IndiaDivine.org

Christmas ; works do.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Just thought I would let everyone know how my Christmas works meal went at the Thai restaurant.

I explained that I wanted vegetarian food and that I didnt want fish sauce/shrimp paste, dairy etc, and they seemed very good.

I had vegetarian spring rolls to start ( could`nt help myself breaking one in half and scrutinising the contents), and stir fried beancurd and courgetes with Holy basil and coconut rice ( bloody hot - loads of chopped chilies ) and a fresh fruit platter for dessert.

The only downer was the piss-head sitting next to me who wanted to argue about veganism all through my meal - there is always one!

We sat down to eat at and we finished at 20:00, which meant that I could escape the planned pub crawl and get home in time to see my kids before they went to bed - total result. After all I spend over 8 hours with these guys 5 days a week, there is only so much of them I can take!

How did everyone else do this year?

The Valley Vegan.........

Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

Hi Peter

Sounds good - apart from the chap next to you - as you say, there's always one!

Mine was good - tomato, basil and garlic soup, followed by something I can't remember the name of but was half a baked aubergine with mixed root vegetables in it - it was an Arabic dish and was quite hot. It was accompanied by hummous instead of the yoghourt dressing that was on the menu for vegetarians. I also had the veggies with it - brussels, broccoli and carrots and potatoes. I had a Christmas pud afterwards, without the custard. It was nice - and half my department are vegetarian, so there wasn't any discussion about the whys and wherefors!

Jo

-

peter hurd

Saturday, January 08, 2005 1:42 PM

Re: Christmas ; works do.

Just thought I would let everyone know how my Christmas works meal went at the Thai restaurant.

I explained that I wanted vegetarian food and that I didnt want fish sauce/shrimp paste, dairy etc, and they seemed very good.

I had vegetarian spring rolls to start ( could`nt help myself breaking one in half and scrutinising the contents), and stir fried beancurd and courgetes with Holy basil and coconut rice ( bloody hot - loads of chopped chilies ) and a fresh fruit platter for dessert.

The only downer was the piss-head sitting next to me who wanted to argue about veganism all through my meal - there is always one!

We sat down to eat at and we finished at 20:00, which meant that I could escape the planned pub crawl and get home in time to see my kids before they went to bed - total result. After all I spend over 8 hours with these guys 5 days a week, there is only so much of them I can take!

Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to -

sounds great Peter...(can i just start calling you Weter "welsh peter", to distinguish you from our other peter?)(hmm..does sound sorta kinky tho...)

not a big x-mas person...we brewed beer, then went over my ex's, who made us vegan meatloaf and veggies...it was all good(if a tad uncomfortable) until she told me that she lost her temporary tattoo in the *meatloaf*

all appetite was gone then...(i hate temporary tattoos as it is...and having it in the food...ugh!)

we then played some board games(how silly), then watched invader zim, then went home

had nummy thai last nite tho...

got taken out....

carmelized *chicken*

spring rolls

*drumsticks*

curried tofu with jalepenos and veggies

tons of rice

and lotsa thai iced tea

gawd, i luv golden lotus,,,,

and, just found out there's a new vegetarian/vegan Indian place in SF....

soo many places, so lil time(er $$$)

cheers

fraggle peter hurd Jan 8, 2005 5:42 AM Re: Christmas ; works do.

Peter H

That all sounds good, apart from the tattoo! Our veggie restaurants seem to be on the decline here. There are lots that have closed down over the last five years. I am trying to find any in Weston Super Mare where we will be going for a few days - but there don't seem to be any. I think the nearest is Bristol! If anybody lives that way and knows where we can eat I would appreciate the information. Also if Valley Vegan is reading - how about veggie restaurants in and around Snowdonia - as we are coming to enjoy your lovely scenery in the summer (blasted tourists, I hear you say) :-)

