IndiaDivine.org

Death by Bike

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It's not an issue of being happy, it's an issue of safety. Look at it like this, some is driving down the street, in what 1000 lbs of steel give or take, talking on the cell phone while brushing his teeth (yup, seen it) and maybe writing something down too. The lane isn't big enuf for both of us, but it doesn't matter, he doesn't even see ME. I can't see him because he's behind me while I'm on my bike. Many times I see people riding bikes and think, that's why there are so many peop who are hit, many times I see drivers and understand why there are so many accidents.

Which brings up another topic. I used to live quite a ways from my store and we all commuted each day. The US 60 was crazy, it would be a parking lot, or peop driving dangerously fast, or what have you. Anyhow, we've seen a whole range of peop doing crazy things while driving. Reading a newspaper, shaving, putting on all sorts of make-up, brushing teeth or hair, even blowdrying.

Today as I left my condo, I was driving on our little street here and this young chick pulls out right in front of me, she's still got the sunblock on the front windshield, pulling it off while talking on the phone, she begins to write something down. She never even noticed that she almost hit me pulling out and she keeps swerving suddenly to avoid hitting things cuz she doesn't have her hands on the wheels. I wonder how she thinks it's ok to go without even being able to see in front of her and obviously she didn't care about what was next to her. Ugh!Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Pavements are meant to be safe places for people to walk along. If cyclists use them without dismounting they are not safe. Why is it more important for a cyclist to be happy than for a pedestrian to be safe?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:28 PM

Re: Re: URGENT COURTHERING - For those who live in London or are here Thursday

No point in having a bike and pushing it now is there?, plus it would block the pavement from pedestrians who would undoubtably take offence ( not the fence).

Who told you that pavements were safe for anyone?

The Valley Vegan..............Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

In that case you should get off your bike and push it on the pavement or you on the pavement with the bike on the side of the road. Pavements are supposedly safe places for pedestrians.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:43 PM

Re: Re: URGENT COURTHERING - For those who live in London or are here Thursday

Jo,

As a part time cyclist, I find traffic and pedestrians very inconsiderate of bikers!

Not that I recomend cycling on pavements, but then again there are certain roads in city centres that I definately wouldnt consider riding a bike on.

The Valley Vegan......heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

I have mainly found people on bikes to be very inconsiderate of pedestrians and quite a nuisance when riding on pavements. My other gripe is that a bike may be on the road one minute acting, as it should, like a vehicle, and then going across pedestrian crossings etc. like a pedestrian.I hope that the case makes bike riders think about what they are doing, and helps them decide to leave the footpaths to the pedestrians (particularly in towns).Jo , ioannis Tsoucas wrote:> Evening, 29th December 2004, I have been arrested.> One policeman and one policewoman have stopped me in> Bishopsgate, riding my bike on the road and they told> me that previously I was riding my bike on the> pavement.> > Court hearing: The justice rooms, 1 Queen

Victoria> Street, London EC4N 4XY> Tube (Underground): Bank> > Thursday 18th August 2005> at 2 pm> > Case: S 02110332/01 (01)> > Please come, everyone who likes bikers and bikes and> does not like police members, who instead to do there> job, are doing something else.> > Yannis (Ioannis)> > > > _________ > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. http://uk.security.

Of course there are bad car drivers here as well, but our average

cyclist does not follow the Highway Code in any manner. They swerve

in and out of cars in queues, when it suits them they mount the path

(sidewalk), go through red lights etc. I have been a cyclist so am

not talking without any experience.

Jo

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> It's not an issue of being happy, it's an issue of safety. Look at

it like this, some is driving down the street, in what 1000 lbs

of steel give or take, talking on the cell phone while brushing his

teeth (yup, seen it) and maybe writing something down too. The lane

isn't big enuf for both of us, but it doesn't matter, he doesn't even

see ME. I can't see him because he's behind me while I'm on my

bike. Many times I see people riding bikes and think, that's why

there are so many peop who are hit, many times I see drivers and

understand why there are so many accidents.

