IndiaDivine.org

Human Shit as Fertilizer.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I recently saw a Canadian documentary about water treatment plants

called " Crapshoot " . After the water is treated and put back into our

water ways, the remaining solids are DONATED to neighbouring farms as

fertilizers. Donated because they don't know what else to do with it.

They don't even test it. We are growing food in anything that anyone

dumps down the drain, not to mention the fecies of meat eaters. Do

other countries do this? Some times the solid waste is processed and

mixed in to livestock feed. Nummy.

The doc went on to explain that water should never have been chosen as

a transporter of our shit.

The solution is COMPOSTING TOILETS!!! No sewage system needed, nor

septic tank. And the end result is sweet smelling humus. HOORAY!!

Some systems use worms and bugs, any vegans opposed to this?

Guest guest

sewage waste is called *biosolids* down here and is often sold under cutesy names like Texas Organics er the ilk...it can contain everything from human excrement to heavy metals(not that kind Jo!)

yum yum jeffdevine8 May 4, 2005 2:23 PM Human Shit as Fertilizer. I recently saw a Canadian documentary about water treatment plants called "Crapshoot". After the water is treated and put back into our water ways, the remaining solids are DONATED to neighbouring farms as fertilizers. Donated because they don't know what else to do with it. They don't even test it. We are growing food in anything that anyone dumps down the drain, not to mention the fecies of meat eaters. Do other countries do this? Some times the solid waste is processed and mixed in to livestock feed. Nummy.The doc went on to explain that water should never have been chosen as a transporter of our shit.The solution is COMPOSTING TOILETS!!! No sewage system needed, nor septic tank. And the end result is sweet smelling humus. HOORAY!! Some systems use worms and bugs, any vegans opposed to this? To send an email to -

Guest guest

The composting toilets are only part of the answer because it isn't only what goes down the John E. that goes to the sewer plants. Here's what was done where we used to live: http://www.arcatacityhall.org/arcata_marsh.html This answer contributed to the restorage of habitat for birds, some of which were either thought extinct or endangered and now are flourishing.

As to the use of humanure, here's a link to some folks that use it on their farm: http://www.thewinonafarm.com/unschooling.htm

Lynda

-

fraggle

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:52 PM

Re: Human Shit as Fertilizer.

sewage waste is called *biosolids* down here and is often sold under cutesy names like Texas Organics er the ilk...it can contain everything from human excrement to heavy metals(not that kind Jo!)

yum yum jeffdevine8 May 4, 2005 2:23 PM Human Shit as Fertilizer. I recently saw a Canadian documentary about water treatment plants called "Crapshoot". After the water is treated and put back into our water ways, the remaining solids are DONATED to neighbouring farms as fertilizers. Donated because they don't know what else to do with it. They don't even test it. We are growing food in anything that anyone dumps down the drain, not to mention the fecies of meat eaters. Do other countries do this? Some times the solid waste is processed and mixed in to livestock feed. Nummy.The doc went on to explain that water should never have been chosen as a transporter of our shit.The solution is COMPOSTING TOILETS !!! No sewage system needed, nor septic tank. And the end result is sweet smelling humus. HOORAY!! Some systems use worms and bugs, any vegans opposed to this? To send an email to -

Guest guest

Every year the farm behind our house uses human sewage on their fields - my

god, it smells terrible.

Jo

> I recently saw a Canadian documentary about water treatment plants

> called " Crapshoot " . After the water is treated and put back into our

> water ways, the remaining solids are DONATED to neighbouring farms as

> fertilizers. Donated because they don't know what else to do with it.

> They don't even test it. We are growing food in anything that anyone

> dumps down the drain, not to mention the fecies of meat eaters. Do

> other countries do this? Some times the solid waste is processed and

> mixed in to livestock feed. Nummy.

>

> The doc went on to explain that water should never have been chosen as

> a transporter of our shit.

>

> The solution is COMPOSTING TOILETS!!! No sewage system needed, nor

> septic tank. And the end result is sweet smelling humus. HOORAY!!

> Some systems use worms and bugs, any vegans opposed to this?

>

>

>

To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

There are plans to use reclaimed human faeces from sewerage works as compost in the U.K., in fact one major trial has been underway for quite some time. The end product is fertile, and has no noticable odour to other composts (aledgedly). And after all why not? sounds good recycling to me. I would certainly use it, unfortunately I cant process my own crap, and my compost heap is such a slow thing......and my cat litter, well talk about smell!

