IndiaDivine.org

New Thread - Vitamin & mineral suppliments

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I recently had a B12/Foliate blood test and despite being a vegan for 15 years and never having taken suppliments over any prolonged period of time ( I once took some multivitamins for a week, but they made my urine a bright yellow-which made me think that whatever was in them wasnt required and was going straight through my system), my level came back as within normal limits.

This made me look at some of the commercially available suppliments available, and all of them exceed the RDA% - sometimes by 1000%!!! this can`t be healthy can it?

I understand that the daily requirement for B12 is 10 Microgrammes a day? yet the three suppliments that I looked at had up to 500?!!

Large doses of vitamin A are also dangerous over a prolonged period, yet they are still in some mutivitamins at high levels, and people swear by them.

I still maintain that you can get all your body needs by eating a varied vegan diet , and using soya milks , margarine etc which are fortified with B12.

Anyone with any scientific knowledge out there? who can clarify the B12 business once and for all?

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Messenger

NEW - crystal clear PC to PC

calling worldwide with voicemail

Guest guest

I only started taking B12 a few months ago. I read some stuf that

said that one of the effects of being low is a bad memory and that

it is irreversable so I paniced as I consider my short term memory

to be bad so I decided to play safe. I have been taking a multivit

for years. My husband's brother is in haemotology and he does a

blood test for us every year and gives it an extra vigourous going

over and about 2 years ago he told me that my foliate was low but

neither of us associated it with veganism at the time. I am going to

continue to play safe because it is not worth the risk. I agree that

there is a possibility that we are overdoing it

Mary

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> I recently had a B12/Foliate blood test and despite being a vegan

for 15 years and never having taken suppliments over any prolonged

period of time ( I once took some multivitamins for a week, but they

made my urine a bright yellow-which made me think that whatever was

in them wasnt required and was going straight through my system), my

level came back as within normal limits.

> This made me look at some of the commercially available

suppliments available, and all of them exceed the RDA% - sometimes

by 1000%!!! this can`t be healthy can it?

> I understand that the daily requirement for B12 is 10 Microgrammes

a day? yet the three suppliments that I looked at had up to 500?!!

> Large doses of vitamin A are also dangerous over a prolonged

period, yet they are still in some mutivitamins at high levels, and

people swear by them.

> I still maintain that you can get all your body needs by eating a

varied vegan diet , and using soya milks , margarine etc which are

fortified with B12.

>

> Anyone with any scientific knowledge out there? who can clarify

the B12 business once and for all?

>

> The Valley Vegan........

>

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PCcalling worldwide

with voicemail

Guest guest

I should also point out that I overdid it on the side of being

natural and so was not getting any fortified foods. I only bought my

first container of vegan margarine about 3 months ago.

Mary

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> I recently had a B12/Foliate blood test and despite being a vegan

for 15 years and never having taken suppliments over any prolonged

period of time ( I once took some multivitamins for a week, but they

made my urine a bright yellow-which made me think that whatever was

in them wasnt required and was going straight through my system), my

level came back as within normal limits.

> This made me look at some of the commercially available

suppliments available, and all of them exceed the RDA% - sometimes

by 1000%!!! this can`t be healthy can it?

> I understand that the daily requirement for B12 is 10 Microgrammes

a day? yet the three suppliments that I looked at had up to 500?!!

> Large doses of vitamin A are also dangerous over a prolonged

period, yet they are still in some mutivitamins at high levels, and

people swear by them.

> I still maintain that you can get all your body needs by eating a

varied vegan diet , and using soya milks , margarine etc which are

fortified with B12.

>

> Anyone with any scientific knowledge out there? who can clarify

the B12 business once and for all?

>

> The Valley Vegan........

>

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PCcalling worldwide

with voicemail

Guest guest

Peter

I have not yet seen a vegan supplement with vitamin A included. The RDA for B12 is the amount recommended so that you don't get pernicious anaemia. It is now known that if you have a lot more than the RDA you will not have high homocysteine levels, and will not be so susceptible to heart trouble. When looking at life expectancies, vegetarians lived the longest, vegans the next longest and meat-eaters came a poor third. It is reckoned that if vegans have a good supply of B12, sufficient to keep the homocysteine levels down they will live longer than vegetarians.

Recommended Daily Allowances were devised to state the minimum of any nutrient to stop the manifestation of the disease that is caused by a complete lack of a nutrient - that is all. The minimum necessary for this does not equate with what is necessary for excellent health.

Jo

I recently had a B12/Foliate blood test and despite being a vegan for 15 years and never having taken suppliments over any prolonged period of time ( I once took some multivitamins for a week, but they made my urine a bright yellow-which made me think that whatever was in them wasnt required and was going straight through my system), my level came back as within normal limits.

