IndiaDivine.org

seedless grapes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have always had the notion that these were unnatural and tried to

avoide them. Can someone give me an explanation for their existance.

Mary

Guest guest

depends on how you define "un natural"

in simple terms..seedless grapes are a mutation that have been propigated by humans...

they are a product of domestication

they are no more unnatural or natural then say, a chihuahua, a leghorn hen, or a red delicious apple( i speak of the brand, not the taste) Mary Minihane Jun 4, 2005 7:10 AM seedless grapes I have always had the notion that these were unnatural and tried to avoide them. Can someone give me an explanation for their existance.MaryTo send an email to -

Guest guest

There is documented history of raisens going back to at least 1490 B.C.

Thompson (Scot) immigrated to U.S. in 1876 and brought grapes which were

seedless which became known as the Thompson Seedless.

The ag class I took said that they probably developed due to a recessive

gene. Grapes are generally propogated by cuttings, so folks took the mutant

grapes and propogated them for the recessive gene of seedlessness (yeah,

probably not a word <g>).

As far as I can find there aren't any genetically altered grapes out there,

if that is the worry.

Lynda

-

Mary Minihane <minih

Saturday, June 04, 2005 7:10 AM

seedless grapes

> I have always had the notion that these were unnatural and tried to

> avoide them. Can someone give me an explanation for their existance.

> Mary

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

actually..i had read at one point the seedless grape he propagated came from upstate new york, and he grew them on his farm in sutter county california, and only one survived some sort of disaster..flood i think..heck..i can barely remember my passwords..something like that

anyways..whichever..same thing

as fer GMO grapes..i believe there are several test plots out there, and tons in the lab at the moment....one is inserting jellyfish genes into grapes so they glow, several others to work on diseases so you can grow grapes in places like..florida.... Lynda Jun 4, 2005 9:24 AM Re: seedless grapes There is documented history of raisens going back to at least 1490 B.C.Thompson (Scot) immigrated to U.S. in 1876 and brought grapes which wereseedless which became known as the Thompson Seedless.The ag class I took said that they probably developed due to a recessivegene. Grapes are generally propogated by cuttings, so folks took the mutantgrapes and propogated them for the recessive gene of seedlessness (yeah,probably not a word <g>).As far as I can find there aren't any genetically altered grapes out there,if that is the worry.Lynda-Mary Minihane <minihSaturday, June 04, 2005 7:10 AM seedless grapes> I have always had the notion that these were unnatural and tried to> avoide them. Can someone give me an explanation for their existance.> Mary>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Hi Mary

I don't know much about seedless grapes except I enjoy them more because you

don't get seeds stuck in your teeth.

Jo

-

" Mary Minihane " <minih

Saturday, June 04, 2005 3:10 PM

seedless grapes

> I have always had the notion that these were unnatural and tried to

> avoide them. Can someone give me an explanation for their existance.

> Mary

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

>and tons in the lab at the moment....one is inserting jellyfish

genes into grapes so they glow, several others to work on diseases so

>you can grow grapes in places like..florida....

I am the naive gardener he he.

several months ago, I ordered a bunch of little grape plants

(seedless and concord) from a catalog, they came in the mail and they

are growing very well.

However, It is 95 degrees here every single day, we don't get rain

for three months at a time, so I have to water them often.

Here is the catatlog I ordered from, but I'm sure there are others.

http://www.gurneys.com they have small little trees called Dwarfs ,

that give of fruits, ( for those people that live in apartments).

in nyc, where i used to live, some people would grow plants on the

roof and make ponds out of old bathtubs.

Today some live ladybeetles came in the mail :)

Guest guest

Pardon my lack of knowledge here but what are the live ladybeetles

for.

Mary

, " Anouk Sickler " <zurumato@e...>

wrote:

> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> >and tons in the lab at the moment....one is inserting jellyfish

> genes into grapes so they glow, several others to work on diseases

so

> >you can grow grapes in places like..florida....

>

>

> I am the naive gardener he he.

>

> several months ago, I ordered a bunch of little grape plants

> (seedless and concord) from a catalog, they came in the mail and

they

> are growing very well.

> However, It is 95 degrees here every single day, we don't get rain

> for three months at a time, so I have to water them often.

>

> Here is the catatlog I ordered from, but I'm sure there are others.

> http://www.gurneys.com they have small little trees called

Dwarfs ,

> that give of fruits, ( for those people that live in apartments).

>

> in nyc, where i used to live, some people would grow plants on the

> roof and make ponds out of old bathtubs.

