> For basic rice:

>

> 2 cups rice (medium grain)

> 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth

> 1 tsp. salt

> 1 tbsp. olive oil

>

> Heat EVOO in pain, add rice and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Pour

in broth and salt. Stir and then pour into pyrex dish with lid.

Bake for about 25 minutes (this will depend on type of rice and how

your oven works. Every oven is different). If the rice is just

about done, take out of oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to

finish the cooking. If it isn't almost done, return to the oven for

5 to 10 minute intervals.

>

> For Mexican Rice:

>

> Reduce broth to 1-1/2 cups.

>

> Make 2 cups of Roasted tomato-Jalapeno Salsa as follows:

>

> 1 pound (2 medium-large round or 6 to 8 plum) ripe tomatoes

> 2 to 3 fresh jalapeno chiles

> 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled

> Salt 1 1/2 tsp.

> 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped

> 1 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro

>

> Roast tomatoes on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler

until blackened on 1 side (about 6 minutes), turn and roast on the

other side. Cool and peel, collecting all the juices with the

tomatoes.

>

> While the tomatoes are roasting, roast the chiles and unpeeled

garlic directly on an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium

heat, turning occasionally until soft (they'll have black spots). [i

roast mine on the BBQ after rubbing them with EVOO]. Chiles take

about 5 to 10 minutes and garlic about 15 minutes.

>

> In a large mortar or using a small dish food processor, pound or

whir the chiles, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a coarse-

textured puree. [i do this on a cutting board by finely chopping the

chiles and garlic and then using the side of a big knife to " smear "

the chopped bits back and forth with the salt]. Add the tomatoes

including juice and work into a coarse salsa. Add onion and1/2 cup

of the cilantro.

>

> Now, some folks use a dutch oven or an oven proof sauce pan. I use

a regular stainless steel skillet and then pour the mixture into

pyrex (you can see through it and tell better when the rice is

done). Heat the oil over medium heat and add the rice. Stire fry

for about 5 minutes. Add salsa and stir for a minute as the salsa

sears and releases a yummy smell. Add broth and remaining salt.

Bring to a boil and then pour into the pyrex (or, if you are using

the dutch oven or oven proof sauce pan, put on the lid) and place in

the oven.

>

> Bake as for basic rice.

>

> " Classic white rice " in Mexico has onion in. So you can add 1/2 a

white onion (in Mexico they use white onions, not yellow or red, over

90% of the time) when you are stir frying the rice.

>

> You can also use any other type of salsa or mole or enchilada

sauce. Experiment. It makes for yummy rice.

>

> You can also make a great rice for a Chinese stir fry by adding soy

sauce or 5 spice to the basic plain rice.

> -

> Jonnie Hellens

>

> Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:55 PM

> Re: plastic

>

>

> Oh Oh, tell me how please?

>

> Lynda <lurine@s...> wrote:

> Well, the best rice in the world is baked! Nice and light and

evenly cooked! And you can just pop it in and forget it!

>

> Lynda

>

>

>

> Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release Date:

8/23/05

Anyone have a recipe for the Jamaican dish Rice & peas? I believe that there are red kidney beans in it and probably thyme, but what else. Help please?

The Valley Vegan........heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

That sounds good - but I would not put the salt in if you have blood pressure problems.Jo , "Lynda" wrote:> Here's my favorite recipe and you'll never go back to the "regular" type again!> > Lynda> > Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.> > For basic rice:> > 2 cups rice (medium grain)> 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth> 1 tsp. salt> 1 tbsp. olive oil> > Heat EVOO in pain, add rice and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Pour in broth and salt. Stir and then pour into pyrex dish with lid. Bake for about 25 minutes (this will depend on type of rice and how your oven works. Every oven is different). If the rice is just about done, take out of oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to finish the cooking. If it isn't almost

done, return to the oven for 5 to 10 minute intervals.> > For Mexican Rice:> > Reduce broth to 1-1/2 cups.> > Make 2 cups of Roasted tomato-Jalapeno Salsa as follows:> > 1 pound (2 medium-large round or 6 to 8 plum) ripe tomatoes> 2 to 3 fresh jalapeno chiles> 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled> Salt 1 1/2 tsp.> 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped> 1 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro> > Roast tomatoes on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler until blackened on 1 side (about 6 minutes), turn and roast on the other side. Cool and peel, collecting all the juices with the tomatoes.> > While the tomatoes are roasting, roast the chiles and unpeeled garlic directly on an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally until soft (they'll have black spots). [i roast mine on the BBQ after rubbing them with EVOO].

