IndiaDivine.org

Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Just been getting the latest grocery fliers. Lots of meat. The fliers are very

unvegan. Meat is associated with celebration, richness etc., etc., so lots of

meat sales expected for the Holiday Season.

Ironically, a great local Vegan Place closed down. It was in a mall, employed

students, had great low prices, great selection, excellent quality and were

VEGAN. Looks like probably their rent wentup or they were not breaking even at

their very low prices. Today, when I went to shop there it was closed and all

empty. Looks like meat brings in more profits.

Vijay

meat has traditonally been a dish for the wealthy and elite...

face it, it takes a lo more resources to raise something, feed it, care fer it, then kill it, then it does t o grow wheat...as the West became more industrialized and mechanized, all that changed...

it also, tada, goes back to oil...cheap energy supply.... rvijay07 Dec 12, 2004 9:49 AM Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes. Just been getting the latest grocery fliers. Lots of meat. The fliers are very unvegan. Meat is associated with celebration, richness etc., etc., so lots of meat sales expected for the Holiday Season.Ironically, a great local Vegan Place closed down. It was in a mall, employed students, had great low prices, great selection, excellent quality and were VEGAN. Looks like probably their rent wentup or they were not breaking even at their very low prices. Today, when I went to shop there it was closed and all empty. Looks like meat brings in more profits.VijayTo send an email to -

Back to the peak oil crisis thread, I've seen ads on TV the past couple of days with Idaho guv Kempthorne encouraging me to use ethanol. Are there any benefits to this, assuming my 93 Camry could even digest it?

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

12/12/2004 5:19:45 PM

Re: Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes.

meat has traditonally been a dish for the wealthy and elite...

face it, it takes a lo more resources to raise something, feed it, care fer it, then kill it, then it does t o grow wheat...as the West became more industrialized and mechanized, all that changed...

it also, tada, goes back to oil...cheap energy supply.... rvijay07 Dec 12, 2004 9:49 AM Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes. Just been getting the latest grocery fliers. Lots of meat. The fliers are very unvegan. Meat is associated with celebration, richness etc., etc., so lots of meat sales expected for the Holiday Season.Ironically, a great local Vegan Place closed down. It was in a mall, employed students, had great low prices, great selection, excellent quality and were VEGAN. Looks like probably their rent wentup or they were not breaking even at their very low prices. Today, when I went to shop there it was closed and all empty. Looks like meat brings in more profits.VijayTo send an email to -

ethanol is blended with gasoline and doesn't impact the perfomance of yer car at all.

as i have said tho, ethanol is sorta a glass half full thing...its a renewable resource, but at least in this lil country its all geared toward corn...,...and growin corn is sorta a very resource intense proposition...

as fer pure ethanol..any motor casn run on alcohol with just a little manipulation

(technically, you can toss alcohol into yer car and it'll run, but it'll wear it out without a few things done)

i've been toying with the idea of outfittin my bike to run on alcohol...i just need to change my O rings and get one other part.....but...where would i keep the still?

:)

fraggle Anna Blaine Dec 12, 2004 6:09 PM Re: Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes.

Back to the peak oil crisis thread, I've seen ads on TV the past couple of days with Idaho guv Kempthorne encouraging me to use ethanol. Are there any benefits to this, assuming my 93 Camry could even digest it?

Love,

Anna

rvijay07 wrote:

>Ironically, a great local Vegan Place closed down. It was in a mall,

>employed students, had great low prices, great selection, excellent quality

>and were >VEGAN. Looks like probably their rent wentup or they were not

>breaking even at their very low prices. Today, when I went to shop there it

>was closed and >all empty. Looks like meat brings in more profits.

Which vegan place? Which town/city was it in?

<3

Shari Black Velvet

I'm thinkin still on wheels... :P

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> ethanol is blended with gasoline and doesn't impact the perfomance

of yer car at all.

as i have said tho, ethanol is sorta a glass half full thing...its a

renewable resource, but at least in this lil country its all geared

toward corn...,...and growin corn is sorta a very resource intense

proposition...

as fer pure ethanol..any motor casn run on alcohol with just a

little manipulation

(technically, you can toss alcohol into yer car and it'll run, but

it'll wear it out without a few things done)

i've been toying with the idea of outfittin my bike to run on

alcohol...i just need to change my O rings and get one other

part.....but...where would i keep the still?