>

> Today some live ladybeetles came in the mail :)

Guest guest

they eat aphids Mary Minihane Jun 6, 2005 6:24 PM Re: seedless grapes Pardon my lack of knowledge here but what are the live ladybeetles for.Mary , "Anouk Sickler" <zurumato@e...> wrote:> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> >and tons in the lab at the moment....one is inserting jellyfish > genes into grapes so they glow, several others to work on diseases so > >you can grow grapes in places like..florida....> > > I am the naive gardener he he.> > several months ago, I ordered a bunch of little grape plants > (seedless and concord) from a catalog, they came in the mail and they > are growing very well. > However, It is 95 degrees here every single day, we don't get rain > for three months at a time, so I have to water them often. > > Here is the catatlog I ordered from, but I'm sure there are others.> http://www.gurneys.com they have small little trees called Dwarfs , > that give of fruits, ( for those people that live in apartments). > > in nyc, where i used to live, some people would grow plants on the > roof and make ponds out of old bathtubs. > > Today some live ladybeetles came in the mail :)To send an email to -

Guest guest

I assume you mean ladybirds? why do you call insects, bugs?

My kids - who watch far too much American telly - pick this up. It is like SOOOOO anoying

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

The Valley Vegan..fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

they eat aphids Mary Minihane Jun 6, 2005 6:24 PM Re: seedless grapes Pardon my lack of knowledge here but what are the live ladybeetles for.Mary , "Anouk Sickler" <zurumato@e...> wrote:> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> >and tons in the lab at the moment....one is inserting jellyfish > genes into grapes so they glow, several others to work on diseases so > >you can grow grapes in places like..florida....> > > I am the naive gardener he he.> > several months ago, I ordered a bunch of little grape plants > (seedless and concord) from a catalog, they came in the mail and they > are growing very well. > However, It is

95 degrees here every single day, we don't get rain > for three months at a time, so I have to water them often. > > Here is the catatlog I ordered from, but I'm sure there are others.> http://www.gurneys.com they have small little trees called Dwarfs , > that give of fruits, ( for those people that live in apartments). > > in nyc, where i used to live, some people would grow plants on the > roof and make ponds out of old bathtubs. > > Today some live ladybeetles came in the mail :)To send an email to -

Guest guest

You folks across call em ladybird beetles...here they are called ladybugs peter hurd Jun 7, 2005 9:52 AM Re: Re: seedless grapes

My kids - who watch far too much American telly - pick this up. It is like SOOOOO anoying

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

they eat aphids Mary Minihane Jun 6, 2005 6:24 PM Re: seedless grapes Pardon my lack of knowledge here but what are the live ladybeetles for.Mary , "Anouk Sickler" <zurumato@e...> wrote:> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> >and tons in the lab at the moment....one is inserting jellyfish > genes into grapes so they glow, several others to work on diseases so > >you can grow grapes in places like..florida....> > > I am the naive gardener he he.> > several months ago, I ordered a bunch of little grape plants > (seedless and concord) from a catalog, they came in the mail and they > are growing very well. > However, It is 95 degrees here every single day, we don't get rain > for three months at a time, so I have to water them often. > > Here is the catatlog I ordered from, but I'm sure there are others.> http://www.gurneys.com they have small little trees called Dwarfs , > that give of fruits, ( for those people that live in apartments). > > in nyc, where i used to live, some people would grow plants on the > roof and make ponds out of old bathtubs. > > Today some live ladybeetles came in the mail :)To send an email to -

Guest guest

bug: 1) any of an order [Hemiptera] of insects with sucking mouthparts and with forewings thickened toward the based, as a water bug or squash bug: also called true bug; 2 any small arthropod, esp. if regarded as a pest, as a louse, cockroach or centipede.

The definition in slang has spread to include all insects.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:52 AM

Re: Re: seedless grapes

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

they eat aphids Mary Minihane Jun 6, 2005 6:24 PM Re: seedless grapes Pardon my lack of knowledge here but what are the live ladybeetles for.Mary , "Anouk Sickler" <zurumato@e...> wrote:> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> >and tons in the lab at the moment....one is inserting jellyfish > genes into grapes so they glow, several others to work on diseases so > >you can grow grapes in places like..florida....> > > I am the naive gardener he he.> > several months ago, I ordered a bunch of little grape plants > (seedless and concord) from a catalog, they came in the mail and they > are growing very well. > Howeve r, It is 95 degrees here every single day, we don't get rain > for three months at a time, so I have to water them often. > > Here is the catatlog I ordered from, but I'm sure there are others.> http://www.gurneys.com they have small little trees called Dwarfs , > that give of fruits, ( for those people that live in apartments). > > in nyc, where i used to live, some people would grow plants on the > roof and make ponds out of old bathtubs. > > Today some live ladybeetles came in the mail :)To send an email to -

Guest guest

When I first heard the word ladybugs I sort of thought they were maybugs - but I kow now.

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 6:06 PM

You folks across call em ladybird beetles...here they are called ladybugs peter hurd Jun 7, 2005 9:52 AM Re: Re: seedless grapes

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

they eat aphids Mary Minihane Jun 6, 2005 6:24 PM Re: seedless grapes Pardon my lack of knowledge here but what are the live ladybeetles for.Mary , "Anouk Sickler" <zurumato@e...> wrote:> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> >and tons in the lab at the moment....one is inserting jellyfish > genes into grapes so they glow, several others to work on diseases so > >you can grow grapes in places like..florida....> > > I am the naive gardener he he.> > several months ago, I ordered a bunch of little grape plants > (seedless and concord) from a catalog, they came in the mail and they > are growing very well. > Howeve r, It is 95 degrees here every single day, we don't get rain > for three months at a time, so I have to water them often. > > Here is the catatlog I ordered from, but I'm sure there are others.> http://www.gurneys.com they have small little trees called Dwarfs , > that give of fruits, ( for those people that live in apartments). > > in nyc, where i used to live, some people would grow plants on the > roof and make ponds out of old bathtubs. > > Today some live ladybeetles came in the mail :)To send an email to -

Guest guest

oh go learn how to spell

:)

color

Spell it !!!

