IndiaDivine.org

Speaking of Veggies

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I teach classes to local public school students on the history of various

First Nations tribes. As part of that I include a couple of cooking

classes. What we cook is generally vegetarian (and would be considered

vegan) because I don't like to take a chance with kids and raw meats.

Part one is about what foods are native to the Americas. Here's that list.

The next e-mail will include the recipes that the kids use in the class.

CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE AMERICAS

Veggies: corn, potato, sweet potato, tomato, okra, Jeruselum artichokes,

turnips, onions

Squash: zucchini, pumpkin, hubbard, acorn, crookneck, cushaw, cucumbers

Melons

Beans: kidney, butter, snap, string, lima, tepary, common, navy, pole,

pinto

Cassava or manioc: tapioca

Berries: 47 kinds including blueberry (20 varieties), elderberry (4

varieties), gooseberry (12+ varieties), wild grapes, ground cherries, wild

currants, sour chokecherries, blackberries, manzanita, lemonadeberry

(squawberry), cranberries, strawberry (several varieties)

Avocado

Chocolate

Spices, etc.: Paprika, cayenne, chili peppers, bell peppers, vanilla, red

peppers, garlic, sassafras, wild mint, sugar cane

Nuts: cashew, pecan, peanuts, black walnuts

Sunflowers

Fruits: alligator pear, pineapple, Indian fig, star apple, passion fruit,

persimmon, papaya, bananas, coconuts, mountain apple, guava

Arrowroot

Maple syrup/sugar

Wild rice

Taro

Guest guest

hello Linda,

I was reading your list about native American foods there are 2 in particular

I Question

one is the Cashew I thought was from India

the other is garlic is from southern Siberia

(I could be wrong)

and how could you forget tomatoes

I read somewhere that over 50% of the cultivated food around the world today originated in the America's

so we owe allot to native Americans =o]]

all the best

Craig

Speaking of VeggiesI teach classes to local public school students on the history of variousFirst Nations tribes. As part of that I include a couple of cookingclasses. What we cook is generally vegetarian (and would be consideredvegan) because I don't like to take a chance with kids and raw meats.Part one is about what foods are native to the Americas. Here's that list.The next e-mail will include the recipes that the kids use in the class.CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE AMERICASVeggies: corn, potato, sweet potato, tomato, okra, Jeruselum artichokes,turnips, onionsSquash: zucchini, pumpkin, hubbard, acorn, crookneck, cushaw, cucumbersMelonsBeans: kidney, butter, snap, string, lima, tepary, common, navy, pole,pintoCassava or manioc: tapiocaBerries: 47 kinds including blueberry (20 varieties), elderberry (4varieties), gooseberry (12+ varieties), wild grapes, ground cherries, wildcurrants, sour chokecherries, blackberries, manzanita, lemonadeberry(squawberry), cranberries, strawberry (several varieties)AvocadoChocolateSpices, etc.: Paprika, cayenne, chili peppers, bell peppers, vanilla, redpeppers, garlic, sassafras, wild mint, sugar caneNuts: cashew, pecan, peanuts, black walnutsSunflowersFruits: alligator pear, pineapple, Indian fig, star apple, passion fruit,persimmon, papaya, bananas, coconuts, mountain apple, guavaArrowrootMaple syrup/sugarWild riceTaro

Guest guest

Cashew is from Brazil (Anacardium occidentale) and is related to the pistachio, mango and, yuck, poison ivy! Portugese sailors took the first trees to India in the 16th century.

There are garlics native to the Western Hemisphere.

AND, the end of my list seems to have gotten lost. The tomatoes were included with a little list of "what would Italians have eaten without tomatoes and corn (polenta), the Irish without potatoes and the French without chocolate.

Lynda

-

Craig Dearth

Saturday, May 14, 2005 8:55 AM

RE: Speaking of Veggies

hello Linda,

I Question

(I could be wrong)

I read somewhere that over 50% of the cultivated food around the world today originated in the America's

all the best

Craig

Speaking of VeggiesI teach classes to local public school students on the history of variousFirst Nations tribes. As part of that I include a couple of cookingclasses. What we cook is generally vegetarian (and would be consideredvegan) because I don't like to take a chance with kids and raw meats.Part one is about what foods are native to the Americas. Here's that list.The next e-mail will include the recipes that the kids use in the class.CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE AMERICASVeggies: corn, potato, sweet potato, tomato, okra, Jeruselum artichokes,turnips, onionsSquash: zucchini, pumpkin, hubbard, acorn, crookneck, cushaw, cucumbersMelonsBeans: kidney, butter, snap, string, lima, tepary, common, navy, pole,pintoCassava or manioc: tapiocaBerries: 47 kinds including blueberry (20 varieties), elderberry (4varieties), gooseberry (12+ varieties), wild grapes, ground cherries, wildcurrants, sour chokecherries, blackberries, manzanita, lemonadeberry(squawberry), cranberries, strawberry (several varieties)AvocadoChocolateSpices, etc.: Paprika, cayenne, chili peppers, bell peppers, vanilla, redpeppers, garlic, sassafras, wild mint, sugar caneNuts: cashew, pecan, peanuts, black walnutsSunflowersFruits: alligator pear, pineapple, Indian fig, star apple, passion fruit,persimmon, papaya, bananas, coconuts, mountain apple, guavaArrowrootMaple syrup/sugarWild riceTaroTo send an email to -

