IndiaDivine.org

heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I hope they ask the trees before they hug them!

I don't like the idea of mud baths - bit yuk! and I always think of all

those unsavoury germs lurking in the murky depths.

Jo

Survey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotype

It is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped as

bleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The " unfairly " part,

that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californians

really have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent think

mud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professor

Dennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from five

California cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and San

Diego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former state

historian, isn't surprised by the findings: " I see tree-hugging as an aspect

of California's greenness. " It's also part of the state's history, he adds,

what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and the

birth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. " Moved by the state's

natural diversity and grandeur, " Starr says, " Californians have largely been

protective of their state's environment. "

Guest guest

I love beautiful majestic, life giving, trees. why is should that be so radical?

-

fraggle

;lettuceheads ;TFHB

Cc: plumloco1952; jeninemarie

4/7/2005 11:50:02 AM

Survey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped as bleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part, that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californians really have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent think mud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professor Dennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from five California cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and San Diego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former state historian, isn't surprised by the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspect of California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds, what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and the birth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the state's natural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely been protective of their state's environment." The Christian Science Monitor, Judith Harkham Semas, 06 Apr 200540 years in the local storeGot forced out by the supermarketThe price of all your favorite mealsStays low but now you can’t afford itSend in the supermarket forcesStick it on a card to save you cashThey know your details in a flashStreamlined sets the mental toneNow everyone’s a shopping cloneTo send an email to -

Guest guest

sorry..i don't speak oak Jo Cwazy Apr 7, 2005 10:48 AM Re: heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip I hope they ask the trees before they hug them!I don't like the idea of mud baths - bit yuk! and I always think of allthose unsavoury germs lurking in the murky depths.JoSurvey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped asbleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part,that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californiansreally have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent thinkmud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professorDennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from fiveCalifornia cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and SanDiego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former statehistorian, isn't surprised by the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspectof California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds,what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and thebirth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the state'snatural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely beenprotective of their state's environment."To send an email to -

Guest guest

To those who do it - it is normal and natural - to those who don't I suppose it is radical.

Jo

-

anouk sickler

Thursday, April 07, 2005 6:51 PM

RE: heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip

I love beautiful majestic, life giving, trees. why is should that be so radical?

-

fraggle

;lettuceheads ;TFHB Cc: plumloco1952; jeninemarie

4/7/2005 11:50:02 AM

Survey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped as bleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part, that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californians really have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent think mud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professor Dennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from five California cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and San Diego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former state historian, isn't surprised by the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspect of California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds, what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and the birth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the stat e's natural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely been protective of their state's environment." The Christian Science Monitor, Judith Harkham Semas, 06 Apr 200540 years in the local storeGot forced out by the supermarketThe price of all your favorite mealsStays low but now you can’t afford itSend in the supermarket forcesStick it on a card to save you cashThey know your details in a flashStreamlined sets the mental toneNow everyone’s a shopping cloneTo send an email to - To send an email to -

Guest guest

Telepathy/intuition.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:06 PM

Re: heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip

sorry..i don't speak oak Jo Cwazy Apr 7, 2005 10:48 AM Re: heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip I hope they ask the trees before they hug them!I don't like the idea of mud baths - bit yuk! and I always think of allthose unsavoury germs lurking in the murky depths.JoSurvey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped asbleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part,that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californiansreally have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent thinkmud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professorDennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from fiveCali fornia cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and SanDiego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former statehistorian, isn't surprised by the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspectof California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds,what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and thebirth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the state'snatural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely beenprotective of their state's environment."To send an email to -

Guest guest

Bunny hugger, you see, is my affectional term for vegans and animal

rights activists

-- In , " kittinose " <pawsup@m...> wrote:

>

> while I have hugged trees, I prefer to think of myself as a, what I

> like to call, bunny hugger, thank you very much!

Guest guest

> while I have hugged trees, I prefer to think of myself as a, what I

> like to call, bunny hugger, thank you very much!

....well .. they are very soft and cuddly :-)

> Bunny hugger, you see, is my affectional term for vegans and animal

> rights activists

Ah well - not many of them are soft and cuddly !

Jo

Guest guest

Not vegan huggin', bunny huggin. You know, as in critter lovin', bunny

huggin' animal rights activist! As in people who love animals (as

opposed to, or in addition to, trees). Though I'd be happy to hug the

vegan folk too, cuddly or not!

kittinose

, " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > while I have hugged trees, I prefer to think of myself as a, what I

> > like to call, bunny hugger, thank you very much!

>

> ...well .. they are very soft and cuddly :-)

>

> > Bunny hugger, you see, is my affectional term for vegans and animal

> > rights activists

>

> Ah well - not many of them are soft and cuddly !