Chiles take about 5 to 10 minutes and garlic about 15 minutes.> > In a large mortar or using a small dish food processor, pound or whir the chiles, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a coarse-textured puree. [i do this on a cutting board by finely chopping the chiles and garlic and then using the side of a big knife to "smear" the chopped bits back and forth with the salt]. Add the tomatoes including juice and work into a coarse salsa. Add onion and1/2 cup of the cilantro.> > Now, some folks use a dutch oven or an oven proof sauce pan. I use a regular stainless steel skillet and then pour the mixture into pyrex (you can see through it and tell better when the rice is done). Heat the oil over medium heat and add the rice. Stire fry for about 5 minutes. Add salsa and stir for a minute as the salsa sears and releases a yummy smell. Add broth and remaining salt. Bring to a boil and then pour into the pyrex

(or, if you are using the dutch oven or oven proof sauce pan, put on the lid) and place in the oven.> > Bake as for basic rice.> > "Classic white rice" in Mexico has onion in. So you can add 1/2 a white onion (in Mexico they use white onions, not yellow or red, over 90% of the time) when you are stir frying the rice.> > You can also use any other type of salsa or mole or enchilada sauce. Experiment. It makes for yummy rice.> > You can also make a great rice for a Chinese stir fry by adding soy sauce or 5 spice to the basic plain rice.> - > Jonnie Hellens > > Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:55 PM> Re: plastic> > > Oh Oh, tell me how please?> > Lynda wrote: > Well, the best rice in the world is baked! Nice and light and evenly

cooked! And you can just pop it in and forget it!> > Lynda> > > > Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05

I would watch out on the salt as most broth ( stock?) has salt in it?

The Valley Vegan.......Lynda <lurine wrote:

Here's my favorite recipe and you'll never go back to the "regular" type again!

Lynda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

For basic rice:

2 cups rice (medium grain)

2-1/2 cups vegetable broth

1 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. olive oil

Heat EVOO in pain, add rice and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Pour in broth and salt. Stir and then pour into pyrex dish with lid. Bake for about 25 minutes (this will depend on type of rice and how your oven works. Every oven is different). If the rice is just about done, take out of oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to finish the cooking. If it isn't almost done, return to the oven for 5 to 10 minute intervals.

For Mexican Rice:

Reduce broth to 1-1/2 cups.

Make 2 cups of Roasted tomato-Jalapeno Salsa as follows:

1 pound (2 medium-large round or 6 to 8 plum) ripe tomatoes

2 to 3 fresh jalapeno chiles

3 garlic cloves, unpeeled

Salt 1 1/2 tsp.

1/2 small white onion, finely chopped

1 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro

Roast tomatoes on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler until blackened on 1 side (about 6 minutes), turn and roast on the other side. Cool and peel, collecting all the juices with the tomatoes.

While the tomatoes are roasting, roast the chiles and unpeeled garlic directly on an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally until soft (they'll have black spots). [i roast mine on the BBQ after rubbing them with EVOO]. Chiles take about 5 to 10 minutes and garlic about 15 minutes.

In a large mortar or using a small dish food processor, pound or whir the chiles, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a coarse-textured puree. [i do this on a cutting board by finely chopping the chiles and garlic and then using the side of a big knife to "smear" the chopped bits back and forth with the salt]. Add the tomatoes including juice and work into a coarse salsa. Add onion and1/2 cup of the cilantro.

