Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Congrats Anne

and all the best

Craig

my good news

Hi all,

I found out last week that I got accepted into a master's program at Southern Connecticut State University, which was my first choice of the schools I applied to. I'm still waiting to hear from the financial aid office to see if I can actually borrow enough money to go back to school. I really want to go to this school, but have decided to wait to hear from University of Tennessee before I make up my mind. I'd much rather live in New Haven, but the rent in Knoxville is about a third what it is in CT. I have to do some more research and figure out my finances before I make a final decision. Like what kind of public transportation New Haven has, because at $800 - 900 a month for a studio, I won't be able to afford to keep my car. And I need to keep my disability benefits for another 2 years - that will cover rent but not much else, so I may have to get a part time job. I'm not sure I can handle both full time school and a part time job (I haven't worked full time since June 2002 due to my health.) But this is a really great opportunity to start a new career and I'm really flattered that I got accepted at this school because I scored much lower on the written portion of the GRE than they usually require of admitees. I had to send two writing samples to prove I actually can write, but apparently it worked!

Love,

Anna

Anna Blaine

anna333

Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

Guest guest

Anna, every college has a financial aid office and in that office is row upon row of binders with grants and scholarships. If possible, go spend some time there. You'd be amazed at the number of grants and scholarships that never get awarded. Some of them don't even require info on grade point averages.

When I returned to college I was advised to do this and made enough money for college plus enough money to live on from the scholarships and grants alone. Some weren't very big but when you added them all together I was getting $1200 a month more than my expenses.

And some of the requirements are absolutely beyond simple to qualify for. One scholarship required that you take and pass a physical science class in high school. That was a no brainer. Another scholarship only require that neither of my parents had graduated from a 4 year college. That one paid $2000 a semester.

Also, apply for the work study programs part of the Pell Grants. A lot of those jobs rarely require much work but you get paid for showing up. One of my jobs only required that I be available if someone had a question (in two years only had about a dozen questions) and I did homework. that was fine with the boss.

Of course, I am shell shocked over the price of studio apartments. In Arcata (Humboldt State University), the studios next to the campus run $385/mo with all utilities paid. I thought rents were higher in CA than in any other state. Guess not.

At any rate, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynda

-

Anna Blaine

Friday, May 20, 2005 6:20 PM

my good news

Hi all,

I found out last week that I got accepted into a master's program at Southern Connecticut State University, which was my first choice of the schools I applied to. I'm still waiting to hear from the financial aid office to see if I can actually borrow enough money to go back to school. I really want to go to this school, but have decided to wait to hear from University of Tennessee before I make up my mind. I'd much rather live in New Haven, but the rent in Knoxville is about a third what it is in CT. I have to do some more research and figure out my finances before I make a final decision. Like what kind of public transportation New Haven has, because at $800 - 900 a month for a studio, I won't be able to afford to keep my car. And I need to keep my disability benefits for another 2 years - that will cover rent but not much else, so I may have to get a part time job. I'm not sure I can handle both full time school and a part time job (I haven't worked full time since June 2002 due to my health.) But this is a really great opportunity to start a new career and I'm really flattered that I got accepted at this school because I scored much lower on the written portion of the GRE than they usually require of admitees. I had to send two writing samples to prove I actually can write, but apparently it worked!

Love,

Anna

Anna Blaine

anna333

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Go Anne!

congratulations!

-- In , " Craig Dearth " <cd39@e...> wrote:

> Congrats Anne

> and all the best

> Craig

>

>

> my good news

>

>

>

> Hi all,

>

> I found out last week that I got accepted into a master's program at

> Southern Connecticut State University, which was my first choice of

the

> schools I applied to. I'm still waiting to hear from the financial

aid

> office to see if I can actually borrow enough money to go back to

school. I

> really want to go to this school, but have decided to wait to hear

from

> University of Tennessee before I make up my mind. I'd much rather

live in

> New Haven, but the rent in Knoxville is about a third what it is in

CT. I

> have to do some more research and figure out my finances before I

make a

> final decision. Like what kind of public transportation New Haven

has,

> because at $800 - 900 a month for a studio, I won't be able to

afford to

> keep my car. And I need to keep my disability benefits for another

> years - that will cover rent but not much else, so I may have to

get a part

> time job. I'm not sure I can handle both full time school and a

part time

> job (I haven't worked full time since June 2002 due to my health.)

But this

> is a really great opportunity to start a new career and I'm really

flattered

> that I got accepted at this school because I scored much lower on

the

> written portion of the GRE than they usually require of admitees.

I had to

> send two writing samples to prove I actually can write, but

apparently it

> worked!

>

> Love,

> Anna

>

>

> Anna Blaine

> anna333@e...

> Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

Guest guest

Well done Anna - I hope it all goes well.

Jo

Hi all,

Love,

Anna

Anna Blaine

anna333

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Congrats Anna!

