IndiaDivine.org

Shaker Maker/ Getting enough Calcium?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sorry to go on about this latest obsession of mine, but there definately is a residue left in my soya milk cartons when I have emptied them, despite a week of shaking the bejesus out of them. So going back to the original thread, there may be something in the research that said that the calcium contained in soya milk does not desolve readily, and deposits settle, and are mostly left on the inside of the carton? for the record I buy Alpros soya milk from the chiller section..................Any one else as retentive as me to check this out?........come on get shaking and rip open those cartons. We may not be getting the calcium we think we are?!!!

The Valley Vegan...........Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

There is a little residue on the bottom of the carton, but not much. If you shake it everytime you use it you can count on getting a supply of calcium etc.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 5:15 PM

Re: Shaker Maker/ Getting enough Calcium?

Sorry to go on about this latest obsession of mine, but there definately is a residue left in my soya milk cartons when I have emptied them, despite a week of shaking the bejesus out of them. So going back to the original thread, there may be something in the research that said that the calcium contained in soya milk does not desolve readily, and deposits settle, and are mostly left on the inside of the carton? for the record I buy Alpros soya milk from the chiller section..................Any one else as retentive as me to check this out?........come on get shaking and rip open those cartons. We may not be getting the calcium we think we are?!!!

The Valley Vegan...........

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. To send an email to -

Guest guest

Peter;

Well I also take a calcium supplement (yes, I know that's a sore

subject with some), so I'm not too worried. But I have also noticed

that no matter how much I shake, there is still " stuff " down in

there at the end.

Sara

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> Sorry to go on about this latest obsession of mine, but there

definately is a residue left in my soya milk cartons when I have

emptied them, despite a week of shaking the bejesus out of them. So

going back to the original thread, there may be something in the

research that said that the calcium contained in soya milk does not

desolve readily, and deposits settle, and are mostly left on the

inside of the carton? for the record I buy Alpros soya milk from the

chiller section..................Any one else as retentive as me to

check this out?........come on get shaking and rip open those

cartons. We may not be getting the calcium we think we are?!!!

>

> The Valley Vegan...........

>

>

> Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Sorry to go on about this latest obsession of mine, but there definately is a residue left in my soya milk cartons when I have

> emptied them, despite a week of shaking the bejesus out of them. So going back to the original thread, there may be

> something in the research that said that the calcium contained in soya milk does not desolve readily, and deposits settle, and

> are mostly left on the inside of the carton? for the record I buy Alpros soya milk from the chiller section..................Any one

> else as retentive as me to check this out?........come on get shaking and rip open those cartons. We may not be getting the

> calcium we think we are?!!!

Wow - that certainly is some obsession you've developed... just keep at it for a couple of months, and you might have a full blown OCD :-)

Still, interesting info, but I reckon that as long as you eat plenty of nuts, etc, etc. the calcium in soya milk (or lack of) shouldn't make a great deal of difference. It's a long time since I looked at nutritional values of things, but I seem to remember that calcium wasn't generally lacking in a well balanced vegan diet.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I drink the regular flavor Silk soymilk and shake it well every time. There doesn't seem to be much of anything left at the bottom when I finish the carton.sara <gagrip5 wrote:

Peter;Well I also take a calcium supplement (yes, I know that's a sore subject with some), so I'm not too worried. But I have also noticed that no matter how much I shake, there is still "stuff" down in there at the end.Sara , peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:> Sorry to go on about this latest obsession of mine, but there definately is a residue left in my soya milk cartons when I have emptied them, despite a week of shaking the bejesus out of them. So going back to the original thread, there may be something in the research that said that the calcium contained in soya milk does not desolve readily, and deposits settle, and are mostly left on the inside of the carton? for the record I buy Alpros soya milk from the chiller section..................Any one else as retentive as me

to check this out?........come on get shaking and rip open those cartons. We may not be getting the calcium we think we are?!!!> > The Valley Vegan...........> > > Peter HTo send an email to -

Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced search. Learn more.

Guest guest

it might be a difference between UK soy milk and US Susan Spain Mar 1, 2005 2:03 PM Re: Re: Shaker Maker/ Getting enough Calcium?

I drink the regular flavor Silk soymilk and shake it well every time. There doesn't seem to be much of anything left at the bottom when I finish the carton.

Kick over the wall 'cause government's to fall

How can you refuse it?

Let fury have the hour, anger can be power

D'you know that you can use it?