>

> Which brings up another topic. I used to live quite a ways from my

store and we all commuted each day. The US 60 was crazy, it would be

a parking lot, or peop driving dangerously fast, or what have you.

Anyhow, we've seen a whole range of peop doing crazy things while

driving. Reading a newspaper, shaving, putting on all sorts of make-

up, brushing teeth or hair, even blowdrying.

>

> Today as I left my condo, I was driving on our little street here

and this young chick pulls out right in front of me, she's still got

the sunblock on the front windshield, pulling it off while talking on

the phone, she begins to write something down. She never even

noticed that she almost hit me pulling out and she keeps swerving

suddenly to avoid hitting things cuz she doesn't have her hands on

the wheels. I wonder how she thinks it's ok to go without even being

able to see in front of her and obviously she didn't care about what

was next to her. Ugh!

>

> Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> Pavements are meant to be safe places for people to walk along. If

cyclists use them without dismounting they are not safe. Why is it

more important for a cyclist to be happy than for a pedestrian to be

safe?

>

> Jo

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:28 PM

> Re: Re: URGENT COURTHERING - For those who

live in London or are here Thursday

>

>

> No point in having a bike and pushing it now is there?, plus it

would block the pavement from pedestrians who would undoubtably take

offence ( not the fence).

> Who told you that pavements were safe for anyone?

>

> The Valley Vegan..............

>

> Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> In that case you should get off your bike and push it on the

pavement or you on the pavement with the bike on the side of the

road. Pavements are supposedly safe places for pedestrians.

>

> Jo

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:43 PM

> Re: Re: URGENT COURTHERING - For those who

live in London or are here Thursday

>

>

> Jo,

> As a part time cyclist, I find traffic and pedestrians very

inconsiderate of bikers!

> Not that I recomend cycling on pavements, but then again there are

certain roads in city centres that I definately wouldnt consider

riding a bike on.

>

> The Valley Vegan......

>

> heartwerk <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> I have mainly found people on bikes to be very inconsiderate of

> pedestrians and quite a nuisance when riding on pavements. My other

> gripe is that a bike may be on the road one minute acting, as it

> should, like a vehicle, and then going across pedestrian crossings

> etc. like a pedestrian.

>

> I hope that the case makes bike riders think about what they are

> doing, and helps them decide to leave the footpaths to the

> pedestrians (particularly in towns).

>

> Jo

>

> , ioannis Tsoucas

> wrote:

> > Evening, 29th December 2004, I have been arrested.

> > One policeman and one policewoman have stopped me in

> > Bishopsgate, riding my bike on the road and they told

> > me that previously I was riding my bike on the

> > pavement.

> >

> > Court hearing: The justice rooms, 1 Queen Victoria

> > Street, London EC4N 4XY

> > Tube (Underground): Bank

> >

> > Thursday 18th August 2005

> > at 2 pm

> >

> > Case: S 02110332/01 (01)

> >

> > Please come, everyone who likes bikers and bikes and

> > does not like police members, who instead to do there

> > job, are doing something else.

> >

> > Yannis (Ioannis)

> >

> >

> >

> > _________

> > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all

> new Security Centre. http://uk.security.

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

This morning I heard on the news where a 19 yo driver pulled out onto the road in his full size Dodge truck and felt a thump. He got out of his vehicle to find that he had driven over a man and his motorcycle, killing him.

Driving to breakfast, I'm on 44th St, a very large 3 lane each way road and there is a bicycle rider riding down the other side of the street, in the middle, going the wrong way. How he wasn't hit, I don't know.heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

