IndiaDivine.org

Gardening

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Copper tape is fine for pots, but not practical or financialy viable for a garden ( no matter how much old wire you strip down!). I mistakenly put down a mulch of cocoa shells under the impression that the blighters wouldnt like it. Unfortunately when wet it goes all soft, and starts to slowly rot - perfect for slugs, and since we have two types of weather here - wet and not so wet, they must giggling like mad! - still the plants will be happy before being devoured.

How green was my

The valley vegan..........Lynda <lurine wrote:

Welll, since you wouldn't use egg shells or diasomis (I never can spell that) earth, how about copper strips. They sell them here (kinda looks like tape) to keep them out of designated areas. And, good old beer works good.

Lynda, who used to live in the banana slug capital of the world <g>

-

peter hurd

Saturday, May 21, 2005 8:24 AM

Re: RE: Cholesterol

Craig,

I am so, so jealous having only a small back garden ( live in a terraced house ). I have just salivated over the libraries computer reading the list of things that you are growing, mind you , I expect the weathers a little bit different in the the Welsh Mountain valleys to sunny Oz? eh?

I like the sound of your insect repelant, dont think it would repel the hoardes of slugs and snails though.

Nice to have a snap shot of your garden , thanks mate!

The Valley Vegan........

Craig Dearth <cd39 wrote:

Hiya Peter,

I use a bull kelp extract from Tasmania mixed with Neem seed oil and Organic dish soap (as a wetting agent)

about 4 parts kelp 1 part Neem seed oil 1/2 part dish soap

the only other thing I use is lawn cuttings and Epson salts (we are have magnesium poor soil)

everything grows great

because of the coastal wether I live in (Perth Western Australia) we can grow many things year round

I try to plant early or late to make insect damage a small problem.

the Neem seed oil also makes a great surface spray on all plants to keep most garden pests away I do add a cap full of eucalyptus oil to the spray to help keep aphids away too.

right now I have garlic, jalapenos, eggplant, celery, radishes, parsnips, turnip, Swedes, basil, bush beans, beets, kohl rabi,

sweet potato, lettuce, rocket, a few tomatoes and tomatillos and about to plant pumpkins and melons

yum yum

all the best

Craig

Cholesterol

Hi Jo, what do you know?

I have to visit the quak on Thursday to discus my cholestrol level as they said it was too high, but wont discuss it on the phone or give me any idea as to what the level is without tying up the GP for 10-15 minutes. Even though I have family history of heart problems, I feel informed enough to know enough about the subject to act on it on my own, unless medication is needed. I have been a vegan for 15 years , vegie 5 before that, am 5`10, and 140 pounds, dont smoke, dont drink ( to excess), so I am not your typical target for this type of problem. I would rather they sort out my constant back problems, but that they cannot figure out!

Well there I go, its just me, me, me, me, me isnt it!

Who is growing what in the garden at the moment? I have just germinated some herbs ( coriander/chives & basil ), so will be pricking out and potting up in a week or so, and my dwarf French beans are just poking up through the soil. I have just given my garden a good mulch of compost from my heap ready for some more flowers to go in when they are big enough to take on the slugs and snails.

Does anyone know of a vegan plant food ( seaweed based maybe?)

The Valley Vegan...........Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Peter

With regard to the cholesterol, some is made in the liver - usually just the right amount as we need some cholesterol. This fact, of course, does not detract from the fact that we do need to be careful of the foods we eat so that we don't have too much of the wrong kind of cholesterol - hence why, if we were not vegan, and eating good quality margarine, we would need to be careful not to eat much butter or animal fat.

As you are vegan, your blood is likely to have a good profile, so you do not really have to make an effort to remember the ins and outs of cholesterol.

BBJoTo send an email to -

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos To send an email to - To send an email to - Peter H

Messenger

NEW - crystal clear PC to PC

calling worldwide with voicemail

Guest guest

be careful, cocoa mulch is dangerous to dogs peter hurd May 24, 2005 9:23 AM Re: RE: Gardening

Copper tape is fine for pots, but not practical or financialy viable for a garden ( no matter how much old wire you strip down!). I mistakenly put down a mulch of cocoa shells under the impression that the blighters wouldnt like it. Unfortunately when wet it goes all soft, and starts to slowly rot - perfect for slugs, and since we have two types of weather here - wet and not so wet, they must giggling like mad! - still the plants will be happy before being devoured.

How green was my

Welll, since you wouldn't use egg shells or diasomis (I never can spell that) earth, how about copper strips. They sell them here (kinda looks like tape) to keep them out of designated areas. And, good old beer works good.

