IndiaDivine.org

Big cats in Wales?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

CCTV in woods to find big cats

One theory is that two panthers were released into the countrysideThe question of whether big cats are stalking the forests of Wales may finally be answered. The British Big Cat society (BBCS) plans to photograph two wooded areas considered sighting hotspots. Motion-triggered cameras will be set up near Carmarthen and on the Welsh borders in Monmouthshire. BBCS is keeping the exact locations secret, claiming there have been reports of the animals being targeted by "trophy hunters."

"I know of some individuals who are trying to shoot and trophy bag one of these big cats," said the society's spokesman Danny Bamping.

We have reports of two black leopards being released into the wild by a private owner in a very rural part of Wales in the 1990's

BBCS Danny Bamping

"That's why we don't make all our new evidence and details of cat locations public knowledge. "There have been quite a few sightings this year, up almost 10% on last year, to 123." Mr Bamping said there had been a lot of activity in several locations across Wales, including the Brecon Beacons, Anglesey, Pembrokeshire and the Wye Valley, with walkers reporting sightings, and finding footprints. But the number of sightings do not necessarily indicate there are over 100 big cats on the loose in Wales - some of them end up end as red-herrings. "We had one report of a sighting of a large cat in Cwmbran, a picture was taken on a digital camera and published in two national newspapers," added Mr Bamping. "But on close examination it turned out to be a large cuddly toy.

A puma or leopard is thought to have bitten this horse near Carmarthen

"They can travel vast distances in a short period of time, between 20 and 30 kilometres a day. So a cat that is spotted in Carmarthenshire one day, could be seen in Pembrokeshire the next. So exactly what sort of big cats are thought to be prowling Wales? "We've definitely got lynx and we've definitely got puma," Mr Bamping said, who had studied photographic evidence and made numerous visits to locations where big cats have been reported. "But 70% of the sightings are of black cats. And contrary to popular belief pumas are not black. "We have reports of two black leopards being released into the wild by a private owner in a very rural part of Wales in the 1990's. "We heard the story from five individuals and when I started to do some confirmatory research I was threatened off." BBCS hopes to start the study later this year and in the future plans to film live footage from certain locations and stream the footage live on the internet. Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Sounds like a good idea. I wish they'd put one up to see if there really is a Surrey panther.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Sunday, August 21, 2005 9:18 PM

Re: Big cats in Wales?

One theory is that two panthers were released into the countrysideThe question of whether big cats are stalking the forests of Wales may finally be answered. The British Big Cat society (BBCS) plans to photograph two wooded areas considered sighting hotspots. Motion-triggered cameras will be set up near Carmarthen and on the Welsh borders in Monmouthshire. BBCS is keeping the exact locations secret, claiming there have been reports of the animals being targeted by "trophy hunters."

"I know of some individuals who are trying to shoot and trophy bag one of these big cats," said the society's spokesman Danny Bamping.

We have reports of two black leopards being released into the wild by a private owner in a very rural part of Wales in the 1990's

BBCS Danny Bamping

"That's why we don't make all our new evidence and details of cat locations public knowledge. "There have been quite a few sightings this year, up almost 10% on last year, to 123." Mr Bamping said there had been a lot of activity in several locations across Wales, including the Brecon Beacons, Anglesey, Pembrokeshire and the Wye Valley, with walkers reporting sightings, and finding footprints. But the number of sightings do not necessarily indicate there are over 100 big cats on the loose in Wales - some of them end up end as red-herrings. "We had one report of a sighting of a large cat in Cwmbran, a picture was taken on a digital camera and published in two national newspapers," added Mr Bamping. "But on close examination it turned out to be a large cuddly toy.

"They can travel vast distances in a short period of time, between 20 and 30 kilometres a day. So a cat that is spotted in Carmarthenshire one day, could be seen in Pembrokeshire the next. So exactly what sort of big cats are thought to be prowling Wales? "We've definitely got lynx and we've definitely got puma," Mr Bamping said, who had studied photographic evidence and made numerous visits to locations where big cats have been reported. "But 70% of the sightings are of black cats. And contrary to popular belief pumas are not black. "We have reports of two black leopards being released into the wild by a private owner in a very rural part of Wales in the 1990's. "We heard the story from five individuals and when I started to do some confirmatory research I was threatened off." BBCS hopes to start the study later this year and in the future plans to film live footage from certain locations and stream the footage live on the internet.

