IndiaDivine.org

plastic-

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I homeschooled my son for a year. We both loved it. My DH and his mother were so unsupportive that they nearly had me in tears (of rage, frustration too) many times. When my son went back to school, he was far above his peers and very comfortable in the areas he previously struggled in (like writing essays, etc). Last year was his first year back. We had some problems. His teacher kept calling him a know-it-all. I went and asked the Princ if it was because they discouraged him actually knowing, or did they discourage talking about things or what exactly was wrong with knowing and talking about things? Or maybe he knew more than the teach and SHE was uncomfortable with that. I would love to go back to homeschooling, but know I couldn't handle it right now. Lynda <lurine wrote:

Homeschool <g> And that way they wouldn't have to read "Lies My Teacher Told Me"

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 19, 2005 3:01 PM

Re: plastic

but then the gas to get to work. I did used to live in the sticks, Apache Junction. It wasn't any better and the commute if there was no traffic was 40 mins, with traffic, it took over 2 hours to get my kids to school. I never had time for anything.Lynda <lurine wrote:

Welllllll, green houses, organic foods and live in the sticks <g>

LyndaVersion: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.12/77 - Release 8/18/05Jonnie

Well, if you decide to do it again, I've got enough stuff and books for your DH and mil to read to keep them so busy that they won't be able to be unsupportive!

I guess most folks don't realise that quite a few presidents, supreme court justices and Einstein were all homeschooled and that colleges such as Stanford and Harvard actively recruit homeschoolers because they routinely out score p.s. students on all college entrance exams AND are less likely to drop out!

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:46 PM

Re: plastic-

I homeschooled my son for a year. We both loved it. My DH and his mother were so unsupportive that they nearly had me in tears (of rage, frustration too) many times. When my son went back to school, he was far above his peers and very comfortable in the areas he previously struggled in (like writing essays, etc). Last year was his first year back. We had some problems. His teacher kept calling him a know-it-all. I went and asked the Princ if it was because they discouraged him actually knowing, or did they discourage talking about things or what exactly was wrong with knowing and talking about things? Or maybe he knew more than the teach and SHE was uncomfortable with that. I would love to go back to homeschooling, but know I couldn't handle it right now. Lynda <lurine wrote:

Homeschool <g> And that way they wouldn't have to read "Lies My Teacher Told Me"

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

but then the gas to get to work. I did used to live in the sticks, Apache Junction. It wasn't any better and the commute if there was no traffic was 40 mins, with traffic, it took over 2 hours to get my kids to school. I never had time for anything.Lynda <lurine wrote:

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05

Hi lynda,

I do realise that and that is why I am homeschooling my two year old. He loves it.

I read him a TON of books daily. and he begs for more. and I am teaching him ABC's with a blackboard and a pad.

We don't have the distraction of a tv, so this is his funnest thing that he does all day. ( apart from playing with dirt)

I make it real fun and we go to the library often. I am teaching him in Spanish first since,my native tongue.

I did this with my older, up to kindergarten. He know goes to a Non-Mainstream school for gifted children, which I am happy with.

During the summers I continue to expose them to museums, botanical gardens, planetariums, nature trips and art galleries, in nyc. They are learning without knowing it, because they just see it as something fun and interesting. ( I have read the book by John Holt, Learning All the Time)

Its about unschooling.

-anouk

-

Lynda

8/23/2005 9:36:06 PM

Well, if you decide to do it again, I've got enough stuff and books for your DH and mil to read to keep them so busy that they won't be able to be unsupportive!

I guess most folks don't realise that quite a few presidents, supreme court justices and Einstein were all homeschooled and that colleges such as Stanford and Harvard actively recruit homeschoolers because they routinely out score p.s. students on all college entrance exams AND are less likely to drop out!

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:46 PM

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

We unschool. No organized anything. The kidlets all taught themselves to read (some as early as 3) and to do math. Life is unschooling, unschooling is life and where ever their fancy takes them is where we go. And, so far they have been offered scholarships to colleges from Alaska to Scotland.

Lynda

-

zurumato

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 7:41 PM

Hi lynda,

I do realise that and that is why I am homeschooling my two year old. He loves it.

I read him a TON of books daily. and he begs for more. and I am teaching him ABC's with a blackboard and a pad.

We don't have the distraction of a tv, so this is his funnest thing that he does all day. ( apart from playing with dirt)

I make it real fun and we go to the library often. I am teaching him in Spanish first since,my native tongue.

I did this with my older, up to kindergarten. He know goes to a Non-Mainstream school for gifted children, which I am happy with.

During the summers I continue to expose them to museums, botanical gardens, planetariums, nature trips and art galleries, in nyc. They are learning without knowing it, because they just see it as something fun and interesting. ( I have read the book by John Holt, Learning All the Time)

Its about unschooling.

-anouk

that teacher doesn't sound like she has got the right psychology for children. The child and the teacher have to be a match,

otherwise it is a diservice to the child. It is a shame that happened to him.

I hope things are better this year for him.

-

Jonnie Hellens

8/23/2005 5:46:46 PM

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Colleges around here also really like the homeschoolers. They are often allowed to take college credit classes too. It's amazing how anything can be turned into a learning situation, when they just think it's fun. We had this electrical kit that we would get out and put all sorts of things together. He was learning about polarity and everything else, but having a blast. In fact he's said his fav subject is science, probably because of all the 'experiments' we would do. Nothing like hands on learning! We would go to the Science Museum here a lot too. In math, he's in the next grade up and loves it. Before we homeschooled, he absolutely hated reading and writing. It took a while to uncode what school had done. Once he realized how fun reading actually is, he took off. We started real slow on writing and he found that wasn't too bad either and is really comfortable now writing any essay or whatever.

Lynda <lurine wrote:

We unschool. No organized anything. The kidlets all taught themselves to read (some as early as 3) and to do math. Life is unschooling, unschooling is life and where ever their fancy takes them is where we go. And, so far they have been offered scholarships to colleges from Alaska to Scotland.

Lynda

-

zurumato

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 7:41 PM

Hi lynda,

Its about unschooling.

-anoukVersion: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05Jonnie