IndiaDivine.org

Soy, was So, how bad did I screw up?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

All the studies aren't funded by the dairy industry. The study (I'll have to find it) that makes the most sense to me, paraphrased, says that folks who haven't historically eaten a lot of soy aren't genetically programmed to eat a lot of soy. Plus, folks, particularly the U.S. and Brits are inclined to go overboard with anything they consider new/good. So instead of eating soy in the same relative quantities that other cultures do, we (U.S. and Brits) are inclined to eat massive quantities of the newest/latest craze.

He also said that folks need to look at soy from a different view point. NOT as a substitute for x, y or z but as a food within a group. And I can see that because folks rush out of replace everything dairy and meat with soy and that isn't how it is traditionally eat. Soy is soy and not a replacement for anything else.

The study ended by saying that quality was important and quantity was important.

I guess maybe the bottomline is to stop thinking of it as a replacement for milk, etc. and simply use/eat it as other countries do traditionally.

Lynda

-

ChemGeek

Thursday, May 19, 2005 8:52 AM

Re: So, how bad did I screw up?

John McDougall, a huge vegan advocated, says that eating soy beyond anything "occasional" is actually dangerous to your health. Now he's a hellfire and brimstone anti-dairy advocate, so for him to come out and say stuff is somewhat worrisome to me.

-

Jo Cwazy

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 11:16 PM

The only ~research~ I am aware of that says that soy is not safe has been funded by the meat and milk industries. All the research I have read says soy is good for you, regulates hormones. Population studies show that people who eat over a certain amount of soy have a lot less breast and prostate cancer for a start. At one time it was argued that eating soy was bad for children because of the phytoestrogens, but this argument has now been laid to rest. If it was bad for children, there wouldn't be any healthy adults in the populations that consume a lot of soy, and yet these same populations are healthier than meat eating populations.

Jo

-

ChemGeek

Thursday, May 19, 2005 1:19 AM

just cuz something doesn't come from animals, don't mean its healthy i think we are all confusing "my gawd ITS VEGAN!", with a vegan diet just cuz i can eat something doesn't mean i'm going to.... anti-freeze is vegan....

If you are speaking about Ethylene glycol anti-freeze that goes in a car, it is an unfair comparison. That type of antifreeze isn't marketed as something for human consumption. However there is a type of antifreeze, propylene glycol that is used in food, food coloring, medicines and cosmetics as well as pipes in homes etc... that is supposedly safe. So chances are you have eaten antifreeze.

What's the difference between "my gawd ITS VEGAN!" and what vegans eat? Most vegans I know use margarine, most vegans I know eat tofutti products (I'm not picking on tofutti it's just a product I'm well versed with), most vegans I know eat soy (which some people say isn't safe) etc... Tofutti's cream cheese substitute is called "Better Than Cream Cheese" for goodness sake. It does give a false impression that this product is much healthier than regular cream cheese.

And I agree, just because something doesn't come from animals, doesn't mean it is healthy. However people are given false impressions about certain products. Take PeTA for example..while they are primarily an animal advocate group they do pimp the "health benefits" of being a veg*n. In the "Vegetarian Starter Kit" there's an entire page dedicated to the health dangers of eating dairy and meat. In their "Vegetarian Starter Kit" they tell you to use margarine, tofutti ice cream, soy milk, etc... without even mentioning the fact they contain dangerous mono and di-glycerides as well and how they should really only be used sparingly. So while you may not eat something just because it's vegan, many people do and do so unbeknownst to the hidden dangers.

Talisman

Actinide Chemistry Graduate Student 2004ICP-MS and Radioactive Isotope User

Master Alchemist Gamma Mu ColonyAlpha Chi Sigma FraternityHeading to Notre Dame Fall 2005!!

To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Lynda

> He also said that folks need to look at soy from a different view point.

> NOT as a substitute for x, y or z but as a food within a group. And I can

> see that because folks rush out of replace everything dairy and meat with

> soy and that isn't how it is traditionally eat. Soy is soy and not a

> replacement for anything else.

> I guess maybe the bottomline is to stop thinking of it as a replacement

> for milk, etc. and simply use/eat it as other countries do traditionally.

This seems to be a sensible way to look at it. Of course, anything

consumed in too much quantity is bad for you... one of Tiberius' favourite

torture methods was forcing victims to drink too much water (and yes, that

is a heck of a lot of water, but still possible!)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hello Lynda,

I read somewhere (*and I have been trying to find the source for hours if I do come across it I will forward)

that one of the main reasons they feed excessive soy to Chickens and pigs is that it softens the meat for eating.