Now, some folks use a dutch oven or an oven proof sauce pan. I use a regular stainless steel skillet and then pour the mixture into pyrex (you can see through it and tell better when the rice is done). Heat the oil over medium heat and add the rice. Stire fry for about 5 minutes. Add salsa and stir for a minute as the salsa sears and releases a yummy smell. Add broth and remaining salt. Bring to a boil and then pour into the pyrex (or, if you are using the dutch oven or oven proof sauce pan, put on the lid) and place in the oven.

Bake as for basic rice.

"Classic white rice" in Mexico has onion in. So you can add 1/2 a white onion (in Mexico they use white onions, not yellow or red, over 90% of the time) when you are stir frying the rice.

You can also use any other type of salsa or mole or enchilada sauce. Experiment. It makes for yummy rice.

You can also make a great rice for a Chinese stir fry by adding soy sauce or 5 spice to the basic plain rice.

-

Jonnie Hellens

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:55 PM

Re: plastic

Oh Oh, tell me how please?Lynda <lurine wrote:

Well, the best rice in the world is baked! Nice and light and evenly cooked! And you can just pop it in and forget it!

LyndaVersion: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

1 cup dried small red beans(kidney beans)2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk2 cups long-grain rice1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely diced1 large clove garlic, finely minced1 whole Scotch bonnet chile, or a 1-inch long whole habañero or any other very hot whole chile pepper1/2 teaspoon dried thymeSalt, to tasteFreshly ground black pepper, to taste

Pour beans into a colander; pick over them and discard any pebbles, debris. Rinse beans thoroughly with cold running water. Place beans in a large pot and soak them overnight in enough water to cover.

Drain beans, return them to the pot, and add 4 cups of water. Bring the beans to a boil, covered, over medium heat. Lower the heat and simmer the beans until they are not quite tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, rice, diced onions, garlic, chile pepper, thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer the rice and beans, covered, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Discard the chile pepper and serve at once. peter hurd Aug 24, 2005 12:53 AM Re: Re: Rice, was plastic

Anyone have a recipe for the Jamaican dish Rice & peas? I believe that there are red kidney beans in it and probably thyme, but what else. Help please?

The Valley Vegan........

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

I use an organic veggie broth and all that is in it is veggies. I know cause I make it myself <g> Save up all those ends and trimmings and toss them in a stock pot and let simmer a couple of hours. Strain and stick in the fridge and use within a week.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 12:55 AM

Re: Rice, was plastic

I would watch out on the salt as most broth ( stock?) has salt in it?

The Valley Vegan.......Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

For basic rice:

1 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. olive oil

Heat EVOO in pain, add rice and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Pour in broth and salt. Stir and then pour into pyrex dish with lid. Bake for about 25 minutes (this will depend on type of rice and how your oven works. Every oven is different). If the rice is just about done, take out of oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to finish the cooking. If it isn't almost done, return to the oven for 5 to 10 minute intervals.

For Mexican Rice:

Salt 1 1/2 tsp.

Roast tomatoes on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler until blackened on 1 side (about 6 minutes), turn and roast on the other side. Cool and peel, collecting all the juices with the tomatoes.

While the tomatoes are roasting, roast the chiles and unpeeled garlic directly on an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally until soft (they'll have black spots). [i roast mine on the BBQ after rubbing them with EVOO]. Chiles take about 5 to 10 minutes and garlic about 15 minutes.

In a large mortar or using a small dish food processor, pound or whir the chiles, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a coarse-textured puree. [i do this on a cutting board by finely chopping the chiles and garlic and then using the side of a big knife to "smear" the chopped bits back and forth with the salt]. Add the tomatoes including juice and work into a coarse salsa. Add onion and1/2 cup of the cilantro.

Now, some folks use a dutch oven or an oven proof sauce pan. I use a regular stainless steel skillet and then pour the mixture into pyrex (you can see through it and tell better when the rice is done). Heat the oil over medium heat and add the rice. Stire fry for about 5 minutes. Add salsa and stir for a minute as the salsa sears and releases a yummy smell. Add broth and remaining salt. Bring to a boil and then pour into the pyrex (or, if you are using the dutch oven or oven proof sauce pan, put on the lid) and place in the oven.

