IndiaDivine.org

Home made tofu

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Has anyone out there succesfully made their own tofu? I was contemplating buying a kit ( www.tofumaster.org ) until I saw the price. I just cant justify spending that sort of money on myself when I have a family to support.

Views please?

The Valley Vegan.........

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

here...i just found this online

How to Make TofuIngredients (Japanese names in parentheses):

500g Soy Beans (Daizu) 20g Bittern (Nigari) You will also need:

Cheesecloth Molds (milk cartons work fine) Press (rolled up newspaper wrapped in plastic wrap) Weights (plates, etc.) Cooking thermometer

Soak the soy beans in water overnight (10-20 hours). Be sure to use enough water so the beans can double in size. Prepare the molds using one milk carton per mold (you can use cheese molds if you have them). Cut off one side of the carton, and punch numerous holes in the sides and bottom to allow liquid to escape. Reinforce the molds by using a pair of longs sticks (one on each side) holding them together with rubber bands on the ends. You should have one piece of cheesecloth per mold which should be big enough to fit squarely into the mold and cover the tofu inside. The next day, pour out the water, and pulverize the beans in a blender using enough water to cover the beans (you will probably need to do this in four to five batches). Pour the bean mixture into a very large pot and add enough water to double the quantity of liquid. Bring the liquid to a low boil and lower the temperature, skimming off any foam that collects on the top. Boil for 20-30 min. stiring (and skimming) constently. While it is boiling, disolve the bittern (the leftover "stuff" that is formed when you extract salt from seawater) in a small quantity of water. Place a piece of cheesecloth in a colander, and pour the liquid through it into a large bowel. The liquid that passes through is called "soy milk" and will become the tofu. The solid material that remains in the cheesecloth is called "okara" and is useful for various Japanese dishes (recipes will come later). For each of the molds, fit the cheesecloth squarely into the corners. When the temperature of the soy milk cools to 70C (158F) pour in the bittern and stir genetly. When the tofu starts to separate from the water (almost immediately), pour the mixture into the molds and cover with cheesecloth. Next, place the plastic wrap covered newspapers on top of the tofu (it should fit squarely) and place weights on top to press out the liquid. After about 30 min., remove the tofu from the molds. This should be done under water in a large pot or tub. Store the tofu submerged in water.

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Does this mean that if I heat up soya milk and let it cool, that it will turn into tofu?

This seems like quite a palaver to me ( I dont use that much).

The Valley Vegan.........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Cheesecloth Molds (milk cartons work fine) Press (rolled up newspaper wrapped in plastic wrap) Weights (plates, etc.) Cooking thermometer

Soak the soy beans in water overnight (10-20 hours). Be sure to use enough water so the beans can double in size. Prepare the molds using one milk carton per mold (you can use cheese molds if you have them). Cut off one side of the carton, and punch numerous holes in the sides and bottom to allow liquid to escape. Reinforce the molds by using a pair of longs sticks (one on each side) holding them together with rubber bands on the ends. You should have one piece of cheesecloth per mold which should be big enough to fit squarely into the mold and cover the tofu inside. The next day, pour out the water, and pulverize the beans in a blender using enough water to cover the beans (you will probably need to do this in four to five batches). Pour the bean mixture into a very large pot and add enough water to double the quantity of liquid. Bring the liquid to a low boil and lower the temperature, skimming off any foam that collects on the top. Boil for 20-30 min. stiring (and skimming) constently. While it is boiling, disolve the bittern (the leftover "stuff" that is formed when you extract salt from seawater) in a small quantity of water. Place a piece of cheesecloth in a colander, and pour the liquid through it into a large bowel. The liquid that passes through is called "soy milk" and will become the tofu. The solid material that remains in the cheesecloth is called "okara" and is useful for various Japanese dishes (recipes will come later). For each of the molds, fit the cheesecloth squarely into the corners. When the temperature of the soy milk

cools to 70C (158F) pour in the bittern and stir genetly. When the tofu starts to separate from the water (almost immediately), pour the mixture into the molds and cover with cheesecloth. Next, place the plastic wrap covered newspapers on top of the tofu (it should fit squarely) and place weights on top to press out the liquid. After about 30 min., remove the tofu from the molds. This should be done under water in a large pot or tub. Store the tofu submerged in water.

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

hmmm

i don't think it works that way

peter hurd Aug 23, 2005 10:16 AM Re: Home made tofu

Does this mean that if I heat up soya milk and let it cool, that it will turn into tofu?

Soak the soy beans in water overnight (10-20 hours). Be sure to use enough water so the beans can double in size. Prepare the molds using one milk carton per mold (you can use cheese molds if you have them). Cut off one side of the carton, and punch numerous holes in the sides and bottom to allow liquid to escape. Reinforce the molds by using a pair of longs sticks (one on each side) holding them together with rubber bands on the ends. You should have one piece of cheesecloth per mold which should be big enough to fit squarely into the mold and cover the tofu inside. The next day, pour out the water, and pulverize the beans in a blender using enough water to cover the beans (you will probably need to do this in four to five batches). Pour the bean mixture into a very large pot and add enough water to double the quantity of liquid. Bring the liquid to a low boil and lower the temperature, skimming off any foam that collects on the top. Boil for 20-30 min. stiring (and skimming) constently. While it is boiling, disolve the bittern (the leftover "stuff" that is formed when you extract salt from seawater) in a small quantity of water. Place a piece of cheesecloth in a colander, and pour the liquid through it into a large bowel. The liquid that passes through is called "soy milk" and will become the tofu. The solid material that remains in the cheesecloth is called "okara" and is useful for various Japanese dishes (recipes will come later). For each of the molds, fit the cheesecloth squarely into the corners. When the temperature of the soy milk cools to 70C (158F) pour in the bittern and stir genetly. When the tofu starts to separate from the water (almost immediately), pour the mixture into the molds and cover with cheesecloth. Next, place the plastic wrap covered newspapers on top of the tofu (it should fit squarely) and place weights on top to press out the liquid. After about 30 min., remove the tofu from the molds. This should be done under water in a large pot or tub. Store the tofu submerged in water. a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. To send an email to -

U also add the bittern. Here we add what is called coagulator to make it curd or whatever. I haven't made it yet (but hope to in my spare time you understand).peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Soak the soy beans in water overnight (10-20 hours). Be sure to use enough water so the beans can double in size. Prepare the molds using one milk carton per mold (you can use cheese molds if you have them). Cut off one side of the carton, and punch numerous holes in the sides and bottom to allow liquid to escape. Reinforce the molds by using a pair of longs sticks (one on each side) holding them together with rubber bands on the ends. You should have one piece of cheesecloth per mold which should be big enough to fit squarely into the mold and cover the tofu inside. The next day, pour out the water, and pulverize the beans in a blender using enough water to cover the beans (you will probably need to do this in four to five batches). Pour the bean mixture into a very large pot and add enough water to double the quantity of liquid. Bring the liquid to a low boil and lower the temperature, skimming off any foam that collects on the top. Boil for 20-30 min. stiring (and skimming) constently. While it is boiling, disolve the bittern (the leftover "stuff" that is formed when you extract salt from seawater) in a small quantity of water. Place a piece of cheesecloth in a colander, and pour the liquid through it into a large bowel. The liquid that passes through is called "soy milk" and will become the tofu. The solid material that remains in the cheesecloth is called "okara" and is useful for various Japanese dishes (recipes will come later). For each of the molds, fit the cheesecloth squarely into the corners. When the temperature of the soy milk

cools to 70C (158F) pour in the bittern and stir genetly. When the tofu starts to separate from the water (almost immediately), pour the mixture into the molds and cover with cheesecloth. Next, place the plastic wrap covered newspapers on top of the tofu (it should fit squarely) and place weights on top to press out the liquid. After about 30 min., remove the tofu from the molds. This should be done under water in a large pot or tub. Store the tofu submerged in water. a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page