BB

Peter

you know wot..i love you peter..... Peter Kebbell Dec 12, 2004 12:35 PM Re: Cooking meat was RE: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism. Hi Victoria> my eldest son is 9, and veggie. my youngest is 8 and loves meat. i> do cook veggie meals for him too but i dont feel it is fair to push> my beliefs onto him. I always find it a rather sad indictment of current Western societythat feeding a child a meat based diet is considered "normal", andfeeding them a vegetarian diet is considered to be "forcing beliefson them".Personally, I think this should be the other way around - if I am evera parent, I will consider it my duty to look after my children in thebest way I can - in other words, feeding them the healthiest diet Ican... a vegan diet. Bearing that in mind, it must rightly beconsidered that feeding a child a meat based diet is actually themore acurately described as "forcing beliefs" on them. (Until, ofcourse, they make up their own minds about their dietary choices!)BBPeterTo send an email to -

well i do what i think is best for my children. being a parent is not easy! and as ive only been vegan for a matter of weeks i think it is very unfair to ask my son to do the same. when he is older he will make his choice, and whatever his choice is i will not think any less of him. thats what you do when you have kids, respect their choices, even if you dont agree with them!!!!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

you know wot..i love you peter..... Peter Kebbell Dec 12, 2004 12:35 PM Re: Cooking meat was RE: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism. Hi Victoria> my eldest son is 9, and veggie. my youngest is 8 and loves meat. i> do cook veggie meals for him too but i dont feel it is fair to push> my beliefs onto him. I always find it a rather sad indictment of current Western societythat feeding a child a meat based diet is considered "normal", andfeeding them a vegetarian diet is considered to be "forcing beliefson them".Personally, I think this should be the other way around - if I am evera parent, I will consider it my duty to look after my children in thebest way I can - in other words, feeding them the healthiest diet Ican... a vegan diet.

Bearing that in mind, it must rightly beconsidered that feeding a child a meat based diet is actually themore acurately described as "forcing beliefs" on them. (Until, ofcourse, they make up their own minds about their dietary choices!)BBPeterTo send an email to -

Thanks, Peter. Exactly what I was thinking but since I don't have

kids, felt odd to say it.

sara

, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@b...>

wrote:

> Hi Victoria

>

> > my eldest son is 9, and veggie. my youngest is 8 and loves meat.

i

> > do cook veggie meals for him too but i dont feel it is fair to

push

> > my beliefs onto him.

>

> I always find it a rather sad indictment of current Western

society

> that feeding a child a meat based diet is considered " normal " , and

> feeding them a vegetarian diet is considered to be " forcing beliefs

> on them " .

>

> Personally, I think this should be the other way around - if I am

ever

> a parent, I will consider it my duty to look after my children in

the

> best way I can - in other words, feeding them the healthiest diet I

> can... a vegan diet. Bearing that in mind, it must rightly be

> considered that feeding a child a meat based diet is actually the

> more acurately described as " forcing beliefs " on them. (Until, of

> course, they make up their own minds about their dietary choices!)

>

> BB

> Peter

True, true. I think Peter was making a comment on society, not

trying to make you feel bad. We all support your choice to be vegan.

We all do what we can.

sara

, victoria leggett <tipples78>

wrote:

> well i do what i think is best for my children. being a parent is

not easy! and as ive only been vegan for a matter of weeks i think

it is very unfair to ask my son to do the same. when he is older he

will make his choice, and whatever his choice is i will not think

any less of him. thats what you do when you have kids, respect their

choices, even if you dont agree with them!!!!

i was gonna say " i have a thing fer peters"..but.,..wow, talk about puttin my foot in it... Peter Dec 13, 2004 4:03 PM Re: Cooking meat was RE: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

Hi Fraggle

> you know wot..i love you peter.....

Y'know, you could get a reputation.... first you propose to the other Peter, now this :-)

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

Hi Victoria

> well i do what i think is best for my children. being a parent is not easy! and as ive only been vegan for a matter of weeks i

> think it is very unfair to ask my son to do the same. when he is older he will make his choice, and whatever his choice is i

> will not think any less of him. thats what you do when you have kids, respect their choices, even if you dont agree with

> them!!!!

I don't disagree with you at all on respecting your children's choices. But the way you phrased your post implied that your son hadn't made a decision on his dietary choices, which implied to me you need to decide what to do until he does make his own decision.

I suppose it is fair to say that the attitude of someone new to veganism, with all the complexities that the change to a vegan diet brings, is very different to those who have been vegan for a while, and who have got used to a different way of thinking about meat.

BB

Peter

Hi Fraggle

> i was gonna say " i have a thing fer peters"..but.,..wow, talk about puttin my foot in it...

Well, if you insist, but it's not really a subject I know much about... but here goes.

First of all, you need an it, then you need a foot.... and then you put the latter into the former.

OK, that's it - I've exhausted my repertoire on the subject!

BB

Peter

I don't agree. If my son's choice would be to become a serial murderer,

for example, I surely wouldn't respect his choice. If his choice

would be to become a vivisector, I wouldn't respect his choice. If his

choice would be to become a rapist, I wouldn't respect his choice.

If I had lived several hundred years ago and my son's choice would

be to become a slave owner or slave merchant, I wouldn't respect his choice.

