IndiaDivine.org

protests

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I remember the late 60's and 70's here in the States where we protested and lived in communes and thought we were doing something that would go on forever. I mean, it was the proper thing to do so why shouldn't it go on forever? Even before we got old and required more medical attention that lifestyle popped like a pretty soap bubble. I sometimes wonder what we really accomplished now that I rest on convention, am buying my own piece of the pie, and desperately need what police protection I can get. I digest history books with such delight (and cross reference) that it takes me some time to get through them and in splendid moments I can sometimes see the whole evolution of civilization. All that time I spent protesting and being nomadic could have been spent doing exactly what I'm doing now. Anymore, I can't relish wasting one moment. Also I've come to realize that the only space I can control is within my own emotional being and that if I really want to make a contribution I'll have to (gasp) try for public office. On another historical note I have to wonder, Peter, if you thought about what William (Wallace) might have thought about your camp? At least you didn't loose your (I won't say it and offend anyone) for your vision of freedom.

Guest guest

Hi Larry

> I remember the late 60's and 70's here in the States where we protested and lived in communes and thought we were doing

> something that would go on forever.

It still is going on... the camp in the UK was aided considerably by people from the US who have been doing this sort of thing since the 60s and 70s, and are still doing it now... they just now recognise that it's become a bit more global than it was back then.

> I mean, it was the proper thing to do so why shouldn't it go on forever? Even before we got old and required more medical

> attention that lifestyle popped like a pretty soap bubble.

I'd be intrigued as to why you feel this, and I'm not quite sure what medical attention has to do with it, doctors aren't somehow tied into the Capitalist society - they can exist in other sorts of society as well!

> I sometimes wonder what we really accomplished now that I rest on convention, am buying my own piece of the pie, and

> desperately need what police protection I can get.

I obviously don't know which particular protests you were involved in, but what the protest movement of the 60s and 70s achieved was setting up the basis on which protest can work without having to rely on the system we currently live in. It also achieved several victories in the US, not least of which was the end of the Vietnam war. In more modern protests working on the same lines, unneccesary destruction of the environment for roads and buildings have been averted... and, of course, the whole ecological way of living means less pollution of our planet, and the possibility that there might still be a planet for future generations to live on. I'd say that was a fair amount of success... just because we haven't won every battle, doesn't mean that we haven't done any good.

I think it's a shame that you view the period of life where you contributed to that to not have achieved much, as I consider it to have achieved a great deal.

> I digest history books with such delight (and cross reference) that it takes me some time to get through them and in splendid

> moments I can sometimes see the whole evolution of civilization. All that time I spent protesting and being nomadic could have

> been spent doing exactly what I'm doing now.

It could have been... but then what would you have contributed to the world? Instead of contributing hope, you'd have just bought into the "standard" way of living which does so much harm to the world we live in... I would much rather look back and say that I did something that wasn't as successful as I hoped, than I would to look back and say that I never bothered and never attempted to contribute to improving the world.

> On another historical note I have to wonder, Peter, if you thought about what William (Wallace) might have thought about your

> camp? At least you didn't loose your (I won't say it and offend anyone) for your vision of freedom.

I don't know a great deal about that period of Scottish history... for what it's worth, we were camped in sight of the Wallace monument (which actually looks remarkably like the tower from Krull). From what little I know of Wallace, he was a hero of the Scottish army at a time when they were at war with England (when weren't they???)... as such, he presumably bought into the idea of nation states (otherwise, why would you fight for one?), and he was the son of a knight, so I doubt that he would have been too keen on the ideas of politics by concensus, non-violent protest, equality for all. I have no idea what he would have thought about the environmental aspects, but since this has only really become an issue since the industrial revolution, it seems a little irrelevant. All in all, I don't think Wallace would have approved... but then we've changed the world a lot since Wallace was alive, and I hope we'll be able to change it a little bit more.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Larry

I guess that when you try to achieve something, you achieve more than you do when you don't try.

