Guest guest

for vijay,

j'aime les oiseaux aussi.

-anouk

-

Rick Stevens

8/25/2005 4:45:24 AM

[Vegan_Animal_Rights] Top 10 Household Dangers to Pet Birds

Top 10 Household Dangers to Pet BirdsSource >http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/birds/tp/birddangers.htmFrom Lianne McLeod,Your Guide to Exotic Pets. Pet birds are extremely susceptible to a wide varietyof household dangers. There are numerous reasons forthis, including their small size, rapid metabolism,and sensitive respiratory systems. Of course, withparrots, there is also an intense curiosity and needto explore everything with their beaks. Owners need tobe vigilant about protecting their birds from dangersthroughout the home. 1) PoisoningBirds are susceptible to a wide range of toxicsubstances which can injure or kill birds either byingestion (eating) or inhalation (breathing them in).One of the most common toxicities in pet birds isinsecticides sprayed in the home. Others includeammonia, bleach, oven cleaner, glues, nail polishremover, paint, perfumes, heavy metals (e.g. lead andzinc). Poisonous plants are also a danger.2) Non Stick Coatings (when overheated)This technically falls under poisoning but warrants aspecial mention because use of these products is verycommon. When overheated, the non stick coating emitsfumes that are very toxic to birds when inhaled. Thiscoating is found on non stick cookware but also waffleirons, bread machines, irons, ironing board covers,curling irons, space heaters, blow dryers and more.3) Open WaterToilets are the most common source of open water inthe house, and it is all too easy for your pet bird tofall in and drown. Other water sources to watch forare sinks, bathtubs, buckets, and water bowls of dogsor cats. The kitchen can also be a dangerous place ifthere are hot pots of water on the stove.4) Inappropriate FoodsThese range from those that are just unhealthy tothose that might kill pet birds. Anything high insugar or salt is inappropriate, as are fatty foods.More serious are things such as chocolate, which istoxic to many pets. Caffeinated or alcoholic beveragesare also dangerous. Avocado should also be avoided(there is some debate about how toxic avocado is -better safe than sorry).5) Electrical CordsBirds explore with their beaks, and exposed electricalcords pose a danger if bitten. Keep cords andappliances away from the bird cage, and conceal cordsas much as possible. Covering exposed cords withcorrugated plastic tubing (available at hardwarestores) may help reduce the danger.6) Poorly Made ToysEven toys designed for parrots may not be safe forthem. Make sure your parrots (especially larger ones)are not able to break off or remove any parts andswallow them. Rope toys can also be dangerous if theyare long enough to get tangles up in, and there havebeen cases of parrots separating the strands onbraided ropes, inserting their heads, and stranglingas a result.7) Ceiling FansCeiling fans pose a real danger to flighted birds -serious injuries have occurred when birds fly intothem. Birds tend to be nervous with things movingabove them, so may be stressed out by a ceiling fanrunning near their cage.8) Windows, Doors, and MirrorsWindows and mirrors pose a danger to birds who mightfly into them. Keeping wings clipped helps toalleviate this risk, although even clipped birds cantry a run at a window or mirror. Of course, openwindows and exterior doors leave a chance at escape.Even interior doors can be risky if the bird likes tosit on the top of an open door - the bird could beinjured if the door is closed.9) Other PetsWhile birds often live happily with other householdpets, owners should always be careful when other petsare near the birds. The motion of birds can attractthe prey instinct of cats and dogs, and an infectedbite or scratch can quickly be fatal to a bird.10) Air QualityBirds are especially sensitive to contaminants in theair. Aerosol products of any kind should not be usedaround your bird. Cigarette smoke has been implicatedin respiratory disease in pet birds. Carbon monoxideis also dangerous to birds, so use a carbon monoxidedetector in the home, and be careful not to run yourvehicle in an attached garage.

A few comments:-

1) PoisoningBirds are susceptible to a wide range of toxicsubstances which can injure or kill birds either byingestion (eating) or inhalation (breathing them in).One of the most common toxicities in pet birds isinsecticides sprayed in the home. Others includeammonia, bleach, oven cleaner, glues, nail polishremover, paint, perfumes, heavy metals (e.g. lead andzinc). Poisonous plants are also a danger.

~~~It is best to avoid most of these whether you have birds or not.3) Open WaterToilets are the most common source of open water inthe house, and it is all too easy for your pet bird tofall in and drown. Other water sources to watch forare sinks, bathtubs, buckets, and water bowls of dogsor cats. The kitchen can also be a dangerous place ifthere are hot pots of water on the stove.