The worst thing that I have smelt spread on fields is chicken manure, god in heaven that stinks. They used it for years around here on the old coal tips to try and grow grass and trees on the slag. Pooheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

The Valley Vegan,

How green is my valley.Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Every year the farm behind our house uses human sewage on their fields - mygod, it smells terrible.Jo> I recently saw a Canadian documentary about water treatment plants> called "Crapshoot". After the water is treated and put back into our> water ways, the remaining solids are DONATED to neighbouring farms as> fertilizers. Donated because they don't know what else to do with it.> They don't even test it. We are growing food in anything that anyone> dumps down the drain, not to mention the fecies of meat eaters. Do> other countries do this? Some times the solid waste is processed and> mixed in to livestock feed. Nummy.>> The doc went on to explain that water should never have been chosen as> a transporter of our shit.>> The solution is COMPOSTING TOILETS!!! No sewage system

needed, nor> septic tank. And the end result is sweet smelling humus. HOORAY!!> Some systems use worms and bugs, any vegans opposed to this?>>>>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Chicken manure - a very dry musty smell. There is an area near Lurgashall Winery that has used chicken manure for years, and, while in the car reading, I always know when we are in that area!!!

Jo

-

peter hurd

Saturday, May 07, 2005 2:53 PM

There are plans to use reclaimed human faeces from sewerage works as compost in the U.K., in fact one major trial has been underway for quite some time. The end product is fertile, and has no noticable odour to other composts (aledgedly). And after all why not? sounds good recycling to me. I would certainly use it, unfortunately I cant process my own crap, and my compost heap is such a slow thing......and my cat litter, well talk about smell!

The worst thing that I have smelt spread on fields is chicken manure, god in heaven that stinks. They used it for years around here on the old coal tips to try and grow grass and trees on the slag. Pooheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

The Valley Vegan,

Every year the farm behind our house uses human sewage on their fields - mygod, it smells terrible.Jo> I recently saw a Canadian documentary about water treatment plants> called "Crapshoot". After the water is treated and put back into our> water ways, the remaining solids are DONATED to neighbouring farms as> fertilizers. Donated because they don't know what else to do with it.> They don't even test it. We are growing food in anything that anyone> dumps down the drain, not to mention the fecies of meat eaters. Do> other countries do this? Some times the solid waste is processed and> mixed in to livestock feed. Nummy.>> The doc went on to explain that water should never have been chosen as> a transporter of our shit.>> The solution is COMPOSTING TOILETS!!! No sewage s ystem needed, nor> septic tank. And the end result is sweet smelling humus. HOORAY!!> Some systems use worms and bugs, any vegans opposed to this?>>>>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

I've always wanted one of those compost bins that look like a 55 gallon drum and have a handle that you turn. Supposedly makes compost in 2 weeks. I mean, gardening wise, I lust after the thing.

Well, when we bought this place, the last owner was a PIG! Junk and garbage all over the place. Well, right next to where we are putting the orchard (we had to move trees because the bright type planted trees four inches from the deck), there is an old chest freezer. It had some dirt and potting stuff in it and DH tossed in grass clippings. Little over a week later they were composted!

So, now we have a compost "bin" that will compost all winter! I go down and toss it around with a garden fork every few days and bingo, in two weeks I have compost!

Bet it would work in other areas where you don't get a lot of heat (we have snow in the winter) because it worked for us in the winter.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Saturday, May 07, 2005 6:53 AM

The Valley Vegan,

Every year the farm behind our house uses human sewage on their fields - mygod, it smells terrible.Jo> I recently saw a Canadian documentary about water treatment plants> called "Crapshoot". After the water is treated and put back into our> water ways, the remaining solids are DONATED to neighbouring farms as> fertilizers. Donated because they don't know what else to do with it.> They don't even test it. We are growing food in anything that anyone> dumps down the drain, not to mention the fecies of meat eaters. Do> other countries do this? Some times the solid waste is processed and> mixed in to livestock feed. Nummy.>> The doc went on to explain that water should never have been chosen as> a transporter of our shit.>> The solution is COMPOSTING TOILETS!!! No sewage s ystem needed, nor> septic tank. And the end result is sweet smelling humus. HOORAY!!> Some systems use worms and bugs, any vegans opposed to this?>>>>>>>>>> To send an email to - >