IndiaDivine.org

What's the best tofu?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Mmm... green beans are one of my favs. Now that my girls are gone, my son and I eat them just about every meal we cook at home.

We tried something called Smart Dogs the other day. Ugh! I coudn't get past the smell, kinda like chemical smoked something or other. My son actually spewed it back onto the plate, not something he'll normally do, but I guess he couldn't help it. My DH respectfully requested I never do that again. Has anyone eatin' at Pei Wei? They have some really good tofu. It has some sort of spices on it and is a very, very firm texture. They also have what they call honey seared, kind of a sweet sauce.

My family hates tofu... I keep tryin' tho they are running out of patience. What's the best tofu?heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

Redwoods roast - a bit like Tofurkey but sort of beef flavoured. Runner beans - help - I don't know what they are called in othercountries - kind of like green beans or French beans, but longer andwith a 'fresher' taste.Jo , Jonnie Hellens<jonnie_hellens> wrote:> Redwoods roast? Runner beans? 'splain please!> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> I took hummous, bread and cucumber for lunch. For breakfast I tooka soya> yogurt and pumpkin seeds, and an apple and banana for snacks. Ourdinner> tonight was a Redwoods roast with roast potatoes, runner beans and> mushrooms.> > BB> Jo> > > today its more bagels..and lotsa fruit..i swear there's gotta belike 900> lbs of fruit

....> i wonder wot lunch will be.....> > > > To send an email to - > > > >

umm

first off..where are you located??

different locales have different brands of tofu

there's also different variety of tofu's

there's chinese and japanese(silken)

and then there's a range of consistencies..from soft to firm..

wot you are cooking determines the type of tofu...

Jonnie Hellens Aug 12, 2005 4:24 PM What's the best tofu?

Mmm... green beans are one of my favs. Now that my girls are gone, my son and I eat them just about every meal we cook at home.

We tried something called Smart Dogs the other day. Ugh! I coudn't get past the smell, kinda like chemical smoked something or other. My son actually spewed it back onto the plate, not something he'll normally do, but I guess he couldn't help it. My DH respectfully requested I never do that again. Has anyone eatin' at Pei Wei? They have some really good tofu. It has some sort of spices on it and is a very, very firm texture. They also have what they call honey seared, kind of a sweet sauce.

My family hates tofu... I keep tryin' tho they are running out of patience. What's the best tofu?heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

Redwoods roast - a bit like Tofurkey but sort of beef flavoured. Runner beans - help - I don't know what they are called in othercountries - kind of like green beans or French beans, but longer andwith a 'fresher' taste.Jo , Jonnie Hellens<jonnie_hellens> wrote:> Redwoods roast? Runner beans? 'splain please!> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> I took hummous, bread and cucumber for lunch. For breakfast I tooka soya> yogurt and pumpkin seeds, and an apple and banana for snacks. Ourdinner> tonight was a Redwoods roast with roast potatoes, runner beans and> mushrooms.> > BB> Jo> > > today its more bagels..and lotsa fruit..i swear there's gotta belike 900> lbs of fruit ...> i wonder wot lunch will be.....> > > > To send an email to - > > > >

The Redwoods roasts are fairly plain - no sauces or anything. It's

quite nice to have roast potatoes and veg with something sometimes.

Don't forget that honey isn't vegan (or are you veggie)

Jo

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> Mmm... green beans are one of my favs. Now that my girls are gone,

my son and I eat them just about every meal we cook at home.

>

> We tried something called Smart Dogs the other day. Ugh! I coudn't

get past the smell, kinda like chemical smoked something or other. My

son actually spewed it back onto the plate, not something he'll

normally do, but I guess he couldn't help it. My DH respectfully

requested I never do that again. Has anyone eatin' at Pei Wei? They

have some really good tofu. It has some sort of spices on it and is a

very, very firm texture. They also have what they call honey seared,

kind of a sweet sauce.

>

> My family hates tofu... I keep tryin' tho they are running out of

patience. What's the best tofu?

>

> heartwerk <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> Redwoods roast - a bit like Tofurkey but sort of beef flavoured.

> Runner beans - help - I don't know what they are called in other

> countries - kind of like green beans or French beans, but longer and

> with a 'fresher' taste.

>

> Jo

>

> , Jonnie Hellens

> <jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> > Redwoods roast? Runner beans? 'splain please!