And don't worry, I am sure it will all work out in the end.

Nikki :)

, " Anna Blaine " <anna333@e...>

wrote:

> Hi all,

>

> I found out last week that I got accepted into a master's program

at Southern Connecticut State University, which was my first choice

of the schools I applied to. I'm still waiting to hear from the

financial aid office to see if I can actually borrow enough money to

go back to school. I really want to go to this school, but have

decided to wait to hear from University of Tennessee before I make

up my mind. I'd much rather live in New Haven, but the rent in

Knoxville is about a third what it is in CT. I have to do some more

research and figure out my finances before I make a final decision.

Like what kind of public transportation New Haven has, because at

$800 - 900 a month for a studio, I won't be able to afford to keep

my car. And I need to keep my disability benefits for another 2

years - that will cover rent but not much else, so I may have to get

a part time job. I'm not sure I can handle both full time school

and a part time job (I haven't worked full time since June 2002 due

to my health.) But this is a really great opportunity to start a

new career and I'm really flattered that I got accepted at this

school because I scored much lower on the written portion of the GRE

than they usually require of admitees. I had to send two writing

samples to prove I actually can write, but apparently it worked!

>

> Love,

> Anna

>

>

> Anna Blaine

> anna333@e...

> Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

Guest guest

Thanks, Anouk and Craig.

Love,

Anna

> [Original Message]

> Anouk Sickler <zurumato

>

> 5/21/2005 12:46:13 AM

> Re: my good news

>

> Go Anne!

> congratulations!

>

>

> -- In , " Craig Dearth " <cd39@e...> wrote:

> > Congrats Anne

> > and all the best

> > Craig

> >

> >

> > my good news

> >

> >

> >

> > Hi all,

> >

> > I found out last week that I got accepted into a master's program at

> > Southern Connecticut State University, which was my first choice of

> the

> > schools I applied to. I'm still waiting to hear from the financial

> aid

> > office to see if I can actually borrow enough money to go back to

> school. I

> > really want to go to this school, but have decided to wait to hear

> from

> > University of Tennessee before I make up my mind. I'd much rather

> live in

> > New Haven, but the rent in Knoxville is about a third what it is in

> CT. I

> > have to do some more research and figure out my finances before I

> make a

> > final decision. Like what kind of public transportation New Haven

> has,

> > because at $800 - 900 a month for a studio, I won't be able to

> afford to

> > keep my car. And I need to keep my disability benefits for another

> 2

> > years - that will cover rent but not much else, so I may have to

> get a part

> > time job. I'm not sure I can handle both full time school and a

> part time

> > job (I haven't worked full time since June 2002 due to my health.)

> But this

> > is a really great opportunity to start a new career and I'm really

> flattered

> > that I got accepted at this school because I scored much lower on

> the

> > written portion of the GRE than they usually require of admitees.

> I had to

> > send two writing samples to prove I actually can write, but

> apparently it

> > worked!

> >

> > Love,

> > Anna

> >

> >

> > Anna Blaine

> > anna333@e...

> > Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Thanks, Jo.

Love,

Anna

-

Jo Cwazy

5/21/2005 2:04:40 AM

Re: my good news

Well done Anna - I hope it all goes well.

Jo

Hi all,

Love,

Anna

Anna Blaine

anna333

To send an email to - To send an email to -

Guest guest

Thanks, Nikki.

Love,

Anna

> [Original Message]

> nikki_mackovitch <nikkimack

>

> 5/21/2005 7:14:10 AM

> Re: my good news

>

> Congrats Anna!

>

> And don't worry, I am sure it will all work out in the end.

>

> Nikki :)

>

>

> , " Anna Blaine " <anna333@e...>

> wrote:

> > Hi all,

> >

> > I found out last week that I got accepted into a master's program

> at Southern Connecticut State University, which was my first choice

> of the schools I applied to. I'm still waiting to hear from the

> financial aid office to see if I can actually borrow enough money to

> go back to school. I really want to go to this school, but have

> decided to wait to hear from University of Tennessee before I make

> up my mind. I'd much rather live in New Haven, but the rent in

> Knoxville is about a third what it is in CT. I have to do some more

> research and figure out my finances before I make a final decision.

> Like what kind of public transportation New Haven has, because at

> $800 - 900 a month for a studio, I won't be able to afford to keep

> my car. And I need to keep my disability benefits for another 2

> years - that will cover rent but not much else, so I may have to get

> a part time job. I'm not sure I can handle both full time school

> and a part time job (I haven't worked full time since June 2002 due

> to my health.) But this is a really great opportunity to start a

> new career and I'm really flattered that I got accepted at this

> school because I scored much lower on the written portion of the GRE

> than they usually require of admitees. I had to send two writing

> samples to prove I actually can write, but apparently it worked!

