IndiaDivine.org

i blame the little mermaid

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Coral Reef Ecosystems Found To Be in Decline in U.S. Waters

August 19, 2005 — By John Heilprin, Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Coral reef ecosystems, among the oldest and most diverse forms of

life, are declining in U.S. waters because of overfishing, climate change,

marine diseases, land-based pollution, storms and grounded ships.

Such ecosystems " clearly are beset by a wide array of significant threats, " the

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said in a report Thursday.

About three-quarters of all the threats to coral reefs have not changed since

the agency's last overview three years ago. Nearly half of those are considered

medium to high threats.

Only in one place, Guam, did a threat level go from low to high, because of

coral bleaching from rising ocean temperatures.

Coral reefs provide food and shelter to fish and protect shores from erosion.

The 522-page report says many of the programs that scientists use to monitor

coral reefs only began in the past two to five years, so some of the data is

inconclusive.

But the agency's head, Conrad Lautenbacher, said the findings offer " a baseline

we can use to compare future results. "

The data comes from more than 160 scientists and coral reef managers who have

monitored the water quality, the sea floor and fish and other species that live

in coral. They also have expanded their digital mapping of shallow water coral

reef ecosystems.

Globally, only about 30 percent of the world's coral reefs are healthy,

according to a study last year by 240 scientists in 96 countries. That is down

from 41 percent in 2002.

That report listed global warming -- blamed for higher water temperatures and

carbon dioxide concentrations -- as the top threat. It found that the Caribbean

had lost 80 to 98 percent of its elkhorn and staghorn coral, which are both

among the most common species.

Source: Associated Press

a blinding flash

hotter than the sun

dead bodies lie across the path

the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Nope, the loch ness monster relocated, it was him.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Coral Reef Ecosystems Found To Be in Decline in U.S. WatersAugust 19, 2005 — By John Heilprin, Associated Press WASHINGTON — Coral reef ecosystems, among the oldest and most diverse forms of life, are declining in U.S. waters because of overfishing, climate change, marine diseases, land-based pollution, storms and grounded ships. Such ecosystems "clearly are beset by a wide array of significant threats," the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said in a report Thursday. About three-quarters of all the threats to coral reefs have not changed since the agency's last overview three years ago. Nearly half of those are considered medium to high threats. Only in one place, Guam, did a threat level go from low to high, because of coral bleaching from rising ocean temperatures. Coral reefs provide food and shelter to fish and

protect shores from erosion. The 522-page report says many of the programs that scientists use to monitor coral reefs only began in the past two to five years, so some of the data is inconclusive. But the agency's head, Conrad Lautenbacher, said the findings offer "a baseline we can use to compare future results." The data comes from more than 160 scientists and coral reef managers who have monitored the water quality, the sea floor and fish and other species that live in coral. They also have expanded their digital mapping of shallow water coral reef ecosystems. Globally, only about 30 percent of the world's coral reefs are healthy, according to a study last year by 240 scientists in 96 countries. That is down from 41 percent in 2002. That report listed global warming -- blamed for higher water temperatures and carbon dioxide concentrations -- as the top threat. It found that the Caribbean had lost 80 to 98 percent of its elkhorn and staghorn

coral, which are both among the most common species. Source: Associated Press a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the airfinishing one by oneJonnie

Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

'ey der lassie, lets nae gang blamin' hen nessie noo!!! Jonnie Hellens Aug 19, 2005 2:35 PM Re: i blame the little mermaid

