IndiaDivine.org

Row of Charles' investigation on complementary therapies

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The may well be a bunch of inbred, spongers and oiks, but Charley boy seems about the most sensible ( if at all possible ), and I do like it when he comes up with ideas that upset a lot of people - usually upper class twits.

Incidentally, my NHS physiotherapist also does acupunture - once considered alternative.

The Valley Vegan........heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

I'm not a fan of the royal family, but thought this was a good idea.JoA report commissioned by the Prince of Wales into the cost of complementary medicines has sparked controversy. Prince Charles, an enthusiast for alternative medicine, asked an independent economist to work out how much such therapies could save the NHS. Christopher Smallwood, former economics advisor to Barclays Bank, will submit his report to ministers in this autumn. But a leading complementary medicine expert said such analyses should be left to the official NHS watchdog. Unproved therapy Professor Edzard Ernst, professor of complementary and alternative medicine at the University of Exeter warned that otherwise, unproved treatments could be integrated into the NHS at the expense of other therapies. "Potentially,

that could be quite detrimental to the NHS," he said. He accused the report, commissioned by Prince Charles but funded by two independent charities, of introducing double standards in healthcare provision. "One standard exists already for mainstream medicine and a new standard is being created for complementary medicine." It is entirely inappropriate for anyone to be commenting on the report when it has not even been completed, let alone published Paddy Haverson, the Prince's communications secretary He believes the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), which conducts cost analyses for conventional medicines, should be the one to assess the cost-benefits for the NHS of providing therapies such as homeopathy. "The issue itself - the question of whether it saves money or costs extra money - is crucial. "It will absolutely determine the future of complimentary medicine in

this country. "Because it is so important, it is essential to base it on high quality research. That has to come from a team of experts well versed in health economics in medicine and complementary medicine," Professor Ernst said. Paddy Haverson, the Prince's communications secretary, said: "It is entirely inappropriate for anyone to be commenting on the report when it has not even been completed, let alone published." He said the Prince had asked Mr Smallwood to conduct the analysis because he was independent of the Prince's Foundation for Integrated Health, which promotes alternative medicine therapies. This month, the Patients Association has called for all GPs to provide patients with the choice of using complementary medicine where it had been proven to work. But the British Medical Association said while access should be more "equitable", there needed to be better regulation. Evan

Harris, Liberal Democrat science spokesman, said: "I am very dubious about whether NHS money that could be spend on things that have been shown to work should be spent on things, however popular they are." He said any cost-benefit review of complementary medicines should be based on peer-reviewed, non-biased reports.

I like reading about royalty, the things they do, but does his son still hunt?

-

peter hurd

8/25/2005 7:03:25 AM

Re: Row of Charles' investigation on complementary therapies

The may well be a bunch of inbred, spongers and oiks, but Charley boy seems about the most sensible ( if at all possible ), and I do like it when he comes up with ideas that upset a lot of people - usually upper class twits.

Incidentally, my NHS physiotherapist also does acupunture - once considered alternative.