Bake as for basic rice.

"Classic white rice" in Mexico has onion in. So you can add 1/2 a white onion (in Mexico they use white onions, not yellow or red, over 90% of the time) when you are stir frying the rice.

You can also use any other type of salsa or mole or enchilada sauce. Experiment. It makes for yummy rice.

You can also make a great rice for a Chinese stir fry by adding soy sauce or 5 spice to the basic plain rice.

-

Jonnie Hellens

Well, the best rice in the world is baked! Nice and light and evenly cooked! And you can just pop it in and forget it!

LyndaVersion: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05

U can't see me, but I am doing THE happy dance! Thanks.Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

For basic rice:

1 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. olive oil

For Mexican Rice:

Salt 1 1/2 tsp.

Bake as for basic rice.

-

Jonnie Hellens

LyndaVersion: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

Nope, my blood pressure is really, really low. In fact while I was in the hospital after I had the stent put in, I told them that I could tell I lost a lot of blood and that my blood pressure was way too low. Nah, they told me, then they couldn't get the machine to read my blood pressure (was using one of those computerized ones) after a while, she told me to cough real good to get it to read, then said, see, it's not too low! I used to have people take my pressure again and again because they couldn't believe it was that low. It's not as low as it was then, but it's still really low.heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

That sounds good - but I would not put the salt in if you have blood pressure problems.Jo , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> Here's my favorite recipe and you'll never go back to the "regular" type again!> > Lynda> > Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.> > For basic rice:> > 2 cups rice (medium grain)> 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth> 1 tsp. salt> 1 tbsp. olive oil> > Heat EVOO in pain, add rice and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Pour in broth and salt. Stir and then pour into pyrex dish with lid. Bake for about 25 minutes (this will depend on type of rice and how your oven works. Every oven is different). If the rice is just about done, take out of oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to

finish the cooking. If it isn't almost done, return to the oven for 5 to 10 minute intervals.> > For Mexican Rice:> > Reduce broth to 1-1/2 cups.> > Make 2 cups of Roasted tomato-Jalapeno Salsa as follows:> > 1 pound (2 medium-large round or 6 to 8 plum) ripe tomatoes> 2 to 3 fresh jalapeno chiles> 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled> Salt 1 1/2 tsp.> 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped> 1 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro> > Roast tomatoes on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler until blackened on 1 side (about 6 minutes), turn and roast on the other side. Cool and peel, collecting all the juices with the tomatoes.> > While the tomatoes are roasting, roast the chiles and unpeeled garlic directly on an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally until soft (they'll have black spots).

[i roast mine on the BBQ after rubbing them with EVOO]. Chiles take about 5 to 10 minutes and garlic about 15 minutes.> > In a large mortar or using a small dish food processor, pound or whir the chiles, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a coarse-textured puree. [i do this on a cutting board by finely chopping the chiles and garlic and then using the side of a big knife to "smear" the chopped bits back and forth with the salt]. Add the tomatoes including juice and work into a coarse salsa. Add onion and1/2 cup of the cilantro.> > Now, some folks use a dutch oven or an oven proof sauce pan. I use a regular stainless steel skillet and then pour the mixture into pyrex (you can see through it and tell better when the rice is done). Heat the oil over medium heat and add the rice. Stire fry for about 5 minutes. Add salsa and stir for a minute as the salsa

sears and releases a yummy smell. Add broth and remaining salt. Bring to a boil and then pour into the pyrex (or, if you are using the dutch oven or oven proof sauce pan, put on the lid) and place in the oven.> > Bake as for basic rice.> > "Classic white rice" in Mexico has onion in. So you can add 1/2 a white onion (in Mexico they use white onions, not yellow or red, over 90% of the time) when you are stir frying the rice.> > You can also use any other type of salsa or mole or enchilada sauce. Experiment. It makes for yummy rice.> > You can also make a great rice for a Chinese stir fry by adding soy sauce or 5 spice to the basic plain rice.> - > Jonnie Hellens > > Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:55 PM>