> >

> > Love,

> > Anna

> >

> >

> > Anna Blaine

> > anna333@e...

> > Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

depends were you are in Ca.

my rent is $1380/month fer the tiniest place i've ever lived

as fer New Haven...i left back in 1985, but, back then, public transportation was pretty hideous

again, this was a loooooooooong time ago

cheers

fraggle Lynda May 20, 2005 9:23 PM Re: my good news

Of course, I am shell shocked over the price of studio apartments. In Arcata (Humboldt State University), the studios next to the campus run $385/mo with all utilities paid. I thought rents were higher in CA than in any other state. Guess not.

Lynda

-

Anna Blaine

my good news

Hi all,

Love,

Anna

Anna Blaine

anna333

Guest guest

but you aren't a student, or are you? Cause I really don't know what folks are doing on this list.

Most of the colleges have housing around them just for the students. HSU does. Sonoma State does. Chico does. San Luis Obispo does. Even at Sonoma State you can get a studio/bed-sitter as a college student at the places next to the campus for way less than the going rate for the rest of us folks.

Well, I know the same is true around Cornell and Loyola, at least back in '89 and the early 90s when I got invites to attend. I guess I just figured most colleges had some sort of arrangement for students.

Lynda

-

fraggle

Monday, May 23, 2005 10:37 AM

as fer New Haven...i left back in 1985, but, back then, public transportation was pretty hideous

cheers

Lynda

-

Anna Blaine

my good news

Hi all,

Love,

Anna

Anna Blaine

anna333

Guest guest

I remember the last time that I browsed scholarship catalogues I didn't qualify for any of them, but that was several years ago. The first thing I need to do is contact SCSU and see if they even got my FAFSA - I've been notified by other schools I applied to that they got it but nothing from the school I actually want to go to.

Love,

Anna

-

Lynda

5/23/2005 11:23:08 AM

Anna, every college has a financial aid office and in that office is row upon row of binders with grants and scholarships. If possible, go spend some time there. You'd be amazed at the number of grants and scholarships that never get awarded. Some of them don't even require info on grade point averages.

When I returned to college I was advised to do this and made enough money for college plus enough money to live on from the scholarships and grants alone. Some weren't very big but when you added them all together I was getting $1200 a month more than my expenses.

And some of the requirements are absolutely beyond simple to qualify for. One scholarship required that you take and pass a physical science class in high school. That was a no brainer. Another scholarship only require that neither of my parents had graduated from a 4 year college. That one paid $2000 a semester.

Also, apply for the work study programs part of the Pell Grants. A lot of those jobs rarely require much work but you get paid for showing up. One of my jobs only required that I be available if someone had a question (in two years only had about a dozen questions) and I did homework. that was fine with the boss.

Lynda

-

Anna Blaine

my good news

Hi all,

Love,

Anna

Anna Blaine

anna333

Guest guest

SCSU has student housing, but they don't allow pets and don't have any studios. It's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to my mental health that I live alone and keep my cats. I've had roommates before and they always seem to make my life a living hell. One was a complete slob who would leave her used dental floss on the coffee table and lectured me whenever I stayed out all night with a date telling me how if I slept with him I'd have to marry him. Then there was the one who never cooked so she couldn't figure out how I managed to make such a mess when I did (when I cook I cook from scratch.) So if I left as much as one crumb on the kitchen counter she'd leave me a nasty passive-aggressive note about keeping the place clean. And she was a relationsip addict whose boyfriend treated her like garbage and she cried and moaned about him 24 hours a day but never considered dumping him. Being around people like that drives me up the wall. Cats make much better roommates - they don't leave dirty dishes in the sink for two weeks but don't leave nasty notes if I leave them there for one day.

L:ove,

Anna

-

Lynda

5/24/2005 2:35:36 PM

but you aren't a student, or are you? Cause I really don't know what folks are doing on this list.

Most of the colleges have housing around them just for the students. HSU does. Sonoma State does. Chico does. San Luis Obispo does. Even at Sonoma State you can get a studio/bed-sitter as a college student at the places next to the campus for way less than the going rate for the rest of us folks.

Well, I know the same is true around Cornell and Loyola, at least back in '89 and the early 90s when I got invites to attend. I guess I just figured most colleges had some sort of arrangement for students.

Lynda

-

fraggle

cheers

Lynda

-

Anna Blaine

my good news

Hi all,

Love,

Anna

Anna Blaine

anna333

Guest guest

Yuke! Used dental floss on the coffee table. Eeeeuuuuuuu!!!! That is grounds for justifiable homicide <g>

Lynda, who believes cats are much better people than most people!

