IndiaDivine.org

Human sh*t and Fertilizer.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

the only thing i would add in caution to spreading human feces on land you use to grow food...

disease...

unless you compost it correctly to kill the pathogens, you are setting yerself up fer a huge disaster

human crap is no different from any other animal poo, well, except fer wot we habitually oss in our bodies, but, we carry a whole host of pathogens that are gonna spread like crazy if we just started dumping raw sewage on the land Jeff May 5, 2005 1:33 PM Re: Human Shit and Fertilizer. Hello LyndaThank you... I just checked out those links and have a better understanding. It's not that humanure, (love that term!) is a bad fertilizer, it's all the other crap that is mixed with it: meaning anything anyone pours down the drain. It comes back to the non biodegradable cleaners, oils, paints, etc...To send an email to -

Guest guest

Very true - I believe the muck they spread on the fields around us is treated - it still smells though.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, May 05, 2005 10:00 PM

Re: Re: Human sh*t and Fertilizer.

the only thing i would add in caution to spreading human feces on land you use to grow food...

disease...

unless you compost it correctly to kill the pathogens, you are setting yerself up fer a huge disaster

human crap is no different from any other animal poo, well, except fer wot we habitually oss in our bodies, but, we carry a whole host of pathogens that are gonna spread like crazy if we just started dumping raw sewage on the land Jeff May 5, 2005 1:33 PM Re: Human Shit and Fertilizer. Hello LyndaThank you... I just checked out those links and have a better understanding. It's not that humanure, (love that term!) is a bad fertilizer, it's all the other crap that is mixed with it: meaning anything anyone pours down the drain. It comes back to the non biodegradable cleaners, oils, paints, etc...To send an email to -

Guest guest

Lots of folks in the country have a dual system. Black water (toilets) and gray water (sinks, showers) and use only earth friendly soaps. We will be setting up that system next year.

One step at a time and fencing is the first step because fences make good neighbors. We have two dogs and unfortunately folks are inclined to freak out over the wrong dog! Hurricane Cali is an Amstaf/pitbull cross and sweet as they come. Youngest kidlet dresses her up and makes Renaissance and Goth clothes for her. Yup, she is just soooo mean but people can't see past what breed she is. Now, on the other hand, our other dog is a Treeing Walker Hound, Tuff-Enuf Mugwump and has the sweetest face in the world and the disposition of a crocodile with PMS!

Sue at Winona Farm could probably give you lots more info on humanure. She and Dick are real helpful folks and wouldn't mind any questions you might have. I know they have a huge composting business going on.

Lynda

-

Jeff May 5, 2005 1:33 PM Re: Human Shit and Fertilizer. Hello LyndaThank you... I just checked out those links and have a better understanding. It's not that humanure, (love that term!) is a bad fertilizer, it's all the other crap that is mixed with it: meaning anything anyone pours down the drain. It comes back to the non biodegradable cleaners, oils, paints, etc...To send an email to -