Now Yuck but maybe that applies in some way to us that excessive eating of soy doesn't allow for regular cell replacement or something like that Lol

anyway the protein and calcium are extremely available in soy and very good for us I think if I ate 2 kilos of soy a day well ..

help me obe wan canole'

Craig

All the studies aren't funded by the dairy industry. The study (I'll have to find it) that makes the most sense to me, paraphrased, says that folks who haven't historically eaten a lot of soy aren't genetically programmed to eat a lot of soy. Plus, folks, particularly the U.S. and Brits are inclined to go overboard with anything they consider new/good. So instead of eating soy in the same relative quantities that other cultures do, we (U.S. and Brits) are inclined to eat massive quantities of the newest/latest craze.

He also said that folks need to look at soy from a different view point. NOT as a substitute for x, y or z but as a food within a group. And I can see that because folks rush out of replace everything dairy and meat with soy and that isn't how it is traditionally eat. Soy is soy and not a replacement for anything else.

The study ended by saying that quality was important and quantity was important.

I guess maybe the bottomline is to stop thinking of it as a replacement for milk, etc. and simply use/eat it as other countries do traditionally.

Lynda

Guest guest

If what you say is correct, it doesn't make soy 'bad' it just makes some people stupid.

-

Lynda

Thursday, May 19, 2005 7:36 PM

Guest guest

a local fraternity is in deep..ummmm..water....because a pledge died during a hazing event

they made him drink too much water metalscarab May 20, 2005 4:25 AM Re: Soy, was So, how bad did I screw up? Hi Lynda> He also said that folks need to look at soy from a different view point.> NOT as a substitute for x, y or z but as a food within a group. And I can> see that because folks rush out of replace everything dairy and meat with> soy and that isn't how it is traditionally eat. Soy is soy and not a> replacement for anything else.> I guess maybe the bottomline is to stop thinking of it as a replacement> for milk, etc. and simply use/eat it as other countries do traditionally.This seems to be a sensible way to look at it. Of course, anythingconsumed in too much quantity is bad for you... one of Tiberius' favouritetorture methods was forcing victims to drink too much water (and yes, thatis a heck of a lot of water, but still possible!)BBPeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

More than possible, Peter. It is one of those hazing things college kids do

and every year some kid dies from drinking too much water. Just happened

again last month at Chico (Ultimate Party College) State.

Lynda

-

<metalscarab

>

> This seems to be a sensible way to look at it. Of course, anything

> consumed in too much quantity is bad for you... one of Tiberius' favourite

> torture methods was forcing victims to drink too much water (and yes, that

> is a heck of a lot of water, but still possible!)

>

> BB

> Peter

Guest guest

Soy packs on the pounds, not fat and quickly. That is generally why it is used for pigs and chickens. And, of course the main issue, It is also cheap. I can get 55 gallon barrels of the soy for less than half the price of other animal grains. We used to feed it to the horses and it sure wasn't to make their meat soft <g> Put the pounds on old horses and kept the pounds on stressed (pregnancy, show, race, etc.) horses. Plus gave them a bee u tee ful coat!

Lynda

-

Craig Dearth

Friday, May 20, 2005 6:12 AM

RE: Soy, was So, how bad did I screw up?

Hello Lynda,

I read somewhere (*and I have been trying to find the source for hours if I do come across it I will forward)

that one of the main reasons they feed excessive soy to Chickens and pigs is that it softens the meat for eating.

Now Yuck but maybe that applies in some way to us that excessive eating of soy doesn't allow for regular cell replacement or something like that Lol

anyway the protein and calcium are extremely available in soy and very good for us I think if I ate 2 kilos of soy a day well ..

help me obe wan canole'

Craig

Lynda

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Jo, dear, I NEVER said soy was bad, nor implied it. Soy was not available world wide and thus a person's body MAY have to learn how to process it. In some cases, soy can be "bad" for an individual. It is the fault of the individual's body chemistry. Thus, the basic rules of any diet change should be followed, "start small and see how YOUR "INDIVIDUAL" body reacts.

Also, consuming huge quantities of any food isn't terribly bright. One shouldn't build their diet around a single food source. Some folks do that with soy.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Friday, May 20, 2005 6:55 AM

Re: Soy, was So, how bad did I screw up?

If what you say is correct, it doesn't make soy 'bad' it just makes some people stupid.

