IndiaDivine.org

FW: Angry Vegan Parent

Rate this topic

Guest guest

here's the reply I got from Lindsay Allen, from that bbc article.

-anouk

-

Lindsay Allen

zurumato

2/23/2005 9:53:18 PM

Re: Vegan Parent

Dear Person, thank you for your thoughtful? Letter, Here are some comments that I am trying to make available to everyone in the hope that they understand better what I was trying to get across to the reporter, but which the reporter apparently felt would make her story less newsworthy. Sincerely, Lindsay AllenDue to a large amount of mail I don't have time to answer you with a long letter. Yes, I am coming from 25 years of working with populations in which micronutrient deficiencies are widespread because there are insufficient animal source foods in the diet, and mothers and children suffer major problems as a result. Nobody working in international nutrition would disagree with this - the problem is mainly poor food quality, not quantity - and if the latter is true, the former will be as well.However, I agree the link with our Africa study was not strong and we would much rather have talked about that study except that the reporter's interest was about vegans as they are more newsworthy apparently (but not in my mind for sure!). The reporters brought up the vegans comparison. The point of doing the African study is that I for one am fed up with the "let them take pills to get micronutrients" attitude that for one reason or another (well intentioned of course) has characterized the interventions in these populations for the past 20 years. I have done many of those interventions myself.The news reporter "hyped" my concern about vegan diets for pregnant/lactating mothers and infants/children by cutting the caveats that I was emphatic they keep in, namely that vegan diets were unethical UNLESS those who practiced them were well-informed about how to add back the missing nutrients through supplements or fortified foods (which people in Africa unfortunately dont' have).I completely agree that it is possible to add back those missing nutrients and myself have stated this in a position paper on nutrition in pregnancy for the American Dietetic Association. I also agree that well-managed vegan diets, plus supplements plus fortified foods to get those missing nutrients, are probably healthier for adults and even many children than the average US or UK diet. Lacto-ovo diets need less careful attention.The most alarming part of this experience has been the amazing amount of misinformation that vegans have imparted to me in response to my (definitely misinterpreted and hyped) comments. I hope this issue gets STUDIED responsibly so we can all be reassured.

i would be very interested to know what exactly the " misinformation

that vegans have imparted " to her might be...

classy way for her to get the last word.

i am still awaiting my response from her.

, " anouk sickler " <zurumato@e...>

wrote:

>

> here's the reply I got from Lindsay Allen, from that bbc

article.

> -anouk

>

> -

> Lindsay Allen

> zurumato@e...

> 2/23/2005 9:53:18 PM

> Re: Vegan Parent

>

>

> Dear Person, thank you for your thoughtful? Letter, Here are some

comments that I am trying to make available to everyone in the hope

that they understand better what I was trying to get across to the

reporter, but which the reporter apparently felt would make her

story less newsworthy. Sincerely, Lindsay Allen

>

> Due to a large amount of mail I don't have time to answer you with

a long letter. Yes, I am coming from 25 years of working with

populations in which micronutrient deficiencies are widespread

because there are insufficient animal source foods in the diet, and

mothers and children suffer major problems as a result. Nobody

working in international nutrition would disagree with this - the

problem is mainly poor food quality, not quantity - and if the

latter is true, the former will be as well.

>

> However, I agree the link with our Africa study was not strong and

we would much rather have talked about that study except that the

reporter's interest was about vegans as they are more newsworthy

apparently (but not in my mind for sure!). The reporters brought up

the vegans comparison. The point of doing the African study is that

I for one am fed up with the " let them take pills to get

micronutrients " attitude that for one reason or another (well

intentioned of course) has characterized the interventions in these

populations for the past 20 years. I have done many of those

interventions myself.

>

> The news reporter " hyped " my concern about vegan diets for

pregnant/lactating mothers and infants/children by cutting the

caveats that I was emphatic they keep in, namely that vegan diets

were unethical UNLESS those who practiced them were well-informed

about how to add back the missing nutrients through supplements or

fortified foods (which people in Africa unfortunately dont' have).

>

> I completely agree that it is possible to add back those missing

nutrients and myself have stated this in a position paper on

nutrition in pregnancy for the American Dietetic Association.

>

> I also agree that well-managed vegan diets, plus supplements plus

fortified foods to get those missing nutrients, are probably

healthier for adults and even many children than the average US or

UK diet. Lacto-ovo diets need less careful attention.

