Okay, so. Hypothetical question. Your having a dinner party with a

bunch of omnivores, in your home. One asks if he can bring a meat dish

to share with the group, since the dinner your preparing is vegan. Do

you condone this? Or do you absolutly refuse to allow meat in your

home? Is this irrational?

My gut says NO! People need to realize that flesh is not needed to be

satisfied.

Guest guest

Is this a potluck dinner party? Or are you inviting a bunch of people over and making dinner? Potluck, I say yes it's acceptable to allow them to bring the food into the house. Don't throw a potluck if you don't want people bringing non-vegan items into the home.

However, If this is a case where you were going to do all the cooking and simply entertain people, then I think it's rude to imply indirectly that they won't be happy coming to your home to eat your dinner. If that is the case, stay home.

Talisman

-

jeffdevine8

Sunday, May 01, 2005 9:35 AM

Respecting Meat Eating?

HighOkay, so. Hypothetical question. Your having a dinner party with a bunch of omnivores, in your home. One asks if he can bring a meat dish to share with the group, since the dinner your preparing is vegan. Do you condone this? Or do you absolutly refuse to allow meat in your home? Is this irrational? My gut says NO! People need to realize that flesh is not needed to be satisfied. To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Jeff,

At the end of the day its all down to you. If its on your turf, its your rules. If you have a live and let live philosophy ( bad choice of phrase I know ), then you will let them eat what they want to eat as long as it does not spoil your food.

I live with a meat eater, and have done since we were married 13 years ago, so while not liking the eating habit, I like the person more. I also have various habits ( which we won`t go into ) that she doesn`t like.

Being rational is subjective in this case, its down to the individual, their sensetivity and their belief system.

I`ll bet that if you put on a good spread of vegan food, they will be impressed enough to try something new, and you may win a few over. However, condoning their actions, and imposing your beiliefs on them may have the opposite effect. Its a very fine line......

The Valley Vegan.......jeffdevine8 <jeffdevine8 wrote:

HighOkay, so. Hypothetical question. Your having a dinner party with a bunch of omnivores, in your home. One asks if he can bring a meat dish to share with the group, since the dinner your preparing is vegan. Do you condone this? Or do you absolutly refuse to allow meat in your home? Is this irrational? My gut says NO! People need to realize that flesh is not needed to be satisfied.

Guest guest

Thanks Peter

For the point of view. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I

was able to turn my partner vegan!!! It was just a matter of getting

him to read the same eye-opening material I did. i.e: John

Robbin's " Food Revolution " .

As for allowing meat eating in my home, I cannot see it happening.

Here's my rational. Would I allow a plate of cat meat to be aten in my

presence? NO WAY. I think cat's are friendly wonderful creatures.

AND SO ARE COWS AND PIGS!

Jeff