Jo

-

fraggle

Saturday, January 08, 2005 5:00 PM

sounds great Peter...(can i just start calling you Weter "welsh peter", to distinguish you from our other peter?)(hmm..does sound sorta kinky tho...)

not a big x-mas person...we brewed beer, then went over my ex's, who made us vegan meatloaf and veggies...it was all good(if a tad uncomfortable) until she told me that she lost her temporary tattoo in the *meatloaf*

all appetite was gone then...(i hate temporary tattoos as it is...and having it in the food...ugh!)

we then played some board games(how silly), then watched invader zim, then went home

got taken out....

carmelized *chicken*

spring rolls

*drumsticks*

tons of rice

and lotsa thai iced tea

cheers

Peter H

hmmm...doesn't quite sound like Khoresh..but

eh..eggplants are a huge part of many middle eastern and Arabic dishes soo...there's some old saying along the lines of "if a woman does not know how to prepare an eggplant 101 ways, she is not ready to marry"

and..you do realize wot a "pud" is on this side of the pond right? hee hee...

cheers

fraggle

*who has never had any of the english puddings ever..except fer bread.." Jo Cwazy Jan 8, 2005 8:50 AM Re: Christmas ; works do.

Hi Peter

Mine was good - tomato, basil and garlic soup, followed by something I can't remember the name of but was half a baked aubergine with mixed root vegetables in it - it was an Arabic dish and was quite hot. It was accompanied by hummous instead of the yoghourt dressing that was on the menu for vegetarians. I also had the veggies with it - brussels, broccoli and carrots and potatoes. I had a Christmas pud afterwards, without the custard. It was nice - and half my department are vegetarian, so there wasn't any discussion about the whys and wherefors!

Jo

-

peter hurd

Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to - To send an email to -

sorry to hear that

how's the UK economy in general?

things do definately go in cycles..and we've lost a few places here, but they are quickly replaced...

in the last 6 months...we lost

ambrosia(they retired)

layonna(no one ever went)

organic cafe(owner went on a long vacation)

and a couple places in berkeley

but..ambrosia has already re-opened as another vegan place..the organic cafe re-opened last nite as a raw food macrobiotic vegan place(again)..fergot the names...etc...

there's a jamaican vegan place in downtown oakland, and i really would like to try it out, but they are never open on weekends...

:(

fraggle

Jo Cwazy Jan 8, 2005 9:04 AM Re: Christmas ; works do.

That all sounds good, apart from the tattoo! Our veggie restaurants seem to be on the decline here. There are lots that have closed down over the last five years. I am trying to find any in Weston Super Mare where we will be going for a few days - but there don't seem to be any. I think the nearest is Bristol! If anybody lives that way and knows where we can eat I would appreciate the information. Also if Valley Vegan is reading - how about veggie restaurants in and around Snowdonia - as we are coming to enjoy your lovely scenery in the summer (blasted tourists, I hear you say) :-)

Jo

I'm obviously not ready to marry yet then! I won't tell Colin though as we've been married almost 37 years.

Okay then - what is pud your side of the pond!

Jo

-

fraggle

Saturday, January 08, 2005 5:12 PM

eh..eggplants are a huge part of many middle eastern and Arabic dishes soo...there's some old saying along the lines of "if a woman does not know how to prepare an eggplant 101 ways, she is not ready to marry"

cheers

fraggle

*who has never had any of the english puddings ever..except fer bread.." Jo Cwazy Jan 8, 2005 8:50 AM Re: Christmas ; works do.

Hi Peter

Jo

-

peter hurd

Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to - To send an email to -

We have one veggie restaurant in Kingston which is about half an hour away by car. There was one in Richmond, which has just closed. The one in Haywards Heath closed last year. Other than that we go to Brighton ( a couple of hours away) or Kingston or London. Last year in the Highlands we couldn't find a veggie restaurant anywhere - the two we had been to on our previous trip had closed down. Oh well - as you say - it all goes in cycles.

