Hunting

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hunters have claimed a successful day of " legal " hunting and protest against

the hunting ban in England and Wales.

But anti-hunt campaigners said there had been widespread intimidation of

activists monitoring hunts.

Countryside Alliance chairman John Jackson said the day had been a " massive

demonstration by the rural community of support for hunting " .

The League Against Cruel Sports claimed the new act had been broken but said

the numbers of foxes killed had fallen.

Arrests made

Mr Jackson told BBC News people turned out " to show en masse that the

Hunting Act was a bad law " .

He said foxes and other animals had been killed " legally, so far as I know " .

Thousands of hunt supporters turned out at 270 hunts around the country on

the first day of the ban, with anti-hunt groups sending out 100 monitors to

check the law was not being broken.

There were only four arrests - over hunting hares in Wiltshire - although it

was not clear whether they were made under the Hunting Act.

They have been released on bail but police say they may face prosecution

under new poaching laws.

One anti-hunt protester was taken to hospital after a violent clash in Kent.

The man suffered facial injuries after an incident involving a group of men

at the end of the East Kent Hunt, near Ashford.

Monitor Penny Little, who monitored the Bicester Hunt in Oxfordshire, said

she had witnessed " gratuitous, spiteful killing of foxes " .

Video evidence

" If the hunting fraternity go out into the field and commit offences and

attempt to run circles around this law, there is only one development that

can occur from that, and that is a tightening of the law, " she said.

Although hunting with dogs is now a criminal offence, exercising hounds,

chasing a scent trail and flushing out foxes to be shot are still legal.

Mr Jackson, who had been at the Bicester hunt, denied there had been any

intimidation.

Health Secretary John Reid said " people would be well-advised to follow the

guidance of the Countryside Alliance " and hunt within the new law.

" When Parliament has spoken on a free vote, I think most people in this

country recognise the law has to be obeyed, " he told Sky News' Sunday with

Adam Boulton.

Mike Hobday, from the League Against Cruel Sports, said video evidence of

the law being broken would be passed onto police.

But he said the figure of 91 foxes killed - reported in some newspapers -

would be a major reduction from the 400 killed on a typical Saturday during

the season.

He said intimidation seemed to have been widespread and called on hunts to

do more to stop their supporters intimidating anti-hunt activists videoing

hunts.

" Being reluctant to have their activities being filmed is not a very good

way of building public confidence. "

I read that 91 foxes were shot this weekend in the UK for use in drag hunting, and apparently this is the same figure ( approx 100), that are normally hunted with dogs?, Hello? a dead fox is a dead fox?! The excuse is that most (most?) will have been shot by responsible accurate marksmen? so less suffering than beeing torn apart by a hound.

The only hunting related arrests were two men with a hare as they hunted with four dogs, not the regulation two?!

I also saw a picture of Mick Jaggers daughter parading down a catwalk with a fox skin on her shoulder........bitch.( the fox or the model?)

It all sucks like a hoover!

The Valley Vegan........Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hunters have claimed a successful day of "legal" hunting and protest againstthe hunting ban in England and Wales.But anti-hunt campaigners said there had been widespread intimidation ofactivists monitoring hunts.Countryside Alliance chairman John Jackson said the day had been a "massivedemonstration by the rural community of support for hunting".The League Against Cruel Sports claimed the new act had been broken but saidthe numbers of foxes killed had fallen.Arrests madeMr Jackson told BBC News people turned out "to show en masse that theHunting Act was a bad law".He said foxes and other animals had been killed "legally, so far as I know".Thousands of hunt supporters turned out at 270 hunts around the country onthe first day of the ban, with anti-hunt groups sending out 100 monitors tocheck the law

was not being broken.There were only four arrests - over hunting hares in Wiltshire - although itwas not clear whether they were made under the Hunting Act.They have been released on bail but police say they may face prosecutionunder new poaching laws.One anti-hunt protester was taken to hospital after a violent clash in Kent.The man suffered facial injuries after an incident involving a group of menat the end of the East Kent Hunt, near Ashford.Monitor Penny Little, who monitored the Bicester Hunt in Oxfordshire, saidshe had witnessed "gratuitous, spiteful killing of foxes".Video evidence"If the hunting fraternity go out into the field and commit offences andattempt to run circles around this law, there is only one development thatcan occur from that, and that is a tightening of the law," she said.Although hunting with dogs is now a criminal offence, exercising hounds,chasing a scent trail

and flushing out foxes to be shot are still legal.Mr Jackson, who had been at the Bicester hunt, denied there had been anyintimidation.Health Secretary John Reid said "people would be well-advised to follow theguidance of the Countryside Alliance" and hunt within the new law."When Parliament has spoken on a free vote, I think most people in thiscountry recognise the law has to be obeyed," he told Sky News' Sunday withAdam Boulton.Mike Hobday, from the League Against Cruel Sports, said video evidence ofthe law being broken would be passed onto police.But he said the figure of 91 foxes killed - reported in some newspapers -would be a major reduction from the 400 killed on a typical Saturday duringthe season.He said intimidation seemed to have been widespread and called on hunts todo more to stop their supporters intimidating anti-hunt activists videoinghunts."Being reluctant to have their

activities being filmed is not a very goodway of building public confidence."

Hi Peter

> I read that 91 foxes were shot this weekend in the UK for use in drag hunting, and apparently this is the same figure

> ( approx 100), that are normally hunted with dogs?

