IndiaDivine.org

My experience with my friend

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thank you all for your input to the whole Holocaust conversation I had with my friend.

You know what I was thinking about this evening?

How when I tell others this...I would be the party most likely to be blamed. I would be looked upon as the perpetrator even though what I said spoke so much truth.

My, friend, however would get no judgement even though, in my mind and many others, her denial of what is happening is very offensive, distasteful and thoughtless. And, on behalf of the 9 billion animals that are killed each year, it is very offensive to deny what is happening to them.

It's interesting, isn't it? How the bearer of the truth is the one who is blamed. How so little importance is placed on animal's feelings that the mere mention of it is met with hostility.

Soliel

Guest guest

It is strange how that happens, but you have had a few of us agree

with the way you argued.

BB

Jo

, lv2breathe@a... wrote:

> Thank you all for your input to the whole Holocaust conversation I

had with

> my friend.

>

> You know what I was thinking about this evening?

>

> How when I tell others this...I would be the party most likely to

be blamed.

> I would be looked upon as the perpetrator even though what I said

spoke so

> much truth.

>

> My, friend, however would get no judgement even though, in my mind

and many

> others, her denial of what is happening is very offensive,

distasteful and

> thoughtless. And, on behalf of the 9 billion animals that are

killed each

> year, it is very offensive to deny what is happening to them.

>

> It's interesting, isn't it? How the bearer of the truth is the

one who is

> blamed. How so little importance is placed on animal's feelings

that the mere

> mention of it is met with hostility.

>

> Soliel

Guest guest

Sorry to bang on about this, but I think it's the analogy that would set people off. Had you concentrated on the suffering and how it has been rigorously documented, including by national broadcasting companies/organisations, by police forces and animal protection organisations, you might make more headway.

Often when we get angry about blank denials, it is very tempting to walk from an argument and use an uncompromising statement in provocation/closure, but often that leads nowhere. I'm not trying to criticise you, Soleil, because I've done the same thing more than enough - and sometimes quite brutally not just about veganism but also over issues such as Palestine. In the end, however, I've normally regretted it to some extent and felt I could have handled things better.

Cheers

Michael

On Behalf Of lv2breatheSent: 08 August 2005 03:53 Cc: Lv2breatheSubject: My experience with my friend

Thank you all for your input to the whole Holocaust conversation I had with my friend.

How when I tell others this...I would be the party most likely to be blamed. I would be looked upon as the perpetrator even though what I said spoke so much truth.

My, friend, however would get no judgement even though, in my mind and many others, her denial of what is happening is very offensive, distasteful and thoughtless. And, on behalf of the 9 billion animals that are killed each year, it is very offensive to deny what is happening to them.

It's interesting, isn't it? How the bearer of the truth is the one who is blamed. How so little importance is placed on animal's feelings that the mere mention of it is met with hostility.

Soliel

Guest guest

Right. I agree. I should have taken a "time out" and come back when I wasn't annoyed or angry. Even if she was offensive, I didn't have to go there, too.

Anger ruins so much, doesn't it???

soliel

In a message dated 8/8/05 10:12:50 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 11 Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:15:24 +0100 "Michael Benis" <michael.benisRE: My experience with my friendSorry to bang on about this, but I think it's the analogy that would setpeople off. Had you concentrated on the suffering and how it has beenrigorously documented, including by national broadcastingcompanies/organisations, by police forces and animal protectionorganisations, you might make more headway.Often when we get angry about blank denials, it is very tempting to walkfrom an argument and use an uncompromising statement in provocation/closure,but often that leads nowhere. I'm not trying to criticise you, Soleil,because I've done the same thing more than enough - and sometimes quitebrutally not just about veganism but also over issues such as Palestine. Inthe end, however, I've normally regretted it to some extent and felt I couldhave handled things better.CheersMichael _____ OnBehalf Of lv2breatheSent: 08 August 2005 03:53 Cc: Lv2breatheSubject: My experience with my friendThank you all for your input to the whole Holocaust conversation I had withmy friend.You know what I was thinking about this evening?How when I tell others this...I would be the party most likely to be blamed.I would be looked upon as the perpetrator even though what I said spoke somuch truth.My, friend, however would get no judgement even though, in my mind and manyothers, her denial of what is happening is very offensive, distasteful andthoughtless. And, on behalf of the 9 billion animals that are killed eachyear, it is very offensive to deny what is happening to them. It's interesting, isn't it? How the bearer of the truth is the one who isblamed. How so little importance is placed on animal's feelings that themere mention of it is met with hostility.SolielTo send an email to -