Nope, the loch ness monster relocated, it was him.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: Coral Reef Ecosystems Found To Be in Decline in U.S. WatersAugust 19, 2005 â By John Heilprin, Associated Press WASHINGTON â Coral reef ecosystems, among the oldest and most diverse forms of life, are declining in U.S. waters because of overfishing, climate change, marine diseases, land-based pollution, storms and grounded ships. Such ecosystems "clearly are beset by a wide array of significant threats," the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said in a report Thursday. About three-quarters of all the threats to coral reefs have not changed since the agency's last overview three years ago. Nearly half of those are considered medium to high threats. Only in one place, Guam, did a threat level go from low to high, because of coral bleaching from rising ocean temperatures. Coral reefs provide food and shelter to fish and protect shores from erosion. The 522-page report says many of the programs that scientists use to monitor coral reefs only began in the past two to five years, so some of the data is inconclusive. But the agency's head, Conrad Lautenbacher, said the findings offer "a baseline we can use to compare future results." The data comes from more than 160 scientists and coral reef managers who have monitored the water quality, the sea floor and fish and other species that live in coral. They also have expanded their digital mapping of shallow water coral reef ecosystems. Globally, only about 30 percent of the world's coral reefs are healthy, according to a study last year by 240 scientists in 96 countries. That is down from 41 percent in 2002. That report listed global warming -- blamed for higher water temperatures and carbon dioxide concentrations -- as the top threat. It found that the Caribbean had lost 80 to 98 percent of its elkhorn and staghorn coral, which are both among the most common species. Source: Associated Press a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the airfinishing one by oneJonnie

MailStay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour To send an email to -

The Loch Ness monster is a lady

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 19, 2005 10:35 PM

Re: i blame the little mermaid

Nope, the loch ness monster relocated, it was him.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: Coral Reef Ecosystems Found To Be in Decline in U.S. WatersAugust 19, 2005 — By John Heilprin, Associated Press WASHINGTON — Coral reef ecosystems, among the oldest and most diverse forms of life, are declining in U.S. waters because of overfishing, climate change, marine diseases, land-based pollution, storms and grounded ships. Such ecosystems "clearly are beset by a wide array of significant threats," the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said in a report Thursday. About three-quarters of all the threats to coral reefs have not changed since the agency's last overview three years ago. Nearly half of those are considered medium to high threats. Only in one place, Guam, did a threat level go from low to high, because of coral bleaching from rising ocean temperatures. Coral reefs provide food and shelter to fish and protect shores from erosion. The 522-page report says many of the programs that scientists use to monitor coral reefs only began in the past two to five years, so some of the data is inconclusive. But the agency's head, Conrad Lautenbacher, said the findings offer "a baseline we can use to compare future results." The data comes from more than 160 scientists and coral reef managers who have monitored the water quality, the sea floor and fish and other species that live in coral. They also have expanded their digital mapping of shallow water coral reef ecosystems. Globally, only about 30 percent of the world's coral reefs are healthy, according to a study last year by 240 scientists in 96 countries. That is down from 41 percent in 2002. That report listed global warming -- blamed for higher water temperatures and carbon dioxide concentrations -- as the top threat. It found that the Caribbean had lost 80 to 98 percent of its elkhorn and staghorn coral, which are both among the most common species. Source: Associated Press a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the airfinishing one by oneJonnie

MailStay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

Silly, it was the Monster From the Black Lagoon!

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 19, 2005 2:35 PM

Nope, the loch ness monster relocated, it was him.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: Coral Reef Ecosystems Found To Be in Decline in U.S. WatersAugust 19, 2005 — By John Heilprin, Associated Press WASHINGTON — Coral reef ecosystems, among the oldest and most diverse forms of life, are declining in U.S. waters because of overfishing, climate change, marine diseases, land-based pollution, storms and grounded ships. Such ecosystems "clearly are beset by a wide array of significant threats," the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said in a report Thursday. About three-quarters of all the threats to coral reefs have not changed since the agency's last overview three years ago. Nearly half of those are considered medium to high threats. Only in one place, Guam, did a threat level go from low to high, because of coral bleaching from rising ocean temperatures. Coral reefs provide food and shelter to fish and protect shores from erosion. The 522-page report says many of the programs that scientists use to monitor coral reefs only began in the past two to five years, so some of the data is inconclusive. But the agency's head, Conrad Lautenbacher, said the findings offer "a baseline we can use to compare future results." The data comes from more than 160 scientists and coral reef managers who have monitored the water quality, the sea floor and fish and other species that live in coral. They also have expanded their digital mapping of shallow water coral reef ecosystems. Globally, only about 30 percent of the world's coral reefs are healthy, according to a study last year by 240 scientists in 96 countries. That is down from 41 percent in 2002. That report listed global warming -- blamed for higher water temperatures and carbon dioxide concentrations -- as the top threat. It found that the Caribbean had lost 80 to 98 percent of its elkhorn and staghorn coral, which are both among the most common species. Source: Associated Press a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the airfinishing one by oneJonnie