Of course there are bad car drivers here as well, but our average cyclist does not follow the Highway Code in any manner. They swerve in and out of cars in queues, when it suits them they mount the path (sidewalk), go through red lights etc. I have been a cyclist so am not talking without any experience.Jo , Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens> wrote:> It's not an issue of being happy, it's an issue of safety. Look at it like this, some is driving down the street, in what 1000 lbs of steel give or take, talking on the cell phone while brushing his teeth (yup, seen it) and maybe writing something down too. The lane isn't big enuf for both of us, but it doesn't matter, he doesn't even see ME. I can't see him because he's behind me while I'm on my

bike. Many times I see people riding bikes and think, that's why there are so many peop who are hit, many times I see drivers and understand why there are so many accidents. > > Which brings up another topic. I used to live quite a ways from my store and we all commuted each day. The US 60 was crazy, it would be a parking lot, or peop driving dangerously fast, or what have you. Anyhow, we've seen a whole range of peop doing crazy things while driving. Reading a newspaper, shaving, putting on all sorts of make-up, brushing teeth or hair, even blowdrying.> > Today as I left my condo, I was driving on our little street here and this young chick pulls out right in front of me, she's still got the sunblock on the front windshield, pulling it off while talking on the phone, she begins to write something down. She never even noticed that she almost hit me

pulling out and she keeps swerving suddenly to avoid hitting things cuz she doesn't have her hands on the wheels. I wonder how she thinks it's ok to go without even being able to see in front of her and obviously she didn't care about what was next to her. Ugh!> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> Pavements are meant to be safe places for people to walk along. If cyclists use them without dismounting they are not safe. Why is it more important for a cyclist to be happy than for a pedestrian to be safe?> > Jo> - > peter hurd > > Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:28 PM> Re: Re: URGENT COURTHERING - For those who live in London or are here Thursday> > > No point in having a bike and pushing it now is there?, plus it would block the pavement

from pedestrians who would undoubtably take offence ( not the fence).> Who told you that pavements were safe for anyone?> > The Valley Vegan..............> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> In that case you should get off your bike and push it on the pavement or you on the pavement with the bike on the side of the road. Pavements are supposedly safe places for pedestrians.> > Jo> - > peter hurd > > Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:43 PM> Re: Re: URGENT COURTHERING - For those who live in London or are here Thursday> > > Jo,> As a part time cyclist, I find traffic and pedestrians very inconsiderate of bikers!> Not that I recomend cycling on pavements, but then again there are certain roads in city centres that I definately

wouldnt consider riding a bike on.> > The Valley Vegan......> > heartwerk <heartwork@c...> wrote:> I have mainly found people on bikes to be very inconsiderate of > pedestrians and quite a nuisance when riding on pavements. My other > gripe is that a bike may be on the road one minute acting, as it > should, like a vehicle, and then going across pedestrian crossings > etc. like a pedestrian.> > I hope that the case makes bike riders think about what they are > doing, and helps them decide to leave the footpaths to the > pedestrians (particularly in towns).> > Jo> > , ioannis Tsoucas > wrote:> > Evening, 29th December 2004, I have been arrested.> > One policeman and one policewoman have stopped me in> > Bishopsgate, riding my bike on the road and they told> > me that

previously I was riding my bike on the> > pavement.> > > > Court hearing: The justice rooms, 1 Queen Victoria> > Street, London EC4N 4XY> > Tube (Underground): Bank> > > > Thursday 18th August 2005> > at 2 pm> > > > Case: S 02110332/01 (01)> > > > Please come, everyone who likes bikers and bikes and> > does not like police members, who instead to do there> > job, are doing something else.> > > > Yannis (Ioannis)> > > > > > > > _________ > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all > new Security Centre. http://uk.security.> > > > > > To send an email to

- >

Oh dear. Shame about the motorbike rider.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Thursday, August 18, 2005 5:39 PM

Re: Re: Death by Bike

This morning I heard on the news where a 19 yo driver pulled out onto the road in his full size Dodge truck and felt a thump. He got out of his vehicle to find that he had driven over a man and his motorcycle, killing him.