They reckon that it's usually nearer to 400 on a weekend hunt so it's been reduced by a quarter

> The only hunting related arrests were two men with a hare as they hunted with four dogs, not the regulation two?!

There's no way that there was going to be too much going on on Saturday - there was way too much media coverage for any hunts to try breaking the law. Give it a few weeks for the media frenzy to die down, and I should imagine we'll start to see some law-breaking and subsequent prosecutions.

BB

Peter

I heard that the usual weekly kill of foxes is 400!

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, February 21, 2005 12:51 PM

Re: Hunting

I read that 91 foxes were shot this weekend in the UK for use in drag hunting, and apparently this is the same figure ( approx 100), that are normally hunted with dogs?, Hello? a dead fox is a dead fox?! The excuse is that most (most?) will have been shot by responsible accurate marksmen? so less suffering than beeing torn apart by a hound.

The only hunting related arrests were two men with a hare as they hunted with four dogs, not the regulation two?!

I also saw a picture of Mick Jaggers daughter parading down a catwalk with a fox skin on her shoulder........bitch.( the fox or the model?)

It all sucks like a hoover!

The Valley Vegan........Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hunters have claimed a successful day of "legal" hunting and protest againstthe hunting ban in England and Wales.But anti-hunt campaigners said there had been widespread intimidation ofactivists monitoring hunts.Countryside Alliance chairman John Jackson said the day had been a "massivedemonstration by the rural community of support for hunting".The League Against Cruel Sports claimed the new act had been broken but saidthe numbers of foxes killed had fallen.Arrests madeMr Jackson told BBC News people turned out "to show en masse that theHunting Act was a bad law".He said foxes and other animals had been killed "legally, so far as I know".Thousands of hunt supporters turned out at 270 hunts around the country onthe first day of the ban, with anti-hunt groups sending out 100 monitors tocheck the law was not being broken.There were only four arrests - over hunting hares in Wiltshire - although itwas not clear whether they were made under the Hunting Act.They have been released on bail but police say they may face prosecutionunder new poaching laws.One anti-hunt protester was taken to hospital after a violent clash in Kent.The man suffered facial injuries after an incident involving a group of menat the end of the East Kent Hunt, near Ashford.Monitor Penny Little, who monitored the Bicester Hunt in Oxfordshire, saidshe had witnessed "gratuitous, spiteful killing of foxes".Video evidence"If the hunting fraternity go out into the field and commit offences andattempt to run circles around this law, there is only one development thatcan occur from that, and that is a tightening of the law," she said.Although hunting with dogs is now a criminal offence, exercising hounds,chasing a scent trail and flushing out foxes to be shot are still legal.Mr Jackson, who had been at the Bicester hunt, denied there had been anyintimidation.Health Secretary John Reid said "people would be well-advised to follow theguidance of the Countryside Alliance" and hunt within the new law."When Parliament has spoken on a free vote, I think most people in thiscountry recognise the law has to be obeyed," he told Sky News' Sunday withAdam Boulton.Mike Hobday, from the League Against Cruel Sports, said video evidence ofthe law being broken would be passed onto police.But he said the figure of 91 foxes killed - reported in some newspapers -would be a major reduction from the 400 killed on a typical Saturday duringthe season.He said intimidation seemed to have been widespread and called on hunts todo more to stop their supporters intimidating anti-hunt activists videoinghunts."Being reluctant to have the ir activities being filmed is not a very goodway of building public confidence."

Hi Peter

I too think it is likely there will be prosecutions. The League Against Cruel Sports are training up loads of new monitors, and I should think the Hunt Sabs Association is doing likewise.

BBJo

> I too think it is likely there will be prosecutions. The League Against Cruel Sports are training up loads of new monitors, and I

> should think the Hunt Sabs Association is doing likewise.

Yep - the HSA has drawn up a list of things to look for and film as evidence of illegal hunting, such as hounds going near railway lines or large roads, blocked up earths, etc.

BB

Peter

Maybe the figure quoted ( 100 ) came from the pro hunt lobby?, and the 400 figure from the anti?

I think you are right about the longer it goes on the more activity there will be. I still dont hold up much faith in sending two police officers to a hunt with a video camera, when they used to send a van full.

The Valley Vegan.Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

> I read that 91 foxes were shot this weekend in the UK for use in drag hunting, and apparently this is the same figure

> ( approx 100), that are normally hunted with dogs?

They reckon that it's usually nearer to 400 on a weekend hunt so it's been reduced by a quarter

> The only hunting related arrests were two men with a hare as they hunted with four dogs, not the regulation two?!

There's no way that there was going to be too much going on on Saturday - there was way too much media coverage for any hunts to try breaking the law. Give it a few weeks for the media frenzy to die down, and I should imagine we'll start to see some law-breaking and subsequent prosecutions.

BB

PeterTo send an email to - Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Hi Peter

> Maybe the figure quoted ( 100 ) came from the pro hunt lobby?, and the 400 figure from the anti?

> I think you are right about the longer it goes on the more activity there will be. I still dont hold up much faith in sending two

> police officers to a hunt with a video camera, when they used to send a van full.

The pro-hunt are indeed claiming that there has been no change in the numbers killed. The 400 figure came from a BBC news report (which traditionally has been pro-hunting), but I can't verify either figure.

The police have said that they are really not interested in doing anything about fox hunting, and will only take action if they either stumble across the law being broken (and thereby have no choice), or are presented with evidence by "members of the public". Fortunately there seem to be plenty of us prepared to turn up with video cameras to keep an eye on things!

BB

Peter