In England, women got the vote because of the suffragettes, and the men who supported their ideals, campaigning.

When Peter lived at home, there was a local council idea to increase the speed limit outside our home from 30 to 40 mph. We live between two villages and the thought was that if they put the speed up between villages it would be more noticeable that there was a 30 mph limit when you reached the village either side. Sounds okay, but the drive that serves the six houses where I live opens at a right angle to this road, and it is difficult enough to pull out when cars are doing 30 along the short section of straight road. Anyway, Peter decided we should do something - so we went around the village and collected signatures of people who were against the idea, and Peter called for a public meeting - which took place in the village hall, with councillors, county councillors and traffic police superintendents etc. present. Peter won the day, and the speed limit did not increase.

Where we live there a some small lanes which go from the villages to the nearest town. They have been used for horses, carts and then cars for over 120 years. Over the last couple of decades rich people have bought up properties, and decided they didn't want the riff-raff going along 'their' roads. Once again there was a public meeting, and much campaigning, and the lanes remain open to us lesser mortals.

Sometimes with more large scale wrongs, it appears that nothing is happening, but it does have an effect. Fox hunting has been banned here after decades of campaigning and demonstration. Admittedly it will carry on illegally for a few years, but it will stop. People are now campaigning for an end to angling. Although it appears to have no effect due to too much opposition - it will happen eventually - may 80 to 100 years time.

I remember the way black people were treated in the States until the 60s (?). Campaigning helped change things.

The Greenham Common women had a certain amount of success.

If I actually started thinking, I reckon there would be lots of things that have been changed by campaigning and demonstrating.

Don't forget, the world leaders who care nothing for us, thrive on apathy.

Jo

-

Larry Kelley

Saturday, July 09, 2005 9:59 PM

protests

I remember the late 60's and 70's here in the States where we protested and lived in communes and thought we were doing something that would go on forever. I mean, it was the proper thing to do so why shouldn't it go on forever? Even before we got old and required more medical attention that lifestyle popped like a pretty soap bubble. I sometimes wonder what we really accomplished now that I rest on convention, am buying my own piece of the pie, and desperately need what police protection I can get. I digest history books with such delight (and cross reference) that it takes me some time to get through them and in splendid moments I can sometimes see the whole evolution of civilization. All that time I spent protesting and being nomadic could have been spent doing exactly what I'm doing now. Anymore, I can't relish wasting one moment. Also I've come to realize that the only space I can control is within my own emotional being and that if I really want to make a contribution I'll have to (gasp) try for public office. On another historical note I have to wonder, Peter, if you thought about what William (Wallace) might have thought about your camp? At least you didn't loose your (I won't say it and offend anyone) for your vision of freedom.To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Locally, there was the Stringers Common victory - and Stringers Common is still there, unharmed :-)

BBJo

I obviously don't know which particular protests you were involved in, but what the protest movement of the 60s and 70s achieved was setting up the basis on which protest can work without having to rely on the system we currently live in. It also achieved several victories in the US, not least of which was the end of the Vietnam war. In more modern protests working on the same lines, unneccesary destruction of the environment for roads and buildings have been averted... and, of course, the whole ecological way of living means less pollution of our planet, and the possibility that there might still be a planet for future generations to live on. I'd say that was a fair amount of success... just because we haven't won every battle, doesn't mean that we haven't done any good.

Guest guest

wot do you mean "were"....?

while it might not be as blatant in certain situations, there is still a whole ton of racism over har..both overt and subconscious...

and hades forbid if you happen to like members of the same sex as you Jo Cwazy Jul 9, 2005 3:09 PM Re: protests

I remember the way black people were treated in the States until the 60s (?). Campaigning helped change things.

If I actually started thinking, I reckon there would be lots of things that have been changed by campaigning and demonstrating.

Jo

"God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him."