MailStay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.12/77 - Release 8/18/05

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.12/77 - Release 8/18/05

Hey, don't u recognize the Irish ancestery! I understood it perfectly!Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Fraggle

> 'ey der lassie, lets nae gang blamin' hen nessie noo!!!

Why are you typing in some weird Norweigan accent?

BB

PeterJonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

Hi Jonnie

> Hey, don't u recognize the Irish ancestery! I understood it perfectly!

Ah - must be from Dublin - that was a viking colony at one point.

BB

Peter

My ancestors were from all over the place. Funny thing, my mom was very dark, but my sister and I are very light with light brown eyes and our kids even paler still, all with blue eyes.

My sister went to live in Dublin a couple of years ago and my mom went to live with her for a while. They are both back in the states now. I wish I could/would do such a thing. My son is supposed to go next summer to Finnland with his grandma to discover some of his roots. What a wonderful opportunity. Hopefully I'm teaching my kids not to get as tied down as I did.Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Jonnie

BB

PeterJonnie

Hi Jonnie

I expect yoru son will enjoy Finland. It is a place I would like to go sometime.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 6:46 PM

My ancestors were from all over the place. Funny thing, my mom was very dark, but my sister and I are very light with light brown eyes and our kids even paler still, all with blue eyes.

My sister went to live in Dublin a couple of years ago and my mom went to live with her for a while. They are both back in the states now. I wish I could/would do such a thing. My son is supposed to go next summer to Finnland with his grandma to discover some of his roots. What a wonderful opportunity. Hopefully I'm teaching my kids not to get as tied down as I did.Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Jonnie

BB

PeterJonnie

I bet he will. I'm so envious. Kinda sucks sometimes owning ur own business. There are so many places I would love to go, Tuscany area of Italy, see the Northern lights, the beautiful views of Greece, etc...Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Jonnie

I expect yoru son will enjoy Finland. It is a place I would like to go sometime.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Hi Jonnie

BB

PeterJonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page Jonnie

Mail for Mobile Take Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.

I would love to see the Northern Lights.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 8:55 PM

I bet he will. I'm so envious. Kinda sucks sometimes owning ur own business. There are so many places I would love to go, Tuscany area of Italy, see the Northern lights, the beautiful views of Greece, etc...Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Hi Jonnie

BB

PeterJonnie

Mail for MobileTake Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.

They sound so beautiful. I'm not sure how I would do in a place that goes a while with no daylight. I guess I do like the Valley of the Sun for that reason. We will literally dance around when it rains. During the storm there's hardly anything else covered on the news. In fact I told my DH recently how amazing it was that nothing else happens in the world during a storm.Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Hi Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Hi Jonnie

BB

PeterJonnie

Mail for MobileTake Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone. Jonnie

It must be strange to be dark for a long time. Talking of rain - it has been raining hard all day here, and it is chilly - I've put some heaters on, and it's still August.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 11:23 PM

They sound so beautiful. I'm not sure how I would do in a place that goes a while with no daylight. I guess I do like the Valley of the Sun for that reason. We will literally dance around when it rains. During the storm there's hardly anything else covered on the news. In fact I told my DH recently how amazing it was that nothing else happens in the world during a storm.Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Hi Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Hi Jonnie

BB

PeterJonnie

Mail for MobileTake Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone. Jonnie