Guest guest

It's a long time since I looked at nutritional values of things, but I seem to remember that calcium wasn't generally lacking in a well balanced vegan diet.

There's plently of calcium in a balanced vegan diet,- e.g tofu is one of the highest sources of calcium,- about 10 times as much as cows milk,

JoTo send an email to -

Guest guest

sesame seeds or tahini

well try 100 times more usable calcium

and yum taste so much better too

=o]]

Craig

Joanne [Kimberley1]Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:43 PM Subject: Re: Shaker Maker/ Getting enough Calcium?

It's a long time since I looked at nutritional values of things, but I seem to remember that calcium wasn't generally lacking in a well balanced vegan diet.

There's plently of calcium in a balanced vegan diet,- e.g tofu is one of the highest sources of calcium,- about 10 times as much as cows milk,

JoTo send an email to - To send an email to -

Guest guest

Does that mean that I can stop shaking now?, I kinda quite like it.........OCD indeed. One to store with my fabulous collection of neurosise.

Must go got to wipe the keyboard, wash my hands, wipe the keyboard , wash my hands, etc, etc......

Heres a wierd thing, has anyone ever shaken soya milk then put it in a cup in a microwave? ( I do it to make hot chocolate ) .........the air in the frothy milk expands, and boy does it expand!

The Valley Vegan...........Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

> Sorry to go on about this latest obsession of mine, but there definately is a residue left in my soya milk cartons when I have

> emptied them, despite a week of shaking the bejesus out of them. So going back to the original thread, there may be

> something in the research that said that the calcium contained in soya milk does not desolve readily, and deposits settle, and

> are mostly left on the inside of the carton? for the record I buy Alpros soya milk from the chiller section..................Any one

> else as retentive as me to check this out?........come on get shaking and rip open those cartons. We may not be getting the

Wow - that certainly is some obsession you've developed... just keep at it for a couple of months, and you might have a full blown OCD :-)

Still, interesting info, but I reckon that as long as you eat plenty of nuts, etc, etc. the calcium in soya milk (or lack of) shouldn't make a great deal of difference. It's a long time since I looked at nutritional values of things, but I seem to remember that calcium wasn't generally lacking in a well balanced vegan diet.

BB

PeterTo send an email to - Peter H

Guest guest

Sara,

Thanks for looking down there!

The Valley Vegan.......sara <gagrip5 wrote:

Peter;Well I also take a calcium supplement (yes, I know that's a sore subject with some), so I'm not too worried. But I have also noticed that no matter how much I shake, there is still "stuff" down in there at the end.Sara , peter hurd wrote:> Sorry to go on about this latest obsession of mine, but there definately is a residue left in my soya milk cartons when I have emptied them, despite a week of shaking the bejesus out of them. So going back to the original thread, there may be something in the research that said that the calcium contained in soya milk does not desolve readily, and deposits settle, and are mostly left on the inside of the carton? for the record I buy Alpros soya milk from the chiller section..................Any one else as retentive as me to

check this out?........come on get shaking and rip open those cartons. We may not be getting the calcium we think we are?!!!> > The Valley Vegan...........> > > Peter H

Guest guest

Jo,

Thanks for joining the legion of Shakers! all with frothy soya milk!

The Valley Vegan.........Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

There is a little residue on the bottom of the carton, but not much. If you shake it everytime you use it you can count on getting a supply of calcium etc.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 5:15 PM

Re: Shaker Maker/ Getting enough Calcium?

The Valley Vegan...........

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. To send an email to - To send an email to - Peter H

Guest guest

Don't forget to wipe the doorknobs!

Jo

Does that mean that I can stop shaking now?, I kinda quite like it.........OCD indeed. One to store with my fabulous collection of neurosise.

Must go got to wipe the keyboard, wash my hands, wipe the keyboard , wash my hands, etc, etc......

Heres a wierd thing, has anyone ever shaken soya milk then put it in a cup in a microwave? ( I do it to make hot chocolate ) .........the air in the frothy milk expands, and boy does it expand!

The Valley Vegan...........Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Heres a wierd thing, has anyone ever shaken soya milk then put it in a cup in a microwave? ( I do it to make hot

> chocolate ) .........the air in the frothy milk expands, and boy does it expand!

Nope - but if you like "froth", just try putting one of those fizzy orange vitamin C tablets into a glass of orangeade (actually, for safety, I'd recommend no more that half an inch of orangeade in a glass!)

BB

Peter