holy cow

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

PRINTER-FRIENDLY FORMATSPONSORED BY

print this page

Cow Urine Medicines Touted As a Cure All

March 02, 2005 10:16 PM EST

NEW DELHI - From constipation to cancer, diarrhea to diabetes, they offer to cure nearly everything - with medicines made from cow urine. India's Hindu nationalists, who were ousted from power last May, have a new job: promoting cow products that many Indians believe have great therapeutic value.

A stall at the headquarters of the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party showcases more than two dozen tonics, potions, pills and a line of cosmetics. The products are sold under the brand name Goratna, or "jewels of the cow."

"It's very good, very effective. You must try some of these," said S.P. Sharma, a BJP official, as he offered to buy a pack of face cream he said helped his daughter get rid of pimples.

"My daughter tried all kinds of things. Nothing worked," Sharma said. "But this one is working wonders for her. Last week, I bought one pack and today I am buying one more."

The Goratna offerings use five key cow products - butter, milk, curd, urine and dung. Purushottam Toshniwal, the general secretary of the cooperative that manufactures the cosmetics, said workers there followed a "solid scientific process" based on India's ancient herbal remedies, known as ayurveda.

Ayurveda has seen a big boom in India in recent years, with everything from shampoos to spa treatments advertised as ayurvedic. Indians "are realizing modern medicines are no good. Moreover, they make a big hole in your pocket," Toshniwal said.

Although many Indian scientists and doctors believe in the efficacy of some ayurvedic medicines, few agree there is proof that cow urine enhances their impact.

Cows are sacred to India's more than 800 million Hindus, and Hindu nationalist parties have often used cows as a symbol to further their political goals.

The most expensive item on the stall is sanjivani ark, a transparent urine-based potion sold as a cancer treatment. It costs $1.80 for a month's dose, and comes packed in plastic bottles with no expiration date.

"There is no expiry date for ayurvedic medicines. Because there is no chemical in it," said Manoj Kumar, who manages the stall.

Kumar said the response has been very good since the stall opened last week. The best seller has been kamdhenu ghanvati - a multipurpose pill that Kumar says cures liver diseases, diabetes, hemorrhoids and asthma.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

© 2005 EarthLink, Inc. . Please read our Disclaimer.Submit your Feedback Customer SupportEarthLink Privacy Policy

Guest guest

Are tehy taking the ......

Jo

-

anouk sickler

; Vegan_Animal_Rights

Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:25 AM

holy cow

PRINTER-FRIENDLY FORMATSPONSORED BY

print this page

Cow Urine Medicines Touted As a Cure All

March 02, 2005 10:16 PM EST

NEW DELHI - From constipation to cancer, diarrhea to diabetes, they offer to cure nearly everything - with medicines made from cow urine. India's Hindu nationalists, who were ousted from power last May, have a new job: promoting cow products that many Indians believe have great therapeutic value.

A stall at the headquarters of the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party showcases more than two dozen tonics, potions, pills and a line of cosmetics. The products are sold under the brand name Goratna, or "jewels of the cow."

"It's very good, very effective. You must try some of these," said S.P. Sharma, a BJP official, as he offered to buy a pack of face cream he said helped his daughter get rid of pimples.

"My daughter tried all kinds of things. Nothing worked," Sharma said. "But this one is working wonders for her. Last week, I bought one pack and today I am buying one more."

The Goratna offerings use five key cow products - butter, milk, curd, urine and dung. Purushottam Toshniwal, the general secretary of the cooperative that manufactures the cosmetics, said workers there followed a "solid scientific process" based on India's ancient herbal remedies, known as ayurveda.

Ayurveda has seen a big boom in India in recent years, with everything from shampoos to spa treatments advertised as ayurvedic. Indians "are realizing modern medicines are no good. Moreover, they make a big hole in your pocket," Toshniwal said.

Although many Indian scientists and doctors believe in the efficacy of some ayurvedic medicines, few agree there is proof that cow urine enhances their impact.

Cows are sacred to India's more than 800 million Hindus, and Hindu nationalist parties have often used cows as a symbol to further their political goals.

The most expensive item on the stall is sanjivani ark, a transparent urine-based potion sold as a cancer treatment. It costs $1.80 for a month's dose, and comes packed in plastic bottles with no expiration date.

"There is no expiry date for ayurvedic medicines. Because there is no chemical in it," said Manoj Kumar, who manages the stall.

Kumar said the response has been very good since the stall opened last week. The best seller has been kamdhenu ghanvati - a multipurpose pill that Kumar says cures liver diseases, diabetes, hemorrhoids and asthma.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

© 2005 EarthLink, Inc. . Please read our Disclaimer.Submit your Feedback Customer SupportEarthLink Privacy Policy To send an email to -

Guest guest

, " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> Are tehy taking the ......

>

> Jo

If I recall correct, India had a late former Prime Minister who use to

drink his own Urine first thing in the morning and suggested that

everyone do the same. His name was Morarji Desai. Not everyone does or

believes in all these things.

India is a big Country with a diverse culture and some things can

appear really odd.

Vijay

Guest guest

A few years ago there was a discussion about drinking urine. Some people

claim it can be good for you. I don't see how personally, as it is waste

material - if the body feels it necessary to excrete it why put it back in -

but each to their own. I know it is an ingredient in many leading face

creams!

Jo

> If I recall correct, India had a late former Prime Minister who use to

> drink his own Urine first thing in the morning and suggested that

> everyone do the same. His name was Morarji Desai. Not everyone does or

> believes in all these things.

>

> India is a big Country with a diverse culture and some things can

> appear really odd.

Guest guest

, " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

I know it is an ingredient in many leading face

> creams!

>

> Jo

This is scary. People have diseases, allergies and take medication.

Who knows what all these can do to a persons face.

Vijay

Guest guest

Drinking your own or someone elses?

The Valley Vegan............Not even slightly thirsty anymore!Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

A few years ago there was a discussion about drinking urine. Some peopleclaim it can be good for you. I don't see how personally, as it is wastematerial - if the body feels it necessary to excrete it why put it back in -but each to their own. I know it is an ingredient in many leading facecreams!Jo> If I recall correct, India had a late former Prime Minister who use to> drink his own Urine first thing in the morning and suggested that> everyone do the same. His name was Morarji Desai. Not everyone does or> believes in all these things.>> India is a big Country with a diverse culture and some things can> appear really odd.