Guest guest

no different then someone bringing up the slavery issue 150 years ago...

er mentioning "terrorism" today (in the vein off "why is there terrorism, and what are the causes" instead of the stock answer "they hate us and our freedom and i need to go buy a flag...")

good luck with yer friend..... lv2breathe Aug 7, 2005 7:52 PM Cc: Lv2breathe My experience with my friend

Soliel

To send an email to -

Guest guest

I was looking at books on Islam on amazon.com. I've decided that it's time I learn what the religion is actually about rather than what everyone says it's about and I like to read reviews other readers post. On one particular book the majority of the customer reviews were people talking about how evil Islam is and never even mentioned the book! It's highly questionable whether they even read it.

Just something I found interesting.

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

8/8/2005 11:12:36 AM

Re: My experience with my friend

er mentioning "terrorism" today (in the vein off "why is there terrorism, and what are the causes" instead of the stock answer "they hate us and our freedom and i need to go buy a flag...")

good luck with yer friend..... lv2breathe Aug 7, 2005 7:52 PM Cc: Lv2breathe My experience with my friend

Soliel

To send an email to -

Guest guest

while no expert..i can recommend some books on Islam if you like Anna Blaine Aug 8, 2005 12:05 PM Re: My experience with my friend

I was looking at books on Islam on amazon.com. I've decided that it's time I learn what the religion is actually about rather than what everyone says it's about and I like to read reviews other readers post. On one particular book the majority of the customer reviews were people talking about how evil Islam is and never even mentioned the book! It's highly questionable whether they even read it.

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

Soliel

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Please do! As usual, I was just going to fall back on the Dummies series, but I really wasn't very impressed with Buddhism for Dummies.

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

8/8/2005 1:30:20 PM

while no expert..i can recommend some books on Islam if you like Anna Blaine Aug 8, 2005 12:05 PM Re: My experience with my friend

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

Soliel

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Islam a short history

and Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet

both by Karen Armstrong

and, No God but God by reza Aslan

also...believe it er not...one of the Cartoon history of the universe...ferget which addition, was really informative

i try and read from various different sources, and try to find the middle ground between em..since everyone has biases and prejudices.... Anna Blaine Aug 8, 2005 12:50 PM Re: My experience with my friend

Please do! As usual, I was just going to fall back on the Dummies series, but I really wasn't very impressed with Buddhism for Dummies.

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

8/8/2005 1:30:20 PM

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

Soliel

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Anna

> I was looking at books on Islam on amazon.com. I've decided that it's time I learn what the religion is actually about rather than

> what everyone says it's about and I like to read reviews other readers post. On one particular book the majority of the customer

> reviews were people talking about how evil Islam is and never even mentioned the book! It's highly questionable whether they

> even read it.

Sadly all too common a reaction. In my local town, there have been a number of serious attacks on mosques recently... people are just crazy.

Something that amazes me is how often people do comment on books (particularly citing them to support an argument) that they've never read!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Anna

> Please do! As usual, I was just going to fall back on the Dummies series, but I really wasn't very impressed with Buddhism for

> Dummies.

I'll leave Fraggle to give some more specific Islamic books... but a book worth reading from the historical perspective is "The History of God" by Karen Armstrong. It deals with all three major monotheistic religions, but is very objective about all three, and gives a good balanced historical view.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

What bothers me is the hypocricy of so much of it. All the hysteria by all the good Christians, at least in the U.S., about the whole 7 virgins thing. HELLO! The same thing is in their book of myths!

Lynda

-

Peter

Monday, August 08, 2005 5:15 PM

Hi Anna

> I was looking at books on Islam on amazon.com. I've decided that it's time I learn what the religion is actually about rather than

> what everyone says it's about and I like to read reviews other readers post. On one particular book the majority of the customer

> reviews were people talking about how evil Islam is and never even mentioned the book! It's highly questionable whether they

> even read it.

Sadly all too common a reaction. In my local town, there have been a number of serious attacks on mosques recently... people are just crazy.

Something that amazes me is how often people do comment on books (particularly citing them to support an argument) that they've never read!!!

BB

Peter

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.3/66 - Release 8/8/05

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.3/66 - Release 8/8/05