:)

fraggle

There is no bus system where I live. I live 10 miles from work and my

parents never let me learn how to ride a bike. And it's normally about 30

degrees this time of year.

And I can't teleport.

Love,

Anna

> [Original Message]

> Sara <gagrip5

>

> 12/13/2004 4:33:10 PM

> Re: Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes.

>

>

>

> I'm thinkin still on wheels... :P

>

> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> > ethanol is blended with gasoline and doesn't impact the perfomance

> of yer car at all.

> as i have said tho, ethanol is sorta a glass half full thing...its a

> renewable resource, but at least in this lil country its all geared

> toward corn...,...and growin corn is sorta a very resource intense

> proposition...

>

> as fer pure ethanol..any motor casn run on alcohol with just a

> little manipulation

> (technically, you can toss alcohol into yer car and it'll run, but

> it'll wear it out without a few things done)

>

> i've been toying with the idea of outfittin my bike to run on

> alcohol...i just need to change my O rings and get one other

> part.....but...where would i keep the still?

>

> :)

>

> fraggle

To send an email to -

>

This has nothing to do with veganism, but I think it simply terrible

that your parents never let you learn to ride a bike!

, " Anna Blaine " <anna333@e...>

wrote:

> There is no bus system where I live. I live 10 miles from work

and my

> parents never let me learn how to ride a bike. And it's normally

about 30

> degrees this time of year.

>

> And I can't teleport.

>

> Love,

> Anna

My mother said it was my father's decision and my father says it was my

mother's decision. And it's just too embarassing to try to learn now.

When I was 9 my grandmother gave me a bike with training wheels and I was

tormented over it by the other kids.

Love,

Anna

> [Original Message]

> Sara <gagrip5

>

> 12/13/2004 4:59:59 PM

> Re: Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes.

>

>

>

> This has nothing to do with veganism, but I think it simply terrible

> that your parents never let you learn to ride a bike!

>

> , " Anna Blaine " <anna333@e...>

> wrote:

> > There is no bus system where I live. I live 10 miles from work

> and my

> > parents never let me learn how to ride a bike. And it's normally

> about 30

> > degrees this time of year.

> >

> > And I can't teleport.

> >

> > Love,

> > Anna

To send an email to -

>

Don't despair. My grandma learned when she was 65!

, " Anna Blaine " <anna333@e...>

wrote:

> My mother said it was my father's decision and my father says it

was my

> mother's decision. And it's just too embarassing to try to learn

now.

> When I was 9 my grandmother gave me a bike with training wheels

and I was

> tormented over it by the other kids.

>

> Love,

> Anna

>

>

> > Sara <gagrip5

> > This has nothing to do with veganism, but I think it simply

terrible

> > that your parents never let you learn to ride a bike!

oh..like that wouldn't get jacked in my neighborhood

hahahahaha Sara Dec 13, 2004 3:33 PM Re: Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes. I'm thinkin still on wheels... :P , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> ethanol is blended with gasoline and doesn't impact the perfomance of yer car at all.as i have said tho, ethanol is sorta a glass half full thing...its a renewable resource, but at least in this lil country its all geared toward corn...,...and growin corn is sorta a very resource intense proposition...as fer pure ethanol..any motor casn run on alcohol with just a little manipulation(technically, you can toss alcohol into yer car and it'll run, but it'll wear it out without a few things done)i've been toying with the idea of outfittin my bike to run on alcohol...i just need to change my O rings and get one other part.....but...where would i keep the still?:)fraggleTo send an email to -

Sadly this seems to be the case more often in the UK too. Not sure if the number of Vegans is dropping or what? Anyone do a headcount lately?

Fraggle , you seem to be a font of knowledge, what say you?