>

> Jo

Guest guest

now you want me to mind meld with a tree as well? Jo Cwazy Apr 7, 2005 11:51 AM Re: heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip

Telepathy/intuition.

Jo

-

fraggle

sorry..i don't speak oak Jo Cwazy Apr 7, 2005 10:48 AM Re: heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip I hope they ask the trees before they hug them!I don't like the idea of mud baths - bit yuk! and I always think of allthose unsavoury germs lurking in the murky depths.JoSurvey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped asbleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part,that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californiansreally have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent thinkmud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professorDennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from fiveCali fornia cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and SanDiego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former statehistorian, isn't surprised by the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspectof California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds,what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and thebirth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the state'snatural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely beenprotective of their state's environment."To send an email to -

Guest guest

oh yes!

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:18 PM

now you want me to mind meld with a tree as well? Jo Cwazy Apr 7, 2005 11:51 AM Re: heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip

Telepathy/intuition.

Jo

-

fraggle

sorry..i don't speak oak Jo Cwazy Apr 7, 2005 10:48 AM Re: heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip I hope they ask the trees before they hug them!I don't like the idea of mud baths - bit yuk! and I always think of allthose unsavoury germs lurking in the murky depths.JoSurvey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped asbleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part,that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californiansreally have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent thinkmud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professorDennis Tootelian of Cal Stat e, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from fiveCali fornia cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and SanDiego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former statehistorian, isn't surprised by the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspectof California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds,what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and thebirth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the state'snatural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely beenprotective of their state's environment."To send an email to -

Guest guest

oh, ok well then a big 'ole bunny hug for Jo!

, " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> LOL! I was only kidding :-)

>

> Jo

>

>

> >

> > Not vegan huggin', bunny huggin. You know, as in critter lovin',

bunny

> > huggin' animal rights activist! As in people who love animals (as

> > opposed to, or in addition to, trees). Though I'd be happy to hug

the

> > vegan folk too, cuddly or not!

> >

> > kittinose

Guest guest

If you go to Sonoma for the mud baths (commonly known as the Pink Palace), the water they use is from hot springs. The mud has to be cooled before it can be used. In its original state it would cook the meat right off your bones. I don't think too many "bugs" survive. In fact, out in Wine Country they have to have special holding tanks to cool off the water before they can irrigate their fields!

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:48 AM

I hope they ask the trees before they hug them!I don't like the idea of mud baths - bit yuk! and I always think of allthose unsavoury germs lurking in the murky depths.JoSurvey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped asbleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part,that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californiansreally have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent thinkmud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professorDennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from fiveCalifornia cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and SanDiego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former statehistorian, isn't surprised by the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspectof California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds,what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and thebirth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the state'snatural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely beenprotective of their state's environment."To send an email to -

Guest guest

waiiiittt..

the only time i've seen bunny's hug is when they were doing..umm..something..that leads to baby bunnies...

run jo, run! kittinose Apr 7, 2005 2:48 PM Re: heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip oh, ok well then a big 'ole bunny hug for Jo! , "Jo Cwazy" <heartwork@c...> wrote:> LOL! I was only kidding :-)> > Jo> > > > > > Not vegan huggin', bunny huggin. You know, as in critter lovin', bunny > > huggin' animal rights activist! As in people who love animals (as > > opposed to, or in addition to, trees). Though I'd be happy to hug the > > vegan folk too, cuddly or not!> > > > kittinoseTo send an email to -

Guest guest

> the only time i've seen bunny's hug is when they were doing..umm..something..that leads to baby bunnies...

I'm sure there should be some joke here about multiplying like.....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

That's interesting. Do they just use the mud once?

Jo

-

Lynda

Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:57 PM

If you go to Sonoma for the mud baths (commonly known as the Pink Palace), the water they use is from hot springs. The mud has to be cooled before it can be used. In its original state it would cook the meat right off your bones. I don't think too many "bugs" survive. In fact, out in Wine Country they have to have special holding tanks to cool off the water before they can irrigate their fields!

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

I hope they ask the trees before they hug them!I don't like the idea of mud baths - bit yuk! and I always think of allthose unsavoury germs lurking in the murky depths.JoSurvey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped asbleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part,that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californiansreally have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent thinkmud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professorDennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from fiveCalifornia cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and SanDiego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former statehistorian, isn't surprised by the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspectof California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds,what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and thebirth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the state'snatural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely beenprotective of their state's environment."To send an email to - To send an email to -

Guest guest

DH did landscaping for the Pink Palace and he said the mud dries out and they run in more of the hot springs water. The routine was to fill each stone tub each morning with "new" mud. The "old" mud is sun dried and then rehydrated. Or at least that was the routine when he worked there. You can only use it so many times and then the minerals that are the important ingredients either leach out or loose their effectiveness.

