IndiaDivine.org

Attitudes towards animals

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I had a call from a mate of mine last night to say that while he was walking up the local mountain he found 4 white rabbits in the middle of nowhere, and did I want to give one or more a home ( as I have kids).

He was with a friend walking his dog at the time, and his friend normally hunts for rabbits which he takes home and feeds his dog with them.

When his dog caught one and pinned it to the ground, instead of killing it, he just held it down ( probably because it was confused by its colour?)

My mates friend was convinced by my mate not to kill them, but to try and find a home for them , thinking that they would not last long being of a domestic breed, and having no camuflage. When my mates friend rang his mother and sister to see if they could find a home, and they couldnt, he said he would kill them as usual and take them home to feed his dog. They made him promise not to kill them?!!? This baffled me as he usually took rabbits home, and just because these were a different colour to the wild ones they became all sympathetic to the animals. Can anyone explain this to me. I cannot get my head around that one.

The Valley Vegan........Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

I can't explain it Peter (VV). It's that same as the fact that they love thier dog or cat but eat the cow and pig. I suppose it is the societal norm - look after pets, kill other animals. Maybe people just don't do much thinking.

One night we drove home from Wales and most of the way there were rabbits everywhere. We had to drive so slowly as they were on the roads as well. It was good to see so many.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Saturday, March 12, 2005 3:05 PM

Re: Re: Attitudes towards animals

I had a call from a mate of mine last night to say that while he was walking up the local mountain he found 4 white rabbits in the middle of nowhere, and did I want to give one or more a home ( as I have kids).

He was with a friend walking his dog at the time, and his friend normally hunts for rabbits which he takes home and feeds his dog with them.

When his dog caught one and pinned it to the ground, instead of killing it, he just held it down ( probably because it was confused by its colour?)

My mates friend was convinced by my mate not to kill them, but to try and find a home for them , thinking that they would not last long being of a domestic breed, and having no camuflage. When my mates friend rang his mother and sister to see if they could find a home, and they couldnt, he said he would kill them as usual and take them home to feed his dog. They made him promise not to kill them?!!? This baffled me as he usually took rabbits home, and just because these were a different colour to the wild ones they became all sympathetic to the animals. Can anyone explain this to me. I cannot get my head around that one.

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. To send an email to -

Guest guest

becuase we've seperated animals into us and them...

pets are domesticated, they are our companions, our toys, things we helped create, which satisfy some need of ours..

note the word *our*

wild critters are just that...beyond our control, we didn't put them there, we didn't breed them, create them, make them docile

they are beyond us, they don't need us...

most ppl(in the west anyways) would be aghast at eating the family dog, but don't think anything of eating meat...how many ppl are there who are terrified of wolves, and think they should be exterminated, yet have a german shepard?

a related story which i've told here before...

was at a local herpetological establishment(reptiles) and they had these little fuzzy chicks..

and they proceeded to dump one in this boas tank

so this little yellow fuzz ball is going "peep peep peep.." and there's awoman with two small children, and she just starts balling and tears are running down her face, and she starts going saying "how can they do that..how?!!"

after a moment, and i wasn't in a very generous mood that day..i turned and said something along the lines of "and i'm sure you've never eaten chicken"..

and..in between bouts of tears, she doesn't even really pause, and just goes "yeah, we are having it tonite"

and continues to cry

disconnect....

peter hurd Mar 12, 2005 7:05 AM Re: Re: Attitudes towards animals

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. To send an email to -

Guest guest

It's no secret that I'm a big Law and Order fan. A recent episode involved a reference to hunting deer with automatic rifles. Det. Joe Fontana mentioned that in his youth he did something similar. Lt. Van Buren asked him what kind of weapons the deer were packing. Det. Fontana replies "the same ones the cows are." :)

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

3/12/2005 10:06:47 AM

becuase we've seperated animals into us and them...

pets are domesticated, they are our companions, our toys, things we helped create, which satisfy some need of ours..

note the word *our*

wild critters are just that...beyond our control, we didn't put them there, we didn't breed them, create them, make them docile

they are beyond us, they don't need us...

most ppl(in the west anyways) would be aghast at eating the family dog, but don't think anything of eating meat...how many ppl are there who are terrified of wolves, and think they should be exterminated, yet have a german shepard?

a related story which i've told here before...

was at a local herpetological establishment(reptiles) and they had these little fuzzy chicks..

and they proceeded to dump one in this boas tank

so this little yellow fuzz ball is going "peep peep peep.." and there's awoman with two small children, and she just starts balling and tears are running down her face, and she starts going saying "how can they do that..how?!!"

after a moment, and i wasn't in a very generous mood that day..i turned and said something along the lines of "and i'm sure you've never eaten chicken"..

and..in between bouts of tears, she doesn't even really pause, and just goes "yeah, we are having it tonite"

and continues to cry

disconnect....

peter hurd Mar 12, 2005 7:05 AM Re: Re: Attitudes towards animals

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Guest guest

I once held up traffic in a lane to help a convoy of frogs across the road, my wife was a bit embarassed to say the least. Other people had been just driving straight through them , it was horrible...

The Valley Vegan......Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

I can't explain it Peter (VV). It's that same as the fact that they love thier dog or cat but eat the cow and pig. I suppose it is the societal norm - look after pets, kill other animals. Maybe people just don't do much thinking.

One night we drove home from Wales and most of the way there were rabbits everywhere. We had to drive so slowly as they were on the roads as well. It was good to see so many.

Jo

-

peter hurd

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. To send an email to - To send an email to - Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

I can imagine! There are certain times of the year when our roads are covered in fromgs and toads, particularly if it is raining hard. I like having frogs and toads in our garden. We had one living in the grow bad where the tomatoes were growing and one in the grass box of the lawnmower in the porch!

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 5:25 PM

I once held up traffic in a lane to help a convoy of frogs across the road, my wife was a bit embarassed to say the least. Other people had been just driving straight through them , it was horrible...

The Valley Vegan......Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

peter hurd

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. To send an email to - To send an email to -

Peter H