IndiaDivine.org

Use your Library

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I don`t know about your libraries over there, but in my kneck of the woods, they check the entire county to find copies and ship them around to where you want to collect from. They also are on line so you can search for what you want and put holds on what they have. The other county library that I belong to will even order stuff ( I ve just got them to order Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail!). They have ordered no end of stuff for me.

I pays me taxes, I expect something back!

So everyone go to your library and find out what they can offer, there seem to be too few kids into books these days.......

The Valley Vegan.........Anna Blaine <anna333 wrote:

I live in Boise, Idaho. The only reason our library sees any traffic is because you can check out movies for free. I can never find the book I want when I go there.

Love,

Anna

-

peter hurd

7/19/2005 11:26:51 AM

Re: Re: Buy Canadian.. Harry Potter

Hey come on, if my local library had 3 copies, I`m sure that your library would have a copy? Its a small South Wales valley town! They had a Harry Potter day to celebrate the release , and unfortunately had 5 owls from a local bird sanctuary who were very stressed at being awake at the wrong time of day.

The Valley Vegan........Peter <metalscarab wrote:

> I pre-ordered it through Amazon.com and paid full price because I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT!!! I've spent the last three

> weeks re-reading the first five books in preparation and have been salivating waiting for today. And there's flat out no way it's

> even going to be in my local library for anyone to read for at least six months.

Just talking of Amazon, a little while back, I read something about Amazon being non-animal friendly. I can't remember why... can anyone help me out, and does anyone know if they're still doing whatever it was they used to do that made them non-animal friendly????

BB

Peter

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Guest guest

Weeellllllll, we used to have those types of libraries. When you have a first lady who is supposedly a librarian (worked in public school library) and was a teacher, one would think the government might promote literacy and encourage the use of libraries. NOT!

Over the last eight years libraries have had the biggest hit from cuts in funding.

We do have inter-library book use but a lot of the libraries no longer can afford to belong to exchange groups outside their own counties. I used to be able to get books from libraries all over the U.S. Not anymore!

Libraries are no longer open everyday and long hours. Some have closed completely and others are like ours and only open 3 days a week and only for limited hours. Library groups hold bake sales and other fund raisers just to keep them open.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Saturday, July 23, 2005 8:17 AM

Re: Re: Use your Library

I don`t know about your libraries over there, but in my kneck of the woods, they check the entire county to find copies and ship them around to where you want to collect from. They also are on line so you can search for what you want and put holds on what they have. The other county library that I belong to will even order stuff ( I ve just got them to order Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail!). They have ordered no end of stuff for me.

So everyone go to your library and find out what they can offer, there seem to be too few kids into books these days.......

I live in Boise, Idaho. The only reason our library sees any traffic is because you can check out movies for free. I can never find the book I want when I go there.

Love,

Anna

-

peter hurd

Hey come on, if my local library had 3 copies, I`m sure that your library would have a copy? Its a small South Wales valley town! They had a Harry Potter day to celebrate the release , and unfortunately had 5 owls from a local bird sanctuary who were very stressed at being awake at the wrong time of day.

> I pre-ordered it through Amazon.com and paid full price because I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT!!! I've spent the last three

> weeks re-reading the first five books in preparation and have been salivating waiting for today. And there's flat out no way it's

> even going to be in my local library for anyone to read for at least six months.

Just talking of Amazon, a little while back, I read something about Amazon being non-animal friendly. I can't remember why... can anyone help me out, and does anyone know if they're still doing whatever it was they used to do that made them non-animal friendly????

BB

Peter

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Peter H

Guest guest

Lynda,

I had no idea about your libraries. Sounds a sad state of affairs. I would have had a much poorer youth without my local library. Nice to know that I still get something I want for my taxes! How are your libraries funded?

Our libraries are open 6 days a week, and have free internet/computer use ( where I am typing this from now), and are open till 7 one night a week. They lend out cd/dvd/video beside books and have a section on geneology with lots of old historical info on microfiche, and are very helpful.