Guest guest

ummmm...

i have a couple of issues with the list

garlic is from somewhere in like russia originally..it spread all across the ancient world..the egyptians, greeks and romans loved it

there's a european as well as an american gooseberry

the same with currants

(currants originally meant a small raisin from greece anyways...fresh currants are from asia, europe as well as north america...and they don't really grow em here anymore..they actually banned growing the black currant fer a number of years)

the romans ate turnips...

onions originated in central asia and europe

(on a related note..i think shallots originated in turkey)sugar cane prolly originated in polynesia, where it was spread by traders into china and india...the persians took it west...i know the Arabs had huge sugar cane fields in wot is now southern iraq, harvested by the Zanj(african slaves)

mints were found pretty much world wide

grapes of course grew in asia and europe as well as north america

Lynda May 13, 2005 3:28 PM Speaking of Veggies I teach classes to local public school students on the history of variousFirst Nations tribes. As part of that I include a couple of cookingclasses. What we cook is generally vegetarian (and would be consideredvegan) because I don't like to take a chance with kids and raw meats.Part one is about what foods are native to the Americas. Here's that list.The next e-mail will include the recipes that the kids use in the class.CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE AMERICASVeggies: corn, potato, sweet potato, tomato, okra, Jeruselum artichokes,turnips, onionsSquash: zucchini, pumpkin, hubbard, acorn, crookneck, cushaw, cucumbersMelonsBeans: kidney, butter, snap, string, lima, tepary, common, navy, pole,pintoCassava or manioc: tapiocaBerries: 47 kinds including blueberry (20 varieties), elderberry (4varieties), gooseberry (12+ varieties), wild grapes, ground cherries, wildcurrants, sour chokecherries, blackberries, manzanita, lemonadeberry(squawberry), cranberries, strawberry (several varieties)AvocadoChocolateSpices, etc.: Paprika, cayenne, chili peppers, bell peppers, vanilla, redpeppers, garlic, sassafras, wild mint, sugar caneNuts: cashew, pecan, peanuts, black walnutsSunflowersFruits: alligator pear, pineapple, Indian fig, star apple, passion fruit,persimmon, papaya, bananas, coconuts, mountain apple, guavaArrowrootMaple syrup/sugarWild riceTaroTo send an email to -

Guest guest

tomatoes are on her list...

i think cashews are from brazil Craig Dearth May 14, 2005 8:55 AM RE: Speaking of Veggies

hello Linda,

I Question

(I could be wrong)

all the best

Craig

Speaking of Veggies

I teach classes to local public school students on the history of variousFirst Nations tribes. As part of that I include a couple of cookingclasses. What we cook is generally vegetarian (and would be consideredvegan) because I don't like to take a chance with kids and raw meats.Part one is about what foods are native to the Americas. Here's that list.The next e-mail will include the recipes that the kids use in the class.CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE AMERICASVeggies: corn, potato, sweet potato, tomato, okra, Jeruselum artichokes,turnips, onionsSquash: zucchini, pumpkin, hubbard, acorn, crookneck, cushaw, cucumbersMelonsBeans: kidney, butter, snap, string, lima, tepary, common, navy, pole,pintoCassava or manioc: tapiocaBerries: 47 kinds including blueberry (20 varieties), elderberry (4varieties), gooseberry (12+ varieties), wild grapes, ground cherries, wildcurrants, sour chokecherries, blackberries, manzanita, lemonadeberry(squawberry), cranberries, strawberry (several varieties)AvocadoChocolateSpices, etc.: Paprika, cayenne, chili peppers, bell peppers, vanilla, redpeppers, garlic, sassafras, wild mint, sugar caneNuts: cashew, pecan, peanuts, black walnutsSunflowersFruits: alligator pear, pineapple, Indian fig, star apple, passion fruit,persimmon, papaya, bananas, coconuts, mountain apple, guavaArrowrootMaple syrup/sugarWild riceTaroTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Many forms of garlic/onions (Alliums), such as Meadow garlic are native to the Western Hemisphere.

Same with Pediomelum cyphocalyx (Gray) Rydb. turniproot. The native turnip which was exported to Europe on one of those early ships.

Now, if the fires haven't destroyed them all, Ribes californicum Hook. & Arn. var. californicum (gooseberries) were all over the place in the Oakland/Bezerkley hills. And, as far as I know, all the "Ribes" are native to the Western Hemisphere.

Saccharum giganteum (sugarcane) is native.