I'm not a fan of the royal family, but thought this was a good idea.JoA report commissioned by the Prince of Wales into the cost of complementary medicines has sparked controversy. Prince Charles, an enthusiast for alternative medicine, asked an independent economist to work out how much such therapies could save the NHS. Christopher Smallwood, former economics advisor to Barclays Bank, will submit his report to ministers in this autumn. But a leading complementary medicine expert said such analyses should be left to the official NHS watchdog. Unproved therapy Professor Edzard Ernst, professor of complementary and alternative medicine at the University of Exeter warned that otherwise, unproved treatments could be integrated into the NHS at the expense of other therapies. "Potentially, that could be quite detrimental to the NHS," he said. He accused the report, commissioned by Prince Charles but funded by two independent charities, of introducing double standards in healthcare provision. "One standard exists already for mainstream medicine and a new standard is being created for complementary medicine." It is entirely inappropriate for anyone to be commenting on the report when it has not even been completed, let alone published Paddy Haverson, the Prince's communications secretary He believes the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), which conducts cost analyses for conventional medicines, should be the one to assess the cost-benefits for the NHS of providing therapies such as homeopathy. "The issue itself - the question of whether it saves money or costs extra money - is crucial. "It will absolutely determine the future of complimentary medicine in this country. "Because it is so important, it is essential to base it on high quality research. That has to come from a team of experts well versed in health economics in medicine and complementary medicine," Professor Ernst said. Paddy Haverson, the Prince's communications secretary, said: "It is entirely inappropriate for anyone to be commenting on the report when it has not even been completed, let alone published." He said the Prince had asked Mr Smallwood to conduct the analysis because he was independent of the Prince's Foundation for Integrated Health, which promotes alternative medicine therapies. This month, the Patients Association has called for all GPs to provide patients with the choice of using complementary medicine where it had been proven to work. But the British Medical Association said while access should be more "equitable", there needed to be better regulation. Evan Harris, Liberal Democrat science spokesman, said: "I am very dubious about whether NHS money that could be spend on things that have been shown to work should be spent on things, however popular they are." He said any cost-benefit review of complementary medicines should be based on peer-reviewed, non-biased reports.

There are some alternative therapies at surgeries now. Ours is considering homeopathy! Unfortunately the tablets have lactose so are not vegan - but they may well do the mother tincture if they know what they are doing, and then some of them will be vegan.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Thursday, August 25, 2005 11:03 AM

I'm not a fan of the royal family, but thought this was a good idea.JoA report commissioned by the Prince of Wales into the cost of complementary medicines has sparked controversy. Prince Charles, an enthusiast for alternative medicine, asked an independent economist to work out how much such therapies could save the NHS. Christopher Smallwood, former economics advisor to Barclays Bank, will submit his report to ministers in this autumn. But a leading complementary medicine expert said such analyses should be left to the official NHS watchdog. Unproved therapy Professor Edzard Ernst, professor of complementary and alternative medicine at the University of Exeter warned that otherwise, unproved treatments could be integrated into the NHS at the expense of other therapies. "Potentially, that could be quite detrimental to the NHS," he said. He accused the report, commissioned by Prince Charles but funded by two independent charities, of introducing double standards in healthcare provision. "One standard exists already for mainstream medicine and a new standard is being created for complementary medicine." It is entirely inappropriate for anyone to be commenting on the report when it has not even been completed, let alone published Paddy Haverson, the Prince's communications secretary He believes the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), which conducts cost analyses for conventional medicines, should be the one to assess the cost-benefits for the NHS of providing therapies such as homeopathy. "The issue itself - the question of whether it saves money or costs extra money - is crucial. "It will absolutely determine the future of complimentary medicine in this country. "Because it is so important, it is essential to base it on high quality research. That has to come from a team of experts well versed in health economics in medicine and complementary medicine," Professor Ernst said. Paddy Haverson, the Prince's communications secretary, said: "It is entirely inappropriate for anyone to be commenting on the report when it has not even been completed, let alone published." He said the Prince had asked Mr Smallwood to conduct the analysis because he was independent of the Prince's Foundation for Integrated Health, which promotes alternative medicine therapies. This month, the Patients Association has called for all GPs to provide patients with the choice of using complementary medicine where it had been proven to work. But the British Medical Association said while access should be more "equitable", there needed to be better regulation. Evan Harris, Liberal Democrat science spokesman, said: "I am very dubious about whether NHS money that could be spend on things that have been shown to work should be spent on things, however popular they are." He said any cost-benefit review of complementary medicines should be based on peer-reviewed, non-biased reports.

The boys didn't when Diana was alive because she didn't allow it - but they do now. The Queen was in the papers a couple of years ago after beating a pheasant to death when out shooting. As I say - I am not a fan!

Jo

-

zurumato

Thursday, August 25, 2005 3:12 PM

-

peter hurd

We aren't fans of either the hunts or polo. In both cases they ride the horses into the ground!

Gramma (Seligman's Blaze) was a quarter horse we rescued from a polo string. She was a real sweet thing and loved the kids and loved to run gymkhana. And, yes, she "liked" to do it.