Re: plastic> > > Oh Oh, tell me how please?> > Lynda <lurine@s...> wrote: > Well, the best rice in the world is baked! Nice and light and evenly cooked! And you can just pop it in and forget it!> > Lynda> > > > Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05Jonnie

Being very low is not always that good - could also be a sign of heart-trouble - but it sounds like you get checked out anyway.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 8:52 PM

Re: Re: Rice, was plastic

Nope, my blood pressure is really, really low. In fact while I was in the hospital after I had the stent put in, I told them that I could tell I lost a lot of blood and that my blood pressure was way too low. Nah, they told me, then they couldn't get the machine to read my blood pressure (was using one of those computerized ones) after a while, she told me to cough real good to get it to read, then said, see, it's not too low! I used to have people take my pressure again and again because they couldn't believe it was that low. It's not as low as it was then, but it's still really low.heartwerk <heartwork wrote: That sounds good - but I would not put the salt in if you have blood pressure problems.Jo , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> Here's my favorite recipe and you'll never go back to the "regular" type again!> > Lynda> > Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.> > For basic rice:> > 2 cups rice (medium grain)> 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth> 1 tsp. salt> 1 tbsp. olive oil> > Heat EVOO in pain, add rice and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Pour in broth and salt. Stir and then pour into pyrex dish with lid. Bake for about 25 minutes (this will depend on type of rice and how your oven works. Every oven is different). If the rice is just about done, take out of oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to finish the cooking. If it isn't almost done, return to the oven for 5 to 10 minute intervals.> > For Mexican Rice:> > Reduce broth to 1-1/2 cups.> > Make 2 cups of Roasted tomato-Jalapeno Salsa as follows:> > 1 pound (2 medium-large round or 6 to 8 plum) ripe tomatoes> 2 to 3 fresh jalapeno chiles> 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled> Salt 1 1/2 tsp.> 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped> 1 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro> > Roast tomatoes on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler until blackened on 1 side (about 6 minutes), turn and roast on the other side. Cool and peel, collecting all the juices with the tomatoes.> > While the tomatoes are roasting, roast the chiles and unpeeled garlic directly on an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally until soft (they'll have black spots). [i roast mine on the BBQ after rubbing them with EVOO]. Chiles take about 5 to 10 minutes and garlic about 15 minutes.> > In a large mortar or using a small dish food processor, pound or whir the chiles, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a coarse-textured puree. [i do this on a cutting board by finely chopping the chiles and garlic and then using the side of a big knife to "smear" the chopped bits back and forth with the salt]. Add the tomatoes including juice and work into a coarse salsa. Add onion and1/2 cup of the cilantro.> > Now, some folks use a dutch oven or an oven proof sauce pan. I use a regular stainless steel skillet and then pour the mixture into pyrex (you can see through it and tell better when the rice is done). Heat the oil over medium heat and add the rice. Stire fry for about 5 minutes. Add salsa and stir for a minute as the salsa sears and releases a yummy smell. Add broth and remaining salt. Bring to a boil and then pour into the pyrex (or, if you are using the dutch oven or oven proof sauce pan, put on the lid) and place in the oven.> > Bake as for basic rice.> > "Classic white rice" in Mexico has onion in. So you can add 1/2 a white onion (in Mexico they use white onions, not yellow or red, over 90% of the time) when you are stir frying the rice.> > You can also use any other type of salsa or mole or enchilada sauce. Experiment. It makes for yummy rice.> > You can also make a great rice for a Chinese stir fry by adding soy sauce or 5 spice to the basic plain rice.> - > Jonnie Hellens > > Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:55 PM> Re: plastic> > > Oh Oh, tell me how please?> > Lynda <lurine@s...> wrote: > Well, the best rice in the world is baked! Nice and light and evenly cooked! And you can just pop it in and forget it!> > Lynda> > > > Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/80 - Release 8/23/05Jonnie