> >

> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > I took hummous, bread and cucumber for lunch. For breakfast I took

> a soya

> > yogurt and pumpkin seeds, and an apple and banana for snacks. Our

> dinner

> > tonight was a Redwoods roast with roast potatoes, runner beans and

> > mushrooms.

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

> >

> > today its more bagels..and lotsa fruit..i swear there's gotta be

> like 900

> > lbs of fruit ...

> > i wonder wot lunch will be.....

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to

-

> >

> >

> >

> >

Ah gee wiz, just when I think I have it down, then you spring more on me!

I have had some tofu lately that I find incredibly yummy. It seems like they coated the outsides with some sort of spices, it's very, very firm and they cube it. It's served at a salad bar I go to. I've tried five-spice and it was ok and this isn't that. They also serve something like it at Pei Wei's. Any help?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

umm

Redwoods roast - a bit like Tofurkey but sort of beef flavoured. Runner beans - help - I don't know what they are called in othercountries - kind of like green beans or French beans, but longer andwith a 'fresher' taste.Jo , Jonnie Hellens<jonnie_hellens> wrote:> Redwoods roast? Runner beans? 'splain please!> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> I took hummous, bread and cucumber for lunch. For breakfast I tooka soya> yogurt and pumpkin seeds, and an apple and banana for snacks. Ourdinner> tonight was a Redwoods roast with roast potatoes, runner beans and> mushrooms.> > BB> Jo> > > today its more bagels..and lotsa fruit..i swear there's gotta belike 900> lbs of fruit

well...

depends on what you meanit could be commercially prepared like that, their are several baked tofu's on the market, and seasoned tofu's

or they could have made it there...so, not sure what you are asking

Jonnie Hellens Aug 17, 2005 6:54 PM Re: What's the best tofu?

I have had some tofu lately that I find incredibly yummy. It seems like they coated the outsides with some sort of spices, it's very, very firm and they cube it. It's served at a salad bar I go to. I've tried five-spice and it was ok and this isn't that. They also serve something like it at Pei Wei's. Any help?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

umm

Redwoods roast - a bit like Tofurkey but sort of beef flavoured. Runner beans - help - I don't know what they are called in othercountries - kind of like green beans or French beans, but longer andwith a 'fresher' taste.Jo , Jonnie Hellens<jonnie_hellens> wrote:> Redwoods roast? Runner beans? 'splain please!> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> I took hummous, bread and cucumber for lunch. For breakfast I tooka soya> yogurt and pumpkin seeds, and an apple and banana for snacks. Ourdinner> tonight was a Redwoods roast with roast potatoes, runner beans and> mushrooms.> > BB> Jo> > > today its more bagels..and lotsa fruit..i swear there's gotta belike 900> lbs of fruit ...> i wonder wot lunch will be.....> > > > To send an email to - > > > >

I would like to have a recipe to make some of my own. I'm wondering what sort of spices they use.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

well...

depends on what you meanit could be commercially prepared like that, their are several baked tofu's on the market, and seasoned tofu's

umm

there are several excellent tofu recipe books on the market

but..here..sift thru this when you get a chance

http://vegweb.com/recipes/tofu/

my fave brand of tofu is..small planet..

paws down..easily my fave

then wildwood, then another brand i alas can not remember its name..

all of em are organic..

and, small planet has baked tofu as well as flavored/spiced tofu..damn tasty...

use to like white wave, but stopped getting em after they got bought out by Dean's Food

I would like to have a recipe to make some of my own. I'm wondering what sort of spices they use.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

well...

umm

Thanks again fraggle! Dang, now I want some spiced tofu.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

all of em are organic..

use to like white wave, but stopped getting em after they got bought out by Dean's Food

well...

umm

well..then..go make some!

:)

say..since yer in phoenix...is freezee's nutcreem still around? i don't see their stuff carried locally anymore Jonnie Hellens Aug 18, 2005 6:14 PM Re: What's the best tofu?

Thanks again fraggle! Dang, now I want some spiced tofu.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

all of em are organic..

well...

umm

I'm guessing this would be in a store vs an actual location.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

well..then..go make some!

:)

say..since yer in phoenix...is freezee's nutcreem still around? i don't see their stuff carried locally anymore Jonnie Hellens Aug 18, 2005 6:14 PM Re: What's the best tofu?

all of em are organic..

well...

umm