Jo

-

fraggle

Saturday, January 08, 2005 5:21 PM

sorry to hear that

how's the UK economy in general?

things do definately go in cycles..and we've lost a few places here, but they are quickly replaced...

in the last 6 months...we lost

ambrosia(they retired)

layonna(no one ever went)

organic cafe(owner went on a long vacation)

and a couple places in berkeley

but..ambrosia has already re-opened as another vegan place..the organic cafe re-opened last nite as a raw food macrobiotic vegan place(again)..fergot the names...etc...

there's a jamaican vegan place in downtown oakland, and i really would like to try it out, but they are never open on weekends...

:(

fraggle

Jo Cwazy Jan 8, 2005 9:04 AM Re: Christmas ; works do.

JoTo send an email to -

i still have problems with the lil buggers meself..i'd rather eat em somewhere else..even when i grow em i can never quite get the recipes down..

umm..pud

its a male organ.....

wahahahahahahaha...

and..need to take back wot i said...i had blood puddin a looooong ass time ago...like...sometime in the early 80's..lucky me..prolly got mad cow...

serves me right..

*sigh*

fraggle Jo Cwazy Jan 8, 2005 9:23 AM Re: Christmas ; works do.

I'm obviously not ready to marry yet then! I won't tell Colin though as we've been married almost 37 years.

Jo

-

fraggle

cheers

fraggle

Hi Peter

Jo

-

peter hurd

Peter H

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> How did everyone else do this year?

I made pot pies to take to my SIL's house for christmas dinner.

Mushroom and ale with potatoes and carrots. They were awesome

(though my 7 yo nephew said when he declined a piece " it sort of

extends the idea of what a pie should be " ).

And speaking of eggplant. My husband was born and raised in Iran

(he's half iranian, half american)and they have a great eggplant

dish that we usually have as an appetizer (kashk-e-bademjan).

Trouble is it's made with a product called kashk, which is liquid

whey. So I've come up with a vegan version of kashk and we brought

the eggplant. Everyone LOVED it - and these are all people who have

eaten the real thing their whole lives.

And the best part is we have a long tradition of exchanging only

homemade gifts - it's great to see what people come up with.

nancy

Ah! 'nuff said!

Black pudding - yuk! I could never bring myself to eat that even though I was a meat-eater for over 40 years.

Jo

umm..pud

its a male organ.....

wahahahahahahaha...

and..need to take back wot i said...i had blood puddin a looooong ass time ago...like...sometime in the early 80's..lucky me..prolly got mad cow...

serves me right..

*sigh*

fraggle Jo Cwazy Jan 8, 2005 9:23 AM Re: Christmas ; works do.

Jo

-

fraggle

cheers

fraggle

Hi Peter

Jo

-

peter hurd

Peter H

umm

nope...don't think so

ain't that the bacon drippins one???

ick Peter Jan 8, 2005 3:00 PM Re: Christmas ; works do.

Hey Fraggle

> *who has never had any of the english puddings ever..except fer bread.."

What about Yorkshire?

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Fraggle,

Call me what?!! Weter!?!?! sounds kinda camp to me. Can`t you come up with comething a bit more Celtic?..........now theres a challenge for your encyclopaedic brain!

And stop making me jealous of all the available takeouts you have! Pretty lame here in the valley that vegans forgot.

I bet you havent tried Banana Bread Beer ( apparently so named as Saxons refered to beer as bread?) according to the bottle anyhoo, definately has bananas in it wierd! still don`t know if I like it or not.

What the hell is invader zim?! more kinky goings on? SF is the place to be eh big boy?!

The Valley Vegan.............awaiting acronym....fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

got taken out....

carmelized *chicken*

spring rolls

*drumsticks*

tons of rice

and lotsa thai iced tea

cheers

Peter H

Hi Jo,

Your meal sounds good, you are lucky to have the support at work of other vegetarians, I have one in work but the other 17 are meaties.