-

peter hurd

Craig,

I am so, so jealous having only a small back garden ( live in a terraced house ). I have just salivated over the libraries computer reading the list of things that you are growing, mind you , I expect the weathers a little bit different in the the Welsh Mountain valleys to sunny Oz? eh?

I like the sound of your insect repelant, dont think it would repel the hoardes of slugs and snails though.

The Valley Vegan........

Hiya Peter,

I use a bull kelp extract from Tasmania mixed with Neem seed oil and Organic dish soap (as a wetting agent)

the only other thing I use is lawn cuttings and Epson salts (we are have magnesium poor soil)

everything grows great

because of the coastal wether I live in (Perth Western Australia) we can grow many things year round

the Neem seed oil also makes a great surface spray on all plants to keep most garden pests away I do add a cap full of eucalyptus oil to the spray to help keep aphids away too.

right now I have garlic, jalapenos, eggplant, celery, radishes, parsnips, turnip, Swedes, basil, bush beans, beets, kohl rabi,

sweet potato, lettuce, rocket, a few tomatoes and tomatillos and about to plant pumpkins and melons

yum yum

all the best

Craig

Cholesterol

Hi Jo, what do you know?

I have to visit the quak on Thursday to discus my cholestrol level as they said it was too high, but wont discuss it on the phone or give me any idea as to what the level is without tying up the GP for 10-15 minutes. Even though I have family history of heart problems, I feel informed enough to know enough about the subject to act on it on my own, unless medication is needed. I have been a vegan for 15 years , vegie 5 before that, am 5`10, and 140 pounds, dont smoke, dont drink ( to excess), so I am not your typical target for this type of problem. I would rather they sort out my constant back problems, but that they cannot figure out!

Who is growing what in the garden at the moment? I have just germinated some herbs ( coriander/chives & basil ), so will be pricking out and potting up in a week or so, and my dwarf French beans are just poking up through the soil. I have just given my garden a good mulch of compost from my heap ready for some more flowers to go in when they are big enough to take on the slugs and snails.

Hi Peter

With regard to the cholesterol, some is made in the liver - usually just the right amount as we need some cholesterol. This fact, of course, does not detract from the fact that we do need to be careful of the foods we eat so that we don't have too much of the wrong kind of cholesterol - hence why, if we were not vegan, and eating good quality margarine, we would need to be careful not to eat much butter or animal fat.

As you are vegan, your blood is likely to have a good profile, so you do not really have to make an effort to remember the ins and outs of cholesterol.

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos To send an email to - To send an email to -

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

Guest guest

Dont have doggies only cats, and the one has started to get the taste for it. Is it dangerous to felines?

The Valley Vegan......fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

be careful, cocoa mulch is dangerous to dogs peter hurd May 24, 2005 9:23 AM Re: RE: Gardening

How green was my

-

peter hurd

Craig,

The Valley Vegan........

Hiya Peter,

everything grows great

yum yum

all the best

Craig

Cholesterol

Hi Jo, what do you know?

Hi Peter

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos To send an email to - To send an email to -

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

Guest guest

apparantly from wot i had heard its mosttly a danger fer dogs

BUT, cats can have a problemto, and since everything i've read about it seems to stae dogs have aproblem because they LIKE the way it tastes(and dogs tend to eat anything anyways), i personally wouldn't risk it...

cover it with something...put down another layer of some other kind of mulch on it peter hurd May 28, 2005 6:47 AM Re: RE: Gardening

Dont have doggies only cats, and the one has started to get the taste for it. Is it dangerous to felines?

How green was my

-

peter hurd

Craig,

The Valley Vegan........

Hiya Peter,

everything grows great

yum yum

all the best

Craig

Cholesterol

Hi Jo, what do you know?

Hi Peter

Peter H

Peter H

Guest guest

I know that chocolate is deadly to dogs because of the caffeine.

Even a tiny piece can kill them. I am unsure if this is the same for

cats, but if you call your vet or local shelter they should be able

to answer that. Perhaps even the local garden center may know.

Nikki :)

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> apparantly from wot i had heard its mosttly a danger fer dogs

BUT, cats can have a problemto, and since everything i've read about

it seems to stae dogs have aproblem because they LIKE the way it

tastes(and dogs tend to eat anything anyways), i personally wouldn't

risk it...

cover it with something...put down another layer of some other kind

of mulch on it

peter hurd

May 28, 2005 6:47 AM

Re: RE: Gardening

Dont have doggies only cats, and the one has started to get the

taste for it. Is it dangerous to felines?