>

> The most alarming part of this experience has been the amazing

amount of misinformation that vegans have imparted to me in response

to my (definitely misinterpreted and hyped) comments. I hope this

issue gets STUDIED responsibly so we can all be reassured.

i'm sorta wondering if writing to her is going to make any sort of impact at all..she's already bought and paid for....and old dogs find it harder to change their spots..while its good to show your disagreement and outrage with her..i be wondering if'n it might be also wise to watch for this article on our local news sources, be it the local paper, the morning news entertainment show, et al...and let the editorila page have it..because we have to (imo) let joe public know about the HUGE semitruck size holes in this so-called study

of course..thats just me..and i didn't really sleep last nite so not sure if my brain is really functioning

cheers

fraggle teresacguerrero Feb 24, 2005 7:36 AM FW: Re: Angry Vegan Parent i would be very interested to know what exactly the "misinformation that vegans have imparted" to her might be... classy way for her to get the last word.i am still awaiting my response from her. , "anouk sickler" <zurumato@e...> wrote:> > here's the reply I got from Lindsay Allen, from that bbc article. > -anouk

Kick over the wall 'cause government's to fall

How can you refuse it?

Let fury have the hour, anger can be power

D'you know that you can use it?

Thanks for the email link anouk. I've sent her my thoughts on the

matter.

, " anouk sickler " <zurumato@e...>

wrote:

>

> here's the reply I got from Lindsay Allen, from that bbc

article.

> -anouk

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

>i'm sorta wondering if writing to her is going to make any sort of

impact at all..she's already bought and paid for....and old dogs find

it harder to change their spots..while its good to show your

disagreement and outrage with her..i be wondering if'n it might be

also wise to watch for this article on our local news sources, be it

the local paper, the morning news entertainment show, et al...and let

the editorila page have it..because we have to (imo) let joe public

know about the HUGE semitruck size holes in this so-called study

of course..thats just me..and i didn't really sleep last nite so not

sure if my brain is really functioning

cheers

fraggle

In the reply to Anuok, Linday Allen suggested that her comments had

ben misinterpreted by the press (complete rubbish!), so my email to

her made the suggestion that she should put right the harm she had

caused to vegan parents by getting in touch with the press and

addressing this. She's not going to do this of course, but it's nice

to vent your spleen directly at her. I think its good to let her know

the strenghth of feeling about the flawed and biased study that she

has put her name to. Her in box must be overflowing :)

I've already emailed radio stations, papers etc and many others are

doing the same.

Looking on the positive side of this negative study, it has been an

opportunity for vegans to get our message across in the media. We

don't often get the chance, so we've got to the make the most of it.

I am slightly worriewd by her reply, especially the last two paragraphs ( I also agree that well-managed vegan diets, plus supplements plus fortified foods to get those missing nutrients, are probably healthier for adults and even many children than the average US or UK diet. ) - Surely if well managed, then suppliments would not neccesarily be appropriate?

and ( The most alarming part of this experience has been the amazing amount of misinformation that vegans have imparted to me in response) It is a shame she was not more specific.

The Valley Vegan........

anouk sickler <zurumato wrote:

here's the reply I got from Lindsay Allen, from that bbc article.

-anouk

-

Lindsay Allen

zurumato

2/23/2005 9:53:18 PM

Re: Vegan Parent

Dear Person, thank you for your thoughtful? Letter, Here are some comments that I am trying to make available to everyone in the hope that they understand better what I was trying to get across to the reporter, but which the reporter apparently felt would make her story less newsworthy. Sincerely, Lindsay AllenDue to a large amount of mail I don't have time to answer you with a long letter. Yes, I am coming from 25 years of working with populations in which micronutrient deficiencies are widespread because there are insufficient animal source foods in the diet, and mothers and children suffer major problems as a result. Nobody working in international nutrition would disagree with this - the problem is mainly poor food quality, not quantity - and if the latter is true, the former will be as well.However, I agree the link with our Africa study was not strong and we would much rather have talked about that study except that the reporter's

interest was about vegans as they are more newsworthy apparently (but not in my mind for sure!). The reporters brought up the vegans comparison. The point of doing the African study is that I for one am fed up with the "let them take pills to get micronutrients" attitude that for one reason or another (well intentioned of course) has characterized the interventions in these populations for the past 20 years. I have done many of those interventions myself.The news reporter "hyped" my concern about vegan diets for pregnant/lactating mothers and infants/children by cutting the caveats that I was emphatic they keep in, namely that vegan diets were unethical UNLESS those who practiced them were well-informed about how to add back the missing nutrients through supplements or fortified foods (which people in Africa unfortunately dont' have).I completely agree that it is possible to add back those missing nutrients and myself have stated this in a position paper on nutrition

in pregnancy for the American Dietetic Association. I also agree that well-managed vegan diets, plus supplements plus fortified foods to get those missing nutrients, are probably healthier for adults and even many children than the average US or UK diet. Lacto-ovo diets need less careful attention.The most alarming part of this experience has been the amazing amount of misinformation that vegans have imparted to me in response to my (definitely misinterpreted and hyped) comments. I hope this issue gets STUDIED responsibly so we can all be reassured.To send an email to - Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.