The only thing that I know what to do with Aubergines ( eggplants for you yanks) is Imam Biyaldi - which is basically a scooped out roasted aubergines with the scooped out bits fried with onions and tomatoes and loads of fresh corriander and pine nuts, and roasted in the oven.

The Valley Vegan.......Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Peter

Jo

-

peter hurd

Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to - To send an email to - Peter H

What say you to spotted dick!

What say you to Jam Roly Poly?

Vegan versions are easy to adapt ( vegetable suet), and so is the custard ( Provamel vanila dessert) to go with them, oh I love a good pudding.

The Valley Vegan.........Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hey Fraggle

What about Yorkshire?

BB

PeterTo send an email to - Peter H

Hi Peter

> Call me what?!! Weter!?!?! sounds kinda camp to me. Can`t you come up with comething a bit more Celtic?..........now

> theres a challenge for your encyclopaedic brain!

I'm thinking something like Gryffudd....

BB

Peter

well..they all can't be winners you know...

how about Awenyddion?

banana bread beer...hmm..nope

tho, have had banana lambic..sooooo

close enough

bacchus, i love language...the word you are probably thinking of is bhreu..(note..brew!)..to ferment or bubble

the saxon word for beer was Ealu..(ale)..and we got the word beer from the saxon word for barley, Baere...

i think welsh fer bread is..umm..bara?

(the only reason i know that is an abandoned town in Connecticut called Bara hack..breaking bread..)

fraggle

peter hurd Jan 11, 2005 9:08 AM Re: Christmas ; works do.

Fraggle,

Call me what?!! Weter!?!?! sounds kinda camp to me. Can`t you come up with comething a bit more Celtic?..........now theres a challenge for your encyclopaedic brain!

And stop making me jealous of all the available takeouts you have! Pretty lame here in the valley that vegans forgot.

I bet you havent tried Banana Bread Beer ( apparently so named as Saxons refered to beer as bread?) according to the bottle anyhoo, definately has bananas in it wierd! still don`t know if I like it or not.

What the hell is invader zim?! more kinky goings on? SF is the place to be eh big boy?!

The Valley Vegan.............awaiting acronym....fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

got taken out....

carmelized *chicken*

spring rolls

*drumsticks*

tons of rice

and lotsa thai iced tea

cheers

Peter H

wasn't that one of my characters in our defunct story group?

heh Peter Jan 11, 2005 10:32 AM Re: Christmas ; works do.

Hi Peter

> Call me what?!! Weter!?!?! sounds kinda camp to me. Can`t you come up with comething a bit more Celtic?..........now

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

That was it Peter - Imam Biyaldi - it was nice, quite spicy. It is lucky to have lots of vegetarians at work. When the department does a lunchtime pre-Christmas 'nibbls' there's always plenty of different flavour hummous's, and other vegan things to eat.

Jo

Hi Jo,

Your meal sounds good, you are lucky to have the support at work of other vegetarians, I have one in work but the other 17 are meaties.

The only thing that I know what to do with Aubergines ( eggplants for you yanks) is Imam Biyaldi - which is basically a scooped out roasted aubergines with the scooped out bits fried with onions and tomatoes and loads of fresh corriander and pine nuts, and roasted in the oven.

The Valley Vegan.......Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Peter

Jo

-

peter hurd

Peter H

Peter H

Oooh! I'm getting hungry now. Takes me back to my childhood, when we used to have a pudding every day after dinner - I don't know how we didn't get fat!

Jo

What say you to spotted dick!

What say you to Jam Roly Poly?

Vegan versions are easy to adapt ( vegetable suet), and so is the custard ( Provamel vanila dessert) to go with them, oh I love a good pudding.

The Valley Vegan.........Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hey Fraggle

What about Yorkshire?

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

Peter H

Y'know - you may be right!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 7:00 PM

wasn't that one of my characters in our defunct story group?

heh Peter Jan 11, 2005 10:32 AM Re: Christmas ; works do.

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

To send an email to -