And so on, and so on...

Almost all kinds of abusing and torturing non-human animals are legal in this

society, but nevertheless they are cruel and immoral. Legaly we all have choice

to support them and participate in them or not. But ethically and morally

such choice doesn't exist. If we support unnecessary abuse, torture and

exploation, we act immorally, whether our choice is legal or not, just in the same

way as choice of slave owners and slave merchants was legal but immoral.

Regards,

H. N.

-

victoria leggett

Monday, December 13, 2004 11:14 PM

Re: Cooking meat was RE: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

well i do what i think is best for my children. being a parent is not easy! and as ive only been vegan for a matter of weeks i think it is very unfair to ask my son to do the same. when he is older he will make his choice, and whatever his choice is i will not think any less of him. thats what you do when you have kids, respect their choices, even if you dont agree with them!!!!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

you know wot..i love you peter..... Peter Kebbell Dec 12, 2004 12:35 PM Re: Cooking meat was RE: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism. Hi Victoria> my eldest son is 9, and veggie. my youngest is 8 and loves meat. i> do cook veggie meals for him too but i dont feel it is fair to push> my beliefs onto him. I always find it a rather sad indictment of current Western societythat feeding a child a meat based diet is considered "normal", andfeeding them a vegetarian diet is considered to be "forcing beliefson them".Personally, I think this should be the other way around - if I am evera parent, I will consider it my duty to look after my children in thebest way I can - in other words, feeding them the healthiest diet Ican... a vegan diet. Bearing that in mind, it must rightly beconsidered that feeding a child a meat based diet is actually themore acurately described as "forcing beliefs" on them. (Until, ofcourse, they make up their own minds about their dietary choices!)BBPeterTo send an email to -

O.K. Move away from the keypad, put your digits in the air.

The Valley Vegan....fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

i was gonna say " i have a thing fer peters"..but.,..wow, talk about puttin my foot in it... Peter Dec 13, 2004 4:03 PM Re: Cooking meat was RE: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

Hi Fraggle

> you know wot..i love you peter.....

Y'know, you could get a reputation.... first you propose to the other Peter, now this :-)

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

After proposing to me in my native tongue! You brazen hussy!

Oh Shucks

Goodnight John Boy!

The Valley vegan......fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

you know wot..i love you peter..... Peter Kebbell Dec 12, 2004 12:35 PM Re: Cooking meat was RE: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism. Hi Victoria> my eldest son is 9, and veggie. my youngest is 8 and loves meat. i> do cook veggie meals for him too but i dont feel it is fair to push> my beliefs onto him. I always find it a rather sad indictment of current Western societythat feeding a child a meat based diet is considered "normal", andfeeding them a vegetarian diet is considered to be "forcing beliefson them".Personally, I think this should be the other way around - if I am evera parent, I will consider it my duty to look after my children in thebest way I can - in other words, feeding them the healthiest diet Ican... a vegan diet.

Bearing that in mind, it must rightly beconsidered that feeding a child a meat based diet is actually themore acurately described as "forcing beliefs" on them. (Until, ofcourse, they make up their own minds about their dietary choices!)BBPeterTo send an email to -

like i said it is his choice! he is an 8 year old with a mind of his own. i do not agree, however i made my choice and he has made his. we can not make others do as we do, just encourage them to think about their actions!Hrvoje Nezic <hrvoje.nezic wrote:

I don't agree. If my son's choice would be to become a serial murderer,

for example, I surely wouldn't respect his choice. If his choice

would be to become a vivisector, I wouldn't respect his choice. If his

choice would be to become a rapist, I wouldn't respect his choice.

If I had lived several hundred years ago and my son's choice would

be to become a slave owner or slave merchant, I wouldn't respect his choice.

And so on, and so on...

Almost all kinds of abusing and torturing non-human animals are legal in this

society, but nevertheless they are cruel and immoral. Legaly we all have choice

to support them and participate in them or not. But ethically and morally

such choice doesn't exist. If we support unnecessary abuse, torture and

exploation, we act immorally, whether our choice is legal or not, just in the same

way as choice of slave owners and slave merchants was legal but immoral.

Regards,

H. N.

-

victoria leggett

Monday, December 13, 2004 11:14 PM

Re: Cooking meat was RE: Your Opinion: China Vegetarianism.

thanks for that sara, was feeling pretty low when i came off yesterday. trying my best

vicSara <gagrip5 wrote:

True, true. I think Peter was making a comment on society, not trying to make you feel bad. We all support your choice to be vegan. We all do what we can.sara , victoria leggett <tipples78> wrote:> well i do what i think is best for my children. being a parent is not easy! and as ive only been vegan for a matter of weeks i think it is very unfair to ask my son to do the same. when he is older he will make his choice, and whatever his choice is i will not think any less of him. thats what you do when you have kids, respect their choices, even if you dont agree with them!!!!To send an email to -

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

LOL!

Yo know as much about it as I do but express it better.

Jo

Well, if you insist, but it's not really a subject I know much about... but here goes.

First of all, you need an it, then you need a foot.... and then you put the latter into the former.

OK, that's it - I've exhausted my repertoire on the subject!

BB

Peter