The Valley Vegan......

Guest guest

It's strange about dogs and chocolate. When I was a kid many years ago our

dog used to have as much chocolate as we did - he also pinched my grandma's

ice cream when she wasn't looking, and as a puppy we found him with his head

in my uncles pint of beer, lapping away quite merrily. He obviously wasn't

a health conscious dog :-)

Jo

> I know that chocolate is deadly to dogs because of the caffeine.

> Even a tiny piece can kill them. I am unsure if this is the same for

> cats, but if you call your vet or local shelter they should be able

> to answer that. Perhaps even the local garden center may know.

Guest guest

It isn't the caffeine that is the problem for dogs. It is the theobromine

combined with the caffeine. The levels in most common chocolates are :

Milk chocolate: 44 - 60 mgs/ounce

Unsweetened baking chocolate: 450 mg/oz

Cacao meal: 300 - 900 mg/oz

Cacao beans: 300 - 1200 mg/oz

Hot chocolate: 13 mg/oz

A lethal dose of theobromine is about 250 and 500 mgs/kg per 2.2 pounds of

body weight. So, it doesn't take much to poison a dog. Deaths have occured

with as little as a 1/2 oz of baking chocolate in small dogs.

BTW, those cocoa shells used in gardens and sometimes for lifestock bedding

have been toxic in horses and other lifestock.

Lynda

-

nikki_mackovitch <nikkimack

Sunday, May 29, 2005 6:50 AM

Re: Gardening

> I know that chocolate is deadly to dogs because of the caffeine.

> Even a tiny piece can kill them. I am unsure if this is the same for

> cats, but if you call your vet or local shelter they should be able

> to answer that. Perhaps even the local garden center may know.

>

> Nikki :)

>

>

> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> > apparantly from wot i had heard its mosttly a danger fer dogs

> BUT, cats can have a problemto, and since everything i've read about

> it seems to stae dogs have aproblem because they LIKE the way it

> tastes(and dogs tend to eat anything anyways), i personally wouldn't

> risk it...

> cover it with something...put down another layer of some other kind

> of mulch on it

>

>

>

> peter hurd

> May 28, 2005 6:47 AM

>

> Re: RE: Gardening

>

>

> Dont have doggies only cats, and the one has started to get the

> taste for it. Is it dangerous to felines?

>

> The Valley Vegan......

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

My dog was a Scottish Terrier - weighed about 12 lbs.

Jo

-

" Lynda " <lurine

Sunday, May 29, 2005 10:18 PM

Re: Re: Gardening

> It isn't the caffeine that is the problem for dogs. It is the theobromine

> combined with the caffeine. The levels in most common chocolates are :

>

> Milk chocolate: 44 - 60 mgs/ounce

> Unsweetened baking chocolate: 450 mg/oz

> Cacao meal: 300 - 900 mg/oz

> Cacao beans: 300 - 1200 mg/oz

> Hot chocolate: 13 mg/oz

>

> A lethal dose of theobromine is about 250 and 500 mgs/kg per 2.2 pounds of

> body weight. So, it doesn't take much to poison a dog. Deaths have

occured

> with as little as a 1/2 oz of baking chocolate in small dogs.

>

> BTW, those cocoa shells used in gardens and sometimes for lifestock

bedding

> have been toxic in horses and other lifestock.

>

> Lynda

> -

> nikki_mackovitch <nikkimack

>

> Sunday, May 29, 2005 6:50 AM

> Re: Gardening

>

>

> > I know that chocolate is deadly to dogs because of the caffeine.

> > Even a tiny piece can kill them. I am unsure if this is the same for

> > cats, but if you call your vet or local shelter they should be able

> > to answer that. Perhaps even the local garden center may know.

> >

> > Nikki :)

> >

> >

> > , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> > > apparantly from wot i had heard its mosttly a danger fer dogs

> > BUT, cats can have a problemto, and since everything i've read about

> > it seems to stae dogs have aproblem because they LIKE the way it

> > tastes(and dogs tend to eat anything anyways), i personally wouldn't

> > risk it...

> > cover it with something...put down another layer of some other kind

> > of mulch on it

> >

> >

> >

> > peter hurd

> > May 28, 2005 6:47 AM

> >

> > Re: RE: Gardening

> >

> >

> > Dont have doggies only cats, and the one has started to get the

> > taste for it. Is it dangerous to felines?

> >

> > The Valley Vegan......