-

Lynda

Thursday, May 19, 2005 7:36 PM

To send an email to -

Guest guest

I am not a pig or a chicken but when I went for a massage the lady

put her hands on me and immediatly stated that I was vege. She says

that she can always tell because we are softer and more pliable.

Mary

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> Soy packs on the pounds, not fat and quickly. That is generally

why it is used for pigs and chickens. And, of course the main

issue, It is also cheap. I can get 55 gallon barrels of the soy for

less than half the price of other animal grains. We used to feed it

to the horses and it sure wasn't to make their meat soft <g> Put

the pounds on old horses and kept the pounds on stressed (pregnancy,

show, race, etc.) horses. Plus gave them a bee u tee ful coat!

>

> Lynda

> -

> Craig Dearth

>

> Friday, May 20, 2005 6:12 AM

> RE: Soy, was So, how bad did I screw up?

>

>

> Hello Lynda,

> I read somewhere (*and I have been trying to find the source

for hours if I do come across it I will forward)

> that one of the main reasons they feed excessive soy to Chickens

and pigs is that it softens the meat for eating.

> Now Yuck but maybe that applies in some way to us that

excessive eating of soy doesn't allow for regular cell replacement

or something like that Lol

> anyway the protein and calcium are extremely available in soy

and very good for us I think if I ate 2 kilos of soy a day well ..

> help me obe wan canole'

>

> Craig

>

>

>

>

> Soy, was So, how bad did I screw up?

>

>

> All the studies aren't funded by the dairy industry. The study

(I'll have to find it) that makes the most sense to me, paraphrased,

says that folks who haven't historically eaten a lot of soy aren't

genetically programmed to eat a lot of soy. Plus, folks,

particularly the U.S. and Brits are inclined to go overboard with

anything they consider new/good. So instead of eating soy in the

same relative quantities that other cultures do, we (U.S. and Brits)

are inclined to eat massive quantities of the newest/latest craze.

>

> He also said that folks need to look at soy from a different

view point. NOT as a substitute for x, y or z but as a food within

a group. And I can see that because folks rush out of replace

everything dairy and meat with soy and that isn't how it is

traditionally eat. Soy is soy and not a replacement for anything

else.

>

> The study ended by saying that quality was important and

quantity was important.

>

> I guess maybe the bottomline is to stop thinking of it as a

replacement for milk, etc. and simply use/eat it as other countries

do traditionally.

>

> Lynda

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

> -

-----------

>

Guest guest

Everyone one I know who went to Chico State either died of alchohol

posioning or has a friend who died from it.

Love,

Anna

P.S. Sorry about my recent absence. I was in kind of a funk the last week

or so and didn't check my e-mail for a long time. But then I got some good

news and now I'm feeling better.

> [Original Message]

> Lynda <lurine

>

> 5/20/2005 2:31:55 PM

> Re: Soy, was So, how bad did I screw up?

>

> More than possible, Peter. It is one of those hazing things college kids

do

> and every year some kid dies from drinking too much water. Just happened

> again last month at Chico (Ultimate Party College) State.

>

> Lynda

> -

> <metalscarab

> >

> > This seems to be a sensible way to look at it. Of course, anything

> > consumed in too much quantity is bad for you... one of Tiberius'

favourite

> > torture methods was forcing victims to drink too much water (and yes,

that

> > is a heck of a lot of water, but still possible!)

> >

> > BB

> > Peter

>

To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

I agree,

if you go to a health food store, you will see myriads of soy this

and soy that. I think it is way too much.

It seems as if someone said ok soy will be the new/next meat and

milk replacement.

I have friends in argentina who are very angry at monsanto and the

usa in general as they see monsanto = usa.

becuase, Monsanto is destroying precious habitat for animals and

native indians, native forests that were undisturebed for years.

(land the sizes of small countries)

all to feed cows which people eat their meat for.

Soy to them is not so innocent.

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> All the studies aren't funded by the dairy industry. The study

(I'll have to find it) that makes the most sense to me, paraphrased,

says that folks who haven't historically eaten a lot of soy aren't

genetically programmed to eat a lot of soy. Plus, folks,

particularly the U.S. and Brits are inclined to go overboard with

anything they consider new/good. So instead of eating soy in the

same relative quantities that other cultures do, we (U.S. and Brits)

are inclined to eat massive quantities of the newest/latest craze.

