IndiaDivine.org

Florida

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We happen to live in one of those pockets of civilization in Florida. Now bear in mind since FL is one of the fastest growing states in the US the white trash & rednecks (like some of our beloved neighbors) are being diluted. Nothing like seeing a jacked up 2 story tall pick up blasting hardcore rap with a rebel flag on it.

We chose to move to Sarasota from NYC for a variety of reasons including The Ringling museum, The Ringling Art Design school, The Van Wezel Performing Arts Center, The opera house, the botanical gardens, the Mote Aquarium, the 1/2 dozen new librarys, etc. Sarasota has a very, very strong arts scene and cultural scene which is primarily funded by rich snowbirds, part time canadians, & european tourists. It also is blessed with great natural beauty. Our beaches on Siesta Key are regularily voted the best in the country. Best of all NYC is still only two hours away on Jet Blue for $80 + - each way.

Now as I said a pocket of civilization. As far as I can tell the two biggest attraction for the natives are the nude girls bars on Saturdays and the Mc Baptist churches on Sundays.

Taga

-

fraggle

8/25/2005 4:11:18 PM

Re: Florida

*shrug*

it is an entire region of our country tho

Jo Cwazy Aug 25, 2005 1:01 PM Re: Florida

I suppose because there's not much about it on our news over here. Certainly sounds like a place to avoid.

Jo

-----

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Wow that is amazing. Unbeliaveble price!

I have just sent that link to my SIL, who's looking for a house upstate ny.

I didn't know such deals existed on Ebay.

When I save up the money, I will look there.

Thanks

-

Lynda

8/25/2005 4:08:23 PM

It is amazing to me, when you think NY = NYC, just how cheap it is to buy in upstate NY. We've been looking because we want more land. Here's one for you, 41 acres, BIG house and only $165,000! http://cgi.ebay.com/House-Land-Acreage-in-Upstate-New-York-For-Sale_W0QQitemZ4401495631QQcategoryZ12605QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lynda

-

zurumato

Thursday, August 25, 2005 7:58 AM

Hi Lynda,

during the first months after I moved here to florida,, I was having a very hard time adjusting. Yes, Dubya rules in my town.

I am from manhattan, and just wanted to go back. I was used to hopping in and out of the subway.

was very independent, never asked anybody for anything.

upon moving here, I was my husbands parasite and he was my chauffer. I was basically stuck and trapped in a suburban jail.

being that , I had never driven a car and the nearest store was miles away.

I was in shock at everything, that walmart had a Hunting department and that they where blasting country music. ( I grew up in a Jewish, Hispanic, Greek and Irish neighborhood) had never been in a walmart.

Most of all I missed Sidewalks! I love walking and seeing people, not cars.

People here were shocked that someone in their 30's could not drive. The radios have a million christian stations.

I would call my friends up to complain about how bad I had it. (they got tired of this) and often I would cry at nights (feeling terribly homesick).

Now, I am making the best of it. I have my permit, take lessons, and am enrolled in college. I have joined VeganMeet up at Meetup. com and found vegans, am seeking out people like me who share my values. I found an artist community in my town. My kids love the bakcyard and all the space my house has.

It's not all bad. the sunsets are beautiful, and the beaches peaceful. most of the sunsets are violet/pink color.

I am seeking out places of nature, parks, trees, Wildlife and plan to volunteer at a bird sanctuary, as soon as my driving is perfect.

My husband and I are saving up, to buy cheap land in Upstate NY, while it is still cheap! Since global warming reports fraggle sent says florida will be unihabitable soon!

I went to manhattan for the summer and found it a bit noisy and stressful. Go figure!

-anouk

-

Lynda

8/25/2005 2:30:28 AM

Re: Eat more veggies & fruits (dah)

I really feel sorry for folks that move to Florida that aren't crackers (for our other side of the pond folks, crackers are folks from Georgia and northern Florida and the area known as the panhandle) or aren't prepared for the culture shock!

Son #3's best friend moved there because her mother had moved to be closer to her mother. She lasted 3 months and then came screaming back to CA!