Lynda

-

fraggle

Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:17 PM

Re: Speaking of Veggies

ummmm...

garlic is from somewhere in like russia originally..it spread all across the ancient world..the egyptians, greeks and romans loved it

the same with currants

(currants originally meant a small raisin from greece anyways...fresh currants are from asia, europe as well as north america...and they don't really grow em here anymore..they actually banned growing the black currant fer a number of years)

(on a related note..i think shallots originated in turkey)sugar cane prolly originated in polynesia, where it was spread by traders into china and india...the persians took it west...i know the Arabs had huge sugar cane fields in wot is now southern iraq, harvested by the Zanj(african slaves)

Lynda May 13, 2005 3:28 PM Speaking of Veggies I teach classes to local public school students on the history of variousFirst Nations tribes. As part of that I include a couple of cookingclasses. What we cook is generally vegetarian (and would be consideredvegan) because I don't like to take a chance with kids and raw meats.Part one is about what foods are native to the Americas. Here's that list.The next e-mail will include the recipes that the kids use in the class.CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE AMERICASVeggies: corn, potato, sweet potato, tomato, okra, Jeruselum artichokes,turnips, onionsSquash: zucchini, pumpkin, hubbard, acorn, crookneck, cushaw, cucumbersMelonsBeans: kidney, butter, snap, string, lima, tepary, common, navy, pole,pintoCassava or manioc: tapiocaBerries: 47 kinds including blueberry (20 varieties), elderberry (4varieties), gooseberry (12+ varieties), wild grapes, ground cherries, wildcurrants, sour chokecherries, blackberries, manzanita, lemonadeberry(squawberry), cranberries, strawberry (several varieties)AvocadoChocolateSpices, etc.: Paprika, cayenne, chili peppers, bell peppers, vanilla, redpeppers, garlic, sassafras, wild mint, sugar caneNuts: cashew, pecan, peanuts, black walnutsSunflowersFruits: alligator pear, pineapple, Indian fig, star apple, passion fruit,persimmon, papaya, bananas, coconuts, mountain apple, guavaArrowrootMaple syrup/sugarWild riceTaroTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Saccharum giganteum is plumegrass tho, and not exactly the same as the cultivated variety

sure..alliums are found all over..but, yer main cultivated species are going from over thar

*waves vaguely eastward*

as fer yer turnip..thats indianbreadroot, and i think prarrie turnip..not the same family as regular ol turnips and rutabafas..i think those are members of the pea family, while turnips are members of the brassica ...cabbage family....

and yeah..they still have wild gooseberries up in the hills..they just finished flowering Lynda May 14, 2005 3:04 PM Re: Speaking of Veggies

Many forms of garlic/onions (Alliums), such as Meadow garlic are native to the Western Hemisphere.

Same with Pediomelum cyphocalyx (Gray) Rydb. turniproot. The native turnip which was exported to Europe on one of those early ships.

Now, if the fires haven't destroyed them all, Ribes californicum Hook. & Arn. var. californicum (gooseberries) were all over the place in the Oakland/Bezerkley hills. And, as far as I know, all the "Ribes" are native to the Western Hemisphere.

Saccharum giganteum (sugarcane) is native.

Lynda

-

fraggle

Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:17 PM

Re: Speaking of Veggies

ummmm...

the same with currants

Guest guest

> as fer yer turnip..thats indianbreadroot, and i think prarrie turnip..not the same family as regular ol turnips and rutabafas..i

> think those are members of the pea family, while turnips are members of the brassica ...cabbage family....

Of course, on the turnip front - they were in use in Ireland for centuries before America was "discovered" by Europeans... the original Jack O' Lanterns.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Turnip is still popular in Ireland. It is one of those things that I

recall from my childhood, |going in to a farmers field on the way home

from school and picking a turnip and eating it as you traveled home.

That must sound so primitive to the rest of you.

Mary

, " Peter " <metalscarab@c...> wrote:

> > as fer yer turnip..thats indianbreadroot, and i think prarrie

turnip..not the same family as regular ol turnips and rutabafas..i

> > think those are members of the pea family, while turnips are

members of the brassica ...cabbage family....

>

> Of course, on the turnip front - they were in use in Ireland for

centuries before America was " discovered " by Europeans... the original

Jack O' Lanterns.

>

> BB

> Peter

Guest guest

you braniac!!

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> Saccharum giganteum is plumegrass tho, and not exactly the same as

the cultivated variety

sure..alliums are found all over..but, yer main cultivated species are

going from over thar

*waves vaguely eastward*

as fer yer turnip..thats indianbreadroot, and i think prarrie

turnip..not the same family as regular ol turnips and rutabafas..i

think those are members of the pea family, while turnips are members of

the brassica ...cabbage family....

Guest guest

i blame it on being vegan.... Anouk Sickler May 16, 2005 8:19 PM Re: Speaking of Veggies you braniac!! , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> Saccharum giganteum is plumegrass tho, and not exactly the same as the cultivated varietysure..alliums are found all over..but, yer main cultivated species are going from over thar*waves vaguely eastward*as fer yer turnip..thats indianbreadroot, and i think prarrie turnip..not the same family as regular ol turnips and rutabafas..i think those are members of the pea family, while turnips are members of the brassica ...cabbage family....To send an email to -