IndiaDivine.org

Not getting enough nutrients

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello everyone

I have discovered that my diet...the one I've been following for many years...has been deficient.

I just finished being a participant in a Vegan Health study and my results came out as deficient....even while eating a diet with a good amount of greens and beans and whole grains everyday. I also once in awhile supplemented with dulse, or spirilina and I think an occasional vitamin pill.

The results said that I was low in calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, E and D. But I was good enough with the anti-oxidants C and A.

Since then I've been doing some reading on optimal nutrition and the same thing keeps popping up. The idea that we need to supplement with a quality multi vitamin/mineral AND take separate C, Calcium magnesium and D, and E. The reason we need to supplement with these extras is because no quality manufacturer can fit in enough Calcium or C into their formula while keeping it small enough to swallow. That is why so many of the supplements are lower in these minerals.

I think I may have been deficient for years. And I kind of believe it because I have always felt I had less energy than most.

I am sure many of you are ahead of me on this one....just thought I'd share what I've learned.

Kristina

I would be interested to know what exactly your diet consists of as I never take supplements and I was tested for the major vitamins and minerals 2 years ago and all my levels were normal with my folate being high.I wasn't surprised as I do eat well but I was only concerned about B12 but my levels were fine. I've been vegan for 8 years

Do you eat fortified foods, -plant milks,cereals,margerine etc?

I know of some people that eat a junk vegan diet and have got deficiences, but not if you eat a wholefood diet,

Jo

-

lv2breathe

Cc: Lv2breathe

Sunday, January 09, 2005 11:31 PM

Not getting enough nutrients

Hello everyone

I have discovered that my diet...the one I've been following for many years...has been deficient.

I just finished being a participant in a Vegan Health study and my results came out as deficient....even while eating a diet with a good amount of greens and beans and whole grains everyday. I also once in awhile supplemented with dulse, or spirilina and I think an occasional vitamin pill.

The results said that I was low in calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, E and D. But I was good enough with the anti-oxidants C and A.

Since then I've been doing some reading on optimal nutrition and the same thing keeps popping up. The idea that we need to supplement with a quality multi vitamin/mineral AND take separate C, Calcium magnesium and D, and E. The reason we need to supplement with these extras is because no quality manufacturer can fit in enough Calcium or C into their formula while keeping it small enough to swallow. That is why so many of the supplements are lower in these minerals.

I think I may have been deficient for years. And I kind of believe it because I have always felt I had less energy than most.

I am sure many of you are ahead of me on this one....just thought I'd share what I've learned.

Kristina

To send an email to -

Jo

I am definitely not a junk food vegan at all. When I was 25 I taught myself how to cook natural foods...along the macrobiotic style. I still eat that way. I don't drink any coffee, no alcohol, no refined sugar (except rare bit on a holiday but even then it's almost non-existent). I avoid white bread, white rice...fast food....processed foods (except for rice cakes and baked organic corn tortillas). No diet soda.

Basically my diet subsists on a lot of rice, rye bread, lettuce (various kinds), beans (various kinds), various vegetables (string beans, cauliflower, broccoli, onion, carrot, etc all organic by the way). I eat avocados a lot...and tofu. Sometimes soy cheese. I have soy milk in my tea. I do eat Mexican food out (refried beans and corn tortillas and lots of salsa). I do eat Thai food on occasion. I eat a lot of olive oil...try to remember the flax. I also season with vinegar and Bragg's aminos.

So I am definitely not a junk food vegan. I do admit, though, in being haphazard with the whole food supplements such as dulse, or flax or gomasio. I am also guilty of not cooking more variety. And I am guilty of not cooking at all! I have often eaten things that are fast...but still whole and veg. I definitely need to cook more.

One thing to think about...I am about 115 lbs (sometimes less). If the RDA's are set for men who weigh let's say 180 lbs....then I think my RDA's would be less to fit my weight. If that is the case...then my RDA's seem pretty reasonable given my weight and the amount of food I eat to keep at that weight.

No I don't eat any fortified foods.

K

In a message dated 1/10/05 9:33:01 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, writes:

Message: 14 Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:14:45 -0000 "Joanne" <Kimberley1Re: Not getting enough nutrientsI would be interested to know what exactly your diet consists of as I never take supplements and I was tested for the major vitamins and minerals 2 years ago and all my levels were normal with my folate being high.I wasn't surprised as I do eat well but I was only concerned about B12 but my levels were fine. I've been vegan for 8 yearsDo you eat fortified foods, -plant milks,cereals,margerine etc?I know of some people that eat a junk vegan diet and have got deficiences, but not if you eat a wholefood diet,Jo

Hi Kristina,

After speaking to a friend who is "natural nutritionist" he says the RDA's are set quite high and calcium for example is set at the maximum we should have and he says that 500 is adequate and as you said those stats are for your average guy who ways 180lbs. Your vit D and B12 levels were 0 ,thats a bit worrying. Where do you live? Here in the U.K most vegans get their B12 and vit D from fortified soya milks,cereals and margerine. Soya milk is fortified with calcium aswell. Your diet appears to be quite good but you must get an adequate supply of B12 and Vit D everyday.