We were told she was out of control and the kidlets would get hurt riding her. Not the case! She responded to voice commands and hated "cowboy" methods. When she wasn't actually in the ring, she wore nothing on her head and she followed the kidlets around. Occasionally she'd get interested in something else and they'd grab hold of her forelock and aim her in the right direction.

Of course, we never used spurs or whips. don't believe in them! AND, we whooped the pants of all the pros! Which was great advertising for no whips/no spurs!

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Thursday, August 25, 2005 10:25 AM

The boys didn't when Diana was alive because she didn't allow it - but they do now. The Queen was in the papers a couple of years ago after beating a pheasant to death when out shooting. As I say - I am not a fan!

Jo

-

zurumato

-

peter hurd

NHS - National Health Service? Is this what the $ goes in and out of for healthcare? GP - General Practitioner? How can it be detrimental to NHS? Do they actually mean that it's detrimental to the docs since it takes away from their bus unless they do alternative healthcare?peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

I'm not a fan of the royal family, but thought this was a good idea.JoA report commissioned by the Prince of Wales into the cost of complementary medicines has sparked controversy. Prince Charles, an enthusiast for alternative medicine, asked an independent economist to work out how much such therapies could save the NHS. Christopher Smallwood, former economics advisor to Barclays Bank, will submit his report to ministers in this autumn. But a leading complementary medicine expert said such analyses should be left to the official NHS watchdog. Unproved therapy Professor Edzard Ernst, professor of complementary and alternative medicine at the University of Exeter warned that otherwise, unproved treatments could be integrated into the NHS at the expense of other therapies. "Potentially,

that could be quite detrimental to the NHS," he said. He accused the report, commissioned by Prince Charles but funded by two independent charities, of introducing double standards in healthcare provision. "One standard exists already for mainstream medicine and a new standard is being created for complementary medicine." It is entirely inappropriate for anyone to be commenting on the report when it has not even been completed, let alone published Paddy Haverson, the Prince's communications secretary He believes the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), which conducts cost analyses for conventional medicines, should be the one to assess the cost-benefits for the NHS of providing therapies such as homeopathy. "The issue itself - the question of whether it saves money or costs extra money - is crucial. "It will absolutely determine the future of complimentary medicine in

this country. "Because it is so important, it is essential to base it on high quality research. That has to come from a team of experts well versed in health economics in medicine and complementary medicine," Professor Ernst said. Paddy Haverson, the Prince's communications secretary, said: "It is entirely inappropriate for anyone to be commenting on the report when it has not even been completed, let alone published." He said the Prince had asked Mr Smallwood to conduct the analysis because he was independent of the Prince's Foundation for Integrated Health, which promotes alternative medicine therapies. This month, the Patients Association has called for all GPs to provide patients with the choice of using complementary medicine where it had been proven to work. But the British Medical Association said while access should be more "equitable", there needed to be better regulation. Evan

Harris, Liberal Democrat science spokesman, said: "I am very dubious about whether NHS money that could be spend on things that have been shown to work should be spent on things, however popular they are." He said any cost-benefit review of complementary medicines should be based on peer-reviewed, non-biased reports.

Personally, I dont believe any horse should have anything on its back other than its skin.

The Valley Vegan.........Lynda <lurine wrote:

We aren't fans of either the hunts or polo. In both cases they ride the horses into the ground!

Gramma (Seligman's Blaze) was a quarter horse we rescued from a polo string. She was a real sweet thing and loved the kids and loved to run gymkhana. And, yes, she "liked" to do it.

We were told she was out of control and the kidlets would get hurt riding her. Not the case! She responded to voice commands and hated "cowboy" methods. When she wasn't actually in the ring, she wore nothing on her head and she followed the kidlets around. Occasionally she'd get interested in something else and they'd grab hold of her forelock and aim her in the right direction.

Of course, we never used spurs or whips. don't believe in them! AND, we whooped the pants of all the pros! Which was great advertising for no whips/no spurs!

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Thursday, August 25, 2005 10:25 AM

Jo

-

zurumato

-

peter hurd