She said everytime she turned around someone was asking her who she voted for and giving her one of those looks like "you better say George W."

Lynda

You want beautiful old house, tons of land and cheap prices, look in Maine. Weather can't be much different than upstate NY.

Lynda

-

zurumato

Thursday, August 25, 2005 2:57 PM

Thanks

-

Lynda

8/25/2005 4:08:23 PM

It is amazing to me, when you think NY = NYC, just how cheap it is to buy in upstate NY. We've been looking because we want more land. Here's one for you, 41 acres, BIG house and only $165,000! http://cgi.ebay.com/House-Land-Acreage-in-Upstate-New-York-For-Sale_W0QQitemZ4401495631QQcategoryZ12605QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lynda

-

zurumato

Thursday, August 25, 2005 7:58 AM

Hi Lynda,

during the first months after I moved here to florida,, I was having a very hard time adjusting. Yes, Dubya rules in my town.

I am from manhattan, and just wanted to go back. I was used to hopping in and out of the subway.

was very independent, never asked anybody for anything.

upon moving here, I was my husbands parasite and he was my chauffer. I was basically stuck and trapped in a suburban jail.

being that , I had never driven a car and the nearest store was miles away.

I was in shock at everything, that walmart had a Hunting department and that they where blasting country music. ( I grew up in a Jewish, Hispanic, Greek and Irish neighborhood) had never been in a walmart.

Most of all I missed Sidewalks! I love walking and seeing people, not cars.

People here were shocked that someone in their 30's could not drive. The radios have a million christian stations.

I would call my friends up to complain about how bad I had it. (they got tired of this) and often I would cry at nights (feeling terribly homesick).

Now, I am making the best of it. I have my permit, take lessons, and am enrolled in college. I have joined VeganMeet up at Meetup. com and found vegans, am seeking out people like me who share my values. I found an artist community in my town. My kids love the bakcyard and all the space my house has.

It's not all bad. the sunsets are beautiful, and the beaches peaceful. most of the sunsets are violet/pink color.

I am seeking out places of nature, parks, trees, Wildlife and plan to volunteer at a bird sanctuary, as soon as my driving is perfect.

My husband and I are saving up, to buy cheap land in Upstate NY, while it is still cheap! Since global warming reports fraggle sent says florida will be unihabitable soon!

I went to manhattan for the summer and found it a bit noisy and stressful. Go figure!

-anouk

-

Lynda

8/25/2005 2:30:28 AM

Re: Eat more veggies & fruits (dah)

I really feel sorry for folks that move to Florida that aren't crackers (for our other side of the pond folks, crackers are folks from Georgia and northern Florida and the area known as the panhandle) or aren't prepared for the culture shock!

Son #3's best friend moved there because her mother had moved to be closer to her mother. She lasted 3 months and then came screaming back to CA!

She said everytime she turned around someone was asking her who she voted for and giving her one of those looks like "you better say George W."

Lynda

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/82 - Release 8/25/05

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/82 - Release 8/25/05

last time i was in maine, it was pretty sad for me

my father use to have a cabin waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up past caribou...

we went back a number of years ago

and..everything had changed...wot had been forest was new homes...stretched for miles...

lotsa the family farms were gone, repleaced by home depots and wally marts

as fr weather..upstate maine has longer winters then upstate NY

i've been to maine when it snowed on memorial day..and everything was covered in ice still...

cheers

fraggle Lynda Aug 25, 2005 3:05 PM Re: Florida

You want beautiful old house, tons of land and cheap prices, look in Maine. Weather can't be much different than upstate NY.

Lynda

-

zurumato

Thanks

-

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

It's sad that things changed so much. I didn't know there was a place called Caribou - I thought they were reindeer type animals.

Jo

-

fraggle

Friday, August 26, 2005 3:18 PM

and..everything had changed...wot had been forest was new homes...stretched for miles...

i've been to maine when it snowed on memorial day..and everything was covered in ice still...

cheers

Lynda

-

zurumato

Thanks

-

finishing one by one

I blame Stephen King!

The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

cheers

Lynda

-

zurumato

Thanks

-

finishing one by one Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.