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Did you see the report on the beast of bodmin?

It turned out to be an extra large domestic cat that had been overfed!

I believe these things when I see the proof.

The Valley Vegan.....Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Sounds like a good idea. I wish they'd put one up to see if there really is a Surrey panther.

Jo

-

peter hurd

BBCS Danny Bamping

"They can travel vast distances in a short period of time, between 20 and 30 kilometres a day. So a cat that is spotted in Carmarthenshire one day, could be seen in Pembrokeshire the next. So exactly what sort of big cats are thought to be prowling Wales? "We've definitely got lynx and we've definitely got puma," Mr Bamping said, who had studied photographic evidence and made numerous visits to locations where big cats have been reported. "But 70% of the sightings are of black cats. And contrary to popular belief pumas are not black. "We have reports of two black leopards being released into the wild by a private owner in a very rural part of Wales in the 1990's. "We heard the story from five individuals and when I started to do some confirmatory research I was threatened off." BBCS hopes to start the study later this year and in the future plans to film live footage from certain locations and stream the footage live on the internet.

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. Peter H

I reckon they probably all are. I used to be terrified of walking home late at night when I was a young teenager because of all the stories of panthers around.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, August 22, 2005 1:25 PM

Did you see the report on the beast of bodmin?

It turned out to be an extra large domestic cat that had been overfed!

I believe these things when I see the proof.

The Valley Vegan.....Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

peter hurd

BBCS Danny Bamping

Peter H

Peter H

i prolly would have gone out looking for it.... Jo Cwazy Aug 22, 2005 8:22 AM Re: Big cats in Wales?

I reckon they probably all are. I used to be terrified of walking home late at night when I was a young teenager because of all the stories of panthers around.

Jo

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

I bet you were a mad little Fraggle.

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, August 22, 2005 6:14 PM

i prolly would have gone out looking for it.... Jo Cwazy Aug 22, 2005 8:22 AM Re: Big cats in Wales?

Jo

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

i take it this is mad as in nuts mad....

mad over on this side of the pond means angry, not bonkers

*shrug*

i had my moments22, 2005 11:09 AM Re: Big cats in Wales?

Jo

-

fraggle

Joa blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

To send an email to -

Hi Fraggle

> i take it this is mad as in nuts mad....

> mad over on this side of the pond means angry, not bonkers

> *shrug*

> i had my moments

Well, if you will keep changing the meaning of words :-)

BB

Peter

So u could sit and have a beer together? I think panther's aren't particuarly vegetarian or vegan?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Jo

finishing one by one Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

No, but they'd probably find veggie folks mighty tasty <g>

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Monday, August 22, 2005 1:27 PM

So u could sit and have a beer together? I think panther's aren't particuarly vegetarian or vegan?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Joa blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.14/79 - Release 8/22/05

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.14/79 - Release 8/22/05

Perhaps you were both? I think I was.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

*shrug*

Jo

-

fraggle

finishing one by one

To send an email to -

I don't know - in England nuts are testicles or edible nuts such as hazlenuts.

BBJo

-

fraggle

Monday, August 22, 2005 7:59 PM

*shrug*

Jo

-

fraggle

finishing one by one

To send an email to -

U got that right!Lynda <lurine wrote:

No, but they'd probably find veggie folks mighty tasty <g>

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Monday, August 22, 2005 1:27 PM

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.14/79 - Release 8/22/05Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.14/79 - Release 8/22/05Jonnie

Ouch! Don't confuse the two!Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

I don't know - in England nuts are testicles or edible nuts such as hazlenuts.

BBJo

-

fraggle

Monday, August 22, 2005 7:59 PM

*shrug*

Jo

-

fraggle

finishing one by one

To send an email to -