Rate this topic

Guest guest

There are several Ghost Towns in North America. It is interesting to

read about them. Behind every town is a learning lesson/message as to

why the town no longer exists.

Here is a great site with some excellent Ghost Town Pictures. There

are some others that have lesser pictures and describe their history more:

http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/

Have you ever visited a Ghost Town ? Please share your experience.

Thanks.

Vijay

several..?

try hundreds...

and those are the just the *european* immigrant townsites (and a few other cultures, but mostly european)

now think about all the villages that existed before the arrival of the europeans, and the anazasi, et al..

i use to be an avid ghost town hunter...

i have no idea how many i've been to..from bara hack in connecticut, to rhyolite in nevada

scores of em..in california..

i can think of 3 right here in the bay area off the top of me head

there are true ghost towns, partial ghost towns, and tourist ghost towns

bodie california is more or less a true ghost town, even if it is a state park, darwin california is a partial ghost, and calico is a tourist ghost town rvijay07 Jan 25, 2005 4:22 PM Ghost Towns/Collapse There are several Ghost Towns in North America. It is interesting toread about them. Behind every town is a learning lesson/message as towhy the town no longer exists.Here is a great site with some excellent Ghost Town Pictures. Thereare some others that have lesser pictures and describe their history more:http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/Have you ever visited a Ghost Town ? Please share your experience.Thanks.VijayTo send an email to -

heh

you beat me to it..was gonna post that

the number of reasons are endless, tho it generally drift back to loss of economy, wotever it is....

when folks think of ghost towns, they generally think of old gold and silver towns(virginia city, bodie, etc)

once the mineral runs out, the town dries up, ppl move on...

thats wot happens when you have a limited resource

towns can die for any number of reasons, lack of water, crop failure, ..

there are no cut and dry reasons...there are ghost towns in the desert southwest, that were MILES from any water source, but for awhile they survived, until the mineral wealth ran out..(there are several sites in the vicinity of death valley that either had water brought in by mule, er they built elaborate tramways to bring it down from the surrounding moutains)(borax mining towns, silver mining towns, etc)

there are several ghosts in the mojave that i've been to, they came into being at the turn on the 20th century, when the area got a decade of wetter weather...once the weather turned dry, there crops failed and they abandoned the area..

there are old military posts which supported a local town

there are old spanish missions

stage couch sites

towns that sprang up along major routes, only to wither and die after a better route came along(the towns along rte 66 like baghdad california come to mind)

heck..i've been to times beach missouri, which is a ghost town because of dioxin poisoning...

fraggle

rvijay07 Jan 25, 2005 4:58 PM Re: Ghost Towns/Collapse , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> Thanks for the post. What are the main reasons Towns became Ghosttowns in your opinion ?VijayTo send an email to -

funny

go to the link

click on bodie...

scroll down to the rusted out car..

i have a picture of me sittin that same car

well..i thought it was funny... rvijay07 Jan 25, 2005 4:22 PM Ghost Towns/Collapse There are several Ghost Towns in North America. It is interesting toread about them. Behind every town is a learning lesson/message as towhy the town no longer exists.Here is a great site with some excellent Ghost Town Pictures. Thereare some others that have lesser pictures and describe their history more:http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/Have you ever visited a Ghost Town ? Please share your experience.Thanks.VijayTo send an email to -