Driving to breakfast, I'm on 44th St, a very large 3 lane each way road and there is a bicycle rider riding down the other side of the street, in the middle, going the wrong way. How he wasn't hit, I don't know.heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

Of course there are bad car drivers here as well, but our average cyclist does not follow the Highway Code in any manner. They swerve in and out of cars in queues, when it suits them they mount the path (sidewalk), go through red lights etc. I have been a cyclist so am not talking without any experience.Jo , Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens> wrote:> It's not an issue of being happy, it's an issue of safety. Look at it like this, some is driving down the street, in what 1000 lbs of steel give or take, talking on the cell phone while brushing his teeth (yup, seen it) and maybe writing something down too. The lane isn't big enuf for both of us, but it doesn't matter, he doesn't even see ME. I can't see him because he's behind me while I'm on my bike. Many times I see people riding bikes and think, that's why there are so many peop who are hit, many times I see drivers and understand why there are so many accidents. > > Which brings up another topic. I used to live quite a ways from my store and we all commuted each day. The US 60 was crazy, it would be a parking lot, or peop driving dangerously fast, or what have you. Anyhow, we've seen a whole range of peop doing crazy things while driving. Reading a newspaper, shaving, putting on all sorts of make-up, brushing teeth or hair, even blowdrying.> > Today as I left my condo, I was driving on our little street here and this young chick pulls out right in front of me, she's still got the sunblock on the front windshield, pulling it off while talking on the phone, she begins to write something down. She never even noticed that she almost hit me pulling out and she keeps swerving suddenly to avoid hitting things cuz she doesn't have her hands on the wheels. I wonder how she thinks it's ok to go without even being able to see in front of her and obviously she didn't care about what was next to her. Ugh!> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> Pavements are meant to be safe places for people to walk along. If cyclists use them without dismounting they are not safe. Why is it more important for a cyclist to be happy than for a pedestrian to be safe?> > Jo> - > peter hurd > > Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:28 PM> Re: Re: URGENT COURTHERING - For those who live in London or are here Thursday> > > No point in having a bike and pushing it now is there?, plus it would block the pavement from pedestrians who would undoubtably take offence ( not the fence).> Who told you that pavements were safe for anyone?> > The Valley Vegan..............> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> In that case you should get off your bike and push it on the pavement or you on the pavement with the bike on the side of the road. Pavements are supposedly safe places for pedestrians.> > Jo> - > peter hurd > > Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:43 PM> Re: Re: URGENT COURTHERING - For those who live in London or are here Thursday> > > Jo,> As a part time cyclist, I find traffic and pedestrians very inconsiderate of bikers!> Not that I recomend cycling on pavements, but then again there are certain roads in city centres that I definately wouldnt consider riding a bike on.> > The Valley Vegan......> > heartwerk <heartwork@c...> wrote:> I have mainly found people on bikes to be very inconsiderate of > pedestrians and quite a nuisance when riding on pavements. My other > gripe is that a bike may be on the road one minute acting, as it > should, like a vehicle, and then going across pedestrian crossings > etc. like a pedestrian.> > I hope that the case makes bike riders think about what they are > doing, and helps them decide to leave the footpaths to the > pedestrians (particularly in towns).> > Jo> > , ioannis Tsoucas > wrote:> > Evening, 29th December 2004, I have been arrested.> > One policeman and one policewoman have stopped me in> > Bishopsgate, riding my bike on the road and they told> > me that previously I was riding my bike on the> > pavement.> > > > Court hearing: The justice rooms, 1 Queen Victoria> > Street, London EC4N 4XY> > Tube (Underground): Bank> > > > Thursday 18th August 2005> > at 2 pm> > > > Case: S 02110332/01 (01)> > > > Please come, everyone who likes bikers and bikes and> > does not like police members, who instead to do there> > job, are doing something else.> > > > Yannis (Ioannis)> > > > > > > > _________ > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all > new Security Centre. http://uk.security.> > > > > > To send an email to - >

I’m a driving teacher for disabled

students in Maryland.

My biggest fear is for the “once a week SUV drivers” –

usually women who are going to the store in “hubby’s car”

while yelling at their kids in the back seat – and while talking

simultaneously on the cell phone which they are holding to their ear. Before

you yell at me, of course men do this too.