Guest guest

I heard that they are trying to turn Greenham Common into heathland now and have seeded the area with heather, and have set up homes for bats in the hangers etc. Come on Mother Nature!

The Valley Vegan........Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Larry

I guess that when you try to achieve something, you achieve more than you do when you don't try.

In England, women got the vote because of the suffragettes, and the men who supported their ideals, campaigning.

When Peter lived at home, there was a local council idea to increase the speed limit outside our home from 30 to 40 mph. We live between two villages and the thought was that if they put the speed up between villages it would be more noticeable that there was a 30 mph limit when you reached the village either side. Sounds okay, but the drive that serves the six houses where I live opens at a right angle to this road, and it is difficult enough to pull out when cars are doing 30 along the short section of straight road. Anyway, Peter decided we should do something - so we went around the village and collected signatures of people who were against the idea, and Peter called for a public meeting - which took place in the village hall, with councillors, county councillors and traffic police superintendents etc. present. Peter won the day, and the speed limit did not increase.

Where we live there a some small lanes which go from the villages to the nearest town. They have been used for horses, carts and then cars for over 120 years. Over the last couple of decades rich people have bought up properties, and decided they didn't want the riff-raff going along 'their' roads. Once again there was a public meeting, and much campaigning, and the lanes remain open to us lesser mortals.

Sometimes with more large scale wrongs, it appears that nothing is happening, but it does have an effect. Fox hunting has been banned here after decades of campaigning and demonstration. Admittedly it will carry on illegally for a few years, but it will stop. People are now campaigning for an end to angling. Although it appears to have no effect due to too much opposition - it will happen eventually - may 80 to 100 years time.

Jo

-

Larry Kelley

protests

I remember the late 60's and 70's here in the States where we protested and lived in communes and thought we were doing something that would go on forever. I mean, it was the proper thing to do so why shouldn't it go on forever? Even before we got old and required more medical attention that lifestyle popped like a pretty soap bubble. I sometimes wonder what we really accomplished now that I rest on convention, am buying my own piece of the pie, and desperately need what police protection I can get. I digest history books with such delight (and cross reference) that it takes me some time to get through them and in splendid moments I can sometimes see the whole evolution of civilization. All that time I spent protesting and being nomadic could have been spent doing exactly what I'm doing now. Anymore, I can't relish wasting one moment. Also I've come to realize that the only space I can control is within my own

emotional being and that if I really want to make a contribution I'll have to (gasp) try for public office. On another historical note I have to wonder, Peter, if you thought about what William (Wallace) might have thought about your camp? At least you didn't loose your (I won't say it and offend anyone) for your vision of freedom.To send an email to - To send an email to - Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Guest guest

That's good news.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:30 PM

Re: protests

I heard that they are trying to turn Greenham Common into heathland now and have seeded the area with heather, and have set up homes for bats in the hangers etc. Come on Mother Nature!

The Valley Vegan........Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Larry

Jo

-

Larry Kelley

protests

I remember the late 60's and 70's here in the States where we protested and lived in communes and thought we were doing something that would go on forever. I mean, it was the proper thing to do so why shouldn't it go on forever? Even before we got old and required more medical attention that lifestyle popped like a pretty soap bubble. I sometimes wonder what we really accomplished now that I rest on convention, am buying my own piece of the pie, and desperately need what police protection I can get. I digest history books with such delight (and cross reference) that it takes me some time to get through them and in splendid moments I can sometimes see the whole evolution of civilization. All that time I spent protesting and being nomadic could have been spent doing exactly what I'm doing now. Anymore, I can't relish wasting one moment. Also I've come to realize that the only space I can control is within my own emotional being and that if I really want to make a contribution I'll have to (gasp) try for public office. On another historical note I have to wonder, Peter, if you thought about what William (Wallace) might have thought about your camp? At least you didn't loose your (I won't say it and offend anyone) for your vision of freedom.To send an email to - To send an email to -

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos To send an email to -