I was eating a high raw diet for a few years but now I'm eating a more macrobiotic diet with lots of whole grains like millet,brown rice, quinoa- these grains have magnesium and calcium in them too.Lots of steamed and raw organic veg, seawed tofu, beans, nuts and seeds, advocados and lots of fruit. I don't drink tea/coffee/ancohol/refined sugar as they deplete minerals from the body. I make 1 pnit of fresh vegetable juice per day of carrot/kale/spinach/beetroot/apple etc ,- I reccomend juicing as this is excellent for cleansing and getting minerals in the body,- If there's one thing I'd recommend to improve your health that's juicing! I couldn't live without my juicer!

I don't take any supplements but take B12 occasionaly,- I'm also beastfeeding so I need extra vitamins and minerals but I have lots of energy and feel great.

I eat Chinise food and chips occasionaly when I go out to eat. I get vit D in the winter as I've just been on holiday to a tropical island.

Are you getting enough iodine this can lead to symptons of tiredness if you have a deficiency?- I eat lots of Nori which is good and can be easily added to meals.

Its easy once you've got the know how,- Hope this helps

If you want anynore advice just let me know,

Jo

-

lv2breathe

Monday, January 10, 2005 7:13 PM

Re: Not getting enough nutrients

Jo

I am definitely not a junk food vegan at all. When I was 25 I taught myself how to cook natural foods...along the macrobiotic style. I still eat that way. I don't drink any coffee, no alcohol, no refined sugar (except rare bit on a holiday but even then it's almost non-existent). I avoid white bread, white rice...fast food....processed foods (except for rice cakes and baked organic corn tortillas). No diet soda.

Basically my diet subsists on a lot of rice, rye bread, lettuce (various kinds), beans (various kinds), various vegetables (string beans, cauliflower, broccoli, onion, carrot, etc all organic by the way). I eat avocados a lot...and tofu. Sometimes soy cheese. I have soy milk in my tea. I do eat Mexican food out (refried beans and corn tortillas and lots of salsa). I do eat Thai food on occasion. I eat a lot of olive oil...try to remember the flax. I also season with vinegar and Bragg's aminos.

So I am definitely not a junk food vegan. I do admit, though, in being haphazard with the whole food supplements such as dulse, or flax or gomasio. I am also guilty of not cooking more variety. And I am guilty of not cooking at all! I have often eaten things that are fast...but still whole and veg. I definitely need to cook more.

One thing to think about...I am about 115 lbs (sometimes less). If the RDA's are set for men who weigh let's say 180 lbs....then I think my RDA's would be less to fit my weight. If that is the case...then my RDA's seem pretty reasonable given my weight and the amount of food I eat to keep at that weight.

K

Message: 14 Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:14:45 -0000 "Joanne" <Kimberley1Re: Not getting enough nutrientsI would be interested to know what exactly your diet consists of as I never take supplements and I was tested for the major vitamins and minerals 2 years ago and all my levels were normal with my folate being high.I wasn't surprised as I do eat well but I was only concerned about B12 but my levels were fine. I've been vegan for 8 yearsDo you eat fortified foods, -plant milks,cereals,margerine etc?I know of some people that eat a junk vegan diet and have got deficiences, but not if you eat a wholefood diet,Jo

To send an email to -

oops! excuse my spelling mistakes as I'm trying to write this and feed a baby at the same time,

-

Joanne

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 6:52 AM

Re: Re: Not getting enough nutrients

Hi Kristina,

After speaking to a friend who is "natural nutritionist" he says the RDA's are set quite high and calcium for example is set at the maximum we should have and he says that 500 is adequate and as you said those stats are for your average guy who ways 180lbs. Your vit D and B12 levels were 0 ,thats a bit worrying. Where do you live? Here in the U.K most vegans get their B12 and vit D from fortified soya milks,cereals and margerine. Soya milk is fortified with calcium aswell. Your diet appears to be quite good but you must get an adequate supply of B12 and Vit D everyday.

I was eating a high raw diet for a few years but now I'm eating a more macrobiotic diet with lots of whole grains like millet,brown rice, quinoa- these grains have magnesium and calcium in them too.Lots of steamed and raw organic veg, seawed tofu, beans, nuts and seeds, advocados and lots of fruit. I don't drink tea/coffee/ancohol/refined sugar as they deplete minerals from the body. I make 1 pnit of fresh vegetable juice per day of carrot/kale/spinach/beetroot/apple etc ,- I reccomend juicing as this is excellent for cleansing and getting minerals in the body,- If there's one thing I'd recommend to improve your health that's juicing! I couldn't live without my juicer!