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

Well, having raised dogs for umpteen zillion years, I'm not surprised. As

soon as there is a rule, one of the critters will break it <g> Hurricane

Cali was litterly run over twice (she ran in front of one car and it ran

over her and spit her out and under the wheel of another car) and only

suffered a minor break on one leg. She should be dead because the four

tires ran over her head, her abdomen, her hind leg and her pelvis. She now

chases frizbees and jumps over 4' in the air. The docs said she would

barely be able to walk. She also loves tomatoes which can also be deadly to

dogs.

I no longer put absolutes anywhere when it comes to 4 legged critters!

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy <heartwork

Sunday, May 29, 2005 3:17 PM

> My dog was a Scottish Terrier - weighed about 12 lbs.

>

> Jo

Guest guest

That sounds nasty! I'm glad she is okay.

Jo

-

" Lynda " <lurine

Monday, May 30, 2005 12:35 AM

> Well, having raised dogs for umpteen zillion years, I'm not surprised. As

> soon as there is a rule, one of the critters will break it <g> Hurricane

> Cali was litterly run over twice (she ran in front of one car and it ran

> over her and spit her out and under the wheel of another car) and only

> suffered a minor break on one leg. She should be dead because the four

> tires ran over her head, her abdomen, her hind leg and her pelvis. She

now

> chases frizbees and jumps over 4' in the air. The docs said she would

> barely be able to walk. She also loves tomatoes which can also be deadly

to

> dogs.

>

> I no longer put absolutes anywhere when it comes to 4 legged critters!

>

> Lynda

> -

> Jo Cwazy <heartwork

>

> Sunday, May 29, 2005 3:17 PM

> Re: Re: Gardening

>

>

> > My dog was a Scottish Terrier - weighed about 12 lbs.

> >

> > Jo

>

To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

When I was little ( many years ago ) we had a budgie that loved a sqaure of chocolate,........mind you, this was the same budgie that escaped on a regular basis, and layed over 40 eggs, and destroyed every one!

The Valley Vegan........Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

It's strange about dogs and chocolate. When I was a kid many years ago ourdog used to have as much chocolate as we did - he also pinched my grandma'sice cream when she wasn't looking, and as a puppy we found him with his headin my uncles pint of beer, lapping away quite merrily. He obviously wasn'ta health conscious dog :-)Jo> I know that chocolate is deadly to dogs because of the caffeine.> Even a tiny piece can kill them. I am unsure if this is the same for> cats, but if you call your vet or local shelter they should be able> to answer that. Perhaps even the local garden center may know.

Guest guest

Hi Frag,

Nothing left to mulch over with, although thinking about it, I have used it in other years and never found a stiff kitten in the garden yet! all the other cats just dont like the stuff, just my strange reject of a cat?

I do grow "cat grass" in pots for my old timer who rarely leaves my bed, she loves the stuff, although I have to ration here or she pukes everywhere!

Oh, and I found 12 snails on the underside of my Magnolia this morning, is that a record for one plant?

apparantly from wot i had heard its mosttly a danger fer dogs

BUT, cats can have a problemto, and since everything i've read about it seems to stae dogs have aproblem because they LIKE the way it tastes(and dogs tend to eat anything anyways), i personally wouldn't risk it...

cover it with something...put down another layer of some other kind of mulch on it peter hurd May 28, 2005 6:47 AM Re: RE: Gardening

How green was my

-

peter hurd

Craig,

The Valley Vegan........

Hiya Peter,

everything grows great

yum yum

all the best

Craig

Cholesterol

Hi Jo, what do you know?

Hi Peter

Peter H

Peter H

Guest guest

Your budgie sounds like she was a mad little characater. Our budgie didn't eat too many extras. He sometimes begged for toast if we were eating that but didn't really eat any cake or biscuit that was offered him. I don't think we ever offered him chocolate though.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:22 AM

When I was little ( many years ago ) we had a budgie that loved a sqaure of chocolate,........mind you, this was the same budgie that escaped on a regular basis, and layed over 40 eggs, and destroyed every one!

The Valley Vegan........Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

It's strange about dogs and chocolate. When I was a kid many years ago ourdog used to have as much chocolate as we did - he also pinched my grandma'sice cream when she wasn't looking, and as a puppy we found him with his headin my uncles pint of beer, lapping away quite merrily. He obviously wasn'ta health conscious dog :-)Jo> I know that chocolate is deadly to dogs because of the caffeine.> Even a tiny piece can kill them. I am unsure if this is the same for> cats, but if you call your vet or local shelter they should be able> to answer that. Perhaps even the local garden center may know.