IndiaDivine.org

Fw: WDDTY e-News - Special Alert - Ibuprofen: Fresh fears over painkillers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Special Alert - Ibuprofen: Fresh fears over painkillersEvery doctor knows there is a major risk of serious gastrointestinal problems with patients taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) as a painkiller, often to ease arthritis. They've also always thought that ibuprofen was a safer NSAID. But researchers from Nottingham University discovered this week that Ibuprofen is linked to a 24% increased risk of heart attack.This latest research comes hot on the heels of the withdrawal from sale last September of another NSAID, Vioxx, after it was discovered that the drug almost doubled the risk of heart attacks and stroke in people who had been taking it for 18 months.This comes as particularly bad news for all patients who had been taking Vioxx and subsequently transferred to Ibuprofen.Well, if you're one of them - or are unsure whether the painkillers you are taking fall into this category - then we strongly recommend you do some research on the subject.

Guest guest

I was told by my nephrologist (kidney doc) not to take any of the NSAIDs because they do kidney damage.

Lynda

-

Mary Minihane

Vegans_Ireland

Cc:

Friday, June 10, 2005 10:24 AM

Fw: WDDTY e-News - Special Alert - Ibuprofen: Fresh fears over painkillers

Special Alert - Ibuprofen: Fresh fears over painkillersEvery doctor knows there is a major risk of serious gastrointestinal problems with patients taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) as a painkiller, often to ease arthritis. They've also always thought that ibuprofen was a safer NSAID. But researchers from Nottingham University discovered this week that Ibuprofen is linked to a 24% increased risk of heart attack.This latest research comes hot on the heels of the withdrawal from sale last September of another NSAID, Vioxx, after it was discovered that the drug almost doubled the risk of heart attacks and stroke in people who had been taking it for 18 months.This comes as particularly bad news for all patients who had been taking Vioxx and subsequently transferred to Ibuprofen.Well, if you're one of them - or are unsure whether the painkillers you are taking fall into this category - then we strongly recommend you do some research on the subject. To send an email to -

Guest guest

I hardly ever take any painkillers and never Ibuprofen etc. My doctor

prescribed them when I had RSI, but I didn't take them. That was the

only suggestion they had. I went privately to an osteopath and have

been okay eversince.

Jo

, " Mary Minihane " <minih@g...> wrote:

>

> Special Alert - Ibuprofen: Fresh fears over painkillers

>

>

> Every doctor knows there is a major risk of serious gastrointestinal

problems with patients taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug

(NSAID) as a painkiller, often to ease arthritis. They've also always

thought that ibuprofen was a safer NSAID.

>

> But researchers from Nottingham University discovered this week that

Ibuprofen is linked to a 24% increased risk of heart attack.

>

> This latest research comes hot on the heels of the withdrawal from

sale last September of another NSAID, Vioxx, after it was discovered

that the drug almost doubled the risk of heart attacks and stroke in

people who had been taking it for 18 months.

>

> This comes as particularly bad news for all patients who had been

taking Vioxx and subsequently transferred to Ibuprofen.

>

> Well, if you're one of them - or are unsure whether the painkillers

you are taking fall into this category - then we strongly recommend

you do some research on the subject.

Guest guest

I have always refused to take pain killers, and my physiotherapist is now offering me acupuncture. If the pain gets much worse I will be taking him up on that.

The Valley Vegan.......heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

I hardly ever take any painkillers and never Ibuprofen etc. My doctorprescribed them when I had RSI, but I didn't take them. That was theonly suggestion they had. I went privately to an osteopath and havebeen okay eversince.Jo , "Mary Minihane" wrote:> > Special Alert - Ibuprofen: Fresh fears over painkillers> > > Every doctor knows there is a major risk of serious gastrointestinalproblems with patients taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug(NSAID) as a painkiller, often to ease arthritis. They've also alwaysthought that ibuprofen was a safer NSAID. > > But researchers from Nottingham University discovered this week thatIbuprofen is linked to a 24% increased risk of heart attack.> > This latest research comes hot on the heels of

the withdrawal fromsale last September of another NSAID, Vioxx, after it was discoveredthat the drug almost doubled the risk of heart attacks and stroke inpeople who had been taking it for 18 months.> > This comes as particularly bad news for all patients who had beentaking Vioxx and subsequently transferred to Ibuprofen.> > Well, if you're one of them - or are unsure whether the painkillersyou are taking fall into this category - then we strongly recommendyou do some research on the subject.To send an email to -