I don't take any supplements but take B12 occasionaly,- I'm also beastfeeding so I need extra vitamins and minerals but I have lots of energy and feel great.

I eat Chinise food and chips occasionaly when I go out to eat. I get vit D in the winter as I've just been on holiday to a tropical island.

Are you getting enough iodine this can lead to symptons of tiredness if you have a deficiency?- I eat lots of Nori which is good and can be easily added to meals.

Jo

-

lv2breathe

Jo

K

To send an email to - To send an email to -

Thanks Jo for your imput.

I think I read the same thing about RDA levels being higher...especially Calcium. They are calculating it for people who also deplete a lot of Calcium from their bodies because of excess protein (meat), alcohol, soda pop and caffeine. I don't do those things. I read also in one of my nutrition books that vegetarians have stronger bones...probably because it's not excreted from the high amount of animal protein. I have a couple of things against me and a couple of things going for me when it comes to my bones. Against: I was anorectic when I was a adolescent so it is quite possible I didn't get the full bone mass at a young age. Also, until I was 30 or so I drank coffee which is bad for the bones. Good News is this: I've been veg since 18 so that has helped...and I've always exercised since very young and I've been eating natural foods since I was 25...so all these things help the bones. I do feel I am at risk...because I am small...have gotten smaller as I get older so bone health is something I must look out for.

I am very glad to be more aware of the Vitamin D issue. The B12 thought I was taking care of but maybe not. I live in a sunny clime...and most of the year....my legs feel the sun often. But it may not be enough...in fact it looks like it is not enough. Vit D is very important for calcium absorption as well. I am going to take a supplement even though many purists would say it's not necessary.

Re: juicing. I don't like juicing. It feels too "yin" for me and unbalanced. I have found for me...that the most healthy thing is to eat vegetables in their whole form. I especially can't take fruit juicing...except grapefruit...too much sugar. But I am glad it works for you.

Thanks for your comments! : )

Kristina

In a message dated 1/11/05 9:49:31 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, writes:

Message: 5 Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:52:59 -0000 "Joanne" <Kimberley1Re: Re: Not getting enough nutrientsHi Kristina,After speaking to a friend who is "natural nutritionist" he says the RDA's are set quite high and calcium for example is set at the maximum we should have and he says that 500 is adequate and as you said those stats are for your average guy who ways 180lbs. Your vit D and B12 levels were 0 ,thats a bit worrying. Where do you live? Here in the U.K most vegans get their B12 and vit D from fortified soya milks,cereals and margerine. Soya milk is fortified with calcium aswell. Your diet appears to be quite good but you must get an adequate supply of B12 and Vit D everyday.I was eating a high raw diet for a few years but now I'm eating a more macrobiotic diet with lots of whole grains like millet,brown rice, quinoa- these grains have magnesium and calcium in them too.Lots of steamed and raw organic veg, seawed tofu, beans, nuts and seeds, advocados and lots of fruit. I don't drink tea/coffee/ancohol/refined sugar as they deplete minerals from the body. I make 1 pnit of fresh vegetable juice per day of carrot/kale/spinach/beetroot/apple etc ,- I reccomend juicing as this is excellent for cleansing and getting minerals in the body,- If there's one thing I'd recommend to improve your health that's juicing! I couldn't live without my juicer! I don't take any supplements but take B12 occasionaly,- I'm also beastfeeding so I need extra vitamins and minerals but I have lots of energy and feel great.I eat Chinise food and chips occasionaly when I go out to eat. I get vit D in the winter as I've just been on holiday to a tropical island.Are you getting enough iodine this can lead to symptons of tiredness if you have a deficiency?- I eat lots of Nori which is good and can be easily added to meals. Its easy once you've got the know how,- Hope this helpsIf you want anynore advice just let me know,Jo

My advice to you would be to eat more Almonds, fortified cereals & soya milk and fresh fruit.

The Valley Vegan.

lv2breathe wrote:

Hello everyone

Kristina

To send an email to - Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

iodine is routinely added to salt here in the colonies

Hi Jo

How old is your baby and is it he or she?

Jo

-

Joanne

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 7:06 AM

oops! excuse my spelling mistakes as I'm trying to write this and feed a baby at the same time,

-

Joanne

Hi Kristina,

Jo

-

lv2breathe

Jo

K

To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to -

I've got two children , a girl who's 20 months and a boy who's nearly 3,

Jo

-

Jo Cwazy

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 7:11 PM

Hi Jo

Jo

-

Joanne

-

Joanne

Hi Kristina,

Jo

-

lv2breathe

Jo

K

To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to -

Lovely! You must be really busy!

Jo

-

kimberley1

Wednesday, January 12, 2005 6:52 AM

I've got two children , a girl who's 20 months and a boy who's nearly 3,

Jo

-

Jo Cwazy

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 7:11 PM

Hi Jo

Jo

-

Joanne

-

Joanne

Hi Kristina,

Jo

-

lv2breathe

Jo

K

To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to -