IndiaDivine.org

Blackstrap Molasses

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm having a lot of problems with lack of iron and someone suggested blackstrap molasses. I can't imagine just taking a spoonful, does anyone have any recommendations of foods to put it in/with?

Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

Guest guest

Hi Jonnie

You can cook it into cakes like chocolate brownies, or treacle tart - just substitute a tablespoon of treacle or syrup with a tablespoon of molasses. You can also stir some into soya milkshakes and fruity drinks.

I believe that dried apricots and all dried fruit have a good iron content, so you could have baked apples with raisins and a little molasses. Leafy green vegetables, cooked beans and lentils, and pumpkin seeds are also good sources.

Don't forget to have a source of Vitamin C with your iron rich foods - you could have a glass of orange juice, or take your vitamin tablet at the same time.

Good luck

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 7:04 PM

Blackstrap Molasses

I'm having a lot of problems with lack of iron and someone suggested blackstrap molasses. I can't imagine just taking a spoonful, does anyone have any recommendations of foods to put it in/with?

Jonnie

Guest guest

Jo, what's treacle? I've told my cardiologist that something is clearly wrong, since I take a multi, eat fruit (so I'm getting plenty of Vit c), don't have too much cafeine, take 325 mg of iron and still am having probs with iron. I suspect that the baby aspirin and I aren't getting along and that the stomach probs I've developed aren't just because of the iron I'm taking.

Mmmm... chocolate brownies, do you have a low-fat recipe for me to use? The milkshakes sound good too. I'm guessing you use soymilk? What else do you put in it?

Jonnie (ugh, there's so much to learn about this lifestyle, but it's all worth it....)Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Jonnie

You can cook it into cakes like chocolate brownies, or treacle tart - just substitute a tablespoon of treacle or syrup with a tablespoon of molasses. You can also stir some into soya milkshakes and fruity drinks.

I believe that dried apricots and all dried fruit have a good iron content, so you could have baked apples with raisins and a little molasses. Leafy green vegetables, cooked beans and lentils, and pumpkin seeds are also good sources.

Don't forget to have a source of Vitamin C with your iron rich foods - you could have a glass of orange juice, or take your vitamin tablet at the same time.

Good luck

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Blackstrap Molasses

Jonnie

Guest guest

Hi Jonnie

You're right - the aspirin is not a good idea. You are obviously bleeding in your stomach and tubes, which is making you anaemic. I would stop the aspirin and take vitamin E, which will keep the blood thin just the same as the aspirin. I can't remember the dose you will need, but I recommend you buy a book on Vitamin E and heart/circulation problems.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 9:23 PM

Re: Blackstrap Molasses

Jo, what's treacle? I've told my cardiologist that something is clearly wrong, since I take a multi, eat fruit (so I'm getting plenty of Vit c), don't have too much cafeine, take 325 mg of iron and still am having probs with iron. I suspect that the baby aspirin and I aren't getting along and that the stomach probs I've developed aren't just because of the iron I'm taking.

Mmmm... chocolate brownies, do you have a low-fat recipe for me to use? The milkshakes sound good too. I'm guessing you use soymilk? What else do you put in it?

Jonnie (ugh, there's so much to learn about this lifestyle, but it's all worth it....)Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Jonnie

Good luck

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Blackstrap Molasses

Jonnie

Guest guest

You can use it in place of sugar in baking. Just reduce the amount of liquid. You can use it in beans. Makes a yummy baked bean dish.

And you might consider using cast iron to add a bit of iron to the diet.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 11:04 AM

Blackstrap Molasses

Jonnie

Guest guest

Which baby aspirin are you taking? Bayer is the best if you have stomach problems. OR, take it with some milk of magnesia.

As to iron, try "Perfect Iron." It is hard to find but doesn't repeat and doesn't tear up your stomach. It is the only kind I can take.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:23 PM

Hi Jonnie

Good luck

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Blackstrap Molasses

Jonnie

Guest guest

Costco brand estoic (ok, I know that didn't come out right) 81 mg. Doc says I can go down to every other day. My hubby says that he thinks the doc just wants to cover his hinney in case I have a heart attack. I think I'll just not do what the doc says and go on fish oil, vitamin E and keep to my one red wine a day. I think I'll have much better luck. I've always had a problem with iron and B vits, for some reason I can't seem to absorb them the way I should, but this is really bad. My hubby blames it on going (nearly) vegan. My primary care doc, who orginally told me I have to eat only fruits & veggies, told me I need to eat more steak. My cardiologist tells me not to worry about it, which is just what I should do, since I'm too tired to do anything! :)

JonnieLynda <lurine wrote:

Which baby aspirin are you taking? Bayer is the best if you have stomach problems. OR, take it with some milk of magnesia.

As to iron, try "Perfect Iron." It is hard to find but doesn't repeat and doesn't tear up your stomach. It is the only kind I can take.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Hi Jonnie

Good luck

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Blackstrap Molasses

Jonnie

Guest guest

Hi Jonnie

You won't even be vegetarian if you use fish oil - try Flac (linseed) oil instead - then you'll still be 'nearly vegan'.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Thursday, July 28, 2005 5:48 PM

Costco brand estoic (ok, I know that didn't come out right) 81 mg. Doc says I can go down to every other day. My hubby says that he thinks the doc just wants to cover his hinney in case I have a heart attack. I think I'll just not do what the doc says and go on fish oil, vitamin E and keep to my one red wine a day. I think I'll have much better luck. I've always had a problem with iron and B vits, for some reason I can't seem to absorb them the way I should, but this is really bad. My hubby blames it on going (nearly) vegan. My primary care doc, who orginally told me I have to eat only fruits & veggies, told me I need to eat more steak. My cardiologist tells me not to worry about it, which is just what I should do, since I'm too tired to do anything! :)

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Hi Jonnie

Good luck

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Blackstrap Molasses

Jonnie

Guest guest

Ah, good point. Thanks!

JonnieJo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Jonnie

You won't even be vegetarian if you use fish oil - try Flac (linseed) oil instead - then you'll still be 'nearly vegan'.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Thursday, July 28, 2005 5:48 PM

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Hi Jonnie

Good luck

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Blackstrap Molasses

Jonnie