DH had to set up the cooling tanks for irrigation at several sites in Sonoma. One school lost a whole football field because they drilled a new well for irrigation and the guy who did the work didn't know about the hot springs. The district had a timer and the irrigation went on and the hot water killed all the grass.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Friday, April 08, 2005 9:56 AM

That's interesting. Do they just use the mud once?

Jo

-

Lynda

Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:57 PM

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

I hope they ask the trees before they hug them!I don't like the idea of mud baths - bit yuk! and I always think of allthose unsavoury germs lurking in the murky depths.JoSurvey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped asbleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part,that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californiansreally have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent thinkmud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professorDennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from fiveCalifornia cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and SanDiego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former statehistorian, isn't surprised by the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspectof California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds,what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and thebirth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the state'snatural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely beenprotective of their state's environment."To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to -

Guest guest

totally rad?

Fraggle, please translate into English.( or even Welsh?)

The Valley Vegan......Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

I hope they ask the trees before they hug them!I don't like the idea of mud baths - bit yuk! and I always think of allthose unsavoury germs lurking in the murky depths.JoSurvey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped asbleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part,that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californiansreally have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent thinkmud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professorDennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from fiveCalifornia cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and SanDiego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former statehistorian, isn't surprised by

the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspectof California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds,what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and thebirth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the state'snatural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely beenprotective of their state's environment."

Guest guest

I`m more of a Honey Bugger, loosing it now...........gone!

The Valley Vegan.......Peter <metalscarab wrote:

> the only time i've seen bunny's hug is when they were doing..umm..something..that leads to baby bunnies...

I'm sure there should be some joke here about multiplying like.....

BB

PeterTo send an email to - Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

anhygoel peter hurd Apr 9, 2005 6:42 AM Re: heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip

totally rad?

I hope they ask the trees before they hug them!I don't like the idea of mud baths - bit yuk! and I always think of allthose unsavoury germs lurking in the murky depths.JoSurvey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped asbleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part,that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californiansreally have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent thinkmud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professorDennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from fiveCalifornia cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and SanDiego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former statehistorian, isn't surprised by the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspectof California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds,what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and thebirth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the state'snatural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely beenprotective of their state's environment."

Guest guest

Da iawn i chi.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

anhygoel peter hurd Apr 9, 2005 6:42 AM Re: heck..i hugged a tree on my camping trip

totally rad?

I hope they ask the trees before they hug them!I don't like the idea of mud baths - bit yuk! and I always think of allthose unsavoury germs lurking in the murky depths.JoSurvey reveals truth to tree-hugging Californian stereotypeIt is often said that Californians are unfairly stereotyped asbleeding-heart tree huggers. Turns out it's not true. The "unfairly" part,that is. A new survey reveals that more than 60 percent of Californiansreally have hugged trees, some 24 percent have surfed, and 21 percent thinkmud baths are totally rad. A questionnaire compiled by marketing professorDennis Tootelian of Cal State, Sacramento, asked 500 folks from fiveCalifornia cities -- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, and SanDiego -- about their true nature. Kevin Starr, author and former statehistorian, isn't surprised by

the findings: "I see tree-hugging as an aspectof California's greenness." It's also part of the state's history, he adds,what with the establishment of Yosemite National Park in the 1860s and thebirth of the Sierra Club in Berkeley under John Muir. "Moved by the state'snatural diversity and grandeur," Starr says, "Californians have largely beenprotective of their state's environment."

Guest guest

In California, " rad " IS short for " radical, " but it

actually means " cool " or " awesome. " At least it does

in this context and did mostly during the 80's and

90's, though now it has largely fallen out of use.

It's a shame really, since " radical " (in political

terms) means very liberal. But now " radical " is used

synonymously with " extreme, " which goes both

ways--liberal and conservative. And " rad " is mainly

only used by a few " older " surfers. I hope this helps!

Oz

--- Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

> To those who do it - it is normal and natural - to

> those who don't I suppose it is radical.

>

> Jo

> -

> anouk sickler

>

> Thursday, April 07, 2005 6:51 PM

> RE: heck..i hugged a tree on

> my camping trip

>

>

> I love beautiful majestic, life giving, trees.

> why is should that be so radical?

>

>

> -

> fraggle

> To:

>

;lettuceheads ;TFHB

>

> Cc: plumloco1952;

> jeninemarie

> 4/7/2005 11:50:02 AM