This made me look at some of the commercially available suppliments available, and all of them exceed the RDA% - sometimes by 1000%!!! this can`t be healthy can it?

I understand that the daily requirement for B12 is 10 Microgrammes a day? yet the three suppliments that I looked at had up to 500?!!

Large doses of vitamin A are also dangerous over a prolonged period, yet they are still in some mutivitamins at high levels, and people swear by them.

I still maintain that you can get all your body needs by eating a varied vegan diet , and using soya milks , margarine etc which are fortified with B12.

Anyone with any scientific knowledge out there? who can clarify the B12 business once and for all?

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

Guest guest

Good idea Mary.

Jo

> I only started taking B12 a few months ago. I read some stuf that

> said that one of the effects of being low is a bad memory and that

> it is irreversable so I paniced as I consider my short term memory

> to be bad so I decided to play safe. I have been taking a multivit

> for years. My husband's brother is in haemotology and he does a

> blood test for us every year and gives it an extra vigourous going

> over and about 2 years ago he told me that my foliate was low but

> neither of us associated it with veganism at the time. I am going to

> continue to play safe because it is not worth the risk. I agree that

> there is a possibility that we are overdoing it

> Mary

>

> , peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> > I recently had a B12/Foliate blood test and despite being a vegan

> for 15 years and never having taken suppliments over any prolonged

> period of time ( I once took some multivitamins for a week, but they

> made my urine a bright yellow-which made me think that whatever was

> in them wasnt required and was going straight through my system), my

> level came back as within normal limits.

> > This made me look at some of the commercially available

> suppliments available, and all of them exceed the RDA% - sometimes

> by 1000%!!! this can`t be healthy can it?

> > I understand that the daily requirement for B12 is 10 Microgrammes

> a day? yet the three suppliments that I looked at had up to 500?!!

> > Large doses of vitamin A are also dangerous over a prolonged

> period, yet they are still in some mutivitamins at high levels, and

> people swear by them.

> > I still maintain that you can get all your body needs by eating a

> varied vegan diet , and using soya milks , margarine etc which are

> fortified with B12.

> >

> > Anyone with any scientific knowledge out there? who can clarify

> the B12 business once and for all?

> >

> > The Valley Vegan........

> >

> >

> >

> > Peter H

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PCcalling worldwide

> with voicemail

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Jo,

Yes, but why the high ammounts?, isnt B12 one of the ones that the body cant store?, I saw another pill today that had 850 microgrammes in it! why do they put so much in them, surely the body will have to purge itself of the excess?

Still confused,

The Valley Vegan......Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Peter

I have not yet seen a vegan supplement with vitamin A included. The RDA for B12 is the amount recommended so that you don't get pernicious anaemia. It is now known that if you have a lot more than the RDA you will not have high homocysteine levels, and will not be so susceptible to heart trouble. When looking at life expectancies, vegetarians lived the longest, vegans the next longest and meat-eaters came a poor third. It is reckoned that if vegans have a good supply of B12, sufficient to keep the homocysteine levels down they will live longer than vegetarians.

Recommended Daily Allowances were devised to state the minimum of any nutrient to stop the manifestation of the disease that is caused by a complete lack of a nutrient - that is all. The minimum necessary for this does not equate with what is necessary for excellent health.

Jo

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to - To send an email to - Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Guest guest

a small amount of B12 is stored in the liver and elsewhere..

just not in fatty tissues

it is also readily reabsorbed from the bile peter hurd Jun 21, 2005 9:34 AM Re: New Thread - Vitamin & mineral suppliments

Jo,

Yes, but why the high ammounts?, isnt B12 one of the ones that the body cant store?, I saw another pill today that had 850 microgrammes in it! why do they put so much in them, surely the body will have to purge itself of the excess?

Still confused,

Peter

Jo

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to - To send an email to -

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos To send an email to -

Guest guest

WHAT? Even in your liver?

The Valley Vegan.........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

it is also readily reabsorbed from the bile peter hurd Jun 21, 2005 9:34 AM Re: New Thread - Vitamin & mineral suppliments

Jo,

Still confused,

Peter

Jo

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to - To send an email to -

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos To send an email to -

Guest guest

a small amount

something like 2-6 milligrams

er something like that

i'd have to look it up peter hurd Jun 21, 2005 10:05 AM Re: New Thread - Vitamin & mineral suppliments

WHAT? Even in your liver?

The Valley Vegan.........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Jo,

Still confused,

Peter

Jo

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I can't remember properly. I think that the body doesn't assimilate it too easily, and needs to have a lot because of that. It is water soluble so isn't stored much. I'll have to look it up in my books.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 5:34 PM

Re: New Thread - Vitamin & mineral suppliments

Jo,

Still confused,

Peter

Jo

The Valley Vegan........

Peter H

Peter H