The Valley Vegan.....rvijay07 wrote:

Just been getting the latest grocery fliers. Lots of meat. The fliers are very unvegan. Meat is associated with celebration, richness etc., etc., so lots of meat sales expected for the Holiday Season.Ironically, a great local Vegan Place closed down. It was in a mall, employed students, had great low prices, great selection, excellent quality and were VEGAN. Looks like probably their rent wentup or they were not breaking even at their very low prices. Today, when I went to shop there it was closed and all empty. Looks like meat brings in more profits.Vijay

Why can`t you teleport, all you need is a sprout!

The Valley Vegan....Anna Blaine <anna333 wrote:

There is no bus system where I live. I live 10 miles from work and myparents never let me learn how to ride a bike. And it's normally about 30degrees this time of year.And I can't teleport.Love,Anna> [Original Message]> Sara > > 12/13/2004 4:33:10 PM> Re: Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes.>>>> I'm thinkin still on wheels... :P>> , fraggle wrote:> > ethanol is blended with gasoline and doesn't impact the perfomance > of yer car at all.> as i have said tho, ethanol is sorta a glass half full thing...its a > renewable resource, but at least in this lil country its all geared > toward

corn...,...and growin corn is sorta a very resource intense > proposition...> > as fer pure ethanol..any motor casn run on alcohol with just a > little manipulation> (technically, you can toss alcohol into yer car and it'll run, but > it'll wear it out without a few things done)> > i've been toying with the idea of outfittin my bike to run on > alcohol...i just need to change my O rings and get one other > part.....but...where would i keep the still?> > :)> > fraggle>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

i read somewhere about 2 years ago that the number of vegans in the UK was dropping...

vegetarians seem to be on a slight increase here in the US

of course..so is the eatin of meat

go figure peter hurd Dec 14, 2004 9:11 AM Re: Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes.

Sadly this seems to be the case more often in the UK too. Not sure if the number of Vegans is dropping or what? Anyone do a headcount lately?

Just been getting the latest grocery fliers. Lots of meat. The fliers are very unvegan. Meat is associated with celebration, richness etc., etc., so lots of meat sales expected for the Holiday Season.Ironically, a great local Vegan Place closed down. It was in a mall, employed students, had great low prices, great selection, excellent quality and were VEGAN. Looks like probably their rent wentup or they were not breaking even at their very low prices. Today, when I went to shop there it was closed and all empty. Looks like meat brings in more profits.Vijay

Hi,

I didn't watch the newscast, but I saw on a newsbrief that sales of low-carb products are slumping and they were questioning if the low-carb craze is over. I figured it was another useless fad, just like all the low-fat (but still bad for you) products were in the 90s.

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

12/14/2004 10:58:45 AM

Re: Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes.

i read somewhere about 2 years ago that the number of vegans in the UK was dropping...

vegetarians seem to be on a slight increase here in the US

of course..so is the eatin of meat

go figure peter hurd Dec 14, 2004 9:11 AM Re: Christmas-Meat Sales/Vegan Store Closes.

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> Sadly this seems to be the case more often in the UK too. Not sure if the

number of Vegans is dropping or what? Anyone do a headcount lately?

> Fraggle , you seem to be a font of knowledge, what say you?

>

> The Valley Vegan.....

>

> rvijay07@m... wrote:

>

It is not just the number of Vegans dropping. Here are other reasons:

1. Mall rents are very high and Competitive

2. This store didn't sell Grains, salt etc., Just Fresh Veggies/Fruits. So even

if a Vegan wanted flour, dry beans, salt etc., he had to go to an Omni store.

So, I have a feeling that this store was frequented irregularly even by Veggies

considering the convenience factor. Low sales, low margins, high rent the

results are obvious.

Vijay

Hi Fraggle

> i read somewhere about 2 years ago that the number of vegans in the UK was dropping...

That would seem an odd thing... I'm not disputing it, 'cos I've not seen the figures, but it just seems an odd trend... unless, of course, a load of people who were vegan due to mad cow panics are gradually deciding that cows are safe again as it's not such high profile news anymore... but then, surely those people wouldn't have been vegan anyway, would they?

> vegetarians seem to be on a slight increase here in the US

> of course..so is the eatin of meat

That'll be all those non existant republicans in Ohio :o)

BB

Peter