COLOR!

hee hee hee Jo Cwazy Jun 7, 2005 11:57 AM Re: Re: seedless grapes

I don't want to upset anyone, but I often wonder why Americans say 'I could care less' when they are really meaning they could ~not~ care less. If you could care less it means you care some - if you could not care less - it means you don't give a damn, which is what is normally being inferred by the phrase.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 5:52 PM

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

Guest guest

wahahahaha

may bugs are june bugs here..er Cockchafers..but, i've never heard anyone ever call em that, only in books Jo Cwazy Jun 7, 2005 11:57 AM Re: Re: seedless grapes

When I first heard the word ladybugs I sort of thought they were maybugs - but I kow now.

Jo

-

fraggle

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

Guest guest

We call them maybugs but they are also here in June.

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:40 PM

wahahahaha

may bugs are june bugs here..er Cockchafers..but, i've never heard anyone ever call em that, only in books Jo Cwazy Jun 7, 2005 11:57 AM Re: Re: seedless grapes

Jo

-

fraggle

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

Guest guest

Oh yuke. Do you mean those HUGE things? We have them here and when they fly into a window you'd think someone threw a rock!

Lynda

-

fraggle

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 1:40 PM

wahahahaha

Jo

-

fraggle

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

Guest guest

then there are may flies......

june bugs use to be all summer long back east...slowly thrumping their poor little heads out against the front porch light

so, ever wonder if there's some moth trying to fly to reach the sun?

:) Jo Cwazy Jun 7, 2005 1:51 PM Re: Re: seedless grapes

We call them maybugs but they are also here in June.

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:40 PM

wahahahaha

Jo

-

fraggle

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

Guest guest

Hi Jo

> When I first heard the word ladybugs I sort of thought they were maybugs - but I kow now.

Mooo :-)

Or, to put it in English... I thought it was some small version of a VW beetle.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hmmm

i think we are thinkin of different insects

june bugs/Cockchafers are sorta beetles about the size of umm..a small cockroach..though bulkier

they do tend to be rather dense and can make one heck of a racket when they hit a screen Lynda Jun 7, 2005 1:53 PM Re: Re: seedless grapes

Oh yuke. Do you mean those HUGE things? We have them here and when they fly into a window you'd think someone threw a rock!

Lynda

-

fraggle

wahahahaha

Jo

-

fraggle

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

Guest guest

LOL! I shall have to type more slowly.

I like VW Beetles - particularly the old ones.

BBJo

-

Peter

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 10:23 PM

Hi Jo

> When I first heard the word ladybugs I sort of thought they were maybugs - but I kow now.

Mooo :-)

Or, to put it in English... I thought it was some small version of a VW beetle.

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

They are large, and slow and crash into everything. We always get them around our porch light. When I was a teenager - in the times of backcombed hair - one managed to get tangled in my hair - and I've been a scared of them eversince.

Jo

-

Lynda

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:53 PM

Lynda

-

fraggle

wahahahaha

Jo

-

fraggle

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

Guest guest

I think I'm thinking of the same one as Lynda. They are brown, about one and a half inches long, one inch wide, and they fly around quite slowly, looking like an injured plane trying to land, and they bump into everything.

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 11:08 PM

Hmmm

june bugs/Cockchafers are sorta beetles about the size of umm..a small cockroach..though bulkier

they do tend to be rather dense and can make one heck of a racket when they hit a screen Lynda Jun 7, 2005 1:53 PM Re: Re: seedless grapes

Lynda

-

fraggle

wahahahaha

Jo

-

fraggle

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

Guest guest

These things are a good 4+ inches long and about 1.5 - 2 inches wide. when they hit a screen they can't figure out how to get their feet unhooked. I seriously think we have bats up here that are smaller <g> and certainly smarter <<bg>>

Lynda

-

fraggle

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 3:08 PM

Hmmm

Lynda

-

fraggle

wahahahaha

Jo

-

fraggle

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....

Guest guest

wot color are they?

sounds almost like a pine beetle.... Lynda Jun 7, 2005 3:25 PM Re: Re: seedless grapes

These things are a good 4+ inches long and about 1.5 - 2 inches wide. when they hit a screen they can't figure out how to get their feet unhooked. I seriously think we have bats up here that are smaller <g> and certainly smarter <<bg>>

Lynda

-

fraggle

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 3:08 PM

Hmmm

Lynda

-

fraggle

wahahahaha

Jo

-

fraggle

WHATEVER!

My brain hurts....