>

> He also said that folks need to look at soy from a different view

point. NOT as a substitute for x, y or z but as a food within a

group. And I can see that because folks rush out of replace

everything dairy and meat with soy and that isn't how it is

traditionally eat. Soy is soy and not a replacement for anything

else.

>

> The study ended by saying that quality was important and quantity

was important.

>

> I guess maybe the bottomline is to stop thinking of it as a

replacement for milk, etc. and simply use/eat it as other countries

do traditionally.

>

> Lynda

> -

> ChemGeek

>

> Thursday, May 19, 2005 8:52 AM

> Re: So, how bad did I screw up?

>

>

> John McDougall, a huge vegan advocated, says that eating soy

beyond anything " occasional " is actually dangerous to your health.

Now he's a hellfire and brimstone anti-dairy advocate, so for him to

come out and say stuff is somewhat worrisome to me.

>

>

> -

> Jo Cwazy

>

> Wednesday, May 18, 2005 11:16 PM

>

>

> The only ~research~ I am aware of that says that soy is not

safe has been funded by the meat and milk industries. All the

research I have read says soy is good for you, regulates hormones.

Population studies show that people who eat over a certain amount of

soy have a lot less breast and prostate cancer for a start. At one

time it was argued that eating soy was bad for children because of

the phytoestrogens, but this argument has now been laid to rest. If

it was bad for children, there wouldn't be any healthy adults in the

populations that consume a lot of soy, and yet these same populations

are healthier than meat eating populations.

>

> Jo

> -

> ChemGeek

>

> Thursday, May 19, 2005 1:19 AM

>

>

> just cuz something doesn't come from animals, don't mean its

healthy i think we are all confusing " my gawd ITS VEGAN! " , with a

vegan diet just cuz i can eat something doesn't mean i'm going to....

anti-freeze is vegan....

> If you are speaking about Ethylene glycol anti-freeze that

goes in a car, it is an unfair comparison. That type of antifreeze

isn't marketed as something for human consumption. However there is

a type of antifreeze, propylene glycol that is used in food, food

coloring, medicines and cosmetics as well as pipes in homes etc...

that is supposedly safe. So chances are you have eaten antifreeze.

>

> What's the difference between " my gawd ITS VEGAN! " and what

vegans eat? Most vegans I know use margarine, most vegans I know eat

tofutti products (I'm not picking on tofutti it's just a product I'm

well versed with), most vegans I know eat soy (which some people say

isn't safe) etc... Tofutti's cream cheese substitute is

called " Better Than Cream Cheese " for goodness sake. It does give a

false impression that this product is much healthier than regular

cream cheese.

>

> And I agree, just because something doesn't come from

animals, doesn't mean it is healthy. However people are given false

impressions about certain products. Take PeTA for example..while

they are primarily an animal advocate group they do pimp the " health

benefits " of being a veg*n. In the " Vegetarian Starter Kit " there's

an entire page dedicated to the health dangers of eating dairy and

meat. In their " Vegetarian Starter Kit " they tell you to use

margarine, tofutti ice cream, soy milk, etc... without even

mentioning the fact they contain dangerous mono and di-glycerides as

well and how they should really only be used sparingly. So while you

may not eat something just because it's vegan, many people do and do

so unbeknownst to the hidden dangers.

>

>

>

> Talisman

>

>

> Actinide Chemistry Graduate Student 2004

> ICP-MS and Radioactive Isotope User

> Master Alchemist Gamma Mu Colony

> Alpha Chi Sigma Fraternity

> Heading to Notre Dame Fall 2005!!

>

>

To send an email to -

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

> --

----------

>

Guest guest

That's sad. I wonder why people go to extremes.

Jo

-

" Anna Blaine " <anna333

Saturday, May 21, 2005 2:13 AM

Re: Soy, was So, how bad did I screw up?

> Everyone one I know who went to Chico State either died of alchohol

> posioning or has a friend who died from it.

>

> Love,

> Anna

>

> P.S. Sorry about my recent absence. I was in kind of a funk the last week

> or so and didn't check my e-mail for a long time. But then I got some

good

> news and now I'm feeling better.

>

>

>

> > [Original Message]

> > Lynda <lurine

> >

> > 5/20/2005 2:31:55 PM

> > Re: Soy, was So, how bad did I screw up?

> >

> > More than possible, Peter. It is one of those hazing things college

kids

> do

> > and every year some kid dies from drinking too much water. Just

happened

> > again last month at Chico (Ultimate Party College) State.