The Valley Vegan..........Lynda <lurine wrote:

Weeellllllll, we used to have those types of libraries. When you have a first lady who is supposedly a librarian (worked in public school library) and was a teacher, one would think the government might promote literacy and encourage the use of libraries. NOT!

Over the last eight years libraries have had the biggest hit from cuts in funding.

We do have inter-library book use but a lot of the libraries no longer can afford to belong to exchange groups outside their own counties. I used to be able to get books from libraries all over the U.S. Not anymore!

Libraries are no longer open everyday and long hours. Some have closed completely and others are like ours and only open 3 days a week and only for limited hours. Library groups hold bake sales and other fund raisers just to keep them open.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Love,

Anna

-

peter hurd

BB

Peter

Peter H

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos Peter H

Guest guest

Taxes fund the libraries. Where I used to live (Humboldt County) we had a beautiful library that was build by volunteers using money from fundraising -- over a million dollars. It sits on the bay with a wall of glass and chairs and tables facing the bay for folks to sit and enjoy the books that are for reference only.

There is a local history room with lots of geneology, old maps, books by local authors, newspapers, etc. It is all in redwood and has the boardroom table from a local bank.

There is a video/DVD/CD/tapes room.

There is a bank of computers. A large children's room and good sized Young Adults section, a magazines/periodicals section and a health section staffed by an RN. All in all a beautiful place but the county doesn't fund it. It is open 5 days a week for short periods on two days and 8 hours on 3 days. Friends of the Library keep the staffing levels up with fundraisers.

Where we live now the library is open a few hours a day, 3 days a week. Of course, the population is less than 2000 and the total for the whole county is less than 30,000. When you consider that if you ironed this county flat it would be bigger than Texas, that doesn't leave too many people in any given area <g>

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Saturday, July 30, 2005 8:19 AM

Lynda,

I had no idea about your libraries. Sounds a sad state of affairs. I would have had a much poorer youth without my local library. Nice to know that I still get something I want for my taxes! How are your libraries funded?

Our libraries are open 6 days a week, and have free internet/computer use ( where I am typing this from now), and are open till 7 one night a week. They lend out cd/dvd/video beside books and have a section on geneology with lots of old historical info on microfiche, and are very helpful.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Love,

Anna

-

peter hurd

BB

Peter

Peter H

Peter H

Peter H

Guest guest

I read on the television news text yesterday that in the UK the libraries are going to be privatised with the book companies running them. Not good news.

Jo

-

Lynda

Saturday, July 30, 2005 5:25 PM

Taxes fund the libraries. Where I used to live (Humboldt County) we had a beautiful library that was build by volunteers using money from fundraising -- over a million dollars. It sits on the bay with a wall of glass and chairs and tables facing the bay for folks to sit and enjoy the books that are for reference only.

There is a local history room with lots of geneology, old maps, books by local authors, newspapers, etc. It is all in redwood and has the boardroom table from a local bank.

There is a video/DVD/CD/tapes room.

There is a bank of computers. A large children's room and good sized Young Adults section, a magazines/periodicals section and a health section staffed by an RN. All in all a beautiful place but the county doesn't fund it. It is open 5 days a week for short periods on two days and 8 hours on 3 days. Friends of the Library keep the staffing levels up with fundraisers.

Where we live now the library is open a few hours a day, 3 days a week. Of course, the population is less than 2000 and the total for the whole county is less than 30,000. When you consider that if you ironed this county flat it would be bigger than Texas, that doesn't leave too many people in any given area <g>

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Saturday, July 30, 2005 8:19 AM

Lynda,

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Love,

Anna

-

peter hurd

BB

Peter

Peter H

Peter H

Peter H

Guest guest

I wonder if that's what has happened to our libraries here in Phoenix, Arizona. I keep complaining to them that a lot of the books I want to check out have said for a long, long time that they are on order. I'm talking in years, not months.

Jonnie

peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Lynda,

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Love,

Anna

-

peter hurd

BB

Peter

Peter H

Peter H

Peter H

Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour