IndiaDivine.org

Going Solar?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've thought of having solar panels installed for electricity. I haven't investigated it much, when I tried I was overwhelmed with information that in the short time I had was too much to process. Do y'all think it's a good idea? Any of you gone this way and have advice?rvijay <rvijay07 wrote:

Peak oil' spells cataclysm for U.S., oil theorist warnsSunday, August 21, 2005ALEXANDER LANEThink high gas prices are bad?Get a load of what ex-oilman and ex-Princeton professor KennethDeffeyes believes are following closely behind:"War, famine, pestilence and death," he said, eyes wide and voicedeep. "We've got to get the warning out."The threat? Peak oil.The term, probably unfamiliar to most Americans, refers to the timewhen the worldwide production of oil peaks and begins a rapid decline.From then on, this incredibly efficient fuel source, which still costsless than most bottled water, will be scarcer and more costly.Highly respected sources, including the U.S. government, think thatday is distant, and most mainstream economists think it won't causemuch of a ruckus.But Deffeyes says peak

oil is coming in November, and could bringhumankind to the brink.He is a devotee of former Shell geologist M. King Hubbert, whocorrectly predicted U.S. oil production would peak in the early 1970s.Deffeyes is also the author of "Hubbert's Peak" (2001) and "BeyondOil: The View From Hubbert's Peak," which was published last spring.He is among a cadre of peak-oil proponents who sketch out afrightening near-term future in which the American way of life isupended as the United States, China and other great nations scrambleafter oil fields like desperate players in a game of musical chairs."He comes out of oil. He was born in oil," said Julian Darley, anenergy analyst, fellow predictor of an imminent oil peak and founderof the Post Carbon Institute, an Oregon think tank.Deffeyes' point -- that the peak has either arrived or will very soon-- is serious.In the long term, the nation will compensate with

clean-coal andnuclear energy, along with renewable sources like wind and solarpower, Deffeyes says."It's the five-year time scale that I'm really scared about." Historyhas demonstrated that the fear of a coming oil shortage, justified ornot, can be a powerful determinant of events. U.S. oil expertspredicted a "gasoline famine" just after World War I, promptingBritain to combine three former provinces of the Ottoman Empire into anew, oil-rich country that was to remain friendly to England.It was named Iraq. 2005, Newhouse News ServiceAlexander Lane is a staff writer for The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J.E-mail: alane Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

I heard that they are expensive, and that the technology isnt that efficient yet.You may need extra heating equipment etc. Maybe wait a year or two, and see how it progresses.But then what do I know living in a rainy valley?

See the following:

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/MultimediaFiles/Live/FullReport/1507.pdf

The Valley Vegan............Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

I've thought of having solar panels installed for electricity. I haven't investigated it much, when I tried I was overwhelmed with information that in the short time I had was too much to process. Do y'all think it's a good idea? Any of you gone this way and have advice?rvijay <rvijay07 wrote: Peak oil' spells cataclysm for U.S., oil theorist warnsSunday, August 21, 2005ALEXANDER LANEThink high gas prices are bad?Get a load of what ex-oilman and ex-Princeton professor KennethDeffeyes believes are following closely behind:"War, famine, pestilence and death," he said, eyes wide and voicedeep. "We've got to get the warning out."The threat? Peak oil.The term, probably unfamiliar to most Americans, refers to the timewhen the worldwide production of oil peaks and begins a rapid decline.From then on, this incredibly efficient fuel source, which still costsless than most bottled water, will be scarcer and more costly.Highly respected sources, including the U.S. government, think thatday is distant, and most mainstream economists think it won't causemuch of a ruckus.But Deffeyes says peak

oil is coming in November, and could bringhumankind to the brink.He is a devotee of former Shell geologist M. King Hubbert, whocorrectly predicted U.S. oil production would peak in the early 1970s.Deffeyes is also the author of "Hubbert's Peak" (2001) and "BeyondOil: The View From Hubbert's Peak," which was published last spring.He is among a cadre of peak-oil proponents who sketch out afrightening near-term future in which the American way of life isupended as the United States, China and other great nations scrambleafter oil fields like desperate players in a game of musical chairs."He comes out of oil. He was born in oil," said Julian Darley, anenergy analyst, fellow predictor of an imminent oil peak and founderof the Post Carbon Institute, an Oregon think tank.Deffeyes' point -- that the peak has either arrived or will very soon-- is serious.In the long term, the nation will compensate with

clean-coal andnuclear energy, along with renewable sources like wind and solarpower, Deffeyes says."It's the five-year time scale that I'm really scared about." Historyhas demonstrated that the fear of a coming oil shortage, justified ornot, can be a powerful determinant of events. U.S. oil expertspredicted a "gasoline famine" just after World War I, promptingBritain to combine three former provinces of the Ottoman Empire into anew, oil-rich country that was to remain friendly to England.It was named Iraq. 2005, Newhouse News ServiceAlexander Lane is a staff writer for The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J.E-mail: alane Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Thanks, yeah, living in the Valley of the Sun should help. I know there is an area near ASU where there are lots of solor panels for electricity. I've also heard of a neighborhood here in The Valley where they are very 'green' minded and actually sell back a lot of unused electricity to one of our electric companies. I'll take some time to perruse the weblink you sent. Thanks.peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

I heard that they are expensive, and that the technology isnt that efficient yet.You may need extra heating equipment etc. Maybe wait a year or two, and see how it progresses.But then what do I know living in a rainy valley?

See the following:

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/MultimediaFiles/Live/FullReport/1507.pdf

The Valley Vegan............Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

I've thought of having solar panels installed for electricity. I haven't investigated it much, when I tried I was overwhelmed with information that in the short time I had was too much to process. Do y'all think it's a good idea? Any of you gone this way and have advice?rvijay <rvijay07 wrote: Peak oil' spells cataclysm for U.S., oil theorist warnsSunday, August 21, 2005ALEXANDER LANEThink high gas prices are bad?Get a load of what ex-oilman and ex-Princeton professor KennethDeffeyes believes are following closely behind:"War, famine, pestilence and death," he said, eyes wide and voicedeep. "We've got to get the warning out."The threat? Peak oil.The term, probably unfamiliar to most Americans, refers to the timewhen the worldwide production of oil peaks and begins a rapid decline.From then on, this incredibly efficient fuel source, which still costsless than most bottled water, will be scarcer and more costly.Highly respected sources, including the U.S. government, think thatday is distant, and most mainstream economists think it won't causemuch of a ruckus.But Deffeyes says peak

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail Jonnie

I think it probably is a good idea, but have no experience of it. Presumably you would need back up power too.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:39 PM

Going Solar?

I've thought of having solar panels installed for electricity. I haven't investigated it much, when I tried I was overwhelmed with information that in the short time I had was too much to process. Do y'all think it's a good idea? Any of you gone this way and have advice?rvijay <rvijay07 wrote: Peak oil' spells cataclysm for U.S., oil theorist warnsSunday, August 21, 2005ALEXANDER LANEThink high gas prices are bad?Get a load of what ex-oilman and ex-Princeton professor KennethDeffeyes believes are following closely behind:"War, famine, pestilence and death," he said, eyes wide and voicedeep. "We've got to get the warning out."The threat? Peak oil.The term, probably unfamiliar to most Americans, refers to the timewhen the worldwide production of oil peaks and begins a rapid decline.From then on, this incredibly efficient fuel source, which still costsless than most bottled water, will be scarcer and more costly.Highly respected sources, including the U.S. government, think thatday is distant, and most mainstream economists think it won't causemuch of a ruckus.But Deffeyes says peak oil is coming in November, and could bringhumankind to the brink.He is a devotee of former Shell geologist M. King Hubbert, whocorrectly predicted U.S. oil production would peak in the early 1970s.Deffeyes is also the author of "Hubbert's Peak" (2001) and "BeyondOil: The View From Hubbert's Peak," which was published last spring.He is among a cadre of peak-oil proponents who sketch out afrightening near-term future in which the American way of life isupended as the United States, China and other great nations scrambleafter oil fields like desperate players in a game of musical chairs."He comes out of oil. He was born in oil," said Julian Darley, anenergy analyst, fellow predictor of an imminent oil peak and founderof the Post Carbon Institute, an Oregon think tank.Deffeyes' point -- that the peak has either arrived or will very soon-- is serious.In the long term, the nation will compensate with clean-coal andnuclear energy, along with renewable sources like wind and solarpower, Deffeyes says."It's the five-year time scale that I'm really scared about." Historyhas demonstrated that the fear of a coming oil shortage, justified ornot, can be a powerful determinant of events. U.S. oil expertspredicted a "gasoline famine" just after World War I, promptingBritain to combine three former provinces of the Ottoman Empire into anew, oil-rich country that was to remain friendly to England.It was named Iraq. 2005, Newhouse News ServiceAlexander Lane is a staff writer for The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J.E-mail: alane Jonnie

depends

does arizona give rebates like california does?

http://www.azsolarcenter.com/

Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

I've thought of having solar panels installed for electricity. I haven't investigated it much, when I tried I was overwhelmed with information that in the short time I had was too much to process. Do y'all think it's a good idea? Any of you gone this way and have advice?rvijay <rvijay07 wrote: Peak oil' spells cataclysm for U.S., oil theorist warnsSunday, August 21, 2005ALEXANDER LANEThink high gas prices are bad?Get a load of what ex-oilman and ex-Princeton professor KennethDeffeyes believes are following closely behind:"War, famine, pestilence and death," he said, eyes wide and voicedeep. "We've got to get the warning out."The threat? Peak oil.The term, probably unfamiliar to most Americans, refers to the timewhen the worldwide production of oil peaks and begins a rapid decline.From then on, this incredibly efficient fuel source, which still costsless than most bottled water, will be scarcer and more costly.Highly respected sources, including the U.S. government, think thatday is distant, and most mainstream economists think it won't causemuch of a ruckus.But Deffeyes says peak oil is coming in November, and could bringhumankind to the brink.He is a devotee of former Shell geologist M. King Hubbert, whocorrectly predicted U.S. oil production would peak in the early 1970s.Deffeyes is also the author of "Hubbert's Peak" (2001) and "BeyondOil: The View From Hubbert's Peak," which was published last spring.He is among a cadre of peak-oil proponents who sketch out afrightening near-term future in which the American way of life isupended as the United States, China and other great nations scrambleafter oil fields like desperate players in a game of musical chairs."He comes out of oil. He was born in oil," said Julian Darley, anenergy analyst, fellow predictor of an imminent oil peak and founderof the Post Carbon Institute, an Oregon think tank.Deffeyes' point -- that the peak has either arrived or will very soon-- is serious.In the long term, the nation will compensate with clean-coal andnuclear energy, along with renewable sources like wind and solarpower, Deffeyes says."It's the five-year time scale that I'm really scared about." Historyhas demonstrated that the fear of a coming oil shortage, justified ornot, can be a powerful determinant of events. U.S. oil expertspredicted a "gasoline famine" just after World War I, promptingBritain to combine three former provinces of the Ottoman Empire into anew, oil-rich country that was to remain friendly to England.It was named Iraq. 2005, Newhouse News ServiceAlexander Lane is a staff writer for The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J.E-mail: alane Jonnie

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

i'd like to go solar..either passive er otherwise

alas..i rent

doesn't make much sense to spend that much and then have to move er something Jonnie Hellens Aug 23, 2005 4:39 PM Going Solar?

I've thought of having solar panels installed for electricity. I haven't investigated it much, when I tried I was overwhelmed with information that in the short time I had was too much to process. Do y'all think it's a good idea? Any of you gone this way and have advice?

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Apparently the electricity meters are two way. So if we need more power, we pay, if we have excess, they pay us. Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

I think it probably is a good idea, but have no experience of it. Presumably you would need back up power too.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Going Solar?

Start your day with - make it your home page Jonnie

I heard there's a new Federal Tax break that just went into effect on the 8th (although interesting to note that it still needs to be worked out and there's no Federal forms available yet and no knowledge of when that will be.) It's something like 30% (can't seem to find out of what - purchase price?) for 2 years for personal systems, max $2000. It can't be installed before 1/1/06.

The state offers a tax credit of 25% of a system’s cost for residential customers (capped at $1,000), with interest deductions possible if the system is financed with certain secure loans. APS is one of the electric companies here and they offer money, but we are with SRP, the other one. I haven't heard yet what they offer, if anything. So it sounds like it may be more cost effective in the near future. I think I read of an article where a guy bought a mid-range system for $16,000 (but he had a 18,000 sf house with a pool, etc, I have a condo so prob won't need something that large) and got a ck from APS for $8,000 as well as the state tax credit. His bill went from $167 in March to $100 in April (which is when it starts to warm up here and he said he kept it 75 in his house). It's said that it's an investment that pays off in 5 to 10 years.

fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

depends

does arizona give rebates like california does?

http://www.azsolarcenter.com/

Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

http://www.solarliving.org/index.cfm

These folks are a great resource and if you are ever in the northern CA area, they are a must see!

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Going Solar?

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05