-

Anna Blaine

Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:05 AM

SCSU has student housing, but they don't allow pets and don't have any studios. It's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to my mental health that I live alone and keep my cats. I've had roommates before and they always seem to make my life a living hell. One was a complete slob who would leave her used dental floss on the coffee table and lectured me whenever I stayed out all night with a date telling me how if I slept with him I'd have to marry him. Then there was the one who never cooked so she couldn't figure out how I managed to make such a mess when I did (when I cook I cook from scratch.) So if I left as much as one crumb on the kitchen counter she'd leave me a nasty passive-aggressive note about keeping the place clean. And she was a relationsip addict whose boyfriend treated her like garbage and she cried and moaned about him 24 hours a day but never considered dumping him. Being around people like that drives me up the wall . Cats make much better roommates - they don't leave dirty dishes in the sink for two weeks but don't leave nasty notes if I leave them there for one day.

Anna

-

Lynda

Lynda

-

fraggle

cheers

Lynda

-

Anna Blaine

my good news

Hi all,

Love,

Anna

Anna Blaine

anna333

Guest guest

This woman was a real trip. Her goal in life was to get married to a rich man and have tons of kids and never work outside the home, but the only time she EVER cleaned or cooked was when her boyfriend came over to visit. I guess she was trying to convince him what a good little wifey she would make. It kind of pissed me off that she was taking up a spot in our university's communications program instead of letting someone who might actually want to do something with the degree have it. She had no interest in her studies, she was just killing time until she found a husband. She was stunned when she found out I actually bought and read my major's assigned texts.

Love,

Anna

-

Lynda

5/26/2005 5:50:56 PM

Yuke! Used dental floss on the coffee table. Eeeeuuuuuuu!!!! That is grounds for justifiable homicide <g>

Lynda, who believes cats are much better people than most people!

-

Anna Blaine

Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:05 AM

SCSU has student housing, but they don't allow pets and don't have any studios. It's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to my mental health that I live alone and keep my cats. I've had roommates before and they always seem to make my life a living hell. One was a complete slob who would leave her used dental floss on the coffee table and lectured me whenever I stayed out all night with a date telling me how if I slept with him I'd have to marry him. Then there was the one who never cooked so she couldn't figure out how I managed to make such a mess when I did (when I cook I cook from scratch.) So if I left as much as one crumb on the kitchen counter she'd leave me a nasty passive-aggressive note about keeping the place clean. And she was a relationsip addict whose boyfriend treated her like garbage and she cried and moaned about him 24 hours a day but never considered dumping him. Being around people like that drives me up the wall . Cats make much better roommates - they don't leave dirty dishes in the sink for two weeks but don't leave nasty notes if I leave them there for one day.

Anna

-

Lynda

Lynda

-

fraggle

cheers

Lynda

-

Anna Blaine

my good news

Hi all,

Love,

Anna

Anna Blaine

anna333

Guest guest

Anna,

Cats dont leave dishes lying around?!?!?!? My lazy fluff balls do..........

not to mention the cats?!?!?!?!

The Valley Vegan........Anna Blaine <anna333 wrote:

SCSU has student housing, but they don't allow pets and don't have any studios. It's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to my mental health that I live alone and keep my cats. I've had roommates before and they always seem to make my life a living hell. One was a complete slob who would leave her used dental floss on the coffee table and lectured me whenever I stayed out all night with a date telling me how if I slept with him I'd have to marry him. Then there was the one who never cooked so she couldn't figure out how I managed to make such a mess when I did (when I cook I cook from scratch.) So if I left as much as one crumb on the kitchen counter she'd leave me a nasty passive-aggressive note about keeping the place clean. And she was a relationsip addict whose boyfriend treated her like garbage and she cried and moaned about him 24 hours a day but never considered dumping him. Being around people like that drives me up the wall.

Cats make much better roommates - they don't leave dirty dishes in the sink for two weeks but don't leave nasty notes if I leave them there for one day.

Anna

-

Lynda

Lynda

-

fraggle

cheers

Lynda

-

Anna Blaine

my good news

Hi all,

I found out last week that I got accepted into a master's program at Southern Connecticut State University, which was my first choice of the schools I applied to. I'm still waiting to hear from the financial aid office to see if I can actually borrow enough money to go back to school. I really want to go to this school, but have decided to wait to hear from University of Tennessee before I make up my mind. I'd much rather live in New Haven, but the rent in Knoxville is about a third what it is in CT. I have to do some more research and figure out my finances before I make a final decision. Like what kind of public transportation New Haven has, because at $800 - 900 a month for a studio, I won't be able to afford to keep my car. And I need to keep my disability benefits for another 2 years - that will cover rent but not much else, so I may have to get a part time job. I'm not sure I can handle both full time school and a part time job (I

haven't worked full time since June 2002 due to my health.) But this is a really great opportunity to start a new career and I'm really flattered that I got accepted at this school because I scored much lower on the written portion of the GRE than they usually require of admitees. I had to send two writing samples to prove I actually can write, but apparently it worked!

Love,

Anna

Anna Blaine

anna333