I actually was walking through the most

dangerous place on the planet recently – no, not Baghdad – but the parking lot of a

large market on a Saturday morning. A lady in a giant Ford SUV backed out of a

space right into me – while she was talking on the cell phone WHILE

BACKING UP. Even though I was screaming at her, since she had the phone to her

ear, her windows up and her air conditioning and radio blaring, she never even

saw me – or heard me. Blithely she turned out of the parking lot and

drove while she continued her conversation. Thank goodness I was not hurt

badly.

I tell the kids I teach that I am not so

afraid of what THEY might do as what the ADULTS around them will do TO them.

Cynthia

On Behalf Of Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

8:20 PM

Death by

Bike

It's not an issue of being happy, it's an issue of safety. Look

at it like this, some is driving down the street, in what 1000 lbs of

steel give or take, talking on the cell phone while brushing his teeth (yup,

seen it) and maybe writing something down too. The lane isn't big enuf

for both of us, but it doesn't matter, he doesn't even see ME. I can't

see him because he's behind me while I'm on my bike. Many times I see

people riding bikes and think, that's why there are so many peop who are hit, many

times I see drivers and understand why there are so many accidents.

Which brings up another topic. I used to live quite a ways from

my store and we all commuted each day. The US 60 was crazy, it would be a

parking lot, or peop driving dangerously fast, or what have you. Anyhow,

we've seen a whole range of peop doing crazy things while driving.

Reading a newspaper, shaving, putting on all sorts of make-up, brushing teeth or

hair, even blowdrying.

Today as I left my condo, I was driving on our little street here and

this young chick pulls out right in front of me, she's still got the sunblock

on the front windshield, pulling it off while talking on the phone, she begins

to write something down. She never even noticed that she almost hit me

pulling out and she keeps swerving suddenly to avoid hitting things cuz she

doesn't have her hands on the wheels. I wonder how she thinks it's ok to

go without even being able to see in front of her and obviously she didn't care

about what was next to her. Ugh!

Jo Cwazy

<heartwork wrote:

Pavements are meant to be safe places for people to walk

along. If cyclists use them without dismounting they are not safe. Why

is it more important for a cyclist to be happy than for a pedestrian to be

safe?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, August

17, 2005 8:28 PM

Re:

Re: URGENT COURTHERING - For those who live in London or are here Thursday

No point in having a bike and pushing it now is there?, plus it would

block the pavement from pedestrians who would undoubtably take offence ( not

the fence).

Who told you that pavements were safe for anyone?

The Valley Vegan..............

Jo Cwazy <heartwork

wrote:

In that case you should get off your bike and push it on the

pavement or you on the pavement with the bike on the side of the road.

Pavements are supposedly safe places for pedestrians.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, August

17, 2005 6:43 PM

Re:

Re: URGENT COURTHERING - For those who live in London or are here Thursday

Jo,

As a part time cyclist, I find traffic and pedestrians very

inconsiderate of bikers!

Not that I recomend cycling on pavements, but then again there are

certain roads in city centres that I definately wouldnt consider riding a bike

on.

The Valley Vegan......

heartwerk <heartwork

wrote:

I have mainly found

people on bikes to be very inconsiderate of

pedestrians and quite a nuisance when riding on pavements. My other

gripe is that a bike may be on the road one minute acting, as it

should, like a vehicle, and then going across pedestrian crossings

etc. like a pedestrian.

I hope that the case makes bike riders think about what they are

doing, and helps them decide to leave the footpaths to the

pedestrians (particularly in towns).

Jo

ioannis Tsoucas

wrote:

> Evening, 29th December 2004, I have been arrested.

> One policeman and one policewoman have stopped me in

> Bishopsgate, riding my bike on the road and they told

> me that previously I was riding my bike on the

> pavement.

>

> Court hearing: The justice rooms, 1 Queen Victoria

> Street, London

EC4N 4XY

> Tube (Underground): Bank

>

> Thursday 18th August 2005

> at 2 pm

>

> Case: S 02110332/01 (01)

>

> Please come, everyone who likes bikers and bikes and

> does not like police members, who instead to do there

> job, are doing something else.

>

> Yannis (Ioannis)

>

>

>

> _________

> To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all

new Security Centre. http://uk.security.