> >

> > Lynda

> > -

> > <metalscarab

> > >

> > > This seems to be a sensible way to look at it. Of course, anything

> > > consumed in too much quantity is bad for you... one of Tiberius'

> favourite

> > > torture methods was forcing victims to drink too much water (and yes,

> that

> > > is a heck of a lot of water, but still possible!)

> > >

> > > BB

> > > Peter

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

Luckily in the UK most soy is sourced from countries that have refused

Monsanto and any other gm soya - so UK people need have no qualms at all.

Jo

> I agree,

> if you go to a health food store, you will see myriads of soy this

> and soy that. I think it is way too much.

> It seems as if someone said ok soy will be the new/next meat and

> milk replacement.

>

> I have friends in argentina who are very angry at monsanto and the

> usa in general as they see monsanto = usa.

>

> becuase, Monsanto is destroying precious habitat for animals and

> native indians, native forests that were undisturebed for years.

> (land the sizes of small countries)

> all to feed cows which people eat their meat for.

> Soy to them is not so innocent.

>

>

>

> , " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> > All the studies aren't funded by the dairy industry. The study

> (I'll have to find it) that makes the most sense to me, paraphrased,

> says that folks who haven't historically eaten a lot of soy aren't

> genetically programmed to eat a lot of soy. Plus, folks,

> particularly the U.S. and Brits are inclined to go overboard with

> anything they consider new/good. So instead of eating soy in the

> same relative quantities that other cultures do, we (U.S. and Brits)

> are inclined to eat massive quantities of the newest/latest craze.

> >

> > He also said that folks need to look at soy from a different view

> point. NOT as a substitute for x, y or z but as a food within a

> group. And I can see that because folks rush out of replace

> everything dairy and meat with soy and that isn't how it is

> traditionally eat. Soy is soy and not a replacement for anything

> else.

> >

> > The study ended by saying that quality was important and quantity

> was important.

> >

> > I guess maybe the bottomline is to stop thinking of it as a

> replacement for milk, etc. and simply use/eat it as other countries

> do traditionally.

> >

> > Lynda

> > -

> > ChemGeek

> >

> > Thursday, May 19, 2005 8:52 AM

> > Re: So, how bad did I screw up?

> >

> >

> > John McDougall, a huge vegan advocated, says that eating soy

> beyond anything " occasional " is actually dangerous to your health.

> Now he's a hellfire and brimstone anti-dairy advocate, so for him to

> come out and say stuff is somewhat worrisome to me.

> >

> >

> > -

> > Jo Cwazy

> >

> > Wednesday, May 18, 2005 11:16 PM

> >

> >

> > The only ~research~ I am aware of that says that soy is not

> safe has been funded by the meat and milk industries. All the

> research I have read says soy is good for you, regulates hormones.

> Population studies show that people who eat over a certain amount of

> soy have a lot less breast and prostate cancer for a start. At one

> time it was argued that eating soy was bad for children because of

> the phytoestrogens, but this argument has now been laid to rest. If

> it was bad for children, there wouldn't be any healthy adults in the

> populations that consume a lot of soy, and yet these same populations

> are healthier than meat eating populations.

> >

> > Jo

> > -

> > ChemGeek

> >

> > Thursday, May 19, 2005 1:19 AM

> >

> >

> > just cuz something doesn't come from animals, don't mean its

> healthy i think we are all confusing " my gawd ITS VEGAN! " , with a

> vegan diet just cuz i can eat something doesn't mean i'm going to....

> anti-freeze is vegan....

> > If you are speaking about Ethylene glycol anti-freeze that

> goes in a car, it is an unfair comparison. That type of antifreeze

> isn't marketed as something for human consumption. However there is

> a type of antifreeze, propylene glycol that is used in food, food

> coloring, medicines and cosmetics as well as pipes in homes etc...

> that is supposedly safe. So chances are you have eaten antifreeze.

> >

> > What's the difference between " my gawd ITS VEGAN! " and what

> vegans eat? Most vegans I know use margarine, most vegans I know eat

> tofutti products (I'm not picking on tofutti it's just a product I'm

> well versed with), most vegans I know eat soy (which some people say

> isn't safe) etc... Tofutti's cream cheese substitute is

> called " Better Than Cream Cheese " for goodness sake. It does give a

> false impression that this product is much healthier than regular

> cream cheese.

> >

> > And I agree, just because something doesn't come from

> animals, doesn't mean it is healthy. However people are given false