~~~For the sake of hygiene it is best not to have animals in the kitchen, or bathroom.6) Poorly Made ToysEven toys designed for parrots may not be safe forthem. Make sure your parrots (especially larger ones)are not able to break off or remove any parts andswallow them. Rope toys can also be dangerous if theyare long enough to get tangles up in, and there havebeen cases of parrots separating the strands onbraided ropes, inserting their heads, and stranglingas a result.

~~~Most parrot toys are not suitable. It is best to buy ones made of wood that is okay for them to chew. The chain links should be the right size so they don't get their claws caught in them, and not so big as to get their heads caught in them. We had a budgie a few years ago who was always into all kinds of trouble, and a couple of times he got his claw caught in the bell in his cage. Luckily we were there, and my husband rescued him.8) Windows, Doors, and MirrorsWindows and mirrors pose a danger to birds who mightfly into them. Keeping wings clipped helps toalleviate this risk, although even clipped birds cantry a run at a window or mirror. Of course, openwindows and exterior doors leave a chance at escape.Even interior doors can be risky if the bird likes tosit on the top of an open door - the bird could beinjured if the door is closed.

~~~I definitely don't agree with clipping their wings at all. It is cruel. They are birds and they are meant to fly. (It would be like putting a ball and chain around a persons leg) Cover mirrors with towels or sheets, and pull the curtains - then they won't injure themselves by flying into them.9) Other PetsWhile birds often live happily with other householdpets, owners should always be careful when other petsare near the birds. The motion of birds can attractthe prey instinct of cats and dogs, and an infectedbite or scratch can quickly be fatal to a bird.

~~~My personal belief is that it is cruel to keep a bird where there are hunting animals. If you have cats or dogs don't get a bird.~~~My advise is to let the birds fly in one room only - for their safety and your hygiene. They don't need to be out for hours at a time - just regularly. They do need lots of attention as they like playing with people, and music or radio left on when you are out. Our budgie loved heavy metal - thrash particularly.

Jo

We've also done bird rescues and birds and other critters is strickly a case by case, individual critter thing. Parrots are reknown for attacking small critters (small dogs and cats) and can be quite deadly, so it isn't simply a case of protecting the birds from critters but works both ways. Birds are frequently guilty of terrorising other critters!

As to keeping birds at all, well, I don't agree with it unless folks have BIG or open platform "cages." We don't have any birds at this time but when we did, we had an outside aviary as well as the indoor cages. All the birds got their "playtime" each day outside and during the summers, we simply left the window open so they could go in and out as they choose (the aviary was attached to the house).

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy 9) Other PetsWhile birds often live happily with other householdpets, owners should always be careful when other petsare near the birds. The motion of birds can attractthe prey instinct of cats and dogs, and an infectedbite or scratch can quickly be fatal to a bird.

~~~My personal belief is that it is cruel to keep a bird where there are hunting animals. If you have cats or dogs don't get a bird.~~~My advise is to let the birds fly in one room only - for their safety and your hygiene. They don't need to be out for hours at a time - just regularly. They do need lots of attention as they like playing with people, and music or radio left on when you are out. Our budgie loved heavy metal - thrash particularly.

Jo

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/82 - Release 8/25/05

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/82 - Release 8/25/05

My son had a parakeet that adored my dog. He would follow him around and pull on my poor guys fur (he's really soft). My dog would look at me like 'help please? I can't get a stinkin' nap in here!'. Lynda <lurine wrote:

We've also done bird rescues and birds and other critters is strickly a case by case, individual critter thing. Parrots are reknown for attacking small critters (small dogs and cats) and can be quite deadly, so it isn't simply a case of protecting the birds from critters but works both ways. Birds are frequently guilty of terrorising other critters!

As to keeping birds at all, well, I don't agree with it unless folks have BIG or open platform "cages." We don't have any birds at this time but when we did, we had an outside aviary as well as the indoor cages. All the birds got their "playtime" each day outside and during the summers, we simply left the window open so they could go in and out as they choose (the aviary was attached to the house).

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy 9) Other PetsWhile birds often live happily with other householdpets, owners should always be careful when other petsare near the birds. The motion of birds can attractthe prey instinct of cats and dogs, and an infectedbite or scratch can quickly be fatal to a bird.

Jo

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/82 - Release 8/25/05Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/82 - Release 8/25/05Jonnie