IndiaDivine.org

Prof. Jared Diamond on Wikipedia

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I read "The Third Chimpanzee: The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal".

This is an excellent book.

-

fraggle

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 10:54 PM

Re: Prof. Jared Diamond on Wikipedia

i read guns germs and steel..and while it had some good points, i took issue with some of his theorums... rvijay07 Jan 26, 2005 1:39 PM Prof. Jared Diamond on Wikipedia A very impressive career indeed.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Diamondhttp://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/diamond_rich/rich_p2.htmlVijayTo send an email to -

sorry..took me a while to get back to this..

ok.please bear with me, as i haven't read the book since it first came out

but, one of his main thesis' seem to be that the reason the West is now dominating the world, is because of the domestication of animals. his point was that ppl who domesticated more animals, and had more beasts of burden, were able to move forward more quickly, etc. that was just part of it, from wot i remember, but it never sat right with me....

While its true that while the europeans had horses, and cows, and the first nations here in the america's didn't have any draught animals..i think that misses the point

the world is a cyclic place...

to me he seemed to be forgetting the major civilizations of old in the America's, the mound builder's, anazasi, the mayan, etc..

the rise of European dominance of the world has just as much t odo with happenstance and some luck as well as a different cultural identity as it does with anything else

If you want, i can discuss it more..but i can rather long winded

to be fair, he does also go into the unleashing of unknown diseases, the use of modern military tactics(which were just different, modern really don't mean much...)

fraggle rvijay07 Jan 26, 2005 1:58 PM Re: Prof. Jared Diamond on Wikipedia , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> What were your significant differences on what he said ?Thanks.VijayTo send an email to -

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

>

Thanks. Please respond at your convenience. In his latest book he

discusses several lost communities since ancient times and the related

reasons. So Collapse seems to be a lot better. If you get a chance

read it and let us know what you think.

Vijay

it'll have to get in line

i have quite a stack by my bed to dig thru...

:)

rvijay07 Jan 28, 2005 2:43 PM Re: Prof. Jared Diamond on Wikipedia , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> Thanks. Please respond at your convenience. In his latest book hediscusses several lost communities since ancient times and the relatedreasons. So Collapse seems to be a lot better. If you